Year Five: Amortentia

Bittersweet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fear was brought upon three different wizarding schools, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and Durmstrang Institute. The three schools have been brought together for another Triwizard Tournament.

Gossips and conversations could be heard often about the Triwizard Tournament, especially after what happened a few years back. The tournament was discontinued up until now, due to injuries and deaths.

The three schools were gathered in the Hogwarts Great Hall, having to expand the tables for our visiting guests for the meantime. During this entire time they've been here, the table for Beauxbatons was right beside Hufflepuff's table, which is mine.

Due to the unexpected arrival of the two schools at Hogwarts, some students weren't pleased with the headmaster's decision to continue the Triwizard Tournament. The addition of having a few hundred more students inside Hogwarts, meant that all three schools had to share classes with each other for the time-being.

Most students got over it seeing that it's been more than two months since both schools have arrived at Hogwarts.

I sat in the Great Hall, silently looking over each table. Everyone was separated at different tables, Beauxbatons, Durmstrang, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin.

Speaking of Slytherin, I hadn't talked to Chaewon in quite a while. During summer vacation, I sent her the letter I promised, and I got her letter in return. She sent me another letter, but I hadn't sent one back, making me feel a bit guilty.

It's not that Chaewon had wronged me in any way. Chaewon's a great friend. Her presence makes me feel safe and needed. She's very reliable, trusting and is somewhat charming in her own way. Yes, there would be awkward moments between us, but I kinda like it. It's just that Chaewon's actions spoke louder than her words. I don't understand them, nor her intentions, but her actions do not match her words at all sometimes.

There would be times that she'd be teasing and making fun of me, then the next she's holding my hold or looking into my eyes deeply as if she's trying to calm me down or something. I don't understand her intention at all, but it seems like she's trying to calm the atmosphere around us.

I stared out by the Slytherin table, wondering more and more about Chaewon. I wondered why she suddenly acted this way towards me. I wondered what her intentions were.

"Shall we?" Chaeyeon asked, grabbing onto my wrists as my gaze went away from Chaewon. "What?" I confusingly ask her, only to be staring at the latter blankly. 

"You asked me if I could help you study earlier," Chaeyeon continued. "Yeah, I'm not the best at Potions..."

That statement wasn't completely true. I was good, or at least decent at Potions considering I get good grades. I aced all of my classes, only for Defense Against the Dark Arts to be passed with average grades.

I stood up from my seat, following Chaeyeon out of the Great Hall until someone came up running. "Chaeyeon! Minjoo! Where are you guys going?" I turned around towards the familiar voice to see a particular duck.

"I'm going to help Minjoo study Potions," Chaeyeon says as Yena nods her head vigorously. "Okay, I'm going with you!" Yena exclaims.

"Oh no. What have I gotten myself into?" Chaeyeon teased Yena, making the duck-looking girl pout her lips. "Yah! You should be grateful that I'm coming!" Yena says with a lot of exaggeration. "And why is that?"

"I'll tell you later!" Yena promised as Chaeyeon and I eyed her suspiciously. "Whatever you say..."

------------

"Ordinary. Wizarding. Level. Examinations. O.W.L.s. It's also commonly known as 'Owls'. Study hard and you will be rewarded. If you fail to do so, the consequences will be severe and quite tragic. The score made by the student on the O.W.L.s. examination will determine whether or not they will be allowed to continue taking that specific subject in your school years at Hogwarts, and whether they might be successful in obtaining a particular job." I sat in class listening to the professor explain the O.W.L.s. examination that's coming up in June. 

"Seeing that I've taught most of the fifth-year curriculum already, I'll be showing you a list of what you'll be learning next year. If you're lucky, I might teach you a few things in advance. Don't tell headmaster Im or any other professors." Mostly the entire class responded with okay or sure as I stayed silent. 

"These are the kind of things you'll be able to make after completing your N.E.W.T.s.," Professor Park says, scribbling some words onto the board. Potions were being listed onto the board, such as Elixir to Induce Euphoria, Wit-Sharpening Potion, Cure for Boils, Felix Felicis, Hiccoughing Solution, Draught of Living Death, Polyjuice, Garish Pink Blended Poison, Laughing Potion and etc. However, two that were listed caught my eyes. Love Potions and Amortentia.

"I don't know what idiot came up with the idea of having the season of love for the entire February, but since you're all curious teenagers, I'll educate you all. Love potions produce powerful infatuation and can be induced by the potion-maker. This causes the drinker to become infatuated or obsessed with the individual that gave them the potion. Love potions are considered to be very powerful and dangerous. Out of all the love potions, Amortentia is the most powerful love potion in the wizarding world. Despite this potion being very powerful, it does not produce actual love; having it to be impossible to manufacture or create love." Professor Park explained, having the entire class listen. The students in the classroom were mostly intrigued with what the professor had to say, seeing he had mentioned love potions during this lesson.

"It has a different aroma for everyone who smells it, reminding each person of the things that they have found most attractive, even if the person hasn't acknowledged or is even aware of their fondness and liking towards the object." He paused for a bit, glaring at some students and telling them to be quiet. 

So the potion had a different aroma for everyone. I wonder what the potion would smell like to me? What would the person I like find most attractive? Would it smell like them? Okay, I just sound weird now...

"It can have different effects, seeing that my past students have experienced it. It's possible that when the potion and effects have been cured, there's a chance of the drinker not remembering anything that had happened during that time span." Professor Park continued. What if something good happened? Wouldn't it be awkward for one of them? One being oblivious, not even knowing what they did? My mind was going off, spiraling around with different thoughts and 'what ifs'. I was losing so many brain cells during this lesson.

"However, may I remind you that love potions are banned items at Ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter