002

Cross My Heart

 

Diana pursed her lips as the meeting went on; her brother was seated beside her, silent. The quarterly meeting was taking unusually long to finish and she was getting a little hungry.

They would have been finished by now if they weren’t so keen on nitpicking every detail of all the projects that were assigned to her.

She was starting to hate her job, and yet, she didn’t even sign up for this.

She crossed her legs and leaned back on her seat.

“Don’t you think this is a little too much, director?”

All eyes went to her, Diana felt her brother touch her arm, reminding her to keep calm.

Or, reminding her not to be mean to these old men again.

“Do you expect me to start a project that involves labor and construction with a limited budget? Do we get to hire Tony for this one?”

“Tony?” Director Hong asked, one of Diana’s avid fans.

Kris looked down, hiding his growing smile.

“Stark. Well, if you expect me to finish building a business complex in eight months, while cutting my budget, it only seems fair for you to have Iron Man help me out. Or Handy Manny, whoever’s available.” Diana reasoned as she stretched her palms forward, imitating the superhero’s famous move with his hand repulsors.

The room grew eerily quiet; even Diana’s secretary had to step out to laugh.

“Director Wu, if you give out replies~”

“Don’t tell me how to answer your pointless questions, how about next time you take all the projects and nitpick over them yourselves. That would save us time and effort, since all I do is wrong in your eyes. Which, may I remind you,”

Kris leaned back on his seat; he always did enjoy it when the board was at a loss for words with his sister.

“I am the one who’s in-charge of audit review this year; let’s see how all the departments are doing. And for next year,”

Director Hong went back to his seat.

“I would like to plan a reshuffling amongst all head managers in the office, wouldn’t it be nice to have you directors meet the other managers? The ones you’re not familiar with yet? Maybe it will help why accounting is always having a hard time liquidating our funds, right?”

The directors all looked away, not wanting to speak.

“So, director Wu’s proposal is given a green light?” Kris asked as he leaned forward.

“Y—Yes, president. The budget remains as it is.” Director Hong cleared his throat and looked away.

 

 

Lucas was drumming his fingers against his desk as his secretary briefed him regarding his schedule. His morning had been surprisingly calm and that put him at ease.

“Right, sir,”

Lucas looked up from his seat.

“I don’t know if you recall, but, are you familiar with Phoenix Group?”

He paused, his forehead creasing.

“The Gongs, yes. My family does business with them, Beijing based, right?”

“Yes, sir. They recently reached out asking if you would be interested in attending their anniversary event in Beijing,”

“When is this?”

“It’s next week, sir. I also heard that your parents were invited as well.”

Lucas pursed his lips, he fixed his tie after checking the time on his cellphone.

“I’ll think about it, I just got back, it might be difficult for me to fly out again.” He said as he stood up, the male nodded back.

Lucas picked up his coat before leaving his office; he made his way towards the elevator when his phone buzzed.

I’m hungry and I don’t want to drive. –Diana

He smiled before calling her number.

“Wong,” She answered.

“What do you feel like eating?”

“I want pasta, is that okay? You’re not exactly a fan.” She replied, Lucas shook his head as he pressed the button for the lobby.

“I can get a pizza or risotto, should I drive by the lobby?”

“Yes, please. It’s not like I enjoy keeping you in the basement.” She mused at him.

Lucas smiled to himself; he arrived at the lobby and found his car already waiting for him. Last year, when Diana just started formally working for their company, she wasn’t comfortable with being talk of the town, so she always asked him to pick her up at the basement parking, never at the lobby.

The valet bowed politely as the young executive got inside the Maserati.

“So, now you’re into showing me off?” He replied as he started the engine, Diana snorted from the other line before ending the call.

Lucas chuckled before speeding away from the building.

 

 

Diana crossed the lobby, she as checking her phone when she felt someone come up behind her. She turned and paused, trying to put a name on the man’s face.

“Diana, it’s uncle Lai, I was at the meeting earlier,” He spoke in Mandarin.

Diana smiled and nodded, finally remembering him.

“It’s been a while, uncle. How have you been?”

“I’m good, thanks for asking. But, I didn’t enjoy how they were circling around you.”

Diana laughed and shook her head.

“Was it tough love or do they just don’t like me? We’ll never know, uncle.”

“Right, you and my son used to play around the office too when you two were younger, do you remember? Your father would fly you and your brother to Seoul for the summer.”

Diana saw the Maserati pull over the curb, she faced the male again.

“I do, has he been doing well?”

“He’s finally coming home in a few weeks; can I invite you over for dinner when he arrives?”

“Of course, uncle. I have to go now, excuse me.” She said apologetically, the man nodded back and watched as the girl stepped out of the building.

His eyes zeroed in on the vehicle, a tall male slid down to greet Diana.

His brows went up, trying to recognize the young man; the male broke into a smile as he opened the door for Diana.

The girl shook her head before stretching her fist at him, the male grinned and bumped fists with the Wu heiress.

“He must be a friend, they seem close.” He murmured to himself before moving along, he heard the loud purr of the Maserati’s engine and he shook his head disapprovingly.

“A bit over the top too.”

 

 

“Not entirely easy when you have one of your main hubs in Hong Kong, with everything that’s happening right now, it’s just…a total mess.” Lucas murmured, Diana nodded along.

“I know, I haven’t been able to visit one of our offices, gege doesn’t seem to be keen on flying there as well.”

“I don’t want you to fly there, but that’s just me.” Lucas mused, Diana shook her head.

“Xiaojun’s birthday is coming up, did he call you?”

“He did, he wants a rooftop party.”

“In Beijing. He demanded that I come.” Diana hooked arms with him as they reached a clothing store.

“He said I didn’t really need to go, that jerk.” Lucas muttered, she chuckled as her eyes scanned through the rows of men’s wear.

“Are we looking for clothes?” Lucas asked.

“Can we fly for Xiaojun’s party? Ming and Lina are going. And, I know you just got back and you have a lot of work to catch up on, but..please?” Diana asked as she faced him.

“Okay, let’s do that. It’s just a few days.” He said, the girl smiled and straightened his tie.

“You were going to choke me with that if I said no, huh?” He asked jokingly, as he patted her waist.

“You bet.” She scrunched her nose at him; Lucas chuckled and kissed her forehead. Diana shooed him away before focusing on the clothes again.

“I want to get you a welcome back to Seoul gift, and, I want to see how you look in crushed velvet.”

“The roles are a bit reversed here; you’re taking me on a shopping trip?” He asked playfully as he followed her, well, most of his work suits were curated by Diana.

“You got me a wallet, Wong.”

“That was nothing, Di. You don’t have to do this.” He said as he held onto her purse for her.

“And a car.” Diana added, Lucas blinked.

“That was~”

“Not nothing. Now, shut up.” She muttered back, Lucas grinned and let the girl be.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++