009

Cross My Heart

 

“We really are at that age when we actually have work to tend to.” Lina murmured as she hooked arms with Diana.

“Isn’t that kind of a normal thing? What are you babbling about?” The Wu lady replied, Ming chuckled as they entered the Roger Vivier boutique.

“Don’t mind her, she’s been trying to avoid running into her father at work lately.”

“Really? Why? How’s uncle doing lately?” Diana asked as she picked up a pair of heels and examined them with curiosity.

“He’s fine, it’s just that he’s been making me go on blind dates,”

Diana started to laugh and Ming high-fived her, Lina rolled her eyes at her friends.

“It is funny, Lina you hate men. You don’t talk to males.” Ming said before calling for a sales representative, she was asking for her size.

“And, no, Hendery and the guys don’t count.” Diana said before the girl could say anything.

“Anyway, you,” Lina waved off the topic and took Diana by the arm.

“I didn’t know the Wongs were friends with Phoenix Group.” The girl said as they sat down.

“Phoenix.” Diana repeated, Ming nodded.

“The Gong sisters from last night.”

“Ah.” Diana’s lack of interest annoyed her friends, the girl started fit more shoes.

“Ah? Diana, those girls are….dangerous.”

“Really? They both can’t seem to walk properly in high heels.” Diana murmured as she looked at her feet.

“Approaching Lucas like that…it seems..the timing seems odd, that’s all, Di.”

Diana nodded back and smiled at her friends.

“Lucas is an only son, Diana. They probably see him as an opportunity. What happens if they try taking him?” Ming mused, half-serious.

“Then, they can try me.” Diana chuckled, still unbothered.

“Just….watch out, okay, Di?”

 

 

Lucas was smiling as he looked at the screen, his secretary remained quiet behind him.

“Nowadays, it’s all about sustainability, right? So, our team has managed to come up with this new research to~”

“Jie, wait, I don’t want to get your hopes up, but,” Lucas spoke, the lights went back on and Shasui looked up.

“I know, you’re not the one to decides on what to green light.” Moli smiled, Lucas nodded back.

“I will have to talk to this about pa, and honestly, I only see positive things with this proposal.” Lucas explained as he straightened his tie.

“I thought you would never enjoy this, Yukhei.” Shasui spoke, Lucas chuckled.

“I thought I wouldn’t, but someone told me that I might like it.” He replied, Moli nodded along.

“So, what do you think? Can you put on a good word to your father for us?”

Lucas pursed his lips but he nodded at his friends.

“I’ll mention this once I get home.”

“Home? Hong Kong?” Shasui queried, Lucas grinned.

“Seoul.” His reply made Moli look away and roll her eyes.

“So, how about we eat together? I’m meeting up with some friends for lunch, I’d like it if you two can come.”

 

 

“Where’s Di?” Lina asked as they stepped out of the makeup store, the two girls looked around and spotted Diana. She was on the phone.

“Di,” Lina called for her, she looked up and walked to them. To their surprise, the girl was speaking in her mother tongue.

“Who?” Ming mouthed.

“A friend.” Diana mouthed back, and then she suddenly smiled.

“Lin Lin, how about we video chat? I’d like you to meet my friends.”

“Lin Lin?” Ming echoed, Diana pulled her phone away from her ear and tapped on the screen. Lina looked on with interest and a handsome face appeared on the phone’s screen.

“Is this you showing off that you’re having a lot of fun there, jie?” He spoke, then he noticed the two women behind Diana. He blinked before giving them a small smile.

“Diana, who’s this?” Lina said lightly.

“Ah, remember that childhood buddy I mentioned a few weeks ago? This is him. Lina this Lai Guanlin, Lin Lin this is Lina.” Diana said, Lina blinked but she said hi to the male.

Ming stared at the man’s face, her brows rising.

“Lai Guanlin as in…Lai Group of Holdings?”

“That would be my father.” He replied politely, Diana chuckled.

“We go way back with the Lais, Ming. Do you know them?”

“Kind of, but nice to meet you, Guanlin. It’s Ming.” Ming said, her eyes darted to Diana. Guanlin smiled and briefly introduced himself, Lina was almost charmed.

“Anyway, I’ll call you back later. And, don’t worry, I didn’t forget.”

“Forget what, jie?” Guanlin laughed, the two girls glanced at each other.

“I promised to show you around. I’ll see you when I get back.” Diana stated, Guanlin chuckled before waving at her, then the call ended.

