Thank You

The Jung Family Holiday Stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Youngjae! We’re here~!” Daehyun called, knocking and ringing the doorbell. It wasn’t until a minute or two before the door opened, revealing a bundled up Youngjae with his suitcase from his hand. “Come on.” He took his had and ran to his father’s car.

“Where’s your sister?” Yunho asked after greeting the two when they climbed into the back seat of his car. “She’s not coming. She’s staying at her boyfriend’s family’s house.” Youngjae simply answered, putting his seatbelt on. “She’s already gone?” Yunho questioned surprised. Youngjae nodded nonchalant. This concerned Yunho, but before he could think any more about it, Daehyun spoke up. “appa! We have to hurry and go pick up the firewood and candles or else the house will freeze!” Daehyun reminded Yunho of their mission. “Ah, you’re right. Let’s go!” Yunho hit the gas, pulling out of the driveway.

“Appa told us to go pick up firewood. Because it was super cold in the house, but I didn’t want to go, because I wanted to play with you. But Appa said that we have to go or else everyone will freeze. So, we have to hurry up and get the firewood before Jaehyun and Appa freeze.” Daehyun explained the mission to Youngjae. Youngjae’s eyes widened, “Oh no.”

Daehyun nodded in agreement. “Appa, what are the candles for? Candles don’t make you warm.” He asked. “Uh, they’re for back up…in…in case we run out of wood.” Yunho lied. Oooh~…” The boys nodded in understanding. Yunho sighed in relief, unsure as to why he slightly panicked. There’s nothing wrong about buying candles. He thought to himself, despite his motives.

 

 

Youngjae and Daehyun were the first to jump out the car when they parked. “Appa hurry.” Daehyun urged as they ran ahead into the store. Yunho quickly jogged after them.

“Oh~! This smells good!” Youngjae said as they smelled the candles in the candle area. “Appa! Get this one.” Daehyun said, pointing to the candle that Youngjae was holding. “I’m looking for a certain candle. Each candle means something different.” Yunho said matter-of-factly. “Oh~, really?” Daehyun asked in surprise.

Yunho nodded. “What does Youngjae’s candle mean?” Daehyun asked. Yunho studied the candle int the youngest member’s hand, pretending that he knew what he was doing.

“Ah~, this is a really good one Youngjae. This one means that you’ll find joy and happiness for the rest of your life.” Yunho made up. Youngjae’s face lit up. “Really?” “Yep.” Yunho smiled. A small smile grew on Youngjae’s lips as he carefully placed the candle back on the shelf. “Wow, Appa knows a lot.” Daehyun said. “Of course, I do.” Yunho said, not daring to admit that he found that out on the internet.

Yunho picked up a handful of different candles and a few bags of marshmallows before picking up the firewood. Each of them carried their own bundle of wood, hurrying to the car to escape the cold.

 

 

“Appa! Jaehyun! We’re home! Don’t freeze!” Daehyun announced as he and Youngjae ran inside the house, followed by Yunho. Jaejoong popped out the kitchen. “Hi Youngjae.” He greeted with a warm smile. “Good Morning Jaejoong. Thank you for having me over.” Youngjae returned the greeting with a sweet smile. “Not a problem. It’s my pleasure.” Jaejoong said, gently ruffling his hair. “Hi Youngjae!” Jaehyun called from the kitchen. “Hi Jaehyun!” Youngjae called back.

“Do I not get a hello?” Yunho questioned, seeing as everyone returned to what they were doing. Jaejoong turned around go meet his husband with a light kiss. “There. You’re so whiny.” Jaejoong teased. Yunho scoffed at this. “It’s like I’m taking care of three children.” He said, walking back into the kitchen. Yunho followed behind him. “But I’m your favorite child, right?” Yunho asked pulling the elder into a back hug. Jaehyun stuck his tongue out at him, hearing what he said. Yunho returned the action.

Jaejoong shook his head, “Did you get everything?” He asked. Yunho nodded, “Plus some.” He said, holding up the bag of marshmallows. Before Jaejoong could say anything, they heard Daehyun and Youngjae run back down stairs. “Now we just need to get a match.” They overheard Daehyun say, “I know where Appa keeps the matches.”

Yunho and Jaejoong’s eyes widened. “I’ll be back.” Yunho said, quickly leaving the kitchen.

Jaejoong turned to Jaehyun, “Did you finish stirring everything together?” He asked. “Yes~.” Jaehyun frowned, “Can I do something harder? I’ve been stirring all day~.” Jaejoong chuckled at this, “It’s still morning.” But Jaehyun continued to frown. “Okay, okay. Let’s see what else you can do.” He said, joining his son at the counter.

Youngjae and Daehyun watched closely as Yunho showed them how to start the fire in the fire place. “App, Can I light the match?” Daehyun asked. Yunho paused, already imagining the things that could happen if he gave the match to the 11-year-old. “Um, let’s let Youngjae do it this time.” He suggested.

“Me?” Youngjae questioned, surprised. “That’s a great idea. The fire will be super warm if Youngjae does it.” Daehyun perked up. Yunho chuckled at this. “Okay~.” Youngjae said, receiving the match.

Yunho was impressed by how easily the 10-year-old lit the match and started the fire without any trouble. “Wow! You’re good at this Youngjae. Now we won’t freeze.” Daehyun clapped.

“Oh good, you have the fire on. Yunho can you come and help me make dinner for tomorrow?” Jaejoong entered the family room. “dinner? Isn’t Heechul bringing some food for tomorrow?” Yunho questioned. Jaejoong frowned at this. “Are you actually going to bring the so-called food he brings?” he questioned. “No.” Yunho said. “Exactly.” Jaejoong proved his point.

Youngjae looked at them in confusion. “Uncle Heechul doesn’t cook. Last year he brought instant mash potatoes. I almost threw up.” Daehyun explained “Jinja?” Youngjae said in disbelief. Daehyun nodded, shivering at the memory.

“Okay~.” Yunho groaned, standing up. “It’ll go by fast, Jaehyun is helping.” Jaejoong assured him. “Are we still going to make cookies?” Daehyun asked Jaejoong. “yes. Later today. I’ll call you when we make them.” Jaejoong promised. “Yay! Let’s go play Youngjae.” Daehyun stood to his feet, running towards the stairs, followed by Youngjae.

Yunho followed Jaejoong into the kitchen where Jaehyun was already working on the task Jaejoong had given him. He wore one of Jaejoong’s Christmas aprons that fit a little too big on him. It dragged on the floor as he walked. “Here Appa.” Jaehyun handed Jaejoong one of his other aprons to wear then returned back to his work. “What about me?” Yunho asked him.

“Only chefs wear an apron. You’re our assistant, so you don’t get one.” Jaehyun said, not once looking up from his work. Yunho looked at Jaejoong to see that he was laughing. “You head the chef.” He said. “Does the assistant at least get a kiss as payment?” Yunho asked, his question directed to Jaejoong.

However, Jaehyun was the one to respond. “No. You get paid after you work, and no kissing or being gross in the kitchen.” Jaehyun spoke to them in a strict tone. “Ayiyi captain.” Yunho said, forcing himself not to laugh. “Good.” Jaehyun said, turning back to his tasks. Jaejoong and Yunho forced themselves not to laugh and began their work as well.

Daehyun and Youngjae played upstairs in Daehyun’s room. They read comic books. They also played different board games an made up their own games since Daehyun was still grounded from video games and TV. But that didn’t matter to them, they never really played or used the TV whenever they hang out together. They always had fun together, creating their own never-ending adventures.

“Hurry, or else the sharks will get you.” Daehyun pulled Youngjae onto his bed (aka, their ship). Youngjae’s eyes grew wide. “Look! There’s gigantic wave coming! It’s going to knock the boat over. What do we do?”

Daeh

Please log in to read the full chapter