003

Saving Lives, Saving Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"Good morning,"

Yeonhee greets Yixing at the nurse station, she's surprised to see him there because she doesn't think he will come so early today. While tying her hair to a ponytail, she looks over his shoulder at his side to see that he's writing down some notes on a patient's discharge paper.

"Oh, you've checked their vitals?"

"I did. Come early today, so I just do what I can do first."

Yeonhee holds up her thumb and Yixing lets out a small smile to appreciate it. While preparing for today's morning rounds, Yeonhee checks the patient list to see their progress, there are several new in-patients who came in last night and Yeonhee asks Yixing to have a rundown of those patients because he's the one who has met the night-shift resident. Because it's Sehun's day off after his 36-hour shift, they will be doing the morning rounds by themselves again. But unlike yesterday, now she has enough idea what she has to do.

While she's studying the patients, she realizes that Yixing is staring at her from her side. She doesn't really care about it at first, but when he doesn't seem to be looking away, Yeonhee turns to him,

"Is there anything you want to tell me?"

Yixing bits his lower lip, his eyes still on her, staring at her intensely and meaningfully. This makes Yeonhee wonder what is on his mind, because he looks a bit weird with his attitude this morning. But instead of telling her what's on his mind, Yixing asks,

"Can I ask you something?"

She raises her eyebrows and then nods, "Of course."

"Do you think I look familiar?"

Yeonhee tilts her head, fails to catch what he means by this.

"I mean, my face. Don't you think you've seen me before?"

Yeonhe squints her eyes, trying to recognize Yixing and racks her brain if she ever knows him or remembers his face from a time in her past. But no, she's sure that she never did. She will know that she has met him before, and she begins to worry that he's part of the missing link.

"Um, you think we've met before?" Yeonhee asks carefully.

"You don't think we've met before?" Yixing returns the question back at her again, and Yeonhee starts to feel frustrated there. Is he trying to play a game with her or what?

"I don't—"

"You don't, do you? Of course, I just knew I'm not one with a familiar face." For the second time, Yeonhee raises her eyebrows, wanting to ask what he means by that when Yixing goes on, "I met someone on the subway last night, who claimed that I looked a lot like someone from her junior high."

"Woman or man?" that's the first question she asks when she hears it.

"A woman." And the answer makes Yeonhee laugh right away. She may not be someone who is experienced with a romantic relationship or such, but she knows well what a woman will do when she tries to attract the opposite . And of course Yixing will get the girls to hit on him because, with this of appearance, he's evidently attractive. And Yixing is obviously oblivious about this kind of thing, she can't blame him. He's not exactly the only one who isn't sensitive to women's feelings.

Geez, man.

"Why? Why are you laughing? What's so funny?" Yixing asks, confused by her laughter while following her as turns away with a patient's chart on her hand to start their morning rounds.

"You're funny." she tells him, but she refuses to elaborate further.

They do the rounds for almost three hours this morning, the patients' families ask a lot of questions and Yeonhee literally drains her brain remembering the information Sehun shared about them the previous night. What surprises her is how Yixing helps her answer some questions that she gives up to reply because she has no idea what to say, unlike yesterday, now he seems to follow everything smoothly, he even knows things related about their patients' illness that Yeonhee hasn't thought of before.

"I stayed up all night to study their cases," he says when Yeonhee questions him about it after the end of the rounds.

"But why?"

"Because," Yixing gives her a glance and chuckles to himself, "Working with you is really a challenge. Even in our first day it's no doubt that you're extremely smart, you're so skilfull, you know everything and I just," he pauses a second to wet his lips, "I don't want to stand there and makes myself like an idiot while you do all the job yourself. That's why, though I won't ever match you, I have to step up my game to catch up with everyone."

Right that second, Yeonhee is speechless. She has no idea how to react to that and feels so dumbfounded at the same time. She was flattered by the things that Yixing mentions about her intelligence, but of all those things, she appreciates the most that he doesn't mention about her mother to connect her skill with because it's what matters the most for her. And she can see why he behaves like this, it's no doubt that what happened the day before might have been a shock on him. There were so many things that they needed to do, though she was indeed so tired, she still thinks that Yixing is degrading himself by the title that he makes for himself.

"I don't think you look like an idiot." she then says, "It's normal to be unskillful on your first day, we don't know how the system works here."

Yixing smiles again, "Thank you for the comforting words. But don't you remember what Jongdae said yesterday? The last time they have an intern who can't start an IV line was ten years ago, that must have told you something." he ends his sentence with a sigh and back on the chart to write down some orders that they made for the patients they have visited.

Yeonhee is baffled for a few moments, she wants to say something about that but she doesn't want to offend him and makes things even worse with the words she says. And before she can say anything, Yixing opens his mouth again to say something.

"It's just that, I admit that I am not smart. I don't follow things as fast as normal people will do, it takes a little bit longer for me to understand something and run it in my head before I fully comprehend what you are, or everybody else is saying. Not to mention that I graduated from a nowhere university, it's not even on top-ten lists. We don't have an advanced training system because I was their first year. People don't usually see this as something to brag even though you're a doctor, I feel that I'm lucky enough to even graduate from that university."

Yeonhee dares herself to put her hand on his to give it a light tap, a friendly gesture that makes Yixing a bit flustered despite the simple physical contact. She has nothing else in mind besides the gesture. She never comforts people, to begin with, everyone around her is just, either too individual or too strong that they don't need her comfort. Even she never sees Sehun breaking down in front of her, in retrospect, she doesn't remember there's a moment in years she's known Sehun that they ever talked about his concern over a thing, not even his patients. And now that she has someone opening up to her like she's his best friend, Yeonhee really has no idea what to do to be honest, especially when she only knows Yixing for two days, or one and a half, to be precise. 

"Well, luckily we have a simulation lab here. We can all practice together; you, me, Baekhyun and Sejeong. We'll help each other." 

"Sure thing, thanks." the smile on Yixing's face is getting wider with the deeper of the dimple that makes its appearance again. He gets back into writing the patients' chart right away, with fewer questions but more to a discussion about the patients' case itself. And she's totally impressed seeing how Yixing's hard work is really worth the result because the families of the patients they visit are happy with the answers.

The first thing that Sehun teaches her about being a doctor is that she should know her patients better than anyone else on her service. She has to know not only their post-operation or hospital day, diet, and antibiotics, but also their current medications and labs. When they complete their morning tasks, Yeonhee takes Yixing to go through each of their patients to check their medication lists. She wants to make sure they are on their home medications, and check if any new culture results are available from the previous order. They check the final chest X-rays that radiology reads for radiographic studies that they've reviewed as a team and then read consult notes from other services. She teaches Yixing what she learns from Sehun (by referring to him as her 'mentor') of how to be organized and how this really helps them in making their work so much easier because they have their own system. 

"You don't have to memorize everything, but you should have your way of keep track of all patient information. It's important to restore everything that has the potential for being forgotten, that's why I always bring my recorder. Just in case... " she then shrugs while showing him the pen-shaped recorder on her chest pocket. Yixing nods in comprehension and writes down the things he needs to remember in his notes, telling himself that he may have to buy the same recorder that she has. Just in case.

As the day moves on, Yeonhee starts to realize that people treat her differently today. She suspects that the chief's remark about who she is has spread to the entire floor in the surgical department. She knows how big her mother's name is in this hospital, everyone respects her, and now they treat her with the same treatment once they know she is her child. She sees the nurses are no longer telling her to perform duties that are beneath her level of education, training, and dignity since the morning. There's no order to refill the supply boxes, no order to change the fluid's bag, no more rectal examination, or anything else. They even talk to her with a much more polite and friendly tone, too friendly even, that Yeonhee starts to feel uncomfortable.

Baekhyun and Soojung don't even stop tailing her since last night once they knew the truth. Everybody knows that her mother is famous with her prodigious techniques in suturing variation, and even has her own technique that only she can do. This makes 98% of the surgery that she's ever performed always came in success, even in the most difficult cases. Since she was a student in med school, people have been flocking around her to ask her to teach the techniques of her mother's secret. And this is actually one of the reasons why Yeonhee can't be friends with people easily. They approach her for a reason, there's always something to gain, and she's always been in the bad end.

"Look, Guys, I don't have anything that you've expected me to have. She never taught me anything about her techniques. I'm sorry I have to disappoint you, but the truth is, believe it or not, I don't know her secret. I can't help you with it."

She's really frustrated when she has to deal with this moment. She likes Baekhyun and Sejeong, they're fun people and she loves to be friends with them. But she can't help it if it's the only thing that they want for her. She really hates to disappoint them, but at the same time, she can't just give them what they want just because they want it. And that's why she's so thankful that her page goes off while she's trying to get out of this situation without being awkward to the others.

Piling her empty jjajangmyun's plate onto the other empty plates (they didn't get to eat anything because of the busy day, only have the chance to have their first meal on dinner and Baekhyun decides to order some Chinese food delivery at eight in the evening), Yeonhee reaches out her cellphone from her pants pocket as she walks out from the intern locker room to call back the floor nurse station.

"Hi, you paged me?" she greets whoever on the end line as she realizes the phone is connected.

"Yes, Doctor," the deep masculine voice answers her calmly, she doesn't recognize the voice so it seems like they never met before because of the different shift, "The patient, Mrs. Lee Misoo, she's having some shortness of breath, can you come down here?"

"Alright, I'll be there."

Yeonhee doesn't waste her time to go to the ward floor immediately. As she makes her way there, thoughts are running through her mind about things that can cause SOB. The CPU in her head is running to filter the folders containing the similar cases, she's wondering what she needs to do at the bedside, what she can give her, also the things that she doesn't want to miss because essentially the issues can kill her in a short period of time.

It's been too long since her last clinical rotation in med school and she almost can't remember that she has something like this before. A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter