Year Four: Night Changes

Bittersweet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I sat quietly in the train's compartment with Sakura, Hyewon and Chaeyeon. They were all talking with each other, while I was in the corner nibbling on my snacks silently.

"Chaewon?" I looked up to whoever called my name, "yeah?"

"You alright? You've been quiet this entire time," Sakura says. I looked at her blankly for a few seconds and then nodded. The latter looked at me curiously, not understanding what's happening in my little head.

"Yena! Why'd you stop?!"

Chaotic shouts and the noise of crashing were heard outside the compartment door. We all looked at each other questioningly, wondering what the hell was happening outside. Hyewon stands up and opens the compartment door to reveal Yena and Yuri on the floor, crashing into each other.

Yuri sends a sharp glare towards Yena's way, "Yena unnie, why'd you stop?! Now we crashed into each other!" Yuri exclaims,  putting her hands in the air, looking as if she's about to punch the living soul out of Yena.

"Sorry! Sorry! I stopped because we're here," Yena is quick to apologize, looking up to where Hyewon is. "Hey! I'm Yena!" She ignores the angry girl and introduces herself to Hyewon suddenly. "Oh, uh... Hi?" Hyewon closes the door in their faces, sitting back down beside me.

I heard shuffling from outside the door as Yuri stood up. "Help! I've fallen, and I can't get up!" I hear Yena shout jokingly from outside. The next moment, we heard a yelp of pain. "Ow! That hurt, why'd you kick me?!" Yena grumbled.

"Just get up, you stupid duck."

Yena stands up and opens the compartment door once again, "Hey guys!" Yena sits down in between Chaeyeon and Sakura, leaving Yuri still standing by the door. "Why are you sitting here?! Sit somewhere else," Chaeyeon complains, pushing Yena out of her seat. "Jeez, what's your problem?" Yena then takes a seat beside me awkwardly, looking over at Yuri, mentally telling her to take a seat as well.

"Well, I came looking for you Chaeyeon!"

"Why?"

"Yujin and Minjoo were wondering where you were, so I went looking for you!" Yena smiles brightly at her. Why is this girl always happy? ALWAYS.

I don't know why, but when Yena mentioned Minjoo's name, I was suddenly interested in listening to this conversation. "I saw that Chaewon," Yuri chuckles. I shook my head immediately, mentally trying to tell her that it's not like that. "Sure, whatever you say."

------------

The weekend comes around the corner, Hyewon, Sakura, and I was planning to go visit Hogsmeade. We were about to walk off until we spotted Minjoo and their friend group talking outside. Chaeyeon comes walking towards us, seeming very excited. "Hey, are you guys planning on going to Hogsmeade?" She asks.

"We were planning on going there right now!" Sakura replies, grabbing onto Chaeyeon's hand, intertwining them together. 

"Alright then! Want to come with us?" Chaeyeon offers as Sakura replies yes, Hyewon shrugging her shoulders, making them all look at me. They all waited for a response, until I finally broke the silence, "Uh, sure."

Walking to Hogsmeade, I was beside Minjoo the entire time. I don't know why, but lately, every time I see or hear about her, a memory from last year begins to play in my head.

"Ah, yes... I-I just, um... I'm not very good at saying this," I began, looking everywhere but the latter. "I just wanted to say... sorry," I continued, my hands were shaking from nervousness. I suddenly felt warmth grasp onto my wrist. I blush lightly from her touch alone. I paused and hesitated to answer at first.

"For treating you like that in our first and second year of Hogwarts... I just wanted to ask if you'd like to be... uh, um... f-friends?" I finished.

I finally lift my head up, looking straight into her eyes for the first time during this entire conversation. "Yes, I'd like that." Minjoo smiles, making me explode with happiness. I returned the smile back, only to have my smile widen, making my cheeks hurt.

Now that I think about it, I don't know why... This memory makes me feel a little bitter. It's a mix of happiness, yet it's bitter. The thought of being just friends is saddening and it bothers me for some reason, but I don't know why.

Did I want to remain frenemies with her? No, that can't be it. I'm so confused right now, why does the thought of being friends make me sad and happy at the same time?

All of my thoughts were interrupted when Minjoo suddenly clings onto my arm. I don't understand anything, but I can feel butterflies in my stomach, the thumping of my heart increasing in speed.

I look around to see that we've finally arrived at Hogsmeade. I took a glance over at Minjoo, her eyes were sparkling in excitement, I smiled unconsciously from the sight of her being happy.

The group looks around the little village that we've arrived at, seeing cottages and shops surrounding us.

All of us stuck together, looking around in amazement. But somewhere along the way, we all separated into pairs or little groups.

I don't know how this happened, but I was separated from everyone to be left all alone with Minjoo.

We walked around together for a bit, seeing Yena and Yuri enter Honeydukes, Chaeyeon, and Sakura in The Three Broomsticks, Wonyoung and Yujin inside Zonko's Joke Shop, while Nako, Hitomi, Eunbi and Hyewon were still nowhere to be seen.

Minjoo and I decided to explore more, to try and find the other's whereabouts. We kept walking until Minjoo stopped us, pointing off into the distance.

"Oh! I see them!"

I looked around to see no one around, except for strangers.

"I saw Eunbi and Hyewon waving at Hitomi and Nako while entering tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter