Marlboro Nights

You Are The One

 

“Sehun, you need to eat.”

Soojung blew a raspberry, rolling her eyes dramatically as she slapped her hand on the journal Sehun has been reading ever since they had arrived from their favorite Tim Horton’s. She tries her best to pull him out of his room for a breather and take him for a short break before he indulged himself for long study hours and doing so, he’d forget to eat. “It won’t hurt to eat. Come on…”

Sehun sighed, lifting his head to meet her eyes. “A few more pages left, Jung. I’ll just—"

She shook her head, pushing his untouched rustic BLT sandwich and second glass of Iced Macchiato towards him and nodded at it. She knew how workaholic he gets to be and supports him fully, but she hates it when he doesn’t take care of himself which is why she makes it her mission to take care of him in his behalf. “You have told me that same thing forty minutes ago. Aren’t you going to eat? Your sandwich is getting cold”

“Fine.” Sehun meekly murmured, dropping his highlighter, and closing the cap of his ballpen. She grinned in satisfaction, taking his stuff to his side so he could focus on his food which he can only roll his eyes as response before taking a huge bite on his sandwich. “I wish you change your eating habits, Sehun. It’s not good for you to skip meals and eat lots of processed food. Haven’t you learned that in med school? I don’t want to hear some news that you are sick with ulcer or… or… get sick and collapsed on the hallway because you don’t know how to take care of yourself.”

“That’s absurd. It won’t happen.” Sehun brushed it off in denial; instead of placing the spotlight on him, he grinned at her, offering her a bite from his sandwich. “It’s good. Have a bite.” He offered.

“And don’t act like I don’t notice you’re trying to get yourself out in this conversation, Oh Sehun.” Soojung stared at him intently, “Your negligence has consequences. I’m always worried as hell for you for being so careless. What will happen to you if I’m not around to take care of you?”

“I won’t get sick because you’re here to take care of me.” Sehun smiled teasingly, eyes twinkled in delight as he tries to ignore that strong wave of affection toppling over him like a dashing wave. Soojung made face, affirming his remark as she held on to his wrist and take a bite on his sandwich. He winked at her, reaching forward to wipe the breadcrumbs on the side of . “It’s good, isn’t it? You like more?”

Soojung chuckled, shaking her head as she accusingly pointed her finger at him. “I know what you’re doing, Sehun. You need to finish that.”

Sehun chuckled along, shaking his head as he leaned against the back of his chair. “I’m just sharing my food, Love. Anyway, are you doing anything after we eat? I think I have thirty minutes to spare.”

Soojung stared at him, “You forgot it, didn’t you?” and his confused gaze is enough response for her. She rolled her eyes, “We planned to attend Jongin’s party tonight, remember? I don’t know the occasion this time, but I think he just have a kink for getting everyone drunk dead. You promised you’d pick me up from my acting class later and go there with me.”

Sehun squinted his eyes, tilting his head to the side to try and remember any details that he did plan it with her. From all the readings and assessments he worked on for the last two weeks, such plan must have been placed at the back of his head. In fact, he wasn’t even a fan of parties as it was too loud and crowded for his liking and his main reason to attend was due to Soojung. He bit his lower lip, rubbing his temple.

“I can’t tonight. Haven’t I told you?”

“You didn’t.”

“Are you sure? I think I sent you a message about it.” And he scrolled on his messages and was greeted by many unread messages from his cousins and parents and on the top of his list was his draft message for her. He clucked his tongue, “I wasn’t able to send it.”

Soojung gaped at him, “I told them you’re going with me. What are your plans tonight? Maybe you can take a break for a while and unwind for a bit. We can leave after two hours if you want to! Treat it like a cheat day, Sehun.”

“I really can’t reschedule my plans today. I have to work on a paper with my lab partner.” He sighed, “Unfortunately, this is the only time she’d be free because she’s working part time—“

He didn’t think he had said anything that could almost instantly make the mood around them changed — it was like he had stepped into a landmine— and he watched her gaze immediately zoned at him sharply. He can explain that twinge of excitement and anticipation in his chest brought by that shift of expression from her face as that tiny voice at the back of his mind cheers for him that this could lead to something: jealousy? possession? Either of the two brings flutters to his gut and he fought hard to control that smile impending to curl in his lips. And to be honest, he never expected to be more attracted to her when she’s acting like this.

“She?” She raised an eyebrow in question. “Kyungmi?”

She heard about his lab partner all thanks to Jongin’s endless banters and teasing of how close the two had been lately and how they’d occasionally hangout after class when in fact, they were working on their experiments and assessments together as lab partners. Sure, they’d spend some time together and had coffee runs together, too but that’s just it.

Sehun cleared his throat, nodding meekly. “Yes, the one I told you about… that girl you called cute before? Hey, did you know she’d gotten a tattoo on her bicep recently?”

She arched her eyebrow, “And how did you know about this?”

“She asked me for a design and showed me how it went out.” He said as a matter of fact.

She snorted, “Really? You are that close with her that you actually helped her get a design for a tattoo?”

“Unfortunately, Soojung… I am capable of creating friends.” He joked. “Anyway, we decided we’d be working all night in the nearest coffee shop for—”

“Coffee shop? But you hate working there because you said it distracts you.”

“But what choice do we have? I can’t have her stay in my dorm because you know how strict my landlord is for female visitors. And besides, I think it’s better if we stay there so I can easily pick you up after the party with the guys. You can just text me the address.”

“Does she have a boyfriend?”

Sehun scratched his forehead, thinking in the depth of his brain if she had mentioned anything about her love life, “I don’t think so? I think she’s single and particularly interested in dating. If you know anyone, you can—“

“What if I just stay with you guys and help you out? The more heads work on your assessment, the faster the time it can be finished. In that way, you can immediately have your break.” Soojung attempted to make a deal out of her desperation for him to join her for tonight’s party. She may not be that smart compared to the two but she’s a fast learner and types fast. She can easily encode their results and she may learn a few things or two on this hard subject she doesn’t think she needed in life.

Sehun chuckled, “And what help will you give us? Treat us with endless coffee? No offense, but I know you hate Molecular Biology because of how hard it is. And my books don’t have pictures in it, so it won’t be fun for you to read.”

Soojung’s eyes widen, straightening up in defense. “Hey, I’m perfectly capable of reading textbooks without getting sleepy!” She snapped at him.

He arched an eyebrow as if challenging her. “But I certainly remember this one time…”

Soojung frowned, slapping his bicep in which caused for him to laugh at the silly memory. “That was one time, Sehun. Why can’t you just forget that? I was tired and I— what the heck, are you going to remind me that until we get old?”

Sehun affirmed, liking the sound of it. “Yes… until we get old.”

Soojung sighed, stirring her drink with her twirly straw. She knew this is dead end knowing how serious Sehun is with his academics. She pouted, reaching forward to intertwine their fingers together and playing with his thumb. And Sehun can only gaze on their laced hands together and he felt like she really fits him better than his favorite sweater.

“Are you really sure you can’t be persuaded to come with us tonight? It would be more fun with you around.”

“Sorry, Love…” Sehun shook his head and brought their joint hands on his lips, pressing a soft kiss on her skin. “I really can’t but I promise to pick you up tonight. I’m just one call away, okay?”

 

 

 

>>

“Oh! Oh Soojung, you’re here!”

Soojung almost spilled from pouring herself a cup of cola from the scandalous greeting; her focus snapped to the person who stumbled into the kitchen, her back hitting the door as she almost lost her balance before she slumped on the counter near the sink. Soojung can only shake her head, seeing just how drunk Seulgi was right now— she bet she cannot keep her balance right, she was sweaty from the heat of alcohol and her hair is all over her head. She must have had her limit depicted from how red her cheeks are right now; almost like the shade of red of the cup she’s holding right now.

“How much had you had now, Seulgi?” Soojung asked as she poured her friend a cup of cold water.

“Just enough. I’m still not drunk.” Seulgi mumbled, picking on her heels, and scoffed, “I stumbled because these babies aren’t holding right on the floor. Can you imagine how much I had wasted for these killers?”

She nodded, “I was there when you fought badly with that woman for that pair. I wish I can forget that.” She chuckled.

Seulgi smirked smugly because she knew how much she had won that day. “What are you doing here, girl? You’re alone! Why aren’t you drinking outside?”

“I’ve already had my fill earlier. I can’t go home wasted.” Soojung said, tipping the cola on and smiled at her, “It’s not a good idea to come home drunk.”

“But you have Sehun to pick you up later.” She arched an eyebrow, “Right? Is he going to party with us?”

“I don’t know… he wasn’t answering my calls.” Soojung waved her hand dismissively, “Maybe I’ll just grab a taxi later.”

Seulgi clucked her tongue, hissing in thought that Sehun couldn’t drop by for his cousin’s party and now he cannot even have the decency to pick his best friend up. She slammed her cup on the counter, startling Soojung for a moment before she narrowed her eyes at her. “That can’t do, Soojung. At least ask Chanyeol to drive you home, okay? We don’t need Prince Sehun to go berserk because we allowed you to go home this late and all alone. There will be bloodshed here and it’s going to be filthy.”

She bristled, “You’re absurd. I know Sehun can be so overreacting, but I’ll be fine by myself.”

“But we need to be careful, Jung.” Seulgi said in finality; It’s either Jongin or Chanyeol can drive her home, end of story. She jumped from the counter; a huge grin plastered on her lips as she scooted closer to her. She was so close that Soojung can almost get intoxicated on the smell of alcohol on her breath. “Anyway, can I ask you something? You can totally refuse me if you want to… you can just say no.”

Soojung leaned away, smiling back at her. She knew someone as drunk as Seulgi can only come up with a stupid question that anyone can come up with an answer. “What is this about? Should I be worried?”

“Actually… this just came in mind, and I was really going to tell you last week, but I forgot… anyway, will it be okay if I set Sehun on a date? Her name is Lee Kyungmi. She’s my pretty friend that really thinks your best friend is a real catch and really her ideal guy. Since he’s single… and does not fancy anyone… I thought— “

“Who’s this friend again? Do I know her?” Soojung quipped. “He has a lab partner named Kyungmi though…”

Seulgi hummed, “Really? I know we all met her at one of Jongin’s party last year. I even hear her name in one of my conversations with Chanyeol and Sehun... And I think he fancy her a little? She is very pretty, and she smells so nice and very kind. I also think they were in the same department. Do you recall?”

Soojung folded her arms across her chest, narrowing her eyes at her. “I don’t. Maybe I was wasted?”

And Seulgi can’t help but laugh, “And that’s like every single Jongin party you attended. So, Kyungmi asked me if I can set her up with him on one date. And I was thinking of asking you— “

Soojung quirked her eyebrow at her absurd question; first, it wasn’t her business to deal with this blind date. Second, Sehun hates people who try to intrude his personal affairs with all these silly invitations. “I don’t think I have a say to that matter, Seulgi. Shouldn’t you be asking Sehun instead?”

“Aren’t you going to stop me?” Seulgi challenged— she suddenly felt deafened by the overwhelming pressure raised in the air between them. It was a challenge, and her pointed look says it all. “Are you just going to let Sehun go with another woman that isn’t you? Are you sure you’d let that happen? Sweetheart, we are not blind to see that you fancy each other. I wish you can see yourself when he’s there… the way you smile was like you’re about to fall in love with him. Don’t you think you feel safe and at home when you’re with him?”

Soojung blinked and Seulgi doesn’t need to point it out, but she could see how hard she is gripping on the counter right now. Her fists are white and she’s sure it aches. Soojung looked away as she tried to meet her gaze, she breathed. “I still don’t think it is right for you to ask me that.”

“You swear? Because to be honest, I already asked him, and he said yes.” Seulgi said, taking hold of the doorknob and swung the door open to escape after this little chaos she’s stirring. “And it’s cute that he’ll be bringing her to the Zoo for their first date.” She giggled drunkenly.

Wow. It is kind of ironic how our hearts can still get hurt by something we have seen coming.

 

 

 

>>

A mere three hours of working together, Sehun swears two hours of it was consumed by worrying about Soojung— has she eaten first before she drinks alcohol? Is Chanyeol keeping an eye on her on the dance floor when she dances? Is Jongin trying to persuade her to drink hard liquors again for a chance? He better not serve that strong mix to her again. The last time he did, she suffered so hard it was such a pity to watch her stay in the bathroom for hours and curse the hangover the next day. And worst part of the night might be Seulgi’s attempt to play cupid and introduce her to some petty guy. He doesn’t understand how she could do that even upon the knowledge of him liking Soojung. He just hopes she stops doing that. And knowing full well that he won’t have any other way to focus on his paper, he called it quits and apologized to reschedule it some other time.

And just in time as Sehun arrived at the entrance, a loud heave echoed through the side of the parkway. It was his gut saying he needed to check who it may be, and he was right. He saw her hunched over on the corner, vomiting loudly on the ground— this is the very scenario he was expecting for tonight. She’s thrashed and he can already feel sorry for the terrible hangover she’d cater tomorrow morning.

“How long have you been here?” Sehun said as he walked over, pulling his handkerchief out of his back pocket and offers it to her. She immediately whipped her head to his direction, her hair flying directly to his face almost blinding him in sight. She shook her head, drunken blush spreads across her cheeks.

“Stay away.”

“It’s me, Sehun.” Sehun muttered, in awe. How drunk did she get herself to that she wasn’t able to recognize him. Before she could speak again, she hurled again into another fit of that awful vomit and he immediately grabbed her hair together to the side to keep it out of the way as she continues to hurl the mixes and few snacks she had for tonight. She rested her hand against the wall for support and another on her acidic stomach as she continuously calls for the crows. He isn’t fond of letting her party alone because she gets over her head and takes all offered drinks regardless her low alcoholic tolerance. As weak and drunk as she is now, this increases the risk of her safety. He wants her to enjoy her life but with the way she won’t get hurt.

“Are you feeling better now? Can you recognize me?” Sehun asked, bending a little to look at her face but not before handing her his handkerchief to wipe . “I hope this night serves as a lesson for you, Jung. Was it hard for you to say no?”

Soojung leaned against the wall, allowing Sehun to keep her from the puddle she created. She heaved a deep sigh, lifting her head as much as she can before she stared hardly at the man in front of her. She reached for him, and he immediately caged her on his arms as she grinned sheepishly, cupping the side of his cheek and brushed his skin with her thumb. Such response can only cause for Sehun to roll his eyes, “I am Sehun, Soojung. Your best friend… I’m not just a random guy who’d hit on you.”

“Have I told you how handsome you are?” She giggled, poking his cheek. Her breath hits his cheek, stinking of the putrid acid and alcohol and he hated it. He groaned in repulse, “And you’re very drunk.”

Soojung puckered her lips, giggling softly. “I am… but even if I am sober, I still think you’re handsome.”

“Charming.” Sehun snorted, a smile lingered on his lips in satisfaction. “What else do you think of me, then?” He teased.

“That you’re the most attractive man I have ever met. I don’t think anyone can be compared to you— you are y. Very y with that intelligent mind of yours. You are so tall. You are so beautiful and perfect sometimes it makes my heart hurt. And your veins… your ing veins… my god.” A quivering sigh escaped as her lips turned into a firm line. The bitterness of the liquor she had earlier reminds her of the awful fact that she learned tonight. She doesn’t understand this awful and dark cloud filling her chest and she just wanted to breathe. She held on to her throbbing head, leaning the full length of herself to his body and settled her head to the space between his neck and shoulder.

“I don’t want it to be over, you know… but I’m scared that I don’t know what to do or… or… to feel because I feel like I have no right to be against that.” Her voice cracked, and he could feel her hand reaching out for his and takes it. “And is it okay to say that I ing hate every single thing of it?”

“What happened? What did you hear?”

Soojung shook her head, “Maybe I was just selfish… but I love it when you pay attention to me. I love it so much when you take care of me. I like it when you stay up late with me even if you don’t want to but because you care so much, you do everything for me. I just cannot take myself not to think of you and talk about you and… and… not many people can take my breath away, but you don’t even have to do anything… you don’t even have to try… I’m giving you permission to destroy me.”

He gaped, like a fish that was taken out of the water; he was lost and out of words like he had suddenly forgot what language he was supposed to be speaking. Every single word that has escaped was like music to his ears and it was like every single dream he was having for the past eleven years— to hear those words of affection from her. It dissolved the doubts he had the moment he had her in his arms right now and hearing those from her. Tonight, sparked the unwavering hope he had for her.

“I think this is enough partying for you tonight, Love. You are so drunk, and you are never like this before. I’ll take you home, okay?” Sehun whispered to her ears. Now, that he knew a glimpse of what she feels, it is better to talk about it once she is on her right mind and senses. He doesn’t want to risk it knowing that she may not remember it when she wakes up tomorrow.

“You smell different.” She murmured against his skin, and he could feel her hand gripping into his t-shirt. His eyebrows furrowed, tilting his head as much as he can to look at her. “What is it? Do you want to throw up again?”

“You smell ing different.” Soojung repeated and it crossed her mind that he never changes his perfume into a sweet scent. Did he hug her? Was that how her scent shifted on his shirt?

“What? Can you speak louder?”

Soojung pulled away from his in an arm’s length, glaring at him menacingly. “You smell different, Sehun.”

He arched an eyebrow, “Define different.”

His breath caught in his throat as he felt her hands hold his arms firmly as if her life depended on it. He could feel her nails dugged heavily onto his skin, almost making him wince at the contact and later did he know, he was pinned against the wall. He felt enchanted into staring into her deep eyes, unwilling himself to just look at her endearing eyes because her lips are just mere inches away from her. How long had it been that he wanted to taste those lips, even feeling the softness of it against his. He closed his eyes tightly, his heart pounded hard against his chest that it almost deafens him at how loud it gets, unabling him to breathe as she moved closer against him, sniffing into the side of neck, her nose bumps into his skin causing shivers down his spine.

“I want to be the only one, Sehun.”

“You are. You are the one for me, Soojung. And I am yours if you are just willing to take me.” He affirmed.

“Kiss me.” She ordered. “Kiss me, Sehun.”

“No, Soojung. Not like this.” He cursed under his breath. “Soojung, you’re very drunk.”

Sehun willed himself to speak because as much as he knew that they could stand close next to each other but this one’s into a different level. He drew in a sharp breath, “I’m taking you home, okay? I’ll text them you’re with me.”

 

 

 

“You should have just taken me home.” She slurred, groaning as she stumbled through the staircase. Sehun scoffed, “And let your sister know how drunk you are? Spare me from her anger, Jung.”

Soojung stumbled on her way through his apartment with all her drunken glory, pulling away and trying her best to distance herself from Sehun who was just trying to help her. He was suffering too as much as she is at how stubborn she can get.

“I can do this.” She convinced herself as she directs to the couch, but Sehun immediately willed her to the direction of his room, putting his arm around her waist to aid her from walking straight.

“My bedroom.” Sehun reminded, “You won’t be able to take a good rest there.”

“Why do you care! Let me be!” She screamed and Sehun gaped, putting his finger to his lips as he shook his head. “Please don’t shout. Everyone is sleeping already.” As she rolled her eyes, she covered half of her face with and his eyes widen, “Are you going to vomit? Do you want to go?”

She heaved a deep breath, shaking her hands. “I can do this.”

“Tell me if you want to vomit, okay? No vomiting on my room, Jung. You understand?”

Soojung can only snort in response.

Sehun let her lean against him as they struggled to enter his bedroom due to her reluctance. He sighed in relief as she lay sprawled on his bed. He stood near her, taking her shoes off swiftly from her feet before he reached to the jacket he let her wear to fight off the cold breeze of the night. Soojung groaned as he pulled it off her, tossing it on the back of his computer chair.

“Do you want me to change your shirt for you?”

“Get away from me.” She whined, curling into a fetal position to protect herself from him, “I’d remember this, Sehun. I wouldn’t ask for you for anything again.”

He rolled his eyes, “Soojung, that’s not—”

“You wouldn’t even want to kiss me.” She cried. “Was it because of Kyungmi? Seulgi said you fancy her and you’re going to take her on a date. On a ing Zoo! You haven’t even taken me there! Do you know how much I’d wanted to see a real elephant? What about me, Sehun? What about me?”

“Kyungmi is just my lab partner. And whatever crap Seulgi told you are all lies.” Sehun sighed, sitting on the space beside her. He attempted to brush the stray hair from her face, but she slapped his hand away. “Love, once you are sober, let’s talk. I think it’s the right time to admit everything. I am so tired pretending.”

“If Kyungmi is nothing, then why can’t you kiss me?”

“If you… if you decided you’d still want to kiss me when you wake up from this drunken stupor… I’m just right out of this door.”