006

Cross My Heart

 

Diana stared at the hotel’s façade as staff started to unload their luggage from the car, Waldorf Astoria Beijing’s architectural design has always impressed the young Wu.

She pursed her lips as the winter breeze touched her cheeks, she turned and saw Lucas on the phone.

“Young miss, this way.” The staff spoke to her, she nodded and followed their bags, she felt someone take her hand.

“Of all hotels, it had to be the one with most eyes and ears in the city.” Diana murmured as they crossed the lobby, Lucas smiled.

“You haven’t been back for years, that’s why people are curious.”

“Really?” Diana said dryly, she could feel the other guests at the lobby looking at them, well technically, they weren’t guests.

Most people their age would have dinners or throw parties during weekends at swanky hotels. And now, they were here, witnessing Diana Wu check in at a hotel with Wong Yukhei.

“The fact that we’re checking in together is gossip worthy.”

“It’s a suite, Di. We have three rooms. One’s a spare in case someone gets too drunk to drive home, i.e., Yang Yang.” Lucas said as the hotel’s manager rushed to them with a greeting.

“The presidential suite has been prepared according to your requests, young master.”

“Thank you for accepting us on such short notice. Diana, this is manager Li.” Lucas nudged the girl, Diana glanced at him before giving the male a polite smile.

“Nice to meet you.” She greeted, she glanced over her shoulder and recognized some familiar faces. She saw one of their old classmates try to walk towards them, Diana tucked herself in Lucas’s arm and looked away.

“Did Xiaojun turn his birthday into a mini reunion?” Diana murmured as they got inside the elevator, Lucas grew amused, the girl wasn’t one for reunions.

“I’m assuming you don’t like seeing our high school friends?” Lucas spoke in Korean, Diana snorted at him.

“Who wants to see them?”

“I’m an old high school friend. And yet you still keep on seeing me.” Lucas said jokingly, the doors pinged open and they exited the machine.

“I only see the people I want to see.” She shot back, Lucas chuckled and they were led into their suite.

“You take the room with the view, Wong. I can’t stand tall windows.”

“I know, I’ll order dinner. You can go wash up.” Lucas poked her cheek and gestured for her to go inside one of the rooms, he watched as the staff unloaded their bags from the cart and thanked them.

He was about to open his luggage when his phone buzzed.

I heard you’re in Beijing? Will I be seeing you at the HuangXi party? -Moli

Lucas tilted his head before typing in a reply.

Yes, jie. I’ll see you there.

 

 

“How did it go with Yinghua? Did she take you sightseeing?”

Guanlin looked up from his plate, he was having lunch with his father.

“For a bit, yes. She had to fly for Beijing.”

“I know, I heard. She has to attend to some party there. Did you here Kris mention about the boy with Diana?”

Guanlin shook his head and picked up his juice.

“It’s the Wong son. Wongshen Group.” His father added, the young Lai nodded, not really knowing what to say.

“From what I’ve heard, they’ve been together for quite some time. Don’t you remember that big news back years ago?”

“What is it, pa? You don’t like Diana jie’s boyfriend?” Guanlin chuckled, his father eyed him warily.

“The car accident. He was drunk driving, he almost got her killed. I don’t understand why the Wus permit Diana to be around him still.”

Guanlin paused, he put his fork down.

“That was him? I remember trying to visit her when I was in Hong Kong. But she wasn’t receiving any guests.” He murmured, the elder nodded back.

“The very one. I just don’t think he’s suitable for her. I mean, that boy looks like trouble. And he probably is.”

“Maybe you shouldn’t get into jie jie’s business, pa. It’s not like anyone can dictate on Diana Wu.” He smiled.

“She deserves someone better, someone more suitable. Someone that won’t tarnish the family name.”

“Pa, don’t’~”

“She’d make the perfect match for you, son. You two are in the same level.”

 

 

Diana stared at her reflection and puffed her cheeks, she felt tired. No, she felt lazy, taking a bath was one thing and now time for makeup.

She was standing in front of the bathroom mirror, with a towel wrapped around her body. She could hear Lucas outside, he was probably watching TV. She proceeded to prime her face while running her fingers through her damp hair.

Diana almost dropped the hair dryer when the door suddenly slid open, Lucas walked in with a grin on his face.

“Do you mind?” She muttered, Lucas looked at her and smiled.

“I don’t know how to do this.” He motioned towards his bowtie, he was already dressed for the party. It was a deep green crushed velvet suit with matching pants and a white shirt underneath.

“Just leave it like that, looks cute.” Diana mumbled as Lucas fiddled with the bowtie, a little annoyed.

“It amazes me that you can just walk in here with a straight face.” She stated, Lucas looked at her and then his brows rose.

“Oops.” He mused, Diana sent him a look.

“However, rosy cheeked Diana is cute.” He hummed before grabbing the girl by the waist, Diana ignored him and continued drying her hair.

“I don’t have a good feeling about this. It’s too windy outside.” Diana pointed out, Lucas’s eyes widened when the towel started to slide down and he held onto it tightly.

“D—Di, the~”

“You started it.” She stated, Lucas grimaced and looked away.

She started to laugh at his actions, she eventually shook off the towel and Lucas ran out of bathroom.

“Sorry!” He yelled, Diana shook her head and looked the mirror again, she was already wearing a pair of loose terry shorts and a black bandeau that would match her dress for the party.

“What an idiot.”

 

 

“Happy birthday!” Diana greeted as they reached the group, Xiaojun’s party was being held at the rooftop of their family’s hotel and it offered the young elites the pleasant night view of Beijing.

“My favorite couple is here.” Xiaojun mused as the girl gave him a hug, Lucas rolled his eyes at his friend.

“Ming and Lina just got here, they were looking for food,” Hendery announced as he scooted over to make room for them.

“How was your flight?” Yang Yang asked as they sat down, Diana’s eyes roamed around the party, the place was already full and she could recognize a few faces in the crowd.

“It was fine, we checked in earlier. However, I was asked to drop by the office tomorrow.”

Xiaojun chuckled and took a sip from his drink, Diana picked up a flute champagne and she spotted her friends.

“This is my cue, bye boys.” She mused before standing up and making her way towards Ming and Lina. Lucas glanced over his shoulder and watched as the girl crossed the hall, Hendery grew amused as people started to stare.

“They haven’t seen her in a long time and some think she’s a new face.” Yang Yang said jokingly, Lucas asked for mango juice before nodding.

“But, actually, Diana’s a mystery to most of the guys here.” Xiaojun stated.

“A mystery? More like a closed book.” Hendery joked, Diana was already with her friends, chatting.

“No, people only know Kris ge because he stayed here for work before. But Diana didn’t. And that’s why,” Xiaojun jutted his lips towards the three, Lucas glanced over his shoulder and noticed a group of three males slowly approaching them.

“They’re curious. Because your girlfriend’s pretty and kind of intimidating.”

“That sounds so weird and contradicting at the same time. Diana’s actually nice.” Yang Yang murmured, Hendery nodded and picked up his drink. Lucas saw how Diana’s nose scrunched up as the males introduced themselves to her friend.

“They want to know how it feels like to have her attention. To be seen by Diana Wu is really something.”

“Seen? Is she blind then?” Yang Yang mused, Xiaojun kicked his shoe. Lucas started to grin as the guys invited them to dance, and Diana was grimacing as one of the males tried reaching for her hand.

“Having her attention is one thing, but handling the temper is definitely another thing.” Lucas said as he stood up and jogged towards the girls.

“Only one person can handle that thing.” Hendery laughed, Xiaojun smiled and he noticed two familiar faces walk in the party.

“Moli jie, Shasui!”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++