Year One: Magic Exists?

Bittersweet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sounds of an owl hooting and flapping their wings through the wind was heard outside my window. I stood up from my bed and walked over to my window, moving to the curtain to see outside.

An owl was found outside my window, the owl seemed to be holding something in its claws. A letter that was sealed with a red stamp, along with my name and address. I felt quite scared to be close to the owl. Actually, no, I felt terrified.

I opened my window and took the letter out of the owl's claws hesitantly and the owl flew away. I closed the window back up, and the sound of movement of a tree branch was heard. I sighed in relief that nothing bad had happened.

I rushed downstairs to the kitchen with my white printed bunny pajamas, messy hair and bare feet.

"Mom! Dad! I got a letter from an owl!"

My parents sat at the kitchen table, they stopped what they were doing and took a quick glance at each other. I held up the letter that I got just a few minutes ago, whilst my parents just widened their eyes. 

Both my mom and Dad gasped and told me to sit down on the empty chair at the kitchen table. "Minjoo honey, open it. Let's see what it says."

I peeled off the red stamp and opened the letter and unfolded it. "Can you read it out loud for us dear?" My mother softly said as I nodded.

"Dear Kim Minjoo, you have been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry... Mom, Dad, what is this?" I looked at my parents looking for answers to my question.

"Minjoo, you're a witch." My father sighed, waiting for a response from me. "A w-witch? But w-witches d-don't exist..."

"Don't exist, eh? Look at your mother and I, I'm a wizard!" My father said chuckling. "Y-You're a witch and you're a wizard... We're not normal?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows at them.

"Ah, don't say that. Not exactly, let's just say that we're more special." My mom said, smiling. I was about to say something, until my father had begun speaking. "You're a pure-blood, which means that your family has all had magical abilities, not one has lacked magical powers. We thought we'd give it a shot to live in the normal world, maybe thinking that you could live a life being a normal person, pretending that we're ordinary."

"Oh, why would you want to go away from all of this?" I asked them, whilst processing this information rather quickly for an eleven year old.

"This was stopped a long time ago, but he who shall not be named had put the wizarding world into grave danger. He was a student at Hogwarts, but he was a bad wizard. He eventually ended up dying and was killed by a wizard named Harry Potter." My parents explained.

"Seeing that you've got this amazing opportunity, we have to fly over to London."

"Really!? We're going to London, but why" I felt excited, but I felt questionable about why we would need to be going to London all of a sudden.

"Yes, we're going to London because Hogwarts is located in the United Kingdom. Anyways, start getting packed."

"Now?"

"Yes now!" I hurried upstairs again and began packing up my clothes.

-------------

I had arrived in London with my parents, and my dad was holding a piece of paper to remember the location of a place, along with the shops we need to visit.

"It's been a very long time since I've been here... So, Leaky Cauldron... Leaky Cauldron..." My dad mumbled as I felt my mom shuffling over and about.

"Honey, here! Leaky Cauldron is right here." My mom pointed to the left of us.

We walked inside and walked over towards the counter of the restaurant.

"Ah, excuse me sir, but can you help us find our way towards Diagon Alley?" My father asked as the person at the counter eyed him suspiciously.

"Who are you to know?

"You seriously don't remember me? Wow, what a good friend you are." My father rolled his eyes playfully and smacked the shoulder of the guy.

"W-What... Oh my gosh. How long has it been Man!? Fourteen years since we last saw each other?" The guy rambled on about how long he hasn't seen him, to the point that they both didn't realize that they're doing some weird handshake with each other.

"I heard your son is doing very well at Hogwarts." The man said and smiled. "He is? That's great to hear." My father answered, glancing over at my mother. "He's a fourth year, he's an amazing wizard from what I heard."

"Really? Is that so..." My father's smile faded once the man in front of him kept rambling on about his son.

"Alright so can we know the way towards Diagon Alley?" He suddenly remarked, making him remember. "Ah, sorry. You were asking for directions. Yes, follow me."

We followed him as he walked over to the back door of the restaurant, we stood in front of a brick wall, waiting for something to happen.

He tapped the brick wall, and the bricks began to move. "So, may I ask why you're visiting?" He asked before bidding goodbye. "My daughter has just been accepted at Hogwarts."

"You have another kid? If everyone in your bloodline was this amazing, I bet she is too!" He chuckled, while waving goodbye.

We walked inside and the brick wall closed as we walked farther away. "Welcome to Diagon Alley, Minjoo!" The place was filled with crowds of people.

My dad took the list of shops out again and told us that we needed to go to Gringotts. I have no idea what any of these things are, every kid seemed like they knew everything, unlike me.

"So, dad, who was that back there? And why was he saying that you had a son?" I queried as he stumbled for a second.

"A-Ah, uh... That was an old friend of mine, we went to Hogwarts together and were best friends with each other. M-Minjoo! We're finally at Gringotts, let's go get you some money, shall we?" My dad hurried over towards one of the creatures at the desks and asked them to open a vault, whilst ignoring my question.

We went over to the vault that my dad had asked for, it was filled with a lot of coins and money. "W-Where'd you get all of this money from?" I questioned as he just shook his head.

"This money was the inheritance of mine and your mother's parents combined." The vault was filled with coins; some piles had met the roof of the vault. This was enough to buy two castles!

We gathered some money for us to spend on materials for my year here, and we hurried our way towards a shop called Ollivanders.

"Dad, earlier I was asking about the man saying that you had a son. And don't you bother dodging that question."

"Alright, Minjoo, you have a brother. We tried hiding the fact that he was a wizard, until he had gotten his letter from Hogwarts. He wasn't really fond and pleased with our decision. He decided to leave for the school and told us to erase any memory of him from you, which we deeply regret. He really didn't want anything to do with our family, or at least your mother and I. He did love you a lot Minjoo, just as brother should." He sighed while walking inside Ollivanders.

'I have a brother?' I began thinking about how life could've been if he didn't erase my memories, or if he hadn't gotten the letter from Hogwarts.

I looked around the shop to see many shelves with small boxes inside, beyond the shelves was a man looking over them, checking and mumbling words to himself. He looked behind and had finally noticed me and my parents standing here.

"Ah, looks like there's another Kim in the school!" He beamed with a wide smile on his face. "Can we get a wand for our daughter, please?"

The man at the counter nodded and began looking and shuffling through shelves. He had taken out a variety of wands, but none seemed to be the right one.

"Take this wand, let's see... 10 inches, unicorn hair, flexible..." He kept rambling on about the qualities of the wand. I had waved it in the air, yet I had just exploded a bo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter