007

Saving Lives, Saving Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Yeonhee gets one day-off after her 36-hour shift, and she has so many plans to do. She wakes up at six and finds Yixing left her a sticky note message at the fridge, telling her that he made a sandwich and she can have some if she wants. Of course, she won't refuse the offer, without thinking twice she takes one piece and finishes it quickly.

After taking a shower, she sits at her desk to write the all-do-list that needs to be done today. Some of them are doing some laundry, shopping for kitchen supplies, tidying up books—most of which are still stored in a box for two weeks since she moved in, and then several hours of study that she hopes done before dinner because she has some reality show episodes to catch up on Netflix today.

She starts her day quite early, which is not anything strange. She's actually a morning person, especially since she starts interning and has to wake up before four, it's just making a habit to her morning routine. Putting all her laundry into a huge tote bag, she gets out of the house at exactly seven o'clock to head on this 24-hour laundromat near the apartment. It's around four blocks and she walks there along with some people who are heading for the office. She has the earphones blocking her ears, listening to some K-pop songs that Sejeong has recommended her to listen to. Fifteen minutes later, she wastes no more time to load her laundry into the washing machine.

Taking a look at her watch, Yeonhee then takes out the battle equipment that she's carrying with her backpack from home. She puts the banana and strawberry smoothies that she made before leaving, also her laptop and iPad from her bag on the table. She has about 80 minutes and she decides to have some short study time for some material on coronary artery disease while waiting for her laundry to finish.

It's actually convenience to study like this, the laundromat is quiet because it's still very early, and she's the only person who's there. So she sits at a table on the side of the window to start reading some journals from the laptop while taking some notes on her iPad. This has been how she's always studied for years, the iPad that she has is quite old. Sehun bought it for her when she was accepted to med school four years ago, and since it's the early generation, it's no longer as fast as it used to be. Yeonhee is thinking of buying a new one but at the same time, she feels a little unwilling to replace it because it's Sehun's gift.

To think about it again, Sehun has given her so many gifts these past few years, especially since he started his year as a resident. She knows that he comes from a quite well-off family, but it seems like things don't really go well with their relationship. Sehun never really talks about his family, he doesn't like it when she asks about them. There's one time when someone came to his apartment to deliver a car key on his birthday, but Sehun immediately refused and told him to return the car to the sender. Maybe it's also because of the similar background that makes her feel that they are compatible with each other. She can just relate to his problem in somewhat way, whatever it is.

Her phone rings while she was thinking about it, and speaking of the devil, it's from Sehun.

"Where are you?" It's the first thing he says when she answers the phone, and he immediately hangs up the phone once she tells him where she is. It's about ten minutes later that she spots Sehun's Audi is parked across the street. She looks at her watch and watches him walking up to the laundromat through the window wall.

"Why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be in the hospital right now?" she asks as Sehun pulls up a chair across the table and sits on it.

"Good morning, you too," he answers instead, putting a paperback on top of the table. "I bought some Danish." he then takes one out from the bag for himself and takes another one out for her.

"What are you studying?"  he asks as he bites the Danish bread, and Yeonhee replies to him by flipping the computer screen to show it to him.

"You let Yixing have the morning rounds by himself? Isn't that too much now? He has so many things to do to cover your job already." Yeonhee has no idea why scolding him is the first thing she does in the morning.

She has kept this to herself for a long time, but she's already quite annoyed seeing Sehun's treatment of Yixing lately. He always calls it a form of skill learning, but Yeonhee sees it as a subtle kind of bullying, Yixing is just too kind to point that out. Plus Yeonhee never has the chance to talk about this because she hardly has time to visit him on his condo for the past few weeks, and having a private conversation at the hospital was just very unlikely since he was always surrounded by people.

"Chil out, I'm not the only cardio resident in rotation," he answers later on.

"You're not a 'cardio resident in rotation'. You're the specialist." she retorts.

"He will be fine. He won't kill a patient if I skip the rounds."

Eyebrows furrow, Yeonhee is a bit surprised to hear the answer. "Well, that's not what I meant. Of course he won't kill patients, but it's not about ..."

"Still, he'll be fine. You guys are interns, learning for even the most trivial things is an instinct for you. It may come handy sometimes, he'll thank me someday in the future instead. Aren't you a little biased here?"

She's biased, he says? He's the one who's ignoring her for days, he's the one who's being indifference, and now he says that he's biased? What is he thinking exactly? Why does he like to confuse her so much?

Yeonhee really can't understand him sometimes. They've just spent a nice time together a few weeks ago. Things have been feeling so easy and relaxed for so many months, and they even haven't fought or had a misunderstanding. Nothing seems amiss. And suddenly, without warning, he goes silent radio and shuts down. What frustrates her more, this is not the first time it has happened.

He's nothing but shrugs, one-word answers, and even ignoring her presence, acting like he doesn't hear what she says and making her repeat her words several times until he answers her. At times like this, she knows something feels off and she has no clue as to why or what she might have done. But she has a feeling that it's something about Yixing because it starts happening since they moved in.

She takes a deep breath. She doesn't want to start to think everything she's believing, because she is often disappointed with the reality that turns out to be far different from it. She has survived with his sudden change of mood for years, and she's getting used to it. Sadly.

"What's your next rotation?" Sehun asks a few moments later after Yeonhee decides not to say anything about his last accuse.

"Trauma." She looks up to give him a glance when she hears him scoff.

"Good luck, then. I hope you won't miss a day with cardio." and there goes with Sehun's famous smirk. Yeonhee is about to blurt another retort when he raises his hand to stop her from talking, "Anyway, I'm here to give you some rotation-end gift." 

Okay, she won't deny that it catches her attention. She raises her eyebrows to listen to him.

"I'll be having an artery bypass surgery, feel free to scrub in if you feel like it."

She widens her eyes. Did she hear it right? Did Sehun just invite her to assist him on a heart surgery? Like, really? because, yes! of course, she'd like it! She'd like it so much that she's lost for words, for being too happy and literally surprised. It's just really rare to have a chance to actually be in an OR as not-a-spectator when you're an intern, and it's a CABG, one of the hardcore surgeries. This is literally a rare chance, and Sehun just dropped it for her.

Wow, how can he do that to her? It's just not until a minute ago that he almost made her lose her cool and now he manages to get her all over him again? She just can't believe Oh Sehun, really. And he doesn't give her a chance to answer as he chuckles to see her reaction, he then taps her on top of her head and says,

"Tomorrow morning, 8 a.m. Come early to prep the patient, I'll have Yixing to fill you in with the history. Thank me later." he commands, a wide smile adorns his beautiful face as he rises and turns to leave the laundromat.

"Thanks, Sehun! I love—" he steps outside and raises one hand as a goodbye wave without even looking her back, and her tone just drops so much lower, "You very much." she finishes it to herself. And she sighs.

 

Despite the fact that Sehun just took her on a rollercoaster ride, she can't just deny that the gift is indeed exciting. She can't wait to tell Yixing how she's been expecting this to be so much fun, that she wishes the day just goes faster because it will be about nine more hours to see him home. 

Once at home, Yeonhee goes straight to her bedroom to clear up some of the boxes that have remained untouched since she moved. She thinks about taking care of her laundry later, because she always does that while watching some movies on Netflix, and she just knows that she'll be tempted to delay doing other things once she's in front of the TV.

She unpacks the boxes containing the books and series of study notes that she has packed into several folders by year, then arranged them on a bookshelf. She finds a set of CDs from his mother's legacy, with some video footage of surgeries in several large cases that had been performed, which she has kept at Sehun's house. She has watched some of them with Sehun, who claimed that he watched them live when he was a med school student.

This also made her realize the lack of her mother's influence in her life so far. She can't remember any of the moments where they had real human interactions for the past ten years. Her mother had been indifferent and awkward when she was still alive, their interactions were always through a letter and Christmas gift, then the legacy she got through Sehun as soon as she died. Yeonhee heard the news that her father had put a restraining order against her but she never knows what the reason was for. Her parents had not been in a civil relationship all of her life, and because of that, she has the same relationship with her father. She never stops thinking about how messed up her life is.

The time goes so fast when she enjoys her activity because when she finishes sorting things and tidying up the remaining boxes in her room, it's already five o'clock. She steps out of the house to go to the supermarket in the department store not far from her apartment, only one subway station away and a few meters of walking.

She buys some food that she can cook for a simple meal—just because she never has so much time to do the full meal cooking—like butter, strawberry jam for Yixing, she notices that it's his favorite and she finds that he runs out of it at the fridge. She also buys some bread, frozen blueberries and some other fruits for her smoothies, and many others.

The sky is dark when she leaves the department store, the subway begins to be filled with people coming home from work and she squeezes herself among the crowd. When she reaches the apartment complex, the security guard calls for her. He comes to tell her that Yixing just got so many package shipments and is still in the office and she promises him to pass the notification with a small thanks.

It's just coincident that Yixing is home when she finds his shoes by the doorstep, so she knocks on his door.

"Yixing, you got packages! They're on the security office." She calls out while dropping her bag on the couch and makes her way to the kitchen.

"Alright!" she heard him reply to her from inside his room and comes out about five minutes later to rush outside.

Once she puts her belongings back in her room and changes her clothes, she heads to the kitchen to cook dinner. She bough

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter