Middle Of The Night

The Jung Family Holiday Stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yunho and Jaejoong returned to their home arm in arm, whispering sweet nothings to each other after their morning date. They had made it a tradition to go on a morning date every New Year’s Eve. However, when they entered their home, they were greeted by screaming and yelling, and the sight of Daehyun chasing a half- Kihyun in his diaper.

Jaejoong felt his knees go weak every time he saw Kihyun’s head barely miss a sharp corner. “Ahh!!” Jaehyun jumped out of a corner and trapped the 4-year-old in an oversized fishing net. Kihyun fell to the ground.

“What are you two doing?” Jaejoong finally asked once he was able to catch his breath. He marched up to them, followed by an amused Yunho. “We were trying to give him a bath, but he kept running away.” Jaehyun explained. Jaejoong shook his head. “Get that net off of him. He’s not an animal.” He ordered.

Jaehyun did as he was told and removed the net from over the child. “Jaejoongie!” Kihyun ran to his savior. Jaejoong knelt down to pick him up. “Now, why won’t you take a bath?” He asked him.

“Because, they made me wear a diaper! And they’re gonna make me wear one again.” Kihyun explained. “I don’t want to wear a diaper. I need to wear them anymore. I know how to use the potty myself.” He folded his arms with a huff. Jaejoong chuckled at this. “Uncle Daehyun and Jaehyun are sill, aren’t they?” He said. Kihyun nodded firmly. “come on. I’ll give you a bath.” Jaejoong said, already walking away with the preschooler.

“Where’s Youngjae?” Yunho asked. “He’s at work. He gets off later this afternoon.” Jaehyun answered. Yunho nodded, “Okay. Well, let’s get ready before our guests start coming.” He clasped his hands together. His sons nodded and helped him prepare for their small New Year’s party, while Jaejoong gave Kihyun a bath.

 

It wasn’t long before their family and friends began to arrive. It was a small get together. Everyone stood around chatting and eating snacks, anticipating the cannula count down. Youngjae texted Daehyun, telling him that he was working overtime and to pick him up a few hours later than what he originally told him.

Daehyun couldn’t help but feel anxious. The feeling of waiting for his friend was a familiar one and it made him extremely uncomfortable and nervous. He knew that Youngjae wouldn’t disappear, Afterall he was the one picking him up and Youngjae would never leave Kihyun. Bu, despite all this, he remained unnerved.

“Oooooh~, look who came together~…” Johnny teased when Kyungsoo and Jongin arrived. Kyungsoo playfully rolled his eyes. Jongin chuckled, proudly wrapping his arms around his boyfriend’s slender waist. “Speaking of couples. Jaehyun, where’s your boyfriend? You said he was coming today.” Johnny turned to the younger.

“He is.” Jaehyun answered confidently.

Ten thought to himself. “I’ve never seen your boyfriend.” He said. “Neither have I.” Johnny said. Jongin and Kyungsoo both shook their heads, confirming that they hadn’t seen him either. The four then looked to Daehyun. But Daehyun only shrugged, “I don’t even know his name.” They all turned their attention back to the youngest member. Ten looked at him accusingly. “Is your boyfriend even real?” He finally asked.

Before Jaehyun could respond, the doorbell rang.

Jaejoong was the one to answer. “Uh, Do I know you?” He asked a bit confused. The young man bowed. “Good Evening Mr. Jaejoong.” He greeted with a nervous smile.

Jaejoong’s eyes widened in realization. “Oh Taeyong!” He exclaimed in excitement.

The other boys’ ears perked at the exclamation of their friend’s name.

“You’ve grown so much. I hardly even recognized you. Come in.” Jaejoong stepped aside to let his young guest inside. “Thank you.” Taeyong laughed a little, rubbing the back of his neck. “Taeyong!” Ten exclaimed as he and the others walked to the door to greet their childhood friend. “I haven’t seen you in forever.” He hugged the elder first. “You look so different.” “You look hot.” Johnny said in shock. Jongin, Daehyun, and Kyungsoo nodded in agreement.

Taeyong laughed uneasily, taken aback by the sudden compliments. “Hey babe.” Jaehyun greeted his boyfriend with a light kiss to his lips. Taeyong couldn’t help the gentle smile that overcame his lips from the warm greeting. But the sweet moment was quickly ended when he looked at the four of his friends stare at him in shock. A dark blush brushed his cheeks.

“You two are dating?” Jongin was the one to ask.

“You didn’t know?” Taeyong asked, just as confused. He looked at Jaehyun. “I wanted it to be a surprise.” Jaehyun smiled, wrapping his arms around the elder’s. “But how? Taeyong hasn’t come back since he moved.” Ten said. “We kept in touch. We texted, talked on the phone, and skyped almost every day.” Jaehyun explained. “And then, one thing ended up leading to another.” Taeyong finished.

“It was a long-distance relationship. That’s so sweet.” Kyungsoo smiled in adoration. “But not as sweet as when I followed you to college?” Jongin asked. Kyungsoo chuckled, shaking his head. “I still don’t think that was a smart move.” He said.

“I was lucky that the school had my major. I get to study the subject I love at the same school with the person I love. I say that it was an extremely smart move.” Jongin said proud of himself. “You just happened to be lucky.” Kyungsoo poked his chest.

Ten smiled, watching the two loving couples. “Who knew that some of us would end up being more than friends?” He folded his arms, happy for them. “Welp, it looks like we’re the only single ones.” Johnny said, draping his arms over Daehyun and Ten’s shoulders.

“We should form our own club. The singles guys club. So, when the four of them go on dates, we can hang out together.” Johnny suggested, excited by his own idea. “Daehyun might not be in the club for long though, so let’ snot get our hopes up, it’ll probably end up being a duo. Someone is always asking him out.” Ten reminded.

“But he always turns them down.” Johnny added. The two of them studied at him with questioning looks. “Do you think he’s playing hard to get?” Johnny whispered. Daehyun scoffed at their conversation, talking about him as if he wasn’t right in front of them.

“I think so. Remember? He was popular with everyone at school because of that. More people wanted to date him because they thought he was hard to get or some kind of ‘bad boy.’” Ten recalled. The two snickered at the memory. “Maybe that’s why he stull turns everyone down, for the attention and so he can flirt with all the cuties.” Johnny joked. “Or maybe I just wasn’t interested in anyone.” Daehyun suggested. The younger ones only shrugged, sticking with their own more entertaining theories.

“I wonder if Youngjae is dating anyone.” Johnny said in thought. Daehyun froze at the sudden thought. “I bet he is.” Ten said confidently. “Is he?” He looked to Daehyun.

Daehyun cleared his throat. “No. He didn’t say he was.” He was sure the younger wasn’t dating anyone. He would’ve told him. Right?

“Ah. Maybe he’s keeping it a surprise, like Jaehyun did. Watch, when he gets here, he’ll surprise us and introduce us to them.” Johnny said.

Daehyun’s assurance was shot down by the idea. He wouldn’t do that though. He wouldn’t invite a stranger here without telling anyone.

“I bet he met someone while he was gone.” Ten nodded.

“Oh! I bet he-,” “Why does he have to be dating anyone?” Daehyun finally asked before they could go on. He felt a bit irritated.

“Because he’s Youngjae.” Johnny simply said. “All the little girls had a crush on him in elementary school. “I remember that.” Ten confirmed.

“They did?” Daehyun questioned, now confused.

“Yeah, but you didn’t know because all you did was pay attention to Youngjae in school.” Ten recalled. Daehyun blushed in embarrassment. “Some of the girls got annoyed, because they hardly got the chance to talk to him because you were always around.” Ten said. “Yeah. I’m pretty sure you had a crush on him back then too.” Johnny said in thought. But before he could ask, Daehyun’s phone vibrated. He looked to see that it was a text from Youngjae, saying that he was ready. He had gotten out early.

Daehyun perked up at the message. “This was a nice conversation, but I gotta go.” He slipped from Johnny’s arm. He quickly grabbed his parents’ car keys and was out the door in a matter of seconds.

The other 6 made their way to the kitchen and family room, where the older adults were gathered.

Jaehyun introduced Taeyong as his mysterious boyfriend that everyone was wondering about. Kihyun went around, playing with everyone that gave him attention. He spent most of his time playing with Johnny and Ten, whom he found to be very silly.

“Uncle Yoochun, I b

Please log in to read the full chapter