Chicken Noodle Soup

The Jung Family Holiday Stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chicken Noodle Soup

“Hey, Taeyong~!” Jaejoong greeted with a warm smile when he answered the front door. “Good Morning Mr. Jaejoong.” Taeyong bowed, shyly entering the home. “You can just call me Jaejoong.” Jaejoong told him for the nth time, shutting the door. “S-Sorry.” The young boy apologized in mere panic.

Jaejoong gave him a gentle smile, “It’s okay.” He wanted to tell him not to apologize, but he feared that it’d only make him panic more. Taeyong had always been shy growing up. Jaejoong had known him since he was a baby and was his preschool teacher at one point, and he was still shy around him. But Jaejoong was proud to be one of the few adults that the 9-year-old was most comfortable with.

“Boys! Taeyong is here. Are you guys ready?” Jaejoong called. “I’m ready.” Jaehyun appeared before them first. “H-Hi Jaehyun.” Taeyong greeted quietly. Jaehyun returned the greeting with a warm smile that matched his father’s. “Where’s Daehyun?” Jaejoong asked. Jaehyun shrugged, not knowing his brother’s whereabouts. “Coming!” Daehyun ran out the kitchen, his hands behind his back.

Jaejoong studied him suspiciously. “What’s behind your back?” He questioned.

Daehyun grinned cheekily. “Nothing~.” He sang. “What is it?” Jaehyun tried to peak, but Daehyun pulled away. Jaejoong raised an eyebrow, “What are you hiding?” He folded his arms. “Appa’s lunch~.” Daehyun finally said, revealing his father’s lunch bag. Jaejoong sighed, shaking his head. I told him not to forget his lunch.

“Here.” Jaejoong held out his hand, signaling for the 11-year-old to hand it over. Daehyun’s expression turned to panic. “But you said I can have it if Appa forgets his lunch again.” He held onto the lunch bag tightly. “I know. But let’s just give him one more chance, okay? Then if he forgets it again, I promise you can have it.” Jaejoong promised.

Daehyun pouted. “Okay.” He gave in, handing the lunch over. “Appa always gets the best lunch.” He muttered. Jaehyun nodded in agreement. “Jaejoong Appa always makes him the best lunch.” Daehyun continued. “What did you say?” Jaejoong turned to him with a slightly threatening look. Daehyun jumped behind his brother. “Nothing~ appa~.” He smiled sweetly.

Jaejoong shook his head. What am I going to do with him? “We have to go, or else you guys are gonna be late.” He said, grabbing his keys. “Yeh~!” The boys answered, slipping on their shoes. Daehyun was the first to run out the door, claiming the passenger’s seat.

 

 

 

The school wasn’t far from their home. They arrived in a matter of minutes, with plenty of time before the bell rang. “Bye Appa!” Jaehyun waved his father goodbye, before climbing out the car last and shutting the door. Jaejoong watched as Jaehyun and Taeyong walked into the building together. Daehyun was already long gone, having tun in first. He was about to drive off when he received a text from his husband.

‘Um, I think I forget my lunch. Could you drop it off?’

Jaejoong shook his head and replied before driving off to work.

‘Daehyun already ate it.’

 

 

Daehyun waited in his seat expectantly. He glanced at the empty desk next to him. Trying to calculate when his friend would arrive. However, his hope dwindled away when the bell rang and the desk next to him was still empty. Where is he? He’s never late? However, he decided to wait before making any conclusions. A cheeky grin grew on his lips. He was pleased by the idea of teasing the younger about being late and how he was early. But as the day passed, the desk remained empty. And Daehyun realized that his friend wasn’t going to show up by the time lunch came.

 

“Can I have your lunch if you’re not gonna eat it?” Jongin asked as they sat at the lunch table. “No.” Daehyun hugged his lunch box with a pout. “What’s wrong? Did you get in trouble again?” Kyungsoo asked curiously.

“No?” Daehyun spat defensively. “Youngjae’s not here.” He pouted, shrinking back down.

“Oh~. Yeah. He’s sick.” Kyungsoo answered nonchalant, returning to his lunch. Daehyun’s eyes widened. “What?! How do you know?!” “He’s my neighbor, I heard his parents talking to mine. And they said that.” Kyungsoo shrugged. “You’re his neighbor?!” Daehyun said in amazement.

Kyungsoo nodded.

Lucky. Daehyun thought to himself. “Can I buy your house?” He suddenly asked.

“No.” was Kyungsoo’s short answer.

“What? Why not~?” Daehyun felt hurt by the rejection. “Do you have house money?”

“What?”

“I don’t know. That’s what my dad always says when he says no to me.” Kyungsoo shrugged. Daehyun pouted at this. “Is he gonna be back tomorrow?” Jongin asked.

The elder shrugged. “I don’t think so. He has…the flu.” He whispered the last part as if it were a secret. A loud gasp escaped from Daehyun and Jongin’s lips. “That means he’s gonna be gone all week!” Daehyun exclaimed. “I feel bad for him. I hope he gets better soon.” Jongin said, ignoring the elder’s outburst. Kyungsoo nodded in agreement.

“We have to do something!” Daehyun slammed his fist on the table. He winced at the painful impact. “We have to make him get better faster.”

“How?” Jongin questioned. “We have to look on the internet. There’s things you have to do to make someone better soon. We have to help him get better today. If we don’t, he can die!” Daehyun exclaimed.

Kyungsoo’s and Jongin’s eyes widened. “We can go to the library during recess.” Daehyun said. “But the library lady hates us. Remember? She banned us.” Jongin reminded his cousin about the several times they got in trouble for running around in the library during recess.” Daehyun said. “But the library lady hates us. Remember? She banned us.” Jongin reminded his cousin about the several times they go in trouble for running around in the library and playing PC games on the computer.

The two looked at Kyungsoo. “She hates me too. Because I won’t give back any of the books I checked out.” He confessed.

“Why won’t you give them back?” Jongin asked. “I can’t give them back! They’ve my favorite books!” Kyungsoo defended, folding his arms. Daehyun thought deeply to himself. “She loves Jaehyun! We can get him to do it.” He perked. “But we will he do it?” Jongin questioned doubtfully. “Not for free, he won’t.” Daehyun said in thought, before perking back up again. “I have an idea.” He began scheming

 

 

Jaejoong opened the door to the office without bothering to knock. “Oh, Jaejoong, I didn’t know you were coming.” The real estate agent looked up from his desk. His eyes slightly, widened in surprise when the elder dropped a familiar lunch box on his desk. “I thought you said Daehyun ate it.” Yunho said.

Jaejoong huffed. “Not this time, but I will let him eat it next time, and that’s a promise.” He threatened.

Yunho grinned at this and leaned over his desk to a gentle kiss on his husband’s lips. “Thank you~.” He sat back down and opened his lunch. Jaejoong pulled a seat closer to the desk. “I get to have some too.” He said, reaching for the food as well. “I’m starting to think you’re doing this on purpose.” He said as they ate.

“What makes you think that?” Yunho questioned, his mouth full. “To get me to come all the way out here and eat lunch with you.” Jaejoong accused. “Ah~, nothing gets passed you hm?” Yunho grinned cheekily.

“Yah. I’m serious, I’m not doing it again. I have work too you know.” His husband warned. “I know~.” Yunho hummed, a grin glued to his lips.

Jaejoong studied him suspiciously, wondering what was going on in his mind. “Stop looking at me like that, and just eat.” Yunho noticed this and punched a piece of Kimbap between the elder’s plump lips. “I just want to enjoy this moment before we have to get back to work and head home.” Yunho confessed. “We hardly get time to ourselves.”

Jaejoong sighed in agreement, knowing he was right. Yunho sometimes worked irregulars hours and always traveled here and there for his job. Sometimes he’d be gone for days or wouldn’t get home until long after Jaejoong was asleep. But that wasn’t the biggest issue. Their main issue were their sons. Jaejoong never thought having two boys would be so time consuming and chaotic. He imagined that two children would be easy to take care of. But that wasn’t the case with Daehyun and Jaehyun.

Daehyun was mischievous and always found his way into trouble. Jaehyun was much calmer but was sneaky when it came to his own mischievous ways. Yunho and Jaejoong had to pay a closer eye on them. Because of that they don’t get much time to spend with each other. And the small moments they get at home were interrupted by their sons teasing them.

Jaejoong didn’t mind it, however, he loved his sons dearly, but it did get exhausting over time. “Well, enjoy it. I’m not changing my mind.” Jaejoong said.

Yunho scoffed, but then smiled again. “Then should I bring you lunch?”

Jaejoong shook his head in somewhat of an amusement. “You can’t.” He reminded. The preschool he worked at was strict on allowing outsiders into the school in order to protect the children.

“Then that settles it. We need to go on a date.” Yunho confirmed. “Oh~! That’s a great idea. I know a restaurant that everyone will love, they serve Jaehyun and Daehyun’s favorite foods.” Jaejoong perked up at the idea.

Yunho frowned, “I mean without the kids.”

Jaejoong paused, registering his words. “Without the kids?”

Yunho nodded.

“Without them? I…I don’t know.” Jaejoong said. Yunho sighed, but he wasn’t surprised, he knew this would happen. Ever since their sons were born, Jaejoong was attached to them and pretty much did everything for and with them and go anywhere.

“I’m sorry. It’s just that we can’t leave them home alone. And we’d have to find the right babysitter. And make sure that they’re fed and taken care of. And that no one takes their eyes off of them. I just don’t think it’s a good idea.” Jaejoong apologized when Yunho didn’t respond.

“It’s okay.” Yunho simply said.

“Huh?” Jaejoong said, a bit surprised. “I said it’s okay. I understand.” Yunho smiled.

Jaejoong nodded. He was

Please log in to read the full chapter