“Wow, that was the Lai son. He’s always been talk of the town.” Ming mused, Lina blinked at her.

“What?” Diana said as they walked towards the elevators.

“He’s quite popular because, well, you’ve seen him. He’s very handsome and, there’s been rumors about him taking over in a few years.”

“Ugh.” Diana shuddered, Lina grew amused.

“But it’s nice you two are friends, he’s a good connection, Di.”

“I tend to see people as friends, like human friends. Not business connections, but thanks.” Diana shot back.

“A very good looking connection too,” Lina commented, Ming nodded, agreeing with the girl.

 

 

“Lina bailing out on us is very peak Lina behavior.” Ming commented as they stepped down from the car, Diana nodded and looked at the restaurant.

“Well, she did ditch work for us.” Diana said as they went up the steps, they saw Xiaojun walking up to them.

“You’re flying to Shanghai tomorrow, right?” He asked as he joined the two, they were led to a private hall.

“The grandparents insist that I visit.”

"The said grandparents also love Lucas." Ming mused, Dina shook her head.

"They probably have replaced me with him or something."

Ming chuckled and pushed the doors open, she walked in first and she paused, between Hendery and Lucas the two Gong sisters were seated and chatting happily.

“Di,” Hendery spoke, Lucas looked up and smiled.

Shasui put her phone down and her eyes went to Diana, her forehead creased briefly as Lucas turned away from her. There was that smile again, every time the Wu young lady appeared her childhood friend's attention would be all on her.

“We already ordered food,” Yang Yang spoke up from his seat, his eyes were on Diana. Ming glanced at the table and looked at her friend.

“Hey,” Diana replied as she moved forward, Xiaojun took his seat and nudged his friend, Yang Yang could only shrug.

“I thought it was just going to be us, I didn’t know we had additions.” Ming commented as she took her seat, Hendery looked away, he already felt uncomfortable.

“Di, come here.” Lucas spoke as he patted the empty chair beside him, Diana was about to take her seat when something caught her eye. Xiaojun and Yang Yang followed her gaze and they both winced.

“What the hell is that?” She said, Diana looked so offended and that confused Shasui.

“Oh, you might not know this dish because it’s a traditional~” Moli tried to speak.

“Why do we have rice in a pineapple on our table? And is that…cucumber?” She ignored Moli’s comment as she sat down, Lucas smiled before moving the turntable.

“Oh, we have normal rice.”

“Normal enough for you,” Hendery mused, trying to lighten up the mood.

“Who ordered that? It looks like tras~”

“Diana,” Yang Yang hummed, worried that Diana might hurt Moli's feelings, the girl’s eyes went to him and they narrowed.

“Shasui wanted to have that, so we ordered some. Here,” Lucas put some beef on her plate.

“You don’t even eat that.” She jutted her lips towards the fish, Ming glanced at the two other women on the table.

“Well, we have other food coming.” Lucas commented, Diana turned to him, noticing his tie. She leaned over and started to straighten it properly, her nose scrunched.

“What is it now?” Lucas grew amused, and then the girl simply removed the tie. Shasui’s eyes widened when Diana started to the first two buttons of his shirt.

Ming smiled and looked at her plate.

“I get to decide what to order for dessert.” Diana mumbled before pulling away from him, he nodded.

“Oh, they serve great Lychee~” Shasui started.

“Lucas is allergic.” Diana commented without looking up from her plate, she took one sniff of the beef before putting her fork down.

Who suggested this place?” She murmured in Korean just as Ming’s face crumpled, she set her spoon down.

They did, why?” Lucas asked, Diana looked up from her plate, Xiaojun was discreetly pushing his plate away from him.

Just eat the rice, don’t try anything else, babe. Please.” Diana mused before calling for the waiter.

Moli was eyeing the two, she grew annoyed as they continued to converse in Korean.

Is it that bad?” Lucas asked as he picked up his spoon, Shasui saw how Diana gently held onto his wrist, stopping him from eating.

It smells like sewer water, probably taste like it too. I guess that’s what they’re in to.” Ming joked, Hendery and Yang Yang almost choked on their food.

“Is something wrong?” Moli chimed in.

You.” Ming chortled, Diana sent her a look and Lucas could only shake his head.

And suddenly her Korean is perfect.” The Wu young lady said from her seat, Shasui saw how Ming and the girl exchanged grins.

Brats.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++