What Are You Thankful For?

The Jung Family Holiday Stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Daehyun. You need to sit down or else you’ll make the cart fall over.” Jaejoong instructed. “Sorry Appa.” Daehyun quickly sat back down in the grocery cart, allowing his father to continue to push it throughout the store. “You’re too big to sit in the cart.” Jaehyun said, walking beside them. He was not in a good mood. He hated grocery shopping. But Jaejoong forced him to go. He was not going to leave them home alone.

“No, I’m not.” Daehyun quickly argued. “Yes, you are. The cart is for babies.” Jaehyun retorted. “Nuh uh.” Daehyun argued back.

“Yuh huh.”

“Nuh uh.”

“Yuh huh.”

Jaejoong groaned internally. The last thing he needed was the two arguing in the middle of the store.

“Hey. No arguing.” He reminded them. “If Daehyun is in the cart, that’s fine. That just means he’s still a baby.” He explained, unable to hide the small smirk that upturned the corners of his lips. Daehyun’s eyes widened at this. “I’m not a baby!” He protested. “But you’re in the cart.” Jaejoong said Jaehyun began to laugh.

“N-No I’m not.” Daehyun said, quickly climbing out the cart. “See~! I’m not in the cart.”

Jaejoong couldn’t help but chuckle at this. “Okay. You’re not a baby anymore. Let’s finish shopping so we can go home.” He said, leading the way. “baby~.” Jaehyun snickered before following their father. “Yah!” Daehyun chased after him.

Their shopping went by smoothly with Jaehyun only complaining every now and then about wanting to go home, but Jaejoong knew all too well that it would end once they passed the dessert and candy section. Where the ‘can I’s,’ began.

“Appa~.” Daehyun walked up to him sweetly. “Yes Dae?” Jaejoong said, already knowing what was coming. “Can I have these cookies, please?” He asked cutely. “No, you cannot.” Jaejoong responded in the same cute tone. Daehyun frowned before walking off to put away the case of fresh baked cookies.

Not even a minute later, Jaehyun jumped in front of his father. “Can I have this chocolate bar?” he asked holding the candy out in his hands. “No~.” Jaejoong shook his head. “But it’s the season of giving, so you should give me one.” Jaehyun tried to reason. “And you should go and give that back to the shelf you took it from.” Jaejoong retorted. The 9-year-old huffed and walked away to put his candy back.

Jaejoong shook his head, amused by his sons’ different tactics, but they never worked on him. He didn’t like feeding them junk food and artificial sweets. He wanted to train them to think the same way, but Yunho always canceled out his teachings by freely feeding them sweets and junk whenever they went out. And Yunho always fell for their tactics.

 

“Jaehyun! Daehyun!” the boys heard their names being called on their way back to their father. They turned to see Ten standing by a half full cart. “what are you doing here? Are you shopping by yourself?” Jaehyun asked as they walked up to him. “No. My mom went to get something. She told me to wait here.” Ten explained, “Are you guys shopping for your projects too?”

The two nodded. “What are you doing for your project?” Jaehyun asked curiously. “Johnny and I are going to dress up as pilgrims and talk about the first thanksgiving.” Ten pouted. “It was our parents’ idea, so they’re making us dress up.”

Daehyun and Jaehyun nodded remorsefully for him.

“What about you?”

“Taeyong and I are gonna make our favorite thanksgiving desserts, pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie. Then we’re gonna talk about how we made them.” Jaehyun answered.

“Awe~ Lucky, that sounds fun.”

“Youngjae and I are gonna take a picture book and write what we’re thankful for.” Daehyun said.

“Awe~, that sounds fun too.” Ten said, feeling somewhat jealous.

Daehyun’s eyes widened when they landed on the cart behind the younger. “How did you get all those snacks?” He asked, his eyes never leaving the sweet treats piled in the cart. Jaehyun followed his line of sight, and his jaw dropped. “These?” Ten smirked. “My mom loves bargains and coupons. So, every time I find one, she gives me a treat.”

The two brothers looked at each other. They were both thinking the same thing. “Bye Ten! See you at school!” Jaehyun called as he and Daehyun ran off.

They ran throughout the store, looking for any and every bargain they could find. They searched the ground, the corners of shelves, and behind every item for coupons. They went to different shoppers and used their charm to get coupons from them.

They ran back and forth, giving their father the coupons, they collected and informing him about hidden bargains. They continued this until they were in the checkout line. Jaejoong wore a large grin on his face, ecstatic about the amount of deals he got.

“Appa, are you happy because we got you a lot of good deals?” “Yes, I am Jaehyun. Thank you for your help.” Jaejoong thanked them sincerely. “Does that mean we get a prize?” Daehyun asked hopefully. “Mm hm.” Jaejoong hummed.

“I can have my candy bar?!”

“I can get my cookies?!”

Jaehyun and Daehyun both perked up.

“Even better.” Jaejoong told them.

The two boys watched him expectantly. “You two get to have a bunch of healthy snacks this week!” He finally said, only getting disappointed groans in response. He was somewhat offended by their responses. “The snacks I make you aren’t’ bad.” He said. “Your snacks are the best Appa!” Daehyun beamed. Jaejoong smiled pridefully at the compliment. “But I want cookies.” Daehyun frowned. “And I want candy.” Jaehyun agreed.

Jaejoong shook his head. He had a long way to go on teaching them the importance and the fun in eating healthy. But at least they enjoyed the veggie and fruit snacks he made for them. After checking out, they went to the car and headed home.

 

 

“Appa!!” Jaehyun and Daehyun cheered when they saw that Yunho had returned home early from work (from his showing). Yunho knelt down and opened his arms wide to embrace his sons who ran into his arms. Jaejoong was left to bring in the groceries while the three wrestled with each other.

“Appa, what’s in that bag?” Daehyun asked, spotting the grocery bag his father left by the couch. But before Yunho could answer, the boys jumped to their feet and ran to the bag, rummaging through it. Their eyes widened in excitement. “cookies?” “Candy?” They gasped.

“No~.” Yunho quickly shut down their silent questions, taking the bag from them. “These are for me.”

“But Appa, you’ll get fat if you eat all of those.” Jaehyun told him.

Yunho was taken aback by his youngest sons’ statement.

“Yeah. Your belly is already poking out.” Daehyun said, poking his father’s stomach.

“What? No, it’s not.” Yunho argued. “But it will, if you eat all of that. And then Appa will leave you.” Jaehyun told him.

Yunho was speechless, not believing what he was hearing. “No, he won’t.”

“Yes, he will. Uncle Heechul said that Appa only married you because of your body.” Daehyun informed.

Yunho frowned, mentally cursing out his brother-in-law. “But if you guys eat this, then you’ll be fat too.” He countered. “We can be fat together!” Daehyun beamed. Jaehyun nodded in agreement. Yunho chuckled at the cute idea. “Sorry boys. I’ll get in trouble if I give these to you.” He shut them down once more.

Jaehyun pouted, “Please Appa.” He pleaded cutely.

“Appa.” Daehyun motioned for his father to come closer. Yunho raised an eyebrow but leaned down to his height. “Appa, I love you~.” He cooed.

Yunho blushed at the unexpected confession. “I love you too Appa.” Jaehyun hugged his father’s neck. “We love you Appa.” The boys cooed repeatedly, snuggling into their father. “Okay, okay.” Yunho gave in.

The boys pealed off him, smiling angelically. “But don’t tell Jaejoon

Please log in to read the full chapter