005

Cross My Heart

 

“Were you calling for me, Yinghua jie?”

Kris grew amused, the very person they were trying to remember was holding onto Diana while asking her that.

Diana pulled herself together and spun around, her eyes widened fractionally.

“You’re…” She saw the older male behind him and she broke into a smile.

“Lin Lin.” She said, the male before nodded back before giving the girl a warm hug.

“It’s been years, jie.” Guanlin said as Diana pulled back to look at him again, the girl chuckled.

“How did this happen? Lai Guanlin is a foot taller than me now? I mean, how?” She was smiling, Kris chuckled before meeting their old friend.

“Gege, how have you been?” He said before shaking his hand.

“I’ve been well, Guanlin. This is my wife and son.” Kris introduced the two and Diana went on to greet Guanlin’s father.

“I wanted to ask for his name the other day, uncle. But I was afraid you’d be disappointed I forgot.” She said playfully, the elder laughed and patted her hand.

“It’s good then that Guanlin remembers you.” He joked back, Guanlin turned to her and smiled.

“Let’s go inside then, I already have a room reserved.” Kris spoke, Haerin and Aiden followed him inside along with the elder Lai.

“And here I thought you would be stuck in China all your life.” Diana spoke as she hooked arms with him, Guanlin grinned, the girl used to do the same when they were young.

“You left me for Hong Kong, jie. You’re one to talk.” He said mildly, Diana laughed.

“I did miss you, Lin Lin. I’ve always wanted to reconnect.”

“Sure.” He said dryly, Diana nudged his shoulder.

“I mean it. But, life got me busy. I’m sure it’s the same thing for you.”

“No. I never forgot about you, jie. You’re my fiancé. Remember?” He said jokingly, Diana paused and then she started to laugh.

“Oh my god, please don’t remind me of that day. Please!”

 

 

“The Gongs? Moli jie?” Lucas spoke through his Bluetooth earpiece as he walked inside his closet again, he scratched the back of his head.

“Yes, her. And do you remember her sister? You two used to be so close.”

“Shasui.” He murmured as he looked at his coats and ties, he puffed his cheeks.

He really does need Diana in his life.

“Yes, well, their father called me earlier and asked about you. I told you would be in Beijing for the weekend. And I said that you should meet up.”

“Pa, I’m going with Diana.” Lucas murmured as he checked on his pants, casual wear was easy. But he head no idea what else to wear, they were meeting the Wu elders too.

“I know, but it’s just some business proposal they want to show. You don’t have to really delve into it, it’s just that the Gongs are old friends, I don’t want to seem disrespectful.”

“Okay, I’ll probably meet them at Xiaojun’s party.”

“Great. You two have fun, send our regards to Diana.”

Lucas removed the earpiece and grabbed a bunch of his sweaters and a hoodie. He chucked them all in his luggage and then his phone buzzed.

“Diana,” He answered.

“Wong, will you be sleeping early? Something came up at the dinner.” She said, Lucas paused.

“Are you okay?”

“Everything’s fine. I finally remembered my friend’s name. And he hasn’t been to Korea for a while now, so I volunteered to show him a bit of Seoul’s night life. I might get there late.” She murmured, Lucas smiled.

“I actually am halfway done with packing. It’s okay, you should head straight home after. Or, I can drive you.” He offered, Diana snorted.

“I drove myself, I’ll see you tomorrow. Please pack the suit I got you.”

“Oh, that.” Lucas blurted out as he looked around his room.

“I’ll call you tomorrow. Good night.”

 

 

“So five year old Diana already got game.” Haerin said teasingly as they stepped out of the restaurant, Guanlin chuckled.

“I was five. I had no concept of what~”

“Five year old Diana jie also loved to argue with others.” Guanlin added, Kris nodded and high-fived him, the elder Lai had headed home earlier, leaving his son with the Wus.

“Anyway, I’ll show Lin Lin around tonight, ge.” Diana spoke as they got inside the elevator.

“Then, this…gege was auntie’s playmate?” Aiden spoke, Guanlin smiled and turned to him.

“Yes, your aunt and I used to run around the office back then. We got into a lot of trouble too.”

“Really? How so?” Aiden asked, Guanlin chuckled and lifted the boy into his arms.

“Your auntie loved kicking the vending machines hopping that the snacks would come out by themselves.”

“Lai Guanlin!” Diana hissed and her nephew started to laugh. The doors opened again and the group arrived at the lobby.

“Ah, I see you get yelled at by her too, Guanlin ge.” Aiden nodded solemnly, Diana rolled her eyes and hooked arms with Haerin.

“It’s refreshing seeing you cornered like this, Diana.”

“Maybe him reappearing isn’t good for me.” She mumbled, Guanlin put Aiden down and faced the ladies.

“We’ll go ahead. You two have fun, and Diana please don’t get Guanlin in trouble, okay?” Kris blew her a kiss, he hopped away from her before his sister could react.

“Good night, auntie and Guanlin gege.” Aiden bowed politely.

“Why is he gege and you call me auntie? He should be uncle too!”

“He’s younger than you.” Aiden blinked at her.

“Then, you should call him uncle~”

“I don’t want to, auntie.” Aiden stuck her tongue out at him and like his father, he ran away. Haerin was smiling before bidding goodbye and she followed her two boys.

“I never expected Kris ge to be a dad. I didn’t know he had it in him.” Guanlin mused as they walked together, Diana grinned.

“So, where do you want to go, Lin Lin? We can grab coffee and I’ll walk you around the busy streets of Myeongdong.” She hummed as she hooked arms with him, the male smiled.

“I’ll leave all the planning to you, jie. But it’s sad that you have fly out tomorrow.” He said as Diana’s car came around the hotel’s curb.

“I’ll be back next week, then I’ll be your tour guide.”

“Does that I mean I can drop by even if you’re busy?” Guanlin mused as he opened the door, Diana nodded at him.

“Of course, you’ll probably get sick of me by next week.”

 

 

“Hi,” Diana said as she walked in the lounge, Lucas put his phone away and stood up.

“How was the dinner last night? Finally reconnected with your friend?” He asked as he leaned down to give her a one-armed hug, the girl nodded before letting go.

“It was fun, he used to be playmate before. Now, he’s grown so much and he gets along well with Aiden.”

“Do you want something to eat?” Lucas spoke, Diana looked at his platter of food and her nose scrunched, the male grew amused.

“They serve other things too, or would you rather have something in the plane?”

“I’ll just ask for coffee later.” She said as she plopped down beside him, Lucas’s brows rose as he noticed that the girl was dressed in just leggings and an oversized hoodie.

“You must have had a late night.” He commented as he opened one arm to her, Diana pursed her lips and looked around them.

“I got home a little late, but it was fine.” She murmured as she let Lucas pull her to his chest.

“Xiaojun called earlier, he offered to pick us up. But I already made arrangements.”

Diana nodded and let out a yawn.

“Told you I could pick you up last night. Did you drink?” He asked as he ran his fingers through her hair, Diana shook her head.

“No, I only showed Lin Lin around.” She mumbled as she pushed his phone away and inched closer to his chest, Lucas chuckled and tucked his phone in his pocket.

“How about a latte for Diana? With lots of milk.”

“How about I leave you for another man?” She shot back, Lucas smiled and kissed the top of her head.

“Admit it, Di. You needed this. A short break.”

“I think the board needed this more, a short break from me.” She mumbled as she looked at her nails.

“If things get hard, come to me. You know you can tell me anything.” Lucas said softly, Diana nodded back without looking at him.

“The board doesn’t really trust me because of that stunt I pulled a few years ago. But I only did that to save the company from my father’s….woman.” She mumbled, Diana sat up as an airline staff approached them, the male informed them that it was already time for boarding.

“What does your brother think?” Lucas asked as they stood up, the girl picked up her bag and looked at him.

“As crazy as it sounds, he left me in charge this time. That’s why I don’t know what to do.” She pointed out as they walked out of the lounge, Lucas smiled, he could hear it in her tone. Diana was unsure and it took a lot from her to admit that.

“Then do what your gut tells you.”

“Hmm, very helpful. Thanks, Wong.” She said dryly, Lucas laughed and took her hand in his. Diana felt her phone buzz and she quickly took it out.

Have a safe flight, jie. -Lin Lin

“Kris ge left you in charge, that means he trusts you and your skills. So,” Lucas paused and made the girl face him.

“Don’t let them get to you, you’re good at what you do.”

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++