018

Saving Lives, Saving Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Yeonhee can see the change in her father's face when he quickly reads her mother's journal also Chauffeur Park's letter. She deliberately comes to her father's house after work, finds both he and his wife are having dinner and refuses their offer to join them saying that she needs to talk to him. From her stepmother's uneasiness, Yeonhee can guess that her father already knew that she knows about Sehun, but when he puts the book and letter on the table in his home office, it seems that her father didn't suspect that she knows everything by now.

She watches him tapping the table with his forefinger, fixing his eyes anywhere else but her for a few moments. And during that time, Yeonhee doesn't let go of her gaze on the old man. She hates this really, she doesn't want to see him like this, but Yeonhee doesn't want to spend even a second to see how he reacts to this as he finds out that she's not that innocent girl she used to be anymore.

"Are you going to ever say anything?" she finally asks, breaking their silence with her question full of innuendo. She tries hard to keep controlling her voice, Yixing kept telling her not to lose her cool, and that's exactly one of the conditions he put forward if she wanted to meet his father.

"I have my reason, Yeonhee, you won't understand," he tells her, reasoning himself.

And Yeonhee can't help but scoff upon hearing this. She won't understand, he said? Of course, no one will ever understand his obsession with power. It's just beyond people's logic.

"No, I won't." she affirms, "You even made people sacrifice too many things to justify your reason. My mother's life, my driver's life, even my own. And then the happiness you have taken from Yixing, from Sehun, even from your own daughter. And do you even think that your wife is happy to see you like this? You might get what you want in the end, but you know? You will never be happy, because your life will only be filled with anxiety to get more, and you will never care even though that would mean more lives to sacrifice."

Her father sighs to her words. Yeonhee knows that in a way, her words pierce the space of his heart. She doesn't want to think too grandiose, but she hopes there is still a good side left in him. Something that holds him back from this hubris, something that makes him realize that family is still the only reason of a man's happiness.

But again, she could only hope, because what appears before her now, there's no guilt at all that is shown on her face. He always sees her as a child, there will never be a chance of him to take her seriously.

"This is how politics works, Yeonhee. You can't always have anything to be everything, there has to be a sacrifice. The more you lose, the more you gain. What do you even know about happiness? That's too abstract."

"I know enough to see that happiness doesn't come from getting what you don't have, it comes from appreciating what you do have." she divulges, "I know enough to see that happiness doesn't come from having money, fame or even power. Instead, it comes from good friends, family, and the quiet nobility in leading a good life."

"That's what poor people say..."

"You were poor before you married my mother!" she retorts, "Don't you get it? My mother loved you! She sacrificed her life to get you where you are right now, and you've been very disrespectful towards her all her life, and you can still say about the poor life? Have you no shame at all?"

"You're the one who's being disrespectful, I AM your father!!"

"Then act like one!!"

Yeonhee's breath gasps after a short series of yelling with her old man. She lost it, Yeonhee drops her head to lean it on her palm while her fingers massaging it. She promised Yixing not to lose her cool, but she just can't control it anymore. Not if she has to keep talking to this stone head.

Yeonhee doesn't want to mention her father's past actually, but after having this talk with the chief's wife, their conversation about this keeps concerning her. 

Though she knew that she's going to hear something like this from him, it still hurts to know that he sees her as nothing more than something to be sacrificed. People said that her father has changed, it hurts her to see that she never saw the better part of him when he used to be just Kim Seungwoo, before all the power and titles engulf him. He's been this greedy man since she was born, and that's so saddening.

"I'm not here to fight with you," Yeonhee starts to speak again after a moment of silence, "I'm here to tell you that I won't be part of your pathetic life anymore. I won't even bear your name anymore, this will be the last time I see you as part of the family. Our relationship ends here."

Her father scoffs as enjoying his mocking laugh to her. And feeling tired of this conversation, Yeonhee doesn't stay there long. She turns around to leave, but before she can step out of the room, her father's yell snaps her,

"If you come out of that door, I'll cross out your name as my heir! Let's see who will crawl to my doorstep and beg for my mercy when you live on the streets with that poor boyfriend of yours."

Yeonhee halts her step, "Oh, please do." she says as he turns around to respond to his declaration. "I don't need your money. You want me to return all the money you've spent on me? I will do that too. I prefer to live my poor life rather than be your child."

"You will regret this, Yeonhee..."

"No, I won't. I might be going to live in poor life, but at least I still have the people I love and that will be more than I can ask for. You're the one who will regret this." Ending her sentence, she immediately turns to leave. She holds the doorknob to yank it open, but before she does that, she feels the need to tell him her last message before leaving this place for good.

"I would appreciate it if you will never, in this lifetime, ever appear before me or Yixing anymore." and with that, she turns the knob and leaves the room immediately.

There is this small part of her which is rather sad when she steps down the long corridor to the first floor. This house is where she was raised, this is where she shared her past memories with her late mother, and maybe her father when he used to be a better man. But maybe because she doesn't remember any of that memory, she doesn't deplore her departure from this house.

Her decision is not something she took all night or anything. She thought about this for a long time, when her father published his marriage to his new woman, when Yeonhee thought that living in this house felt like hell with them, and at other times where she would rather spend her time in Sehun's condo. This incident is only as a hammer knocker, that it's just about the time.

Once down the stairs, Yeonhee intends to leave immediately but she finds Sehun's mother standing in the living room. The woman walks up to her seeing her at the bottom of the stairs, she looks so messed up. Yeonhee almost feels pity for her.

"Can we talk?" the woman requests.

Yeonhee nods right away, it's just coincidence that she also has a few things she wants to say to her. Without wasting more time, she follows the older woman to step out of the house. They walk away from the main house, cross the fountain in front of the garden and turn to the side of the house. And under the evening sky at the flowers garden, they stop, and that woman looks over her shoulder as if making sure that no one follows them before she begins to say,

"Is Sehun okay? I can't get through his phone. He changed the passcode of the door lock too, I couldn't get in."

Answering that question, Yeonhee nods lightly. She doesn't say anything about it, though.

"Thank you," Yeonhee hears her say again, "For taking care of him. I've heard from my guard that you spent the night at his place yesterday."

In normal situations, if Yeonhee hears that the woman sent someone to keep an eye on her or Sehun, she would flip out. It still upsets her though, knowing that the woman still has the audacity to tail on them after what she did, but she doesn't bother to question this.

"He's my brother, after all, we only have each other to hold on to." she tucks her hands on her jacket's pocket, looking away for a moment as she plays with the small tube woody in her right pocket.

"Look, there are some things I want to tell you, listen up," she starts to speak once she feels it's time to break it down to her.

The woman nods her head eagerly, knowing that it's exactly the first time that Yeonhee intends to start a conversation with her. The thin smile grows on her face, and Yeonhee can see that she's happy with it.

"Sehun is leaving, and this time, you're going to let him go," she tells her, whose face now turns pale with the new information. The smile is gone and it's replaced by a deep shock that left her gape. The woman is lost for words.

"You're going to tell him that he's free to go," she adds, "You're not going to hold him back, because, God's sake, you know it well, no matter how bad you've been treating him for years, he still listens to you because you're still his mother. So, you'll let him go, you hear me? Promise me you will."

The woman still looks so shocked by this notice that she doesn't give an answer in Yeonhee's order. But as she snaps at her to repeat after her with the 'I'll let him go' self-note, she walks up to her to slip the seal on her hand.

Yeonhee doesn't expect that she would get it back this morning. After handing it to Sehun, she thought Sehun would give it to his mother to exchange it for his freedom. But instead, he refuses to do it knowing that his mother won't allow him to leave this country. And Yeonhee can't let it happen.

And the woman is dumbstruck when she realizes what Yeonhee just gives her. Yeonhee decides to give her mother's seal to this woman, and even though she doesn't care what she will do to that seal, she hopes this woman will use it well.

"I entrust it to you. You can throw it away or you can give it to him, whatever, I don't care. But listen to this." her voice is firm and strong, she let the woman see that she's being serious and that she has to take this truth to her heart. "My father will never stop here. He is blinded by power and all this , and he is willing to sacrifice anything, and anyone, to get what he wants. My mother, me, Sehun, you can see it yourself. Do you think that he's going to love you forever?"

Drops of tears slip through that woman's eyes while Yeonhee's saying all this, and seeing her so frail, Yeonhee can't help to feel pity at her now. She's just a pathetic woman who's blindly in love with her pathetic father, she remembers Sehun told her that, and as a woman, she pities her because it's just relatable. The next thing she does, she steps forward closer to her to take her hand, it makes the woman flinch a bit with her gesture. It makes her cry more.

"I'm telling you this because you're my brother's mother, and because you love my father, please save him. You're the only one who can do this. For the first time in your life, please do something right. If you can't do it for yourself or my father, do it for Sehun. You owe him that the least."

Making sure that she has said everything she wants to say, Yeonhee gives the woman's hand a light squeeze before she pulls herself away and turns around to leave. She can hear her stepmother starts to tremble, and she gives in to her knees before she slumps into the floor and that woman's heartbreaking cry is the only thing she can hear as she runs away from the house.

Throwing herself into the passenger's seat in Yixing's car, Yeonhee shuts her eyes as she takes a deep breath and blows it out slowly. She's trying to control herself from crying, as she has promised herself that she's not going to cry over her parents anymore.

Yixing doesn't say anything with that. He takes her silence as the cue to leave, and he starts the engine before taking them away from there.

"Are you tired?" Yeonhee asks soon after they hit the main road.

"No, do you want to do something?"

"Yeah, let's catch some fresh air," she suggests, and Yixing doesn't need to think much to go by her wish.

 

 

"Is our first day at the hospital also the first time you found out I'm not dead?" Yeonhee pops the question while opening the beer can with an sshh sound.

They're having a night picnic at Banpo Park right now, sitting facing the Han river to watch the last show of the light sprinkle of water from the Moonlight Rainbow Fountain in Banpo bridge. Their delivery chicken order just arrived, and Yeonhee wastes no time to dig it in.

"No, I've known about it since long before," Yixing answers as he clangs his banana milk with Yeonhee's beer can and sips it in. "Do you remember this guy who claimed himself as your junior high friend in a subway station?"

Yeonhee nods, of course she remembers, it was h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter