You Had Me at Beer

You Are The One

 

Sehun read an article once that says that fifty percent of people fall in love with their best friends. He’d lost count of the number of people who had never failed to mistake them as a couple and would even dare to ask why they weren’t an item yet when they both look so good together. He could agree with what everyone is saying about them (including his family) but then they’d all be wrong altogether. At this rate of their relationship, they have been friends for years now and he considers her as one of the most important person in his life.

He knows too well that if one thing isn’t in the right equation, he’d lose one thing he isn’t ready to give.

“Ah, !” Sehun shivered in shock, abruptly rising from his good lay on his couch when he felt cold sensation playing with the hair at the back of his neck. He touched his neck as his head abruptly swung on his right…and finds beautiful eyes looking at him, sparkle in amusement. “What are you doing? Why are you here?”

“I like that you didn’t know I’m here.” Soojung’s lips tugged into an amused smirk, pointing at the door way— her body is half-lying on the couch he was in earlier with her seating at the arm rest. She rests her head on her elbow plopped on the back rest with her jet-black cascading like black silk, “Your maid let me in, by the way. I hope you don’t mind my things are in your room. I went here straight from the airport so I don’t have time to drop my things at my house.”

“Why didn’t you tell me you’ll be home early? I could have driven you home. Did you tell them you’re here?”

“Of course, they do. And I wanted to surprise you so I told them not to tell you.” Soojung playfully winks, “Come on, aren’t you going to give me a hug? I’ve been away for a month.”

“You wish.” Sehun cannot help but roll his eyes, as dramatic as he can, which earned a scoff from her, “My life has never been this peaceful the time that you were gone.” He teased, slouching back on the couch as he rests his feet back on the coffee table and have his back lean against the backrest. Suddenly, the soccer rerun wasn’t that interesting anymore as his entirety focused on her.

“Wow! Okay, . I’m leaving.” Soojung slapped his chest, flipping her hair over her other shoulder as she attempted to leave. One thing about Soojung is she’s just as dramatic as his mother and it’s just as annoying as hell that he’d always be on his feet to console them and comply on all wishes they’d come up with. He sighed under his breath, sliding his phone back on his pocket as he followed behind her to their foyer.

“You know I did not mean anything of what I’ve said.” Sehun mumbled as he watched her crouched down on the floor as she puts on her sneakers. “I’m happy you’re here and I don’t really mind if you’ll be living here for the next month.”

Soojung swung her head at his direction— and it somehow felt like he’d been punched in the gut. She looks so young and vulnerable, annoyance radiates from her face and the way her eyebrows are furrowed together meant no good. “I was offended, Sehun. I took the earliest flight to come back for you and hearing those words for you the moment I’m here…” She snorts, “I didn’t know that this is just one-sided.”

Sehun’s voice is soft and careful as he speaks, “It was a joke. Of course, I’ve missed you. It was terrible without you here.” He declared.

Soojung snapped, “That joke was offensive!”

“I’m sorry…” Sehun pulls her in against his chest in which she tries to get away from but he only tightened his arms around her. He closed his eyes, he wanted to remember this because for the thirty days that she was thousand miles away is pure torture that he’d rather not want to reminisce again; having her close and in his embrace will always be the moment that makes him truly alive and moments without her, he’s sure that little piece of him will somehow die.

“Chatting you and calling you… even seeing you in skype is not enough.” He whispered softly in her ears.

“I hate you, you know that.” Soojung smacked him on his back as she melted down on his embrace, closing her eyes as she felt him peck the crown of her head. The thing about Sehun is, he’d usually act opposite of what he’s really feeling and surely would as much as possible. “Ah, I’m finally home….”

Sehun’s chest vibrates against her as he elicits chuckles, “Let’s get you to my room so you can freshen up. I told you we’ll be having family dinner tonight, right? Thank god you’re here or I’ll never hear the end of it.”

 

 

“You’re quiet. You okay?” Soojung arched an eyebrow, hand rested on her hip with her other hand holding a hanger for her dress. She’d grace herself into his bedroom like it was hers and he actually bought a bigger closet enough for the both of their clothes (or mainly hers). It was actually kind of funny that nobody in his household dared to ask the reason behind his sudden request and he’d rather have it that way because he doesn’t want to embarrass himself further. Until now, his parents don’t know her existence in the house yet probably because everybody is busy with their own duties for the family dinner.

“Yes, um… I’m actually sleepy. I was studying for my upcoming lab test and just had four hours of sleep today.” Sehun shared, turning over to lie flat on his back as he rubbed his eyes. “Sorry, you were sharing about your trip, right?”

“I’m actually commenting on how sweet of you to buy a closet for the both of us. Wish I could do the same but you know my own clothes weren’t enough for one whole walk-in closet.” Soojung chuckled as he watched her hooking the last piece of her clothes to his hanger before she pushed the closet doors close. As she was done, he returned to his idle sleep; his eyes are closed but he could feel the other side of his bed dipped and he could prettily guess that she’s seated beside him.

Soojung’s eyes roamed on his desk— relief flooding through her system as she caught side of her gift: a small succulent planted on a cute white pot, just beside his books and Macbook. Such gesture caused for her heart to somersault in appreciation. She reached forward to grab the small succulent from its stance.

“It’s still alive.” She elicits awe, eyes gazing affectionately on it.

Sehun fought his eyes to open to check what’s she’s saying and he cannot help but for his lips to smile, he reached to grab it from her hands with his finger tracing along the pot, “Did you really think I would let this die?”

Soojung shrugged, “You may have thrown it away.” She suggested.

Sehun snorted, putting it right back on her hands. He had given direct orders from the household that any plant on their house may die but not this one. “I think I am more sentimental than you may have thought.”

 

 

Outdoor get-togethers have always been a thing for the Oh family. Since his entire family isn’t really that big with his parents both the younger of two siblings of each family, there is really a need for get-togethers. It is usually held at his parents’ family house and exactly the reason why their backyard is too large suitable for holding these sorts of events. Unbeknownst to the people, he belongs to a family of medical practitioners with their family owning big pharmaceutical companies and private hospitals which deems them as one of the most influential families. However, unlike any other offspring of these elites, Oh Sehun prefers the quiet life and out from the spotlight that was brightly shunning on his family.

“Are you sure that this is just a family dinner?” Soojung gazes around her surroundings in awe. Sometimes, she’d forget how wealthy his family is that something as simple for them looks and sounds extravagant for her— it was like they’ve gone all out for this affair with fairy lights hanging up on their pergola then, down was another set of fairy lights hooked on little bushes beside their little pavement leading to their pavilion that’s lit up with lanterns and other ornaments.

“How many people are coming here, to be honest?” Soojung asks, hooking her arms around his arm as they descend a few steps to where the garden is; despite the modest outfit she changed into: an olive flared skirt past her knees and a black crinkled top that matches his black tshirt; still, she looks spectacular and elegant in his eyes. And this is what he likes with the way she wears— she doesn’t have to show skin just to look y or beautiful. Just the way she carry herself, her confidence is enough to attract so many guys out there.

“It’s just family, Soojung— The Parks and Kims.” Sehun elaborates.

“Soojung!” Sehun could only roll his eyes upon hearing the shrill, excited squeal coming from behind them.

“Hi, Aunt.” Soojung giggled, throwing her arms around her, almost losing her balance as a petite woman with brunette bob of a hair, wrapped in an expensive silk threw her arms around her neck and pressed a kiss on her check that almost made Sehun gagged in such embarrassing display of affection. To be honest, she’s so childish at times that Sehun even wonders how her mother can ever be taken seriously by her colleagues and patients. “I’m sorry I wasn’t able to meet you earlier because I was so busy in the kitchen. I heard from the maid that you had your luggage with you, did you settle in the guest room?”

“She’ll be staying in my room. I’ll sleep in the guest room.” Sehun answered in her behalf, hands in his pocket.

“Well then, ask our maid to fix the guest room for you, okay? And you should also get the industrial fan in the storage since the aircon unit there isn’t working.” Mrs. Oh said, turning back on Soojung again. “How was your trip?”

“It was so fun, Aunt! I brought you some pretty souvenirs that you’ll surely love! We can even try the facial masks my sister recommended for you!”

“I thought I was late.” A loud, booming voice disturbed the serenity of the household as all heads swung from the doorway. He’s leaning leisurely against the wall, coat off and slung on his arm and the other holding a red box of something Sehun is sure a delicacy his mother will surely love. Joining the small family affair, there’s the Park Family (from his mother’s side)—with Park Chanyeol present in behalf of his busy parents. Sehun can just guess that they’re out of the country again for some business trips and conferences knowing that they’re planning to expand the pharmaceutical empire abroad.

“Son, I’m glad you made it. Gosh, I don’t know what’s running on my sister’s mind to let you come here alone.” Mrs. Oh said as she accepts the box from his hands and grabs the coat from his arm to rest on their coat hanger. “Tell them to get some rest from time to time. What’s the sense of exerting so many efforts when you get sick because of it, right?”

“I always did but we all know how workaholic they are. She says she gets peace whenever she’s busy.” Chanyeol ducked down to kiss her cheek and smiled brightly at Soojung, patting her head lightly in some sort of a brotherly affection. “And look who we have here! Wow, LA must have done you good, you look more beautiful.”

“Oh, she surely is. I wouldn’t even be surprised that some guy must have swept her off her feet when she’s there!” Mrs. Oh giggles, her hair affectionately; Soojung could only blush at what she said, embarrassed. “Auntie!”

Chanyeol was about to open his mouth open but close it again as he caught the look his cousin was giving him— he managed to convey what he meant despite his face remains passive but his eyes gazes at him sharply as if daring him to add something on what his mother has said. And Chanyeol knows better than pissing off a reserved man, hence, he just raised his hands up in surrender.

“Are you done reading the training modules for our lab test?” Chanyeol asks, diverting the topic to their pre-med.

Sehun nodded, “I’ve also tried some practice sheets that some senior had before. I think I forwarded you the link, check your email.”

“Come, come… let’s not talk about work or academics for now. I’m sure you’re famished already. Sehun, call Jongin where they could be. You know your Grandfather hates waiting.” His mother ordered, pulling Chanyeol and Soojung with her to where the rest of the family is.

Sehun fiddled with his phone to call his cousin when he catches a glimpse of red in a distance; ah, they’re finally here— that must be his father’s fraternal twin who’s deeply in love with anything red and he thought that may be one of the reasons why she’d be counted as one of the top Surgeons in the country (simply justifies her love for red). You see, Jongin’s parents are the exact opposite of how rowdy, playful and such a mess their only son is. He’s so chaotic that it was still a surprise to the elders how Sehun and Chanyeol didn’t caught such trait. His parents are the most soft-spoken, kind and reserved persons Sehun met in his life aside from his parents— and such difference caused for their family to continuously that he may be switched in the hospital with another baby.

“Aunt. Uncle.” Sehun kissed his parents’ cheeks, greeting them as he directed them to the pavilion where the rest are. “Hey, bro.”

“Would you always be late every time?” Sehun rolled his eyes as he shook hands with Jongin whose arm is around Seulgi— his cousin’s long-time girlfriend, waves happily at him. He ducked down to press his lips on her cheek as a greeting, “Sorry, Hun. It was so traffic.” She said on his behalf.

“Didn’t you know that you should always save the best for last?” Jongin kids. “Hey, do you think Chanyeol brought the CD game that I’m asking him? He told me he’d have it deliver by my unit last week.”

“He doesn’t seem to bring anything with him earlier other than the cake he bought for my Mom.”

“That little .” Jongin sneered; Seulgi hissed, slapping a hand over his mouth, “Honey, stop cussing.”

“Sorry, sweetheart.” Jongin whispers, kissing her temple as he ushered them to the Pavilion.

Behind them, Sehun bit his lower lip to fight himself from laughing at how ing whipped his cousin—  no one probably has said it then but Seulgi was the best thing that ever happened to him; that having such a strong-willed girlfriend would be the reason why Jongin (whom used to be so uncontrolled) be so different from his ways before.

The three peas in a pod (like what Soojung describes them): Sehun, Jongin and Chanyeol— they all grew up together and almost spend their entire lives watching over each other. They built mutual trust and understanding of each other despite the heavy differences in terms of their personalities and goals: with Sehun and Chanyeol deciding to become Doctors (in their respective specialization) and Jongin taking over the business side of their family.

Others may leave them but each of them knew they have each others’ backs whatever happens.

 

 

It’s dinnertime— plates, utensils and bowls were passed and filled up with all these scrumptious food laid on their table that his mother and their chef prepared enough for almost a double of their number to eat. It just shows how his family clearly gone all-out for just a simple family dinner. Sometimes, Sehun regrets ever seating beside these women: where Seulgi, Soojung and Mrs. Oh chat away over the patriarch’s business conversations with how cute these things are or with what’s trending right now in the world of fashion. It was kind of annoying at first but he understands that these women were always surrounded with these dominant males that they somehow need to breathe and engage in their own interests.

“Thank you…” Soojung cooed upon seeing the plate that Sehun has placed before her— her plate’s somewhat filled with steak topped with mashed potatoes and rice. “Oh, can you pass me the chicken wings too? I’ve always loved Aunt’s sauce.” She asks, whilst her hands reached for the lettuce leaves across her, putting two slices of meat on it, kimchi and garlic then wraps it up, directing it over his mouth. “You want to dip it on red chilli paste just for a taste?”

“No. Kimchi is enough.” Sehun opened his mouth, letting her feed him as he puts three buffalo chicken wings on her plate, adding more spicy sauce knowing full well how much she loves spicy foods— they complement each other in terms of food: that Soojung loves anything spicy whilst Sehun cannot eat anything spicy.

No one reacts at what happened. No one even mentioned or teased them at just what happened despite all of them putting smiles all over their faces that Seulgi think is cute for such a family dynamic. Seulgi chuckles under her breath, and turns to share a look with Jongin whom nodded his head in response to her silent question which conveys such assurance from her. She pours her glass with juice, “That’s quite too much, love. Can you finish all of it?”

Sehun chuckled, ruffling her hair softly, “Oh, right you didn’t know…Seulgi, she’s such a big-eater. She loves food so much, you’ll see, she’ll even ask for more later...” He happily shares.

“Well, my girl loves food, too. And you know, she can handle her drinks well that she can finish up even a bottle.” Jongin brags, causing for Seulgi’s cheeks to shade crimson, “Honey!”

“You know what we’ll do later.” Soojung winked at Seulgi before she nudges Sehun by the elbow to stop ruffling her hair even more before she sliced her steak. “I’ve always been such a big-eater ever since I’m a kid. And I can’t help it that I’m always hungry. My sister was always jealous that I can get to eat everything without gaining weight.”

“Me too!” Seulgi smiles brightly, “Love, I have tickets for an eat-all-you-can. We can go there this weekend!”

“I’d love to!” Soojung smiles back, clinking their glasses together for a sealed deal.

 

After the hearty meal, everyone has decided to dance by the checkered dance floor that Sehun’s father prepared earlier for a little merry dancing— knowing full well of how their grandfather loves dancing. Behind them, Chanyeol and Sehun decided to just chill by the table accompanied by cold beers in their hands as their eyes follow their people in a distance: of how Soojung’s dancing happily with their Grandfather, with the latter having the biggest smile on his face that radiates so much happiness, their parents and of course, Jongin swaying lovingly with Seulgi in his embrace over a dance song. For Sehun, having Soojung in their family occasions with Soojung would always mean different for him; his heart swells with happiness and pleasure to see his loved ones embracing her, loving her and treasuring her like she’s part of the family.

“Affairs like this make me realize how lucky I am that I belong to such loving and understanding family. Look at how they engage themselves with Seulgi and Soojung, and to my girlfriend if ever she’s here. They’d always go out of their way just to show other people that they matter.” Chanyeol says out of the blue, wiping the sweat from his cold bottle of beer.

Sehun nodded in agreement.

“And look at the way the males in our family look at their wives, those are the looks that women want from their men…” Chanyeol added, looking at Sehun in emphasis but actually shading his phrasing with double meaning. He wasn’t blind not to notice of how his eyes were like Soojung’s very own spotlight that follows wherever she is. He might have been dancing with her for all he knows but look, he remains stoic and passive and chooses to seat beside him to get tipsy drunk. “…they look at them with so much love and adoration. You know, this dinner just makes me miss my girl even more. If I just didn’t love her so much, I wouldn’t agree to this ing long distance that is so ing hassle.”

“You can always visit Wendy.” Sehun consoles him before he dragged the other case closer to their seats to open another set of drinks.

“You think I haven’t thought of that already?” Chanyeol snickers, shaking his head while his eyes roll, “I did, a hundred times! But she’s the one who doesn’t want to because she told me I have to focus on my studies. She always assures me that time flies so fast and we’ll be together again after four ing years. It somehow irritates when she demands that I should study, that I should hit this grade, that I should maintain this and that… but you know what, I get her and it is enough for me to not stop loving her because she cares for my being— she wants me to be successful not for other people but for myself. You know what she told me that I will never forget?” He trails off as he stares at him.

Sehun arched his eyebrows, “What?”

“She told me to immerse and put myself on other people’s shoes if ever I’ve put myself in a situation that is quite difficult to handle. She told me that not all is as strong as me, or not as stable emotionally as me…” Chanyeol heaved a deep breath, running his hand over his head, “Tell me that isn’t the purest thing someone has ever told you before.”

Sehun quietly blinks at him before his lips tilted into a proud grin, “I get it. I get it. I remember Soojung does the same to me. She’d never fail to remind me not to compare what I have and don’t have with other people especially our struggles with them...because we all have different ways in handling them.” And Chanyeol still isn’t turning blind eyes as he watches pink cross his cousin’s cheeks (not because he’s ing drunk) but because of her. “I don’t know what we have done in our past lives that we are lucky enough to meet and be surrounded with these people that bring out the best in us…like Soojung is making me want to be a person even on the days I wish I was not.”

Chanyeol leaned forward, placing his elbow on the table as he rested his face on his hand and smiled brightly, like his lips are almost reaching his ears.

 “What’s funny?” Sehun arched an eyebrow, confused.

“Nothing.” Chanyeol smiles coyly. He’d always been used of his cousin speaking highly about Soojung and how much of a good influence she is to him. “Don’t get mad at me, okay? I’ve been here since day one and it’s just…”

“Just what?”

“There are a lot of girls around, Sehun…” Chanyeol left off…that alone, he knew what he meant.

A second of silence passes between them and Chanyeol opened his mouth to say that he doesn’t need to answer it when he beats him to it. Sehun tilted his head to the side, lovingly staring at Soojung who is currently dancing with Seulgi over a TWICE song.

“I know she is not the only girl in the world, okay? But for me, she’s the only one that truly matters.”

"Then why don't you act on it?"

"Because you can never go back, Chanyeol."