Find You 1/2

The Jung Family Holiday Stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

The streets were busy with people hustling and bustling in the cold weather. The holiday season had come around again and everyone was out enjoying the festivities and going gift shopping on their spare time. The 22-year old held out his thumb until he was able to catch a cab. He tossed his luggage into the car and gave the taxi driver his address.

He leaned back in his seat and stared out the window. His eyes blankly captured the festive scenery that passed by him. He was numb to the fantastic holiday decorations. It was nothing but over glorified advertisement. He had forgotten why he ever felt excitement and joy over the season at one point. All that was a distant memory to him. It felt more like a dream he had long ago, in which he wasn’t sure when he actually went to sleep or woke up.

“Thanks.” Daehyun thanked the driver when they arrived at his house. He handed the man a few extra bills as a tip. “No problem. Have a merry Christmas.” The man smiled warmly to him. Daehyun didn’t respond and exited the car with his luggage.

“Welcome home big bro!” Jaehyun was the one to open the door before Daehyun could put his key in. “Hey Jaehyun.” Daehyun greeted with a small smile. “Hey Dae! I was wondering when you were going to get here.” Yunho appeared from his home office. “Hey dad.” Daehyun returned the greeting. “My flight was delayed twice.”

Yunho nodded in understanding. “You must be tired then.” Daehyun nodded. “Well, I’m not gonna hold you. Go get some sleep before your Appa gets here. He’s staying at the daycare a little longer today. And you know when he gets home, you won’t be getting any sleep.” Yunho advised.

Daehyun only gave him a nod. He took a glance at the decorated home before heading upstairs. Jaehyun and Yunho looked at each other for a moment, both thinking the same thing.

 

Daehyun immediately fell onto his bed, releasing a long sigh. He really was exhausted from waking up early in the morning only to not get on his flight until 3 in the afternoon. It was now after 5.

A lot had changed over the past decade, aside from himself. Yunho continued his work as a realtor and Jaejoong still worked at the same preschool. But when Jaehyun entered high school the two opened up a daycare. It was a small daycare, but it thrived well.

Their neighbor, Taeyong, moved away sophomore year, but promised to visit this year when he comes down to visit family for the holiday break.

Daehyun went off to a university far from home to major in digital media and comes back to visit during his long breaks. Jaehyun started university a couple years after him in a school nearby, majoring in Marketing and Advertising. He commuted back home on the weekends. Other than those things, everything else had been relatively the same.

Daehyun closed his eyes, allowing himself to fall into a much needed and wanted deep sleep.

 

 

“Are you sure you’re okay by yourself? It’s after 6?” Tiffany asked her boss. “I’m fine Tiff, thanks.” Jaejoong assured her. She was reluctant but gave in. “Okay, but text me when you get home.”” She said. “I will. See you tomorrow.” Jaejoong chuckled. “Bye Ms. Tiffany!!” Kihyun waved. “Bye Ki.” She waved to the 4-year-old before leaving the daycare.

Jaejoong placed his hands on his hips, observing the messy room. He and Tiffany finished cleaning the other parts of the daycare, except for the play area where the kids left the toys all over the place. Kihyun stood next to him, mimicking his action. “Do you want to help me clean up these toys?” Jaejoong asked him.

Kihyun nodded vigorously. “I know where all the toys go!” He announced, running off to clean up the toys. Jaejoong chuckled, he never met a kid who was as excited about cleaning as Kihyun was. In fact, the 4-year-old was enthusiastic about everything he did.

Kihyun sang random Christmas songs as he cleaned, and invited Jaejoong to sing along with him. It only took them 15 minutes to pick up organize the toys. Once they finished, they prepared to leave. Jaejoong helped the preschooler put on his shoes and jacket. “Your uncle should be here any minute now.” Jaejoong said, wrapping the scarf securely around the child’s neck.

“Why am I always picked up last?” Kihyun asked innocently. “Because your uncle gets off of work late.” Jaejoong explained. “Ohh.” Was all the 4-year-old said. “Why? Do you not like spending time with me?” Jaejoong pouted.

Kihyun’s eyes grew large. “No! I like staying here with you!” He quickly said. Jaejoong smiled. “Good because I like being here with you too.” He said pinching his cheek. Kihyun’s face lit up at this.

At that moment, the buzzer went off, indicating that someone was at the door. “Looks like your uncle is here.” Jaejoong stood up and opened the door. “Sorry I’m late I-,” “Uncle Youngjae!” Kihyun ran to his uncle and hugged him. “Hi Ki.” Youngjae knelt down and picked up his nephew. “You missed it today hyung. We had so much fun. We got to play in the snow, and we drank hot chocolate! And we watched Christmas movies!” Kihyun babbled on about his day.

“Oh wow. It sounds like I missed out on all the fun.” Youngjae said. “You did! You have to come and play next time.” Kihyun told him. Jaejoong nodded in agreement. “You’re more than welcome to come and work here.” Jaejoong offered for the nth time. Youngjae only smiled. “Thank you again for everything. I’m sorry for being late. I’ll do better about being on time.” He said apologetically.

“Don’t worry about it.” Jaejoong assured him. “Kihyun and I like the extra time we get to spend together. Isn’t that right Ki?” he pinched the youngers cheeks again, causing him to giggle. “Yees~…’ He answered.

Youngjae nodded. “Well, goodnight. Thank you again.” “Bye Jaejoongie!” Kihyun waved as they walked away. “Good night, see you tomorrow.” Jaejoong waved back. He watched them until he couldn’t see them anymore, before locking up the daycare building and walking to his car.

He drove home with a heavy heart. He always did after Youngjae picked up Kihyun. He knew nothing about their life, except for that Youngjae needed someone to watch his nephew while he worked throughout the day. However, he did suspect that something was wrong and wanted to help. But Youngjae refused to receive any help from him. And since he knew absolutely nothing about him and his whereabouts the most he could do was care for Kihyun.

 

“I’m home~!” Jaejoong announced when he entered the house. “Appa! You came just in time. I just finished making dinner.” Jaehyun called from the kitchen. “It smells good Jae.” Jaejoong complimented. “I know.” Jaejoong could hear his son’s cheeky grin in his voice. He shook his head, shrugging off his coat. He then went to his bathroom to wash his hands before heading toward the kitchen.

“Hey Appa.” Daehyun greeted when he walked down the stairs. Jaejoong’s eyes lit up. “Daehyun!” he hugged him. “How are you? How was your flight? Yunho told me that it was delayed twice.” Jaejoong questioned him as they walked into the kitchen.

“It was good. It was delayed due to the weather.” Daehyun explained. They sat down at the table, where Yunho and Jaehyun were already seated. Jaejoong smiled, “Well at least you’re here now.” With that they said grace and began to eat.

“Do I not get a hello?” Yunho asked, noticing that his husband hadn’t said anything to him. “Hello Yunho.” Jaejoong said.

Yunho scoffed, “That’s it?”

“You know Jaehyun doesn’t like gross stuff.” Jaejoong said with a sneaky smirk. “I was a kid then.” Jaehyun defended. “Mm hm.” Jaejoong hummed. “So, you’re doing gross stuff now with your boyfriend?” Yunho asked.

Both Jaejoong and Daehyun nearly chocked at the unexpected question. Jaehyun stared at his father in disbelief but brushed it off. “I rather not answer that question.” He simply said, drinking his glass of water.

“That’s what I thought.” Yunho said, pleased with himself.

“Appa, how come you

Please log in to read the full chapter