Sweater Weather

You Are The One

 

“It’s raining again.” Chanyeol spoke in awe, settling beside Sehun and reached his hand out in the open, letting the raindrops on his hand. They were dismissed early and currently at the open hallway together with other students who were trying to save themselves from getting drenched by the rain. “I can never think of anything good in this weather. This just reminds me of all things that I don’t want to remember like how my first dog died, how my parents had a huge fight, how I got into a car accident and broke my arm and the list just goes on…”

Sehun took a step back from the pavement, looking up at the darkness in the sky. He was quiet for a long moment, letting himself drown in the rhythm of the falling rain. He closed his eyes, letting the cold breeze hit his skin and contemplated whether this inclement weather made him feel a sense of connection with his true emotions…or he was just tired of everything.

“We have to take a cab. We can’t let you get sick again especially our midterm exams are near.” Chanyeol thought out loud. He grumbled, “Who the loves this weather anyway?”

“Soojung does.”

“What?”

“She loves gloomy weather, you know. She said it makes her feel like a child again when she’s jumping on puddles, dancing in the rain and just being carefree. Or this is just perfect for cuddle weather.” Sehun whispered, focusing hard on the rainfall before his eyes. Ah, this weather caused the beautiful friendship. It’s funny to think that she wasn’t even around yet his mind is full of her. He wonders will there ever be a time when he won’t connect Soojung to everything he see or do— there would always be a piece of her in his mind despite of all things he drowns himself to think of. “And to think that you have the worst memories with this weather…. but for me, this is a highlight in my life. She came into my life like rain in the summer…and I wouldn’t even want to remember how life was like without her in it.”

And that alone felt like Chanyeol was struck with lightning. He turned to his cousin with a little surprised expression on his face at his sudden bout of affections and opened his mouth to console him when Sehun beat him to it with a small laugh.

“Sorry.” Sehun laughed dryly, clamping his hand over his mouth. “I suddenly got caught up with the weather. Don’t mind my musing...”

Chanyeol’s mouth open to but then his eyes darted down at the gingham long sleeves that was sitting at his forearm, catching all of his attention. He knew his cousin rarely gets cold easily so having two long sleeves at the same time— “I always notice you have spare jacket in your bag. Were you always that cold?”

“Oh, this? It just became habit to bring an extra one for her in case she needs it. You know how easy it is for her to get cold.” Sehun responded, as a matter of fact and he never failed to catch that playful glint in Chanyeol’s eyes. If he was going to reflect the life without her, it’ll be so different right now. He wasn’t expecting to care about other people more than he did with himself but with her, she brings out the deepest parts of him that even he doesn’t know he possesses.

“Do I want to know what else is in your bag?” Chanyeol arched an eyebrow, teasing.

“You’re not up for that kind of conversation.” Sehun chuckled, shaking his head— because there are just things in his bag pockets that belong to Soojung. She thought it’s a good idea to hide extra pads and her medicines on his bag in case she forgot to bring it.

Chanyeol drew a deep breath— he doesn’t want to poke his nose over other people’s business but he felt like he cannot take the silent suffering his cousin was having for all these years. “I know I promised that I won’t do anything about this but how long are you going to endure this pining you have over her? What if you just struck up the courage, confess and deal with whatever outcome to happen? As long as you keep it, as long as you bite your tongue to ask her, the answer will always be no.”

“Chanyeol…” Sehun warned, going wary that people may hear what they are talking about. This wasn’t the place to talk about this (or more like, the topic they need to talk about). The least he wanted was people starting that reel of rumors again about him. He gets enough as it is; he doesn’t want to add another subtopic for them to feast on.

“Have it ever crossed your mind what will happen to you if she started dating and she puts you aside because her boyfriend matters more than you?”

Sehun looked down on his hands, unable to look directly into his eyes because he doesn’t want his cousin to see how hurt he must have been. Do they think he was stupid not to think of it? He was in such pain yet continuously falling harder for that same person who causes it because he isn’t brave enough to risk everything he got for that small chance… that small light of hope that something could happen if he dared to do anything.

“She’s an amazing woman, Sehun and our family loves her too, but if she’s really not the one for you then I suggest you go and look for another muse who deserves your love. I don’t really think it’s healthy for your social life anymore… you stopped meeting new people because you focus all your attention between your academics and her. Just those two! Don’t you think it’s time to cut off the romantic link you have for her?”

Sehun looked up sharply, meeting his gaze. He wished his eyes won’t betray him: that it won’t show how afraid he is at such circumstance happening. He fears that if he dared to admit he loves her more than a friend does, he will lose any excuse to stay by her side. So he deals with these emotions in the best way he can and putting it behind him. He sighed, running his hand over his hair, “I don’t know what it is with her that draws me to her— maybe because she’s very true to herself; maybe because when she speaks, nothing else matters. Maybe because she gets me and she understands that this is me and she doesn’t have the need to change me to the way she perceives me. I really tried… I tried so hard but I can’t see myself loving someone else because every time I meet someone, I’d always find myself looking for pieces of her in them and that’s unfair. Look, I don’t have any experience in romance but I think love is everything I experience with her. I can’t just break that strong hold she has in my heart no matter how much I wanted to… just to let me be free, just to let me breathe. I’m not as strong and brave you all assume I am because the thing I fear the most is losing her in my life because of my stupidity. She’s very important to me, Chanyeol and I don’t think I’d ever want to lose her in my life just because I made things awkward between us. Let me endure this pain, then.”

“You don’t get me… I know it’s normal to be terrified of something that we aren’t sure of but when it comes to love, you should let yourself go and permit yourself to love! You love her, tell her you do! You love her, let her know how much! Don’t let these fears take over and stop you to actually getting the chance of letting her know how you feel.” Chanyeol persuades. He knows Sehun knows her better than anyone else, maybe even better than she knows herself. He’s sure that he knows how she’s like when she likes someone. “For years that you two have been together, what if at one point she likes you too? What if you tell her and it works?”

Sehun narrowed his eyes at him, “But what if it won’t work?”

Sehun knew he will never be the same if that ever happens. Truth is, he doesn’t give anyone the ability to ruin him but Soojung will always be the exception— she can destroy him as much as she wanted because he’d give her everything she’d ever ask for. If that is his heart ache, then people should just let him suffer from it.

“You’ll never know if you won’t ask! You know, waiting is a mistake. The thing about time, we cannot just get it back. What if all this time you’re wasting, she found someone who’s brave to admit that he likes her? What will you do?” Chanyeol challenged.

“I’ll just go through with it if it happens….” Sehun heaved a deep breath, releasing his breath shakily. “…because that’s the thing, Chanyeol. When you love someone, it’s okay if you were left with nothing as long as they are happy.”

And as if on cue, Chanyeol watched Sehun go frantic as he fiddles with his bag to answer the call. From the way his tensed shoulders slacked in a comfortable manner and that obvious cheeky smile on his lips, he can prettily guess right away who the caller is. Knowing how he was since they are children, it would always his past time favourite seeing this side of him that Soojung can only unbridle. The thing is, Soojung may not be aware of it but she has a huge influence on Sehun and Chanyeol is glad that he was surrounded with people that can bring out the best in him. There are really so much more about Sehun aside from their family, his high marks and perfect features.

“Hey…. Yes, I’m still here… Okay. I’ll wait for you.”” Sehun turned to Chanyeol, excitement b on his eyes— as if they were not talking about anything depressing earlier. All of that jumped out of the window. “She said she’d come and get me. You can go home alone, right?”

“Of course, what do you take me for?” Chanyeol rolled his eyes, “From the start, I knew you’d end up going home with her. You know what… I’ll just wait a couple of some time to actually say it on your face ‘I told you so’ but until then, I’ll support whatever stupid logic you have because I love you.”

And Sehun chuckled to himself, lips curled into a small grin. “I love you too.”

 

 

“Hey, Sehun! Hey, guys!”

Both of them looked over their shoulder to look who called them and was slightly surprised to see Miyeon, who then offered her bright smile and cheerful wave as she heads to their direction. He stared at her for a moment before he turned to watch the rainfall, completely unbothered. Who wouldn’t know Miyeon? She’s considered a beauty in their campus, always the representative of Pharmacy Department and believe me, almost all men flocks and worships the path she usually takes. Sehun cannot deny that he really finds her attractive— with her femininity, her elegance and those classic cuts for expensive couture— the usual elements of those elite daughters. But, a woman like her isn’t really his cup of tea.

Chanyeol had wanted to laugh from the way how her beautiful smile vanished into thin air with the way how Sehun acted. It doesn’t need him any seconds to figure out she likes Sehun and to be honest, he feels pity for her because he’s sure no matter how beautiful she is and how much she exerts efforts for him, Sehun only has his eyes for someone.

“Hey, Miyeon.” Chanyeol greeted, “It’s a surprise you’re still here. Are you waiting for your ride?”

“No, I brought my car today. Actually, I’m on my way out to eat and it just so happen that I saw you two!” Miyeon responded, turning her attention fully at Sehun with that blush creeping up on her cheeks, “Sehun, would you like some coffee? I think it’s good to have some hot coffee with this kind of cold weather, huh?”

Chanyeol cannot help but to tilt the corner of his lips coyly at the overt gesture of this woman. Oh, how he wished Sehun could be this brave with Soojung.

Sehun quirked his eyebrow at the sudden invitation— probably at the idea that he doesn’t even know her more so, he cannot recall any conversation they had. “I appreciate the offer but I have plans.” He refused— and it’s true anyway, the only thing he got going on today is being with Soojung.

“What about me? Aren’t you going to invite me too?” Chanyeol pointed at himself, curious and such gesture earned a snicker from the latter. “Oh, wait… Miyeon, I think instead of a coffee offer, why don’t you two just eat at that noodle house outside the campus? It’s perfect for the cold weather, don’t you think?”

“I heard that noodle house is usually jam-packed. I bet it’s full today especially with this weather.” Miyeon pouted, her red plump lips are such a distraction to men.

Chanyeol waved his hand dismissively, “Don’t worry! My cousin is a patron in that place so I really think you two won’t have a hard time looking for a table.”

Oh, look what we have here…

Slightly betrayed, Sehun gave his cousin a pointed look, suddenly feeling uncomfortable at what Chanyeol is playing. He doesn’t understand what his cousin has in mind and he’s sure as hell he doesn’t want where this conversation is going.

Miyeon’s eyes sparkled in delight, beaming at him brightly.  Oh, boy… “Well, that’s only if Sehun wants—“

And all of a sudden, a strong cold breeze blew in their direction causing for Miyeon to shiver from the cold. She crossed her arms around her chest, biting her lower lip to fight off the cold and he clearly saw Chanyeol flashing him a taunting smirk… and he cannot believe how much effort he’s currently doing not to smack his head.

“Sehun, don’t you have any manners at all? Can’t you see the lady is getting cold?” Chanyeol taunts him with a smug smirk— a look he doesn’t really trust. Sehun gripped the long sleeve on his arm, trying to inch his arm back as if to hide the jacket from her because, truly this jacket already belongs to someone! He reserved this for Soojung knowing how cold she must have been today. It was tempting to wipe that smirk off his lips with a smack in the head, really!

Sehun wasn’t a terrible person, so to speak and it tugs his heart to see how Miyeon looks at him expectantly, silently wishing for his jacket. Despite the strong urge of not wanting to lend it, he finds himself putting the jacket over her shoulders to protect her from the cold breeze. Maybe if she just wore thicker and longer clothing, he wouldn’t have to sacrifice his jacket.

“Is it really okay, Sehun?” Miyeon’s face turned into a crimson shade at his gesture, pulling the sleeves closer to her. Sehun nodded, “No problem… Maybe next time you should refrain from wearing short sleeves in this kind of weather so you wouldn’t be cold.”

Chanyeol cannot help but to chuckle, “Aw, have anyone told you how you look good together.” He sang, earning a redder shade to Miyeon’s face.

“Chanyeol…” Sehun warned— Enough.

“Sehun!” Soojung called from the distance, holding out a large, red umbrella that fits the two of them and recalling the prior conversation they had, he could see the spring in her step as she walks in the midst of the hard rain. Turning his head to Sehun, his eyes widen as the latter sprinted over the rain, his bag on his head to shield him from the raindrop.

“Sehun! You might get sick again!” Chanyeol shouted; Miyeon froze, eyes wide in surprise.

“Sehun, no!” Soojung shrieked and hurriedly ran to him to meet him halfway to shield him from the rain. She stomped her foot at the puddle, angling the umbrella at his direction. She argued, “Are you ing out of your mind?! I said I’d come and get you!”

“I’m not wet!” Sehun laughed, loud and carefree, as he reached for the handle from her hand and tilt it a little higher to adjust with his height, and angling it closer to her to protect her from the rain. He gives his full attention at her, never leaving her face as she scrunched her nose annoyingly at him.

“You’re an idiot…” Soojung shook her head, as if giving up on her attempts to get mad at him as she brushed a few droplets of the rain over his shoulder. “You should take care of yourself, Sehun. If you get sick again, I’ll charge you for my topnotch caregiving skills!”

“I wouldn’t mind, though…” Sehun smirked. “Might as well wear some Nursing suit to add—“

Soojung clamped her hand over his mouth, scowling at him, “Don’t be a ert! Jongin must have wiped that idiotic trait to you!”

Sehun chuckled, pulling her hand away from his mouth, “There’s nothing erted to what I said!”

“I swear to god…” Soojung rolled her eyes at him, “Before I forgot, I heard from Chanyeol that you were very busy all day? Did you have a surprise exam? How are you?”

“Ah, it’s nothing I cannot manage… our professors just decided to drop deadlines near from each other. There wouldn’t be no room for procrastination for next week despite the exam terms. How about you? Tell me how your day went.” Sehun asks, his voice full of sincerity and affection, and slinging his arm around her shoulder in an attempt to warm her up.

“I’ll tell you but treat me something good first.” She winked.

“Of course, whatever the queen wants...” Sehun wiggled his eyebrows playfully earning a chuckle from her and a light slap on his chest, “Should we order Jajangmyeon at your apartment, then?”

“I’d love to!” Soojung smiled brightly, her eyes turning into crescents as she turns the favor and snuggled closer to him as she wrapped her arm around his torso and leaning her head on his shoulder. Such gesture makes him feel thousands of different emotions—and tightens his hold on her. “Are you cold? I’m sorry I don’t have my jacket with me.”

“It’s fine, you’re warm…” Soojung shook her head, “We should watch a movie too. My sister will be so delighted to see you there. She said she hasn’t seen you for a while.”

All the while, Chanyeol cannot wipe that proud grin on his lips as he watched his cousin and Soojung under the rain. , he just hopes everyone can never forget just how perfect they look together. Despite his cousin’s passive, heartless and cold exterior, he actually has a heart and it belongs and sits at Soojung’s hands.

“Are the news about them true? Are they really together?” Miyeon asks, her voice breaking a little. “I don’t really mind if it’s true though, I just want to know…”

“I don’t have any right to disclose anything because that’s their story to tell.” Chanyeol shrugged, “But let’s put it this way… they are very inseparable. Sehun will do everything to protect Soojung at all cost. Soojung is more than what you think she is in his life.”