Gently Closing

My Only PANACEA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the next week, Yeri avoided Jungkook whenever he tried to contact her. It wasn’t really her intention, but she just couldn’t bring herself to see him or even talk to him. It’s not like anything happened between them, but everyday since he slept over, Suhyun and Saeron for having a man over. It was awkward for her just to think about possibly running into him at work, so she purposely entered the company building from the opposite entrance and even hid under her desk whenever he did his daily rounds to check on Namjoon’s office.

Eventually, on the Monday that followed, she had grown tired of her friends’ teasing and finally stood up to them. She was sitting at her vanity early in the morning to get ready for the day when Suhyun excitedly pranced into her room to enact her daily teasing.

“Yerim-ah, are you going to see your boyfriend Jungkook today?”

She groaned and turned to face her, “fine, I’ll set you two up on a blind date, okay?!”

“W-wah, are you mad,” Suhyun was shocked, “I was just joking…”

“Well, I’m not joking… do you want to or not?!”

Suhyun chuckled and then answered, “okay, I’ll do it… set it up.”

“What? I mean,” she paused and then stood up, “today… for lunch, at the Café Bene near my office… right at noon!”

“O-oh okay, will you-.”

Before allowing Suhyun to finish speaking, she grabbed her purse and stomped out of her room. As she rode the bus to work, all she could think about was how she regretted saying all she said just now. Not only was it rude for her to set him up on a blind date without consulting him, she hadn’t spoken to him for an entire week now.

“Yerim-ah,” she cursed silently to herself, “why’d you say that?! You idiot of a girl.”

She pulled out her phone and messaged him.

Jungkook-ah, let’s have lunch today… at the Café Bene near the office. I’ll see you there at noon, okay?

“There you go,” she sighed and stuffed her phone back into her purse, “good job, Yerim-ah.”

She was cautious entering the building as she always was, but then she decided that the days of being scared needed to end. She needed to talk to him sooner or later, which she quickly conceded that later was probably safer for her with the sudden blind date plans.

Hours went by as she became engulfed in organizing Namjoon’s schedule for when he returned that week. When she heard her phone vibrate and noticed the time, it was too late. It was already 11:45am when she read Jungkook’s text saying that he had already arrived and got them a table.

“,” she cursed under her breath, “I forgot all about this…”

She messaged him back an apology and told him the truth as she shivered in fear of what was to come. When he received the message that he’d been set up for a blind date with Suhyun, he was at a loss for words and felt somewhat betrayed.

He cursed silently, “this girl…”

“Hello,” Suhyun announced to him, “you’re Jeon Jungkook, right?”

“Ah,” he remembered his manners, “yes… you must be.”

“Lee Suhyun,” she sat down, “I’m Kim Yerim’s friend… we met once before.”

“Oh, yes, I remember.”

“Did you wait long?”

“No, I just got here not too long ago,” he fidgeted with his phone.

“That’s good, I wasn’t too sure if you were really going to show up.”

He didn’t respond, but simply scratched the back of his head.

“Oh,” she grabbed the cup in front of her, “did you get this for me?”

She took a sip of the cappuccino and winced at the sweetness.

“I prefer americano, but this is very nice of you,” she smiled and then noticed his expression, which was distracted and a bit irritated, “Yeri does love cappuccinos though.”

“Hm,” he turned to her, “oh… she does?”

She chuckled and leaned on her elbow, “but I think you already know that…”

“It’s not like that… I just tried to guess what you’d like.”

“That’s funny because aren’t americanos the most commonly ordered drink?”

“Oh, is it?”

She gave him a knowing smirk and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

He smiled awkwardly, “to be honest, I didn’t know about the meeting until five minutes ago…”

“Kim Yerim,” she sighed, “it’s okay… both of us are victims here.”

They sat there for a minute without talking until she spoke up again, “you like Yerim-ie, don’t you?”

“What,” he laughed, “it’s not like that… we’re just colleagues.”

“Yah,” she chuckled, “it would’ve been more convincing if you said friend.”

“No, really… we are just colleagues.”

“So, how do you explain sleeping over last week?”

“Well… she asked me to.”

“She did?”

“Yeah…”

She fell back in her chair and laughed, “that is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard!”

“Why?”

“Let me tell you something about my Yerim-ie,” she leaned on her elbows and clasped her hands together, “she’s very social, but all her friends are women… not because she couldn’t have male friends, but because she’s horrible with men, okay?”

“Horrible with men?”

She chuckled, “Yerim-ie’s too shy for her own good and would never approach a man. Also, if she did ever have a male friend, they always liked her too much and simply ruined the relationship, you understand?”

“But she approached me first…”

“You must have done something amazing then,” she leaned back again, “because only then would my friend ever approach a man herself, and she only respects those who deserve it. If something changes with a friend, she usually ends it immediately.”

He listened intently.

That’s probably why she’s been avoiding me…

“It’s either you saved her life, or she simply doesn’t see you as a man,” she sighed and sipped her drink, “either way, if you don’t like her, then hold onto her… and if you do like her, then you better let her go because you’ll ruin your friendship with her for sure.”

He looked at her with a confused expression and felt even more mixed feelings about Yeri, but after a long conversation that was all about her, he returned to the office and went up to her desk to catch, scold and forgive her. Just before he turned around the corner to catch her off guard, Joohyun stopped him.

“Oh, Jungkook-ah,” Joohyun held up a hand in front of him, “why are you up here?”

She gasped, stood up and leaned over her desk to peek down the hall, “J-Jungkook?”

“Oh Secretary Bae... I mean, Manager Bae,” he responded to her, “I’m just here to check on something for when the CEO returns.”

“Really,” she stepped aside and walked with him, “what are you checking?”

“Just something I have to ask Secretary Kim about his flight itinerary.”

“Oh, are you leading the receiving team?”

“Yeah…”

“Hurry and go then, Secretary Kim should be at her desk if she didn’t take a lunch.”

“Oh no,” Yeri squealed and shuffled around, “why’s he here?!”

She fell down and crouched under her desk, feeling ashamed and embarrassed for even hiding. Her hand went up to her chest to calm her breathing as she heard his footsteps approach her desk.

“Secretary Kim,” he asked once and then looked around, “Yeri-ah?”

She held her breath and closed her eyes.

“I thought she was here,” he turned around, “maybe she went to lunch…”

She heard him walk away and let out a sigh of relief, “that was close…”

She slowly crawled out from under her desk but froze suddenly when she turned and saw him squatting next to her with confusion written on his face. He was dressed the way he usually did, with a simple black and white suit that fit his body perfectly but was also loose and flexible enough for him to move around. Unlike other security guys though, he always had no tie and his top button was always loosened as that was how he liked it.

“What are you doing,” he asked non

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter