An Open Door

My Only PANACEA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook walked back to Yeri with a warm coffee in his hand, “here, drink this.”

She had already put her sweater back on as it got colder in the night, and was leaning on a railing down the street from the arcade, at a spot where they’d still be able to see who leaves the club if they kept their eye on the entrance the entire time.

“Oh,” she nervously accepted the drink, “thank you.”

He leaned on the railing next to her, “they just closed fifteen minutes ago, so the staff should be leaving soon.”

“Yeah, I saw five leave so far,” Yeri took a sip of her coffee and sighed, “if the information I received was correct, they should have six staff working tonight, aside from the manager.”

“So, we just need this last guy.”

“Yep.”

“Do you know what he looks like?”

“Yeah, our CEO was able to provide me with a photo.”

“Can I see it?”

“Sure,” she pulled out her phone and showed him the photo, “I haven’t seen him yet, so he must be the last person to leave tonight.”

“I hope so,” he paused, “did you see the manager leave?”

“No, not yet.”

“We’ll have to be careful of him too, since he knows what you look like.”

“Yeah, that would be troublesome.”

It got quiet in the street as vendors started to close down. Finally, a man stepped out of the club with a backpack and hoodie on.

“That must be him,” Jungkook stood up and tossed his cup in the trash next to them, “come on.”

“Oh,” she quickly tossed her cup away and followed him down the street, “should we just go up to him?”

“Hold on,” he slowed down and stopped her behind him, “we should make sure he’s alone first.”

They continued to follow the man until he got out into a quieter street and then walked faster up to him.

“Ok Taeyong,” Jungkook asked out loud as they got close enough to him.

He turned around, “yes?”

“We’re from Worldwide Times,” Yeri said to him, stepping out from behind Jungkook, “we have a couple of questions for you.”

The man looked back and forth, then turned back to them, “come over here.”

He walked over to a secluded parking lot.

“Are you being followed?”

“By someone other than you two, probably not,” he crossed his arms in front of his chest and carefully assumed, “you must be here to ask about the club and its affiliates?”

“That’s right… you sent a tip to our CEO not too long ago about some possible illegal things in the club you’re working for, is that right?”

“Yeah,” the man cautiously glanced at Jungkook.

“Is there a reason why you’re suspecting that there may be illegal things going on?”

“Well, for one, I have a high school friend who’s a trainee at G-BUS right now, and they’re constantly at the club, every weekend… I’ve asked her why she’s always there and she won’t tell me anything, only saying that it was for work.”

“That is a bit weird… you mind telling me her name, so that I can ask her some questions too?”

“Uh, she’s actually very gentle, so I don’t want her involved in the investigation.”

“That’s fine, I understand, but I can’t guarantee that she won’t be involved once the police gets wind of this… is there anything else that stands out to you?”

“Well, I don’t want to assume that there is any relation, but there are two other big names here very often that I think may be involved; the director from G-BUS, who you must have seen tonight, and then the biggest name is the heir to the CNS furniture company.”

“Really,” Yeri gasped and turned to Jungkook.

“What?”

“This is going to be a really big story… he’s a chaebol, heir to one of the biggest companies in South Korea, with branches in Europe and Australia…”

“Really? But why would the heir to such a big company want to embezzle money? Isn’t he rich?”

“I’m not sure,” she thought for a second, “let’s keep listening, first.”

They went back to the man, “continue.”

“Uh, I also know that he’s been meeting with the manager at our club regularly, so I think he may be embezzling money to share with the manager who would then provide him with trainees, you know?”

“Trainees? As in for ? Like ion?”

“Yes, haven’t you heard anything about this guy? He’s the playboy heir who was forced to start as an employee at one of their stores. His grandfather won’t give him any money or shares unless he successfully becomes a general manager.”

“Oh my gosh, it’s like a drama,” she whispered to Jungkook with her eyes wide open and then turned back to the guy, “oh, so he’s currently broke and being humiliated as an entry-level employee?”

“Yes, that’s at least what I know right now.”

“That’s perfect,” she bowed to him, “thank you for the information.”

“No problem… anything to help. Please keep my identity confidential once you publish the story… I don’t want to be seen as a whistleblower.”

“Don’t worry about a thing, I’ll make sure it comes out right.”

“Thank you.”

After they split, Jungkook and Yeri stopped at a convenience store for dinner. Yeri sat at the countertop next to the window of the store to go over her notes while Jungkook waited for their noodles.

“Here,” he came back and set the cup noodles in front of her.

“Yah, there’s something that doesn’t connect.”

“What?”

“Well, we have a third-generation chaebol who is embezzling money from his own family company for him and his friends just so that he can have with a few trainees… wouldn’t this guy be like a sociopath or something?”

“There are some really bad people out there, you know. It’s not impossible.”

“I guess so,” she sighed, “I just really think this is like the story to some weekend drama series… like a chaebol… embezzling money… and there’s ion? I looked him up just now and he’s actually very good-looking, you know?”

“Maybe you need to look deeper into the story… like if he’s so good-looking, why is he embezzling? What does he get out of it? Is it for fun? Or is it really for ?”

She grabbed her pen and started spinning it around in her hand, “CNS is known for having a strong and loyal bond with their family members, though… everyone in their family either has a Ph.D. or years of training in their own stores. His father personally handled multiple stores for years before becoming the current CFO.”

“Stop thinking for a second and eat your noodles,” he grabbed her pen.

“Alright,” she separated her chopsticks and took a bite of her noodles, “ow!”

“Yah, don’t you know how to blow before you eat,” he grabbed her a napkin and bottle of water, “be more careful.”

“Oh, thanks,” she picked her chopsticks back up, “it just doesn’t add up… I think we’re going to have to pay this trainee a visit no matter what…”

“Okay, but we don’t even know what her name is… Ok Taeyong wouldn’t tell us, remember?”

“Yeah,” she picked up her phone and started texting someone.

“Who are you contacting?”

“I have a friend who works at a salon right next to G-BUS… she does all of the artist’s hair and makeup.”

“That’s a good start… she should know basically everyone who trains and works there, right?”

“I hope so,” she set her phone down and ate her noodles, “too bad we won’t know until she responds.”

“What did you ask her?”

“If we could get a make-over for you…”

He dropped his chopsticks, “a make-over? Who? Me?”

“Yeah.”

“Why do we have to do that?”

“Are you dumb? These days, even hairdressers and makeup artists have to keep their clients confidential, don’t you know?”

He scoffed, “well, why didn’t you just say it was for you?”

“I already look amazing… but you could use some cleaning up?”

“What’s wrong with my look?”

She thought with an exaggerated look on her face, “mm, too tense… too clean… you look like you’re about to go in for your first interview.”

“What’s wrong with that? I’m a security guy.”

“Some security guys these days look amazing… you look boring.”

“Yah.”

“Alright, alright… I just needed a reason,” she chuckled, “you look amazing.”

He scowled at her for telling the most obvious lie, “whatever.”

“I’m serious,” she laughed.

“Oh, by the way,” he finished the last of his noodles with two bites, “buses stopped running… how are you getting home?”

“You’ll take,” she said confidently, garner

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter