Chap 14

To All The Dreams I've Loved

Eunah’s chauffeur dropped me off at home after the game. Outside, Jaemin was waiting, listening to music with his earbuds on.

“See you tomorrow Hyeri!” Eunah and Donghae waved at me from the car.

As I got closer to Jaemin, I saw that he was focused on his phone. I pulled out one of his earbuds to get his attention to which he quickly turned his head towards me, “Were you waiting long?”

He locked his phone and took out his other earbud, taking the one in my hand from me and shook his head, “No,” he smiled.

“Oh right,” I pulled out his towel from my backpack, “Your towel.”

“Oh,” his smile began to fade as he took the towel back, “Thanks.”

“I didn’t know you played basketball,” I stated.

He beamed at me, “Yea, it’s a side thing. Why? Did I look cool playing today? Did you like my shots?” he flicked his wrist into the air as though he were shooting a basketball.

I nodded, “Uhm you looked really cool playing.”

“You should come to see me play in the future then.”

“What? Isn’t your season over since you lost today’s game?” I asked. Typically in the regular season as soon as a school loses a game they’re taken out.

He nodded looking down, “But you can still come to watch me play for fun. We can go to the park together just like old times.”

When we were kids Jaemin and I always used to go to the neighborhood park nearby to build sandcastles and watch the older kids play sand volleyball or basketball. We would always stay until sundown or when our parents came to take us home for dinner.

I nodded, “Sounds good to me.”

“Do you want to come over for dinner?” he asked pointing at his house.

I glanced over before looking back over at my house, the living room light was on and so was the light to Songhi’s room. Dad was probably back from the hospital early today.

“Maybe next time, my dad is home, I want to eat dinner with him and Songhi, you remember how my dad is,” I gave him a small smile.

“Yea,” he nodded, “Yea no I get it. Feel free to come over anytime, well then see you,” he waved and turned to his house.

I walked into my house to be greeted by my dad.

“Hi sweetie, you look cute, how was the game today?”

“Fine,” I nodded my head, “We won actually.”

“Really? That’s great,” he chuckled.

“Yea and did you know Jaemin plays basketball too?” I asked.

“Jaemin? You mean next door Jaemin?” he looked up from the stir fry he was cooking.

“Yea, next door Jaemin,” I tilted my head over to Jaemin’s house.

My dad looked down and continued to add seasoning to the stir fry, “No in fact I didn’t know. How is he by the way? It’s been ages since I’ve seen him.”

“He’s doing good.”

“That’s great, you know if you want we could invite them over for dinner one day, it’s been forever since I’ve seen the Na’s,” my dad opened up a cabinet and pulled out a few plates.

“Um no it’s okay, I don’t think we have to do that.”

“Why not? You two used to be the best of friends.”

“Yea when we were kids Dad, we’re both grown now.”

“Alright, can you go call your sister down for me?” he was dividing the stir fry into three portions for each of us.

“Yea,” I dropped my bag down onto the couch and made my way up the stairs. “Songhi,” I knocked on her door, “Come down for dinner.”

“I’ll be there in a second!” her small voice called.

The three of us ate dinner together, afterward Songhi and I decided to watch movies together in the living room.

“Hyeri is something wrong?” Songhi asked me in the middle of watching her favorite movie, Bolt.

I turned to her, “No, why do you ask?”

“Just,” she got up from laying down on the couch, “It’s Friday night and you’re here at home, watching Disney movies with me instead of hanging out with your friends.”

“It’s family time, I see nothing wrong with it.”

“No, not that’s not what I meant Hyeri,” she sighed, “Just, don’t you think it’s time for you to get a boyfriend?”

“What? No,” I thought about Mark and turned quiet.

No he doesn’t like you back and he’s in the past, he’s in the past, in the past.

Songhi sighed once more, “Is there a reason why? See what I’m trying to say is, don’t you think you’d be a bit happier with a boyfriend?”

“Where is this coming from Songhi? You’re eight, how could you possibly know what comes with being in a relationship?”

“Not much, but I just think you should be spending more time with friends your age. I mean don’t you think it’s a bit sad that you’re spending your Friday night at home watching movies meant for kids? Meanwhile I, your eight-year-old sister, canceled plans with her friends to spend time at home with you?”

“Do you want me to get a boyfriend is that it?” I asked.

“If it’s what makes you happy then yes.” she nodded her head. “I just want you to know that Dad and I are completely fine with you getting a boyfriend, we’ll even help.”

“Help?” I scoffed, “How?”

“One of my friends at school has an older brother around your age, or older, I don’t remember, but you could try talking to him.”

I shook my head, “It’s okay Songhi, I’ll date when I’m ready, and you can go out to hang out with your friends. I’ll be okay by myself at home. I can catch up on reading the Shadowhunters series.”

“You mean rereading it?”

I rolled my eyes, “Yes, it’s a good series.”

She sighed once more and planted herself back down on the couch, “Whatever you say.”