Year Four: No Need For Felix Felicis!

Bittersweet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Time!" Another Slytherin student called out, ending the timer on the stopwatch just as I caught the snitch. I quickly lower down a bit, hovering off the ground and getting off my broom.

I quickly walk over to the other Slytherin, panting and sweating. "Was it better?" I asked, breathlessly. The latter said nothing in return, just staring down at the stopwatch in her hand. "C'mon, at least tell me if it was faster than last time."

"Well..." The girl shook her head slightly, shrugging and pursing her lips. I groaned in frustration, hunching over, having my hands rest on my knees. "We've been here all day! I haven't gone anywhere..." I said with disappointment.

"It takes time to improve, but for now, your time was 4:15." She glanced over, waiting and expecting a response from me.

"4:15...?"

She nodded. "Yeah. Four minutes, fifteen seconds. It's not amazing, but it's clearly better than your last four tries..."

"Hyunjin, I only got five seconds faster. That's not really--" I was interrupted by Hyunjin slinging her arm around my shoulders. "I think we've wasted enough of our time, this was pretty much a damn failure. Here's the towel, now let's give up on this and go back to the common-- ow, what the heck?!" Before Hyunjin could finish her sentence, I shoved the towel into her stomach playfully.

"Kim Hyunjin, you've got to be kidding me," I scoffed while snatching the stopwatch out of her hands. "You're sure you didn't time me wrong? Did you mess up?" I asked in disbelief as Hyunjin shook her head.

"Dammit, I'm barely improving! We're going against Hufflepuff soon and their seeker is really good..." I felt discouragement take over.

I've watched Hufflepuff's seeker, and they were freaking good. Their house had to look for a new player since their previous one graduated Hogwarts. Hufflepuff's previous seeker was Kim Chanyeol, Minjoo's brother. I've got to hand it to him; he was a great seeker, but their new player is damn good. I don't know how we're supposed to win this next Quidditch match when their seeker is probably way better than me.

------------

"Good morning class." Professor Park settles the class down. "Today we'll be brewing a potion, but may I warn you, it will be extremely hard. Whoever can brew this potion perfectly, will receive a very small bottle of Felix Felicis." He smiles at the class, knowing that we'll most likely fail.

"Now, in case you're wondering. Felix Felicis, also known as 'Liquid Luck', is a potion that makes the drinker lucky for a period of time, during which everything they attempt will be successful. This will turn an ordinary day into an extraordinary one. However, it can cause giddiness, recklessness and dangerous overconfidence towards the drinker if they've taken too much. Felix Felicis is a strictly banned substance in any organised competitions, such as duelling or even tests like your O.W.L.s or N.E.W.T.s. Cheating is not allowed." He thoroughly explained, as the rest of the class nodded in response.

We all began our attempt to make the potion Professor Park wanted us to make. Whoever can make it, will win the desired prize. What if I used this during my Quidditch match later today if I win it? No, no, I can't. I shook my head vigorously mentally. He strictly said, "Felix Felicis is a strictly banned substance in any organised competitions," which does include Quidditch.

Throughout this entire period, no one was able to create the perfect potion that Professor Park was asking for. I stood by my desk, in front of my cauldron, thinking to myself.

"You okay Chaewon? We have to head to next class," Minjoo asks, making me snap out of whatever thoughts I had. "Yeah, I was just thinking about the Quidditch match later..." I mumbled, still being loud enough for the latter to hear.

"You'll do great, Chaewon! I'll be rooting for you during the match," she gently smiles at me. I felt my heart skip a beat.

"B-But what if we lose the game?" I felt discouragement from the possibilities for later today. What if we lost the game against Hufflepuff? What if something goes terribly wrong? What if-

"If you don't win, you may have not won the game, but you'll always be a winner in my heart."

I blinked at her in disbelief. Minjoo was really sweet and sincere. The feelings in my chest felt so intense... The butterflies were fluttering around my heart, and everything felt so fluffy and light. I wanted to hug her tightly, wrap her inside my arms, having my hands intertwined and engulfed with hers. It was at this moment; I knew that Kim Minjoo is the most important person in my life. She made everything so much better. 

Minjoo continued to support me, only to feel my heart fall even more.

Oh my gosh, I'm falling so hard.

"Even if I had Felix Felicis, I still wouldn't give it to you because you don't need luck to do well. You're good enough, you worked hard, just make sure to put enough effort. You don't need luck by your side to do well."

------------

The twelve of us were gathered in the Great Hall, seated side by side and across from one another. Valentines day passed, but some were still giving others chocolates and other gifts. Through the twelve of us, some were giving out candies to one another, however I decided to give Minjoo a box of chocolates and plushy just because...

No reason at all.

Time passed by and everyone was leaving the tables one by one, leaving Yena and I at the dining table.

Yena glanced over at Minjoo as she was walking away, "Wow, you're a really good friend to her!"

I couldn't help but chuckle from that comment. As much as I wanted to prevent and restrain that chuckle from coming out of my mouth, it just came unconsciously from the bitterness. "Yeah. A great friend."

Yena suddenly snapped out of it and stopped looking at the back of Minjoo in awe. She pulled back, turning her head to face me while raising an eyebrow. Uh oh. I'm a really bad liar now that I think about it.

"What's with that tone? Are you okay or something, because I don't think-- oh..." Yena noticed. She definitely noticed. I felt myself panic internally, wanting to drown in my seat. This was really going to be the death of me. 

I tried changing the topic and avoiding what had happened, but that went terribly. She saw right through my pathetic attempt for avoiding the situation. "Why do you sound so disappointed to be called a great friend?" Yena gushed over at me, wanting to find an answer to why I responded with that tone earlier. "But like... Aren't you friends with each other?" Of course I was Minjoo's friend, but... "Wait a second, are you just friends with her so you can get revenge on her? I mean, you were totally mean to her during your first and second year

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter