Candy Corn and Scary Stories

The Jung Family Holiday Stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yunho entered his home only to be greeted by the chaotic combination of laughter, shouting, and screaming from young boys. Yunho furrowed his brow. He could’ve sworn that he had two boys before leaving for work this morning. Now his home sounded like a playground. “Yunho! Is that you?” Jaejoong called from the kitchen. “Yeh.” Yunho slipped off his shoes ands lid into his house slippers. “Did you go to the store?!” Jaejoong asked over the noise. “Yes~.” Yunho answered.

“Uncle Yunho!” Once of the boys ran to the man as he entered the kitchen. “Hey Jongin.” Yunho ruffled the 10-year-old’s hair. The other boys greeted him as well, before running back off to their playing.

“Daehyun, you’ve worn this costume for the past two years now. Don’t you want to be something else?” Jaejoong questioned his son as he tied the cape around the 11-year old’s neck. “No. Youngjae likes vampires. He said vampires are cool. So, I want to be a vampire this year.” Daehyun answered proudly. Jaejoong chuckled and shook his head before standing up. “Well, your costume is done and ready to go.” He announced. Daehyun’s face beamed, “Yay! Thank you Appa~!” He thanked before running off with the others.

“Hey.” Yunho walked to his husband, giving the elder a light peck on the lips. “You got what I asked?” Jaejoong’s eyes lit up as he took the grocery bags from the younger’s arms and started looking through them. “Mm hmm~…” Yunho hummed. However, his husband frowned when he pulled out three large bags of candy. “I thought I specifically told you not to get candy.”

Yunho scoffed, “You couldn’t expect me to not get candy. It’s Halloween.” He defended. “That’s exactly why. They’re already going to get a lot of candy as it is.” Jaejoong argued. “It’s only one day Jae.” “And another night I’m not going to get any sleep.” The elder groaned. Yunho chuckled. “At least we’ll go through it together.” He kissed the top of his lover’s forehead, who only hummed doubtfully.

“Anyway, I could’ve sworn I only had two sons this morning before I left.” Yunho said, getting to his question. “We’re stuck on babysitting duty tonight.” Jaejoong informed, beginning to put the groceries away. Yunho Joined him.

“My brother dropped Jongin over a couple of hours ago, because he wanted to go trick or treating with Daehyun and Jaehyun.” Jaejoong explained. Yunho nodded in understanding. “And I invited Taeyong next door to go trick or treating with the boys.” Yunho wasn’t surprised by this. Jaejoong spoke about inviting the shy boy to join their sons before. “And Jaehyun invited his school friends Johnny and Ten over too.” Jaejoong finished. “But that’s not all of them yet. Daehyun asked if Youngjae could sleep over, and Jongin’s friend, Kyungsoo, is supposed to stop by also.”

“Sounds like we’re gonna have a full house tonight.” Yunho remarked. “Yeah, and I have a feeling none of them are going to go home until tomorrow.” Jaejoong sighed. Yunho raised an eyebrow at this strange behavior. “I thought you like having kids over.”

“Not on Halloween night when their energy is above a thousand. Plus, the boys are older now. They don’t want me around when they’re hanging out with their friends.” Jaejoong pouted at the latter thought.

“That means you can spend time with me.” Yunho winked. Jaejoong playfully rolled his eyes and took out the vegetables and other ingredients he needed out the fridge. He went to the sink and started washing the veggies.

“I’m serious. When the kids go trick or treating, we can watch a movie.” Yunho suggested. Jaejoong blinked, “You mean, let them go by themselves?” He questioned.

Yunho looked at him. “You weren’t planning on going with them, were you?”

“Well, yeah.”

“Jae, they’re old enough to go on their own.” Yunho told them. “But Yun-,” “Dae and Jae are responsible and know their way around. Daehyun is gonna be 12 soon. If anything happens, he could always call us.” Yunho cut him off.

Jaejoong frowned. He wasn’t completely convinced but gave in anyway. “Fine.” He sighed, trusting his husband’s words. “Good. I have a good movie that we can watch.” Yunho hugged the ravenous man from behind, resting his chin on his shoulder. “It’s not a horror movie, is it?” “Of course, it is, but don’t worry. I’ll be here with you.” Yunho smirked, kissing the side of his neck. Jaejoong shook his head but was internally excited about the home movie.

 

The doorbell rang a few minutes later. “I got it!” Daehyun ran to the door, followed by the rest of the boys and his father. “Youngjae!” Daehyun cheered when he opened the door. Youngjae and Kyungsoo bowed and greeted Yunho before entering the house. “Kyungsoo hyung!” Jongin ran to his best friend and hugged him.

“You’re a vampire again?” Youngjae questioned his friend. Daehyun nodded proudly. “I only dress as a vampire, because I am a vampire.” Daehyun answered proudly. “No, you’re not.” Youngjae folded his arms. “Yes I am. So, you better be careful or else I’ll your blood.” Daehyun bared his fake fangs and started chasing the younger. Youngjae screamed, running away from him.

Yunho shook his head, amused by the scene. “Looks like everyone is here, assuming that Daehyun doesn’t catch Youngjae.” He turned to the rest of the boys who were anxiously waiting at the door. Taeyong’s eyes widened at his words. “Is Daehyun hyung really a vampire?” He asked fearfully. No, he’s not Taeyong. Daehyun is being weird. Vampires aren’t weird.” Jaehyun shook his head knowingly. Taeyong slowly nodded, not 100 percent convinced.

“You guys ready?” Yunho asked once Youngjae and Daehyun rejoined the group. “Neh~.” The 8 boys answered in unison. “Wait, wait.” Jaejoong quickly ran out the kitchen. “Don’t forget your baskets.” He said, handing each child a candy basket that they decorated earlier. “Alright, just a little run down before you guys go. Daehyun and Kyungsoo, you two are in charge since you’re the oldest.” Yunho began.

“W-We’re going by ourselves?” Taeyong asked wide-eyed. Yunho nodded. “Y-You’re not coming with us?” Yunho nodded once more. Taeyong became more fearful by the fact. Jaejoong knelt down in front of him and placed his hand on the 9-year-old’s shoulder. “It’s okay Taeyong. You guys will be fine as long as you stick together.” He assured him, while also assuring himself at the same time.

The boy shook his head. “But…but it’s Halloween. What if we bump into monsters or…or ghosts?” he shivered immensely at the possibilities. “Don’t worry Tae. There is no such thing as monsters and ghosts either.” Jaehyun promised.

Johnny and Ten giggled at this. “Are you Sure~?” They questioned, booing underneath their ghost costumes, causing Taeyong to shrink behind Jaehyun. “Yah!” Jaehyun spat threateningly at them. The two snickered underneath their breaths, backing down a little.

Jaejoong looked at Yunho with a worried expression, silently pleading him to let him join them. But Yunho shut down the plea with the shake of his head.

Jaejoong let out a defeated sigh and turned to the boy in his peter pan costume. “Don’t worry Taeyong. It’ll be fun. When you guys get back, I’ll have tasty snacks ready for you. How does that sound? Does that sound good?” Taeyong slowly nodded, still hidden behind Jaehyun. “Good.” Jaejoong gave him a warm smile before standing back up.

“And you guys don’t get any snacks if you try to scare Taeyong.” Jaehyun warned Johnny and Ten, who were secretly scheming to each other. “Hey~, we’re not gonna scare him.” Johnny frowned, not appreciating the threat. “Yeah~. You’re being no fun Jaehyun.” Ten pouted. Jaehyun glared at them, not believing their words.

“Can we go now? I’m gonna starve if I don’t get candy soon.” Daehyun groaned anxiously. “Vampires don’t eat candy.” Youngjae said matter-of-factly. “Yeah, but I’m a special vampire. I’m a candy vampire.” Daehyun responded.

Jongin furrowed his brow in confusi

Please log in to read the full chapter