Finding Peace With Distance

You Are The One

 

The air around them is thick with tension and nobody dared to utter a single word or move a single muscle the moment they stood in front of him like the same ten-year olds with panic and utter fear doing somersaults into their guts despite looking like they manage to hold it all together— keeping their head low to show remorse. Their Grandfather always demands discipline at all aspects, he doesn’t really speak much and rarely gets angry but if he does, it heeds everyone’s attention. Silence dragged on for too long and it just extends their anxiety even further because despite acting like they have prepared for anything worst for the night, they hold out that little hope that the head of their family would at least spare them.

Jongin nudged his side lightly, urging him to somehow break through the silence with whatever crap he can think of. Chanyeol hissed, shaking his head lightly because no matter how bright and outgoing his personality was, he’d always curl up in front of their Grandfather— they were more scared of their Grandfather than their parents to be honest.

“I cannot believe the time will come that I have to bail you out of prison for your stupid fight.” He spat, with every word coming out of his mouth sends shivers down his grandsons’ spines as they let his taut and hard voice pass through their ears. “I don’t care if you were provoked for a fight or if you tried to help someone but I do not condone any violence in this household! Haven’t I made myself clear back then? And look at yourself, Sehun!”

Sehun’s shoulder’s stiffened, anxiety intensifying on his system as his grandfather’s undivided attention was shun on him. He doesn’t need to look in the mirror to guess that he’d looked . He felt stupid that he had let him punch his face when he could have jabbed him in every part of his body. He could feel throbbing pain from a cut on his cheekbone, on his busted bottom lip and a burning sensation under his eyes (in which he hopes won’t result to black eye); he actually wanted to roll his shoulder to at least ease the aching stiffness from the force he exerted from the punches on that bastard earlier (but his fear doesn’t let him).

“Out of the three of you, they all believe that Jongin was the wild one who cannot be tamed but I know it truly is Sehun. Sehun is always this person who’d always been so aloof and reserved but has anger raging inside.” He stood in front of him, “What came through your mind and jumped on this man alone like a poor victim? You even broke his nose!”

Sehun remained mummed, kept his head lower.

“Oh? Where’s that attitude you have earlier? Why don’t you speak to defend yourself?” He challenged, pushing his shoulder lightly in a taunting manner, “Do you only choose your fight on people you know you can beat, huh?”

“It’s nothing like that, Grandfather. He didn’t bully him! He just did what he needed to do.” Jongin defended, slightly leaning forward to stand before Sehun.

“Yes, his actions aren’t appropriate but he has good intentions on doing it.” Chanyeol added.

“I don’t need you two to defend his actions because you—” He slapped their shoulders each, earning a surprised gasp from, “Didn’t bother to stop this guy! Now, get out of my face! Leave us alone.”

Jongin shook his head, eyes harden in determination. “If you’ll punish Sehun, then you can punish us, too. We didn’t do anything but watch to beat him up. It’s like we’re beating him up as well so we’re most likely at fault, too.”

He snorted, a lingering smile plastered on his face…and they knew they’re already forgiven; of course he’d expected them to be loyal with each other in which he admires about their bond but he needed to speak to him alone. It may be unsaid but they shared a special connection and that Sehun has always been his personal favourite grandson.

“I want to speak to Sehun alone.” He demanded, sending them menacing glares. “And I don’t need to ask you for the second time.”

Reluctantly, they get out of their way and headed on the hallway leading to the maids’ quarters but once they were out of sight, they crouched down on either side of the open doorway to eavesdrop on them.

“I’m disappointed with your actions, Sehun.” He began, taking the closest chair to sit on; in an instant, his features soften and he became calm and composed. He knew Sehun as someone who has the longest patience and temper between them and what he did somehow came out differently from his character

“I know…. I’m sorry.” Sehun apologized.

“You three could have killed me because of your antics, seriously! I almost had a heart attack when I received that goddamn call to notify me that you’re locked up in prison. I’ve thought of all sorts of possible crimes that may have done on you— were you kidnapped? Were you harassed? Were you murdered? What happened there?”

“He deserved a whole lot more than just a broken nose, to be honest.” Sehun narrowed his eyes, meeting his grandfather’s eyes and noticed how his eyes soften in understanding and worry. To be honest, he was scared that he might have actually killed him there and it is just difficult to control his anger like he was a raging bull that were chasing after red. “I’m sorry that I broke your golden rule but I’m never going to apologize for what I did to him. It may not be the ideal situation at hand, but it served its purpose. You didn’t saw what he did there! He took a woman in the alley and took advantage of her. She said no! She’s pushing him away but he kept on kissing her and turned deaf to her pleas. I wouldn’t just stand there and watch him assault her!”

“I understand where you’re getting from but you could have resolved this on another way.” He began quietly, “And the reason why I don’t condone any violence in this household because violence wouldn’t resort to anything good! It is not the way to make any changes and it will only make things worse. It isn’t up to you whether he deserved that or not because it depends on the situation: you could have called security on him. Or we could have prevented this situation if only she hadn’t—“

Sehun shook his head lightly, his eyebrows furrowed in annoyance at what his Grandfather is pointing at. He cannot believe that he’s about to hear such ridiculous excuse. “Are you saying that she asked to be assaulted in the alley? No! It’s not her fault. People need to learn what respect and consent really meant! It should be consensual— two adults allowing it to happen. And when someone says no, they really meant it! It doesn’t matter if she’s drunk because the point here is you shouldn’t take advantage of someone on their weak state, manipulate someone or forced them to something ual for your benefit. And I’m sure I made him learn his lesson.”

He looked at him apologetically, “But aren’t you worried he’d get after you for what you did?”

“Is he going to press charges against me?” Sehun questioned, but there’s no hint of nervousness but rather curiosity from him as he asked. “I can just fight his case if we come to that situation. I have a witness.”

“Now that I’ve heard what happened, I’ll make sure he’ll pay.” He smiled warmly, (because he knows his personal secretary must have done it already) and Sehun nodded as he looked up at him; he cannot just spread his lips for a smile because it hurts.

He looked him over, shaking his head as he laughed softly out of amusement. “If Soojung is with you, I doubt this will even happen. You tend to be on your best behaviour when she’s around.”

‘That is because she makes me want to be a person even on times that I wish I wasn’t…’. But Sehun is never courageous enough to utter those words. Hence, he rolled his eyes as response, “This wouldn’t have happened if only I believed Chanyeol about the black cat.”

And how his ears flamed in embarrassment, glancing at every corner of the house distractedly at the mention of her name has brought a huge grin on his old man’s face— he’d pretty much know his grandson’s affections towards Soojung even if he’d always mask it with annoyance and denial. The moment he introduced and brought her to their family affairs and had included her in their family pictures, he knew she’d be with them for a long time.

“Ah, you know Chanyeol’s an old soul and the black cat is only a superstition made by the elders. If you think that bad luck will happen or your day is just ruined after seeing it, chances are it will be because you believed it to be. Get some rest and treat your wounds. Put some ice on your eyes because from the looks of it, you’ll have black eye.”

“, I can’t have black eye.” Sehun whined.

He scoffed, “Then you shouldn’t have allowed him to take the first punch, son.”

 

 

“The old man is right— you’re really stupid for giving him the chance to punch you.” Chanyeol snickered, taking Sehun’s hand to press another cold compress on it to help the swollen knuckles. Checking his cousin, he looked like his usual self except the distracting wounds on his face and he knew using concealer on his cuts will do the trick to conceal it. Jongin is already cuddled in the library to work on school stuff that is due tomorrow and despite wanting to be in the same room together, the two of them opted to lounge on the second-floor balcony to treat his wounds and also to have some smoke.

Damn, Sehun glanced at the three butts of cigarette sticks lying on the ashtray and it dawned on him that he smokes more cigarettes when he’s under stress. It’s getting more addictive as he uses it to fill up the gaps in his system.

“I know that. I’ve been screaming in my head at how stupid I was, okay? Stop pressing on it already.” Sehun can only roll his eyes, reaching for the cotton bud with ointment on it, leaning closer to the mirror as he gently applies it on his busted lip and immediately hissing in pain as it makes contact with the open wound. “I regret a lot of things in my life but this isn’t one of them.”

“Are you done?” Chanyeol asked, pertaining to treating his wounds.

“Yeah...” Sehun exhaled from his last cigarette of the night, finishing it off and tossing the filter on the ashtray; he fixed the ointment and medicines back on the medical kit with his free hand as Chanyeol picked up the used cotton buds and cotton pads and tossed it on the trash bin Jongin had brought earlier (knowing full well his cousins would forget it).

“Admit it. I looked edgy with my wounds. I looked like someone who would defy the rules.” Sehun managed to joke lightly as he leaned back to bring the mirror close to his face, caressing his skin. Turning to Chanyeol, he smirked. “And Soojung is going to add more if she knew about this.” He sighed.

“Oh, I’m sure she will. “Chanyeol sniggered, “Actually, I can hear her shouting profanities at you for being careless and letting him get into your system. You know those are just lies to get into you.”

“But I can’t just let that guy speak of her that way. Any woman needs to be respected.” And Sehun could only spare his cousin with an expectant gaze. It was a soft plead. “Can you drive me to her place tonight?”

“And let her family see you in your battered self?” Chanyeol narrowed his eyes, “I wouldn’t dare taint such good image I have built on her family if you decided to show up in their porch looking like . Have you considered that they may think that you’re bad influence on their daughter? Like a bully or irresponsible man who’d always sign himself in brawls? I don’t think so….”

“You’re overacting! Her parents wouldn’t think of me like that.” Sehun snapped.

“I suggest you let yourself heal first. If you showed up tonight, you’re only giving her another reason to get mad at you. She’ll think that you prefer for a boys’ night out going wrong than spending time with her and her family— Oops, that sounded wrong. That sounded like she’s a girlfriend but we both knew she’ll never be a girlfriend because you’re a coward.” Chanyeol mocked.

“Whatever you say, man….I just needed to see her.” Sehun sighed dejectedly.

“You will, but not tonight.” Chanyeol ended the conversation.

 

 

“Are you still hungry?” Her sister asked.

Without any hesitation, Soojung nodded as response. She had to take a step back from finishing their dinner earlier from the way her sister and mother were staring up at her as if she suddenly had grown another limb. She was on her back to her room from getting water in the kitchen, yet she falls on wonder on why the hell her sister’s standing outside in the cold only on her pink silk robe tied tightly over her waist and a bath towel wrapped over her wet hair.

“Did you just come out of the bathroom? You’re not underneath that bathrobe, right?” She wondered.

Her sister narrowed her eyes at her, a hand rests on her hip, “What kind of stomach do you have? You already had two bowls of rice and a slice of apple pie earlier! And now you even called for a special delivery? Soojung, you need to watch your calories intake! Aren’t you worried of your weight gain?”

Soojung can only roll her eyes at how pissed her sister is again at her. Sometimes, she can only think that she’s venting her anger on her just because she cannot just eat anything she likes because she needs to watch for her figure as it’s needed on her job as a model. She knew exactly what’s wrong with her and she doesn’t really want to be reminded of her wrong fitness decisions because it’s just difficult to go on a diet when there are a lot of delicious foods out there!

“What are you talking about? I didn’t order anything.” Soojung shrugged, confusion plastered on her face. To be honest, it was ridiculous to order at midnight because aside from the expensive delivery fee, it wasn’t really ideal to eat anything heavy before sleeping. “Maybe Dad ordered for a midnight snack?”

“They’re already asleep! Come here, who do you think that delivery was for then?” Her sister looked her over with confusion and she could only return her gaze with her sceptical look. She stood besides her, following the direction her sister was pointing at— from where they are, it wasn’t difficult to distinguish a young man getting off from his motorcycle and carefully carrying two plastic bags of goodies. In an instant, she could feel her stomach rumble in hunger, slightly mouth waters at the name of her favourite restaurant plastered at the plastic bag.

“Hey, I think you have the wrong location.” Her sister called, just as the young man reaches their porch and she has to bit her lower lip to stop herself from laughing at the way he suddenly brightens up upon looking at her sister with surprised wide eyes, almost similar to gawking on a celebrity. The corners of his lips spread into a wide, excited grin. “Oh my god! Are you for real?”

Her sister flaunted, flipping half of her hair on her shoulder as she grins at him, “Yes. But that’s not the case here—“

He goes frantic, “Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god. I’m a huge fan! I’ve been your fan ever since you starred on the Coke Commercial! That is legendary and ever since then, I’ve been collecting—“

“Okay, calm down okay? I appreciate it so much. Thank you but please be quiet because you’ll wake up my parents.” Her sister chuckled, “Look, we didn’t order for some special delivery.”

“Huh? I think not, Ma’am because I placed the address here correctly.” And the young man has to repeat the address for them to hear. Okay, that’s really correct but who would ask that to deliver here. “It also says here that this is for Miss Soojung Jung from her boyfriend Oh Sehun.”

Soojung’s eyes widened slightly, enough for the two of them to notice and almost fell on the bolster she’s currently leaning at. What kind of ery did Sehun managed to get into tonight and decided to call himself a boyfriend? Not only did he break her promise to her tonight but also call himself a ridiculous title. She actually forgotten that Sehun wasn’t able to drive her home tonight and she doesn’t hold any grudges on that to be honest because she had accepted the fact that there will always be a time that Sehun wouldn’t just stay for her just because she asked him to. He has a full world that he must have explored on his own and sometimes, she’s not needed in the picture.

She could see her sister wasn’t expecting that as well as she gazed at her incredulously before she falls into fits of joyous laughter. “I’ve been waiting for this for a long time! Oh goodness. Why didn’t you tell me you’ve adjusted Sehun’s position from best friend to boyfriend?!” She slapped her shoulder, giggling. “I’m so happy you’ve finally taken the plunge and hit it!”

Soojung snorted, “I don’t see Sehun in that light, sister. Well technically he’s my boyfriend, a boy that is my friend, if ever you need clearance.” She turned to the young man as she glanced at the plastic bags he’s carrying. She has a hunch what that is for but she wanted to know if he really knows her like he says he does. “What’s inside the bags?”

“Why do you think he delivered food here?”

The young man peered at the plastic bags, “It has 1 bucket of Spicy Chicken Legs and 1 bucket of Original Crispy Chicken with extra garlic mayonnaise.”

“Apology accepted.”

Her sister watched Soojung gives off a hint of a coy grin before she escaped out of the balcony to go where the young man is. She’s curious why would Sehun offer an apology but nevertheless, she smiled at the idea that Sehun knows her too well that she can never refuse food especially if it’s her comfort food. She scrolled through her contacts and pressed on the call button.

“Were you sleeping?” She inquired, watching her sister conversing with the young man as she takes the bags of food. Her heart melts, of course no matter how old she may be, she’d still remain that curious little girl in her eyes. “You know your trick of getting her forgiveness worked and that’s quite a move for taking advantage of her interests. Did you fight again?”

She hears him sigh, “I don’t think that’s really a fight. You know how Soojung hates breaking promises and I happen to break one. Is it okay if I drive up there tomorrow?”

“Of course! My parents would love to see you, too.” She grins, “You know, I really like you for my sister and it’s just a shame why you can’t admit your feelings to her when it’s pretty obvious…“

He only chuckled as response. 

“Idiot.” She rolled her eyes, a smile lingering on her lips. “You’re a martyr…but still an idiot nonetheless. And I hate that I still like you for her.”