004

Saving Lives, Saving Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Yeonhee has been in love with Oh Sehun since, like, forever. He's the first person that she found to sit next to her bed when she began her new life years ago, she remembers how the scene awestruck her that she thought he was angel, and she was in Heaven. He helped her to struggle to get through the worst phase of her life, he helped her to stand on her knees, he brought out the best of her and made her strong. When she looked at him, she saw the rest of her life in front of her eyes, and she was sixteen at the time.

Ten years pass, nothing changes. But after ten years, how Yonhee wishes that he knows of how he has been the last dream of her soul, that she's utterly completely eye-popping seriously groundbreaking passionately in love with him, every single day. She loves him more than she has ever found a way to say to him because she's not that type of one who can say it with words, she always makes sure that it's shown. But after years of making herself like a fool, it leaves her with a realization that she's been in love with a person that doesn't love her back the way she wants it. He never sees her a woman; all the sweet words, all the kisses and hugs, the attention, it's nothing but a brotherly affection from him. 

There are so many times when she gets tired of it. There are times when she wants to stop loving him, she wishes she has the guts to walk away from what she has for him, but she just can't because she knows that he won't come after her, and that hurts her the most. She's just not ready with the heartbreak, although she's been living with it for more than ten years. He's just too indifferent, and it's really a disappointment.

And Yeonhee is upset in the morning. When she ran over to Sehun's house and said that she wanted to get out of her father's house, she wished that Sehun would take her in. She expected him to have her move in with him, only to have him say, "Don't worry. We'll find a good place for you to stay." and threw all of her hopes away to the sink. She means like, she's not a stranger for him, they've known each other for years, and Yeonhee just can't see whether he's just merely oblivious or purposely being frivolous about her. She doesn't want him to look for a place for her, she wants to stay with him. He has enough rooms for her in his condominium, and she wants to stay there instead of anywhere else, why can't he understand it? God's sake!

"Just drop me at the bus stop there," she tells Sehun when he drives him to the hospital this morning.

"Why? I can drop you at the parking lot."

"No, no, someone might see us. I'll just walk."

Sehun clicks his tongue and pulls over near the bus stop, and Yeonhee gets off from the car right away without wasting more time. And when she's about to start walking, Sehun rolls down the window to call her name.

"Smile, please?" he says as he gives her his best sweet smile. And Sehun's smile is her kryptonite, it's her weak spot and no matter how irritating he has been, she can't not smile back. So she does and she waves her hand to say bye,

"See you in a bit," he says his bye before he steps on the gas and leaves her there, all alone with her morning irritable state of mind.

She can only sigh when he's gone with his car, muttering her disappointment on his cluelessness. "I can't believe I'm in love with him for ten years, I'm really a masochist," she says to herself. And she starts to walk again to the hospital because it's five o'clock in thirty minutes, and she doesn't want to be late for the morning rounds.

"Your boyfriend?" 

Yeonhee jolts in surprise to see Yixing stands beside her all of sudden. She didn't see him anywhere around earlier, and she instantly feels a bit of panic worrying if he saw Sehun just now. 

"Did you see him?" she asks back. 

Yixing shakes his head, "No, why? You're dating someone you're not supposed to date?" he teases with a nudge on her waist, and Yeonhee can't help to sigh again. How it will be so much easier if the case is they indeed are really dating each other.

To play the if, Yeonhee can't see the wrongful idea to date a resident when they work at the same hospital, but it does feel wrong when she's the Kang Heejin's daughter, who was Sehun's mentor since he was still a med school student. Even without people knowing their acquaint relationship, they can't stop to link her with her mother every time she manages to do something, like, her merit doesn't have to do with anything of her skillful deduction or performance. She doesn't want them to progressively think that Sehun plays favorite one her when he picks her over everyone to do something in the future, she's tired of people treat her less than she really is when the truth is she's been working so hard to be who she is right now. And her mother definitely has nothing to do with it, instead.

"I wish we're dating,"

Yixing raises his eyebrows to hear her reply, but when Yeonhee says not to ask anything, he just makes this gesture as if he's zipping his mouth and doesn't say anything else anymore. They walk side by side to the hospital in silence after that.

"Seems like someone woke up at the wrong side of the bed today." 

Yeonhee rolls her eyes when Baekhyun notices her bad morning mood by poking her waist with his slender finger. She knows that Baekhyun was just joking, but she can't just be over the fact that his remark is actually right on point. But she decides not to say anything but a pout when she shuts her locker door and turns around to find both Baekhyun and Sejeong stands before him holding out two apples toward her.

"What is this?" she asks when they give her the apples.

"Token of peace?" Baekhyun replies to her, but then Sejeong elbows him.

"It's a token of apology." she corrects him, "We're acting so reckless to you yesterday, we should've known better that it must be so awful for you that we mentioned your late mother. So, we apologize." she then smiles genuinely, reaching out her hand to hold her.

"Yeah, and Father Yixing here gave us an earful about being supportive friends. We realize that we're being impudent for harassing you with your mother's legacy, so, we apologize. I just want you to know that we're all together in this boat, and we do this not because Yixing asked us to apologize, though I have to say that he's a good preacher, he still has a point..."

"The point is, we see you and befriend you as who you are." Sejeong cuts him and makes the conclusion for them. "We don't want you to have the idea that we befriend you for your mother or such, but since day one, even before we know everything, we're friends because we're all in this boat together."

Yeonhee doesn't say anything at first, she's dumbstruck with the small speech but to say that she's not affected by it is a lie, because the truth is, she's so thankful someone (or two ones) will say something like that to her. She's so overwhelmed that she feels like she wants to cry, but she holds it in because she's just not that type to show people her tears. The next thing she does is she wraps her arms on Baekhyun and Sejeong's neck and pulls them in for a hug. She thanks them, gives them a kiss at the top of their head and proclaims them as good friends. When they finally disperse to get to their own way to see the floor patient, Yeonhee gives Yixing one of the apples that she has, but she doesn't say anything when he asks what is the apple for. 

 

It's actually never easy to be mad at Sehun, because she's the fool who will keep her sparkling pinky eyes on him no matter how infuriating he has made her feel. She's never able to keep her vex for too long in other places, but today, Yeonhee is glad that she can stay irritated at him freely even though when he's around. She's able to not smile at him in the hospital because she's supposed to play the intern, and he is her boss. She can hide her discreet madness by acting formal and serious the whole time, and it's actually kind of relieving. She doesn't have to feed his ego by acting like nothing happens, like usual, she doesn't have to pretend like it doesn't hurt when he doesn't look at her the way she does at him. Even though she still can't escape him since she's on his specialty rotation for another month, only in this hospital that she can maintain her poker face and not have him pestering her to tell him what's on her mind.

Sehun greets them with his typical calm voice when Yeonhee and Yixing are studying the patients' chart. He deliberately brushes his hand to her elbow lightly, (just to , she supposes) but Yeonhee tries her best to ignore it. They're reviewing the patients together for another ten minutes before Sehun takes them to visit the patient for the rounds.

And everything goes like usual at the visits, they have a good conversation with the patient and their family, though at consulting the pediatric wards they found that kids don't like to be woken up at 6.30 and seem like they don't really like it when they come to visit (even though Yixing is being the kids' best friend when he plays around with them).

"Kim Yeonhee, come with me," Sehun says about ten minutes after the rounds end. They're in the middle of doing the chart when he rushes from the doctor's consulting room and calls her.

She let Yixing take over her chart and walks fast following Sehun taking the emergency stairs to get down to the ground floor. She doesn't need to ask to know that they're going to the ER, probably for a consult. And she's right, once they're there, she spots Jongdae with Baekhyun at the nurse station, checking at a lab result.

"What is it?" Sehun asks as they join them.

"Where's Yixing?" Baekhyun whispers next to her.

"Doing charts."

"That ." He comments, which makes her chuckle instantly.

"He loves it," she retorts, revealing the truth. She even believes that no one in the medical world will really like doing charts like Yixing does.

"That kid is weird, really. It's a shame, though, I thought he'll like this case."

"Why?" Yeonhee asks, and Baekhyun nods his chin to their seniors' conversation. She fixes her attention back to both Sehun and Jongdae, who are now examining the patients' chart and history.

"A 50-year-old man came into the ER with ongoing central chest pain, starting 4 hours ago.  He described it as dull in nature and the pain didn't radiate." Jongdae mentions as he reads the chart, "He felt short of breath, sweaty and nauseous with the pain. There's no objective evidence of dyspnoea but the patient looked clammy. There's also no previous history and no risk factors for coronary heart disease except tobacco smoking. Physical examination and baseline observations were not good."

Sehun takes Yeonhee to have a physical exam to the patient who is laying on one of the ER beds now. When they're done, they get back to the nurse station right away to join Jongdae and Baekhyun again. Sehun studies the ECG record strip for a moment and marks some points in circles with his pen before he hands it to Yeonhee, "What does it look like to you?" he says to let her study it too.

Yeonhee focuses on the circle marks and now sees how Baekhyun said that Yixing will like this case. For a few days working with him, Yonhee found out that he's good at interpreting ECG. Though he's kind slow in receiving and processing information, Yixing is a detailed and observative person to the signs that most people tend to not be aware of. In some cases of their patients during the visiting round yesterday, Yixing played an active role in reading ECG records before consulting them to the resident in charge, in which all of them were accurate.

"It looks like Ischemia. The elevation of some waves look suspicious, is this a STEMI?" she asks back to Sehun. She's making a blunt guess that what she sees is a very serious type of heart attack during which one of the heart's major arteries, one that supplies oxygen and nutrient-rich blood to the heart muscle, is blocked. If what she thinks is right, this is a very high-risk patient they're having here.

Sehun puts the strip on the countertop and crooks his forefinger so Yeonhee and Baekhyun can see it clear while

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter