Are You There?

The Jung Family Holiday Stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

As the days went by, Daehyun was in higher spirits than before. The feeling of Christmas never left him as he anticipated New Year’s Day. He slept with his new stuffed toy every night as he promised. Both Jaejoong and Yunho had been surprised and concerned that Youngjae had came to Heechul’s house along late at night but didn’t say anything about it to Daehyun and agreed to let his friend over for New Year’s.

“It’s New Year’s Eve!” Daehyun announced early that morning. “New Year’s is almost here!” Jaehyun jumped as he and Daehyun ran into the kitchen, smelling the breakfast their father was making. “You guys are more excited about the New Year than usual.” Jaejoong chuckled. “Because that means more birthday presents and more Christmas presents and more Money!” Jaehyun said.

“More money?” Jaejoong repeated confused.

“Yeah. Uncle Yoochun told us that people get more money at the beginning of each year, and that’s when we can make the most money. Then he winked at us.” Jaehyun explained.

Jaejoong shook his head. What am I going to do about that man? “And why are you excited Dae?” Jaejoong asked.

“I know why he’s excited!” Jaehyun said before Daehyun could answer. “Because Youngjae is coming over.” He said. Daehyun nodded in confirmation, unable to contain his smile.

“Appa.” Jaehyun whispered. “I think Daehyun has a crush on Youngjae.” He whispered to his father. Jaejoong nodded in agreement. “That’s gross.” Jaehyun said, giggling a little. “Shh~, let’s keep it a secret.” Jaejoong whispered. Jaehyun nodded and zipped his lips and ran off to the table.

“Daehyun, does Youngjae need a ride?” Jaejoong asked. He didn’t want the 10-year-old to walk in the cold alone again. “No. he said his parents said they’ll drop him here.” Daehyun answered. Jaejoong nodded. He wondered if he should speak to the boy’s parents to see if they knew about Christmas night. He wanted to offer to give him a ride if he ever needed it.

“Good Morning family.” Yunho slid into the kitchen, ruffling his sons’ hair. “Good morning Appa.” The two laughed. “Morning.” Jaejoong hummed when Yunho walked to him and kissed him. “Remind me to not let Yoochun alone with the kids again.” Jaejoong told him.

“About that…” but before Yunho could finish, the doorbell rang.

Jaejoong looked at him. “Don’t tell me he’s babysitting them.” He said. Yunho laughed uneasily. “I won’t tell you then.” He said. Jaejoong released a heavy sigh before walking to the door, followed by Yunho.

 

“Good Morning~,” Yoochun sang when Jaejoong opened the door. Jaejoong turned to Yunho. “This is the best babysitter you could get?” “You told me not to ask Heechul to babysit them again, so I asked him.” Yunho defended.

“Yeah, but he’s worse.”

“Um, I’m right here.” Yoochun waved. “And me too.” Junsu popped from behind the taller male.

Jaejoong released a heavy sigh, opening the door further to allow them inside. “I guess it’ll be okay since Junsu is here to.” He said, sending Yunho a quick glare. “I’m going to take that as a compliment. I knew you’d turn out to be a strict parent.” Yoochun patted his shoulder. Both Junsu and Jaejoong shook their heads. “I’m sorry.” Junsu apologized for his husband, something he felt that he had to do often. “When is Changmin coming?” Yoochun asked, moving the topic from himself.

“He won’t be coming until late in the evening. Apparently, he has a date this afternoon.” Yunho answered. He and Yoochun shared a smirk. “Another one?”

“Yep.”

“Is it with the same person?”

“Nope, someone else.”

Yoochun laughed at this, “Isn’t he dating like three people now? Wow. He’s amazing. I wonder how he does it without getting caught?” “For starters he doesn’t tell anyone who he’s dating.” Junsu remarked. Yunho shrugged, “He doesn’t like settling down.”

“See Jae? It’s Changmin you need to be careful of. He’s gonna end up turning the boys into heartbreakers.” Yoochun said. “Changmin has never talked to the boys about dating.” Jaejoong retorted. “Not ye. But wait till they reach their teens.” Yoochun promised confidently.

“Uncle Junsu! Uncle Yoochun!” Daehyun and Jaehyun ran to the front when they heard their Uncles’ voices. They greeted both of them with tight hugs. “Do you have money for me Uncle Yoochunnie?” Jaehyun asked sweetly. “Well, for that cute smile of yours, I’ll give you 50 cents.” Yoochun said, pulling out two quarters from his pocket and put it in his nephew’s hand.

Jaehyun looked at him offended. “My smile is not worth 50 cents.”

Yoochun smiled and knelt down to his height. “You’re right. There’s no amount of money that can amount to your smile, because your smile is priceless.

Jaehyun looked at him unimpressed. “Just say you’re broke Uncle Yoochun.”

Yoochun was speechless. Junsu laughed at this. “But Uncle Junsu is rich.” Jaehyun beamed, skipping up to his other uncle. “That’s right, because unlike your uncle here, I save my money.” Junsu said, giving his husband a teasing smile. Yoochun scoffed, standing back up. “This kid.”

“We should get going.” Yunho said, handing Jaejoong his coat. They both already had their shoes and gloves on. “Where are you going?” Daehyun asked, not aware that his parents had planned to leave.

“They’re going on a date.” Yoochun wiggled his eyebrows. Daehyun made an ‘O’ shape with his mouth. “Have fun.” He smirked to his parents.

Neither Jaejoong nor Yunho knew how to interpret their son’s sly smile. “We’ll be back in a few hours.” Jaejoong told them. “I already finished making breakfast. So, you’re more than welcome to have some. I also prepared some snacks that are in the fridge in case the boys get hungry.” Jaejoong informed Junsu. Then he turned to his sons.

“Remember my number one rule?” He asked. The boys nodded. “Never accept food or candy from Uncle Yoochun.” They recited in unison. Jaejoong smiled in relief. Yoochun was thrown off by the rule. “What?”

“Shouldn’t the rule be don’t accent candy from strangers?’ He questioned. “That’s the second rule. I’d trust a stranger with food than you.’ Jaejoong simply said. Junsu held back a laugh.

“Alright, let’s go.” Yunho quickly led Jaejoong out the door before he and Yoochun could get started. “Pffffttt…whatever.” Yoochun murmured before turning to his nephews. A large grin grew on his lips. “Now that those two are gone, let’s have some fun.” He clasped his hands together. “Yeah!!” The boys cheered, running into the kitchen to eat their breakfast.

 

 

“Isn’t this place cute?” Jaejoong gleamed as he and Yunho were seated in their booth at the breakfast diner. His aunt had recently opened up a new diner a month ago and it was his and Yunho’s first time eating there. It was a small old-fashioned diner with a homey feeling. It was already the talk of the town. “The food smells delicious.” Yunho agreed looking through the menu. He swore he could smell the food from each item he looked at. “Everything is freshly made, using my aunt’s recipes.” Jaejoong smiled proudly. Yunho chuckled at his husband.

“Good Morning~. Welcome to-…Jaejoong! Is that you?!” The waitress approached their table a few minutes later. “Sooyoung!” Jaejoong beamed. He stood up and gave his cousin a hug. “hey Yunho.” Sooyoung smiled. Yunho returned the warm greeting.

“Are you two here on a breakfast date?” Soo young cooed to her cousin. Jaejoong playfully rolled his eyes. “Can you just take our order please?” He asked, already knowing where the conversation was gonna go if he responded. Sooyoung shrugged. “Fine.” She flipped out her pen and pad and took down their orders before leaving them to themselves again.

 

“This is the best shake I’ve ever had!” Yunho said with wide eyes after they received their drinks. “A milkshake? This early in the morning?” Jaejoong questioned with a judgmental look. “It’s a handcrafted shake made from real milk.” Yunho corrected teasingly. Jaejoong paused for a moment, “Are you making fun of me?”

“Of course not, love.” Yunho winked.

“Mm hm.” Jaejoong sipped his coffee, not believing him. “you’re going to get cold rom drinking that shake you know. It’s already cold outside.” He warned. “That’s not a problem. That’s what I have you for.” Yunho smirked.

 

 

“Get him!” Jaehyun shouted.

Daehyun jumped off the couch and onto his uncle. “Arg.” Yoochun stumbled. “I got his leg!” Jaehyun grabbed his ankle. “Wait, don’t do that.” Yoochun warned, but he was too late. Jaehyun pulled his leg and the three of them came crashing down.

Junsu shrieked. He felt as if his soul left his body. “Are you two okay?” He ran to the three of them, checking his nephews for any cuts or wounds. “Oooh~, are you okay?” Junsu panicked checking all over Daehyun’s body. “I’m fine Uncle Junsu.” Daehyun laughed when his uncle squished his face. When he was sure that the 11-year-old was okay, he moved onto Jaehyun.

“Yeah. I’m okay too. Totally fine. Thanks for asking.” Yoochun sat up, rubbing his head. But Junsu didn’t respond. “Uncle Yoochun. Let’s keep playing.” Daehyun jumped to his feet. “I have a better game.” Yoochun said. Jaehyun and Daehyun watched him expectantly. Yoochun smirked, “But it involves the stairs.”

Large grins grew on the boys’ faces.

“Oh gosh.” Junsu’s body went limp at the thought as he sat on the ground, already imagining all the horrible outcomes. Yoochun chuckled. “Nevermind. Let’s not give Uncle Junsu a heart attack.” He changed his mind. Junsu sighed in relief. “Awweee~…” Jaehyun frowned. “What are we going to play now?”

Yoochun thought to himself. “How about something peaceful? That doesn’t involve moving?” Junsu suggested. Jaehyun and Daehyun looked at him and busted into laughter. “That’s not playing!” Jaehyun said. “Unc

Please log in to read the full chapter