You Are Too Good For Me

You Are The One

 

Soojung just cannot stop the bounce on her steps as she walks towards the queue to check in for her flight, she was too ecstatic to finally be attending her favourite band’s concert— ah, she didn’t get too much sleep last night as she repeatedly think of her plan: she’d attend the meet-and-greet event first (as part of her VIP package), enjoy her heart’s delight in the concert proper then a little tour and souvenir shopping. She even listed down the souvenirs her friends asked for her.

But she stopped short on her tracks, astounded.

“Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me!” Soojung says exasperatedly; the word ‘cancelled’ blinks right across her; she felt someone had punched her in the gut, her heart rate kicks up and that bubble of excitement she had earlier popped right before her: she has been so excited about this news that it definitely deafened everyone she talks to, especially Sehun, on how she doesn’t shut up how excited she is for the concert— but that’s all gone. Bile rising up , the thought of her plans disrupted and not attending the concert…the thought is painful as it is that she just cannot help but blink the tears away.

Her knees fell weak and she used the nearest metallic bench to sit on, dragging her luggage before her and trying her hardest not to cry in front of all these people. People buzzed with rants and complaints, some are asking for alternatives (or refunds) just not to ruin the plans they have set. But for Soojung, it is a lost cause already: time is crucial, it’s running and a small delay on the time frame ruins everything.

Her heartbeat spikes as her phone buzzed on her lap and she assured herself of positive thoughts, that maybe there is a better time for her to meet them and that there are better things to do other than flying. She checked herself, she’ll not cry in front of all these people— she knew better. However, as her thoughts eat her up despite thinking of bright stuff and rage fires in her.

‘ feel the moment, sooj. Enjoy the night with your boys! <3 ‘

‘ I’ll see you when you’re back and call me when you settled in your hotel. That’s not a request. ‘

Brokenheartedly, she typed away as tears stain her beautiful face.

 

 

The library had suddenly turned even quieter (like a blanket was draped upon everyone)— without his best friend chanting and talking about her band. And he failed to notice that everyone was all busy with their own journals and stuff going on that Soojung’s absence kind of highlighted the silence. He snorted with soft laughter, as his mind runs thoughts of how Soojung was probably in cloud-nine right now.

“Hey, where’s Soojung?” Jongin asks softly, sliding on the chair across him as he pulled his laptop out of his bag and rummaging through his bag pocket for his wireless mouse.

“She has a flight to catch. Remember that concert she’s been telling us about for a month now?”

“Ah, yes. I envy how she gets to fly out for a concert.” Jongin remembers, bringing a smile on his lips but later on, turned his lips into a firm as he eyed his screen, reading. “What’s so good about that band anyway? Even Seulgi was so crazy about them. Her father just didn’t allow her to attend even if she wanted to.”

“Oh dude, tell me about it…” Sehun shrugged. He was not really into the band’s genre and was only forced to listen on them because Soojung just cannot shut up and constantly talking about them. He hated every single thing of it but he doesn’t have the heart to tell her upfront— he knew better than to invalidate someone else’s feelings just because it doesn’t match with his interests. And in the years they have been friends, they highlight the importance of compromise— they like seeing each other enjoy the things that make them happy (even if they were not part of it sometimes).

“Man, I’ve been with this since last night but I still can’t comprehend this, this major subject is ing making me delirious! If this wasn’t so important, I would have dropped this altogether with my minor subject that acts like a major.”

Sehun rolled his eyes, he completely understands his sentiments. “But too bad, we have to endure it.”

He fished his phone from his pocket, opening a new message as he types.

‘ feel the moment, sooj. Enjoy the night with your boys! <3 ‘

‘ I’ll see you when you’re back and call me when you settled in your hotel. That’s not a request. ‘

He’s quite taken a back at how immediate her response was and the smile latched on his lips faded upon seeing her reply.

‘ didn’t get to see them. My flight’s cancelled.’

Sehun could immediately picture in his mind how his best friend is probably curled up right now into a ball, looking vulnerable and sad— , he could feel his heart dropped like how it feels when the rollercoaster he’s riding slide down from the peak.  He stood from his seat, with his chair scratching the floor drawing everyone’s attention at his direction, even Jongin jumped on his seat from shock. He shoved everything he owns on his bag as fast as possible.

Jongin can only look at him with those questioning eyes, confused at what he is acting. “Hey, is everything okay?”

“No. But I can handle it.” Sehun nodded stiffly, sliding his bag on his shoulder as he responds, “Tell Chanyeol that I’ll call in sick for today’s lecture just in case I won’t be able to text him.” He requests,

And off he goes, leaving Jongin confused and concerned all by himself.

 

“Hey.”

Soojung glanced up in surprise, eyes slightly widening from surprise to see her best friend standing a few feet near her. She knew he was busy but her heart flutters that he went out of his way to get her. She wiped her face, trying to pull herself together before she speaks, “Hey…”

Sehun walked closer to her, eyes meeting hers and it just breaks his heart to see those hazel brown eyes puffy and red from crying. He placed his hands on both of her cheeks as he delicately held her tear-stained yet still beautiful face.

“I’m sorry.” He says, gently wiping her tears away with his thumbs. It was something that they both cannot work on because it is something out of their reach. Yet, he still feel sorry.

“Why are you sorry, Sehun? It’s not your fault.”

Sehun sighed, “You’re so brave right now, acting like it doesn’t hurt.”

“Silly, it really does hurt.”

“It’s going to hurt for a while but you’re going to be fine, my love. And a band that great, I’m sure this won’t be their last concert! You can always try again, book another flight for their next concert. You say their next leg will be in Shanghai, right? We’ll book together, I’ll accompany you.”

“You don’t even like them. And you’re busy too.” Soojung’s voice is soft and hoarse as more tears cascaded yet she’s strong enough to let a small smile appear on her face, glad to hear those comforting words from him.

And he continues to wipe them away, “But you love them, so it still counts. And don’t worry about my time schedule, I can work it out.”

She shook her head, “It’s fine, Sehun. I have manuscripts to work on for the next semester. Maybe the universe tells me it’s better to watch them from afar.”

“Ssh, don’t say that.”  Sehun pulled her in his embrace, letting her head rest against his chest as he wrapped his arms around her petite frame; he her hair affectionately, leaving a few soft kisses on the crown of her head. “I got you. It’s going to be okay, you’re going to be okay.”

A few moments later as her tears finally subsided, Soojung rested her chin on his chest, lifting her head up while she tightens her hold around his torso. She could prettily guess how big of a mess she must have made from her short breakdown but hearing those words from him lighten up the baggage in her chest.

Sehun looked down at her, eyes gleaming in fascination as he appreciates her beauty still. Sehun’s holding her gaze with a smile she adores and she cannot help but threw her head back a little as she releases that laugh. She feels a little better from earlier.

“How did I become so lucky to have you in my life? You’re too good for me, too good for anyone.” Soojung breathes, “Thank you.”