Happy Fridays

You Are The One

 

 

It was inevitable.

Sehun bore his gaze outside of his window where darkness has finally consumed the sky. Releasing a shaky breathe, he pulled his eyeglasses off and rubbed his tired eyes, fighting off a yawn. At this point, he can no longer think of anything else but to get this paper over with. It has been a really long day for studying and working on a presentation for major subject semestral presentation. He rolled his shoulders, stretching his arms up in attempt to ease the tension building on his shoulders from his bad posture.

As he blankly gazed at the window, he realized it has been two long weeks since the last time he had any proper sleep or meal and was only living through strong coffees and take-out meals to survive. With everything he occupied himself with, he hasn’t seen or spent time with Soojung either which adds to his high pile of stress and fatigue. It was such a pity that he can spend time with numerous people to work and discuss with but not with her— and every single day, he can only wish and yearn for her.

His phone buzzed, pulling him out of his trance and dragged the call button to answer. Chanyeol’s face occupied his screen and he cannot help but chuckle that he wasn’t the only one who looked like death as he noticed that visible stubble on his chin, that dark circles on his eyes similar to his and how he’d now sported a mullet— a first.

“We looked like death.” Chanyeol remarked with a laugh, hyping the atmosphere between them in which he responded with a solemn nod, “But I think I looked good… even better than you.” Sehun teased.

“Oh please. Wendy appreciated my rugged look and loved me more with it.” Chanyeol grumbled, twirling his fingers into the length of his hair, earning a chuckle from his cousin. “Any progress on your work? I’m almost done.”

“Same here. I’ll just take one last scan on the report before sending it.” Sehun responded, his mug of cold Twinings tea poised before his lips, whilst his gaze was pinned on his final report. “They said they’d be releasing the order of presentation tonight. Can you text me what day will I be presenting? I have to go at eight-pm.”

“And where are you going, young man?” Chanyeol arched a disapproved eyebrow, reprimanding.“You know, instead of going somewhere, why don’t you save that energy and actually take a good rest? We can barely make it if it wasn’t for the caffeine.”

“I’ve been good for the past two weeks. This is my reward.” Sehun can only send him a playful wink before hanging up on him. Hitting send on that email, he cannot help but to sigh in deep relief as he knew his agony finally ended.

 

 

 

Sehun was ten minutes early but he could immediately spot her by the corner, standing with few of her friends near the vending machines two blocks from where he stands. They were talking animatedly and he took notice of how embarrassed she is from the crimson shade her cheeks had become and he could only pretty much guess that she was being teased. What charmed him more of her was the way how easy she can express her emotions— if she’s happy, you can see the gleam of happiness and excitement on her face. If she’s upset and sad, she’ll have this deep scowl plastered on her lips or simply just cry in annoyance. And if she’s shy and embarrassed, there goes the heat creeping up to her face and it’s just so cute… you know, it is nice to think that there are just some things that has not changed about her.

He patiently waited for them to finish as he settled on the pavilion bench near him, placing the paper bag beside his feet. He twitches with his fingers, shaking his legs as he tries to mask his gleaming excitement with a mask of looking nonchalant and focused his attention on his nails. Despite how long and how normal it looked like for him to wait for her, he cannot stop feeling like it was the first time again.

Hearing them bidding goodbye, he lifted his head and immediately met her eyes. His mouth dries and instantly been captured by her spell. He felt his heart skipped a ing beat and could feel his emotions sit on his throat— ohmygod.

Soojung froze in her stance, her eyes widening as she almost failed to realize that it was him.

“Are you just going to stand there and let flies in your mouth?” Sehun chuckled, offering a small wave at her and he wanted to pat his back for trying to sound as normal as he could despite having his emotions choking him. Her delighted squeal emerged as she ran towards him, running into his open arms. This is his reward. He is home at last. And all at once, he could feel the pressure and stress was lifted on his shoulders as he felt consoled by her presence. He just melted into her embrace, snaking his arms around her waist and buried his nose on the fluff of her golden hair. She breathes him in and he smelled nice, of warmth and comfort almost lulling her to sleep. They were just silent for a minute, basking into the warmth of each other before she pulled back to look at him with a wide smile that mirrors his. She let his arms rest on her waist, holding her firmly against him and she could feel him lace his fingers together at the middle of her back.

“You were the last thing that I expected to be waiting for me at the end of my class.” Soojung brought her hand to his cheek, her heart aching to see through the dark circles under his eyes through his eyeglasses. She smiled tenderly upon seeing him leaning into her touch like his usual habit.

“Why am I the last thing you have expected?” He murmured softly.

“Because I’m sure you wouldn’t be here. Because I know how you are when you are busy… you’d rather shut everyone out of your life because you cannot balance your work and your relationship with others. That’s just you…”

He was speechless and he didn’t know how to react to her sentiments. Noticing the shock on his face despite trying to mask it with that stoic expression of his, she lightly slaps his face playfully. “It’s fine, Sehun. I’m used to it.” She consoled, yet he could hear this pinch of hurt and disappointment on her voice. “You know, you were gone for two weeks and you have gotten thinner than the last time I have seen you.”

“I didn’t notice.” He replied, looking away.

She ran her hand over his head, slipping her fingers through the softness of his long hair and he closed his eyes as she continues to massage his scalp. “Have you been eating properly? Have you been taking rests from time to time?” She asks as she continues to play with his hair.

“Of course, I did.” He murmured a white lie.

Soojung rolled her eyes because she just cannot find herself to believe him. “I’m going to take you for dinner before we go home because we need you to gain the weight you lost. Beef stew sounds nice! And then, you’ll sleep over to our apartment tonight because that is closer to the restaurant than your dorm. Okay? Sounds like a plan, Sehun?”

He frowned, “Can’t we just go to Tim Horton’s and get some coffee? I have an early class at seven tomorrow.”

“My sister can drop you off first thing in the morning so you wouldn’t be late for your morning class. If you’re worried of your change of clothes, I have that covered because I still have some of your clothes in my closet.” Soojung reasoned, “Sehun, you really need to sleep. Being workaholic will take its toll on you and I don’t want you to collapse and hurt yourself.”

“But—“

“I said no, Sehun.” Soojung reprimanded and there is something with her firm voice that had gotten his attention and a part of him is somehow terrified at what she might do to him if he dared to disobey her.

He rolled his eyes and surrenders. “When can I win with you?”

“Never…” She chuckled. And before she hooked her arms around his and drag him for their agenda, she heard him snapped his fingers together and bent to pick up the paper bag she didn’t realize he had earlier. It was just a medium sized paper bag and she cannot help but to arch her eyebrow in curiosity as he offered it to her.

“This is for you…” He grinned shyly.

Soojung’s eyebrows furrowed together because she cannot recall if there are any celebrations that they needed to provide gifts for. She’s sure it wasn’t his birthday and she’s positive she has nothing to celebrate for the past two weeks. “I didn’t miss on anything, right? Are you playing a prank on me?”

“What? No! Sorry if you are expecting for any pranks but you know I’m not fond of that.” Sehun chuckled, “Just check it, will you?”

Soojung entangled the ribbon and peeked inside, almost dropping her jaw in shock which actually brought a satisfied smirk on his lips upon seeing the reaction he was quite expecting of her. She pulled the shoe box from the bag, pulling the lid off to see a pair of white slip-ons.

“I know your feet must be hurting now since you have been wearing those heels all day. That can help your feet rest for tonight— Love, stop looking at me like that. It’s nothing special, really.”

“Coming from the man who hates surprises, you really are full of surprises.” Soojung tiptoed, closing their distance for a moment as she pressed a soft kiss on his cheek. She was very touched at how much he cared for her and to actually think of providing her a slip-on for her weary feet. She liked the idea that he was busy yet he never fails to take care of her.

“Happy Friday.” Sehun whispered softly in her ears and she mimicked him, “Happy Friday, Sehun.” She snickered.

He smiles a little bigger, kissing her temple before he pulled back. “Here, let me help you with that.”

And he assisted her to sit on the pavilion bench he sat earlier and took the slip-ons from her hands before he crouched on the ground to tear the plastic off the box. He laid the white slip-on in front of her and took her block heels back to the paper bag. He smiled to himself seeing how perfect it fits her feet. “It looks good on you, Love... well, anything suits you anyway so there’s no surprise.”

“Thank you, Sehun.” She lowers her eyes to his level and reached forward to mess his hair. “You know, it just occurred to me…”

He hummed. “What is?”

And Sehun felt the world stopped at his feet as he gazed right at her and he felt like coming for air like he was suddenly suffocated. He doesn’t know if this was the sign. He doesn’t know if this is the right timing for what he has been waiting for.

“Nothing… Just nothing, Sehun…” Soojung smiled and it confused the hell out of him because he could feel she’d wanted to say something. He went along despite the urge of forcing her to say anything…

Soojung smiled, “Today has been a long day… let’s get your fill and go home.”

 

 

 

Looking around, Sehun can count on his fingers how many customers there is at Tim Horton’s (alas, pleading hard paid off). Of course it was late at night and people would rather have their drinks at a bar or pubs than in a quiet and aromatic place like this; as he sits on the far left wing of this shop, he could see all these young adults— and he tries to relate to them like thinking… have they also come at a point of regret in their life, or felt that lost opportunity when it presented itself or just how much heartbreak they have been through… at this moment, he could feel his head turning into a little hazy like fighting between wanting to cry or just sleep all these conflicted feelings away.

But once he felt her hand laced together with his on top of the table, filling in the empty gaps in between her fingers with his, it sometimes occurred to him that there could be something. His heart slowed, relaxing in a way that only she could do as her thumb brushed against his skin, lulling him almost to sleep— and this was enough for all thoughts to be thrown out of the window and he could only focus on her. Only her. And all these love feelings she’s brought to him.

 

 

It was quiet between them and it was anything but awkward.

“Were you thinking about me for the last two weeks?” She whispers softly, so soft that he almost missed it.

When he looked up from lying his head on the table (huh, when did he…), he has a genuine smile on his face. “You are all I’ve been able to think about, Soojung. Always.”

And in this subtlety, all Sehun could wish for was his feelings can get through to her. God, I love you. And he has been waiting for too long that he has finally come to terms that he’s tired from pretending that he wasn’t in love with her.

 

 

 

 

note: i have no words but thank you for waiting for this story. it meant a lot!
PS. happy birthday, nchuhae! this one's for youuuu~