012

Saving Lives, Saving Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Yeonhee isn't a type to dream when she sleeps at night, but when she does, the dream is so livid that she can remember it for days. The thing about her dream is, it's always repetitive. The first time she dreamt about riding the carousel or sketching some rainbows, it didn't make sense for her since she never felt that she had done it in her life. But once she found out what happened to her, then she read in an article, that dreams are a representation of the memory; she started to think that these dreams are those things that happened in the past before the accident.

Last night, for the first time in years, she had a new dream. It's something that she's never seen before.

As she wakes up in the morning, Yeonhee spends a couple of minutes to stay in bed just to reminisce about the dream she just had. She thinks about how random the dream is, and what's actually the reason for that dream to appear only this time. In her dream, she saw someone (who seems to be she herself) drew some sharp edge lines up and down which she recognized as ECG waves.

She heard someone, whose voice she didn't recognize but sounded like a teenager, asking,

"What is that?"

Then she heard herself answer, "It's a heartbeat,"

The other kid asked her again with another question, "Whose heartbeat?" which she answered with one short word,

"Ours," and that's it, then everything faded.

Yeonhee was wondering what it was, and who's the one she's speaking to. It's actually the first time that her dream shows her the appearance of someone else in the past. Is this person important for her? She was thinking, maybe because she drew a twin heartbeat in her dream, and it must mean something. Or not?

The fact that she just had a new dream might tell her that her memory is making progress to consolidate the act of recalling. She has stopped hoping that she would gain her past memory back, especially when the neurologist who once treated her said that the chance for this to happen is less than 5%. Her brain is damaged, and she just had to let go of it to start anew. But despite everything, she can still peek through the pieces of it by her dreams that keep coming from time to time.

She stays on the bed for another fifteen minutes, just to stare at the ceiling and plays with her phone. 

She watches again the videos that Yixing sent to the intern group, and she can't stop smiling watching it. There are two versions of them, one version that Yeonhee is in it and which will only be their personal file, while the other one where she only shows up as her backside comes into view. Yixing asked her if it was okay to upload the edited version of the video because Yixing hadn't uploaded anything for almost two months, and he kind of needed something to stop her viewers from pestering him for a new video. And since she's not in it, or maybe only minimal of her was in it, she let him uploaded it so his viewers can enjoy it too.

It's not that Yeonhee is being secretive about her life, but three of her friends know this, that she dislikes having people's attention on her. She has been enjoying the heads turn every time she strolls around the hospital, having people talking about her parents and everything that relates to her family for the past month. Plus now it seems that Yixing's followers are starting to get curious about his female roommate that the few top comments on the video post are talking about which one of the two is the person they are referring to. Yeonhee finds it funny to see them making some guessing to even make a theory about who she really is, why she appears minimally in the video—even without showing her face, to the assumption that Yixing and she are actually dating. She shakes her head while thinking, maybe this is one of the reasons why she never has any social media accounts. All this attention, she's totally certain that she will never be able to stand it.

Back to the video, Yeonhee really likes the original version of it. Yixing took time to edit it, and she loves to see how happy they look while enjoying their short vacation with all the laughter and Yixing specifically chose as the highlight. He included some of the picture collages they took there, as well as a few conversations that Yixing recorded while they were chatting in between the queue or lunch and dinner break. But maybe her favorite is that scene where they danced with the street dancers.

Yixing edited the scene by slowing down the speed and replacing the background music with a mellow song that made it look so intense and deep. Especially with some captions that he deliberately put into the video, talking about the happiness and how important it is for him to be around his friends, the new people he got to know recently but feels like family. He thanked them in the video for the support that they've given during his struggle to catch up with everything in this new environment. Yeonhee could not stop feeling touched even though this was the umpteenth time she watched the video. Yixing is a very sweet guy, he never fails to impress her with his thoughtful words that show off his very mature side—it's not something that she sees every day since he tends to be fluffy and funny, mainly when Baekhyun is around, they're just the jokester couple. 

Yeonhee is scrolling down the comments section on Yixing's video and reading some of them when there's a knock on her door, 

"Yeonhee, are you still sleeping?" she hears Yixing asking.

"I'm up, come in."

Yixing opens the door slowly and pokes his head in, "Hey, uh, can I borrow your arm-band?" 

"Yeah, it's on the bookshelf, the second row from the top, please have it yourself." 

She moves to lay on her side and continues reading while Yixing steps inside her room to get the armband that he needs to borrow from the bookshelf. She takes a glance to see him looking for it and puts it immediately on his injured arm once he finds it.

"I didn't know you like to write a journal diary." 

Yeonhee turns sideway to see what he means about it, only to find that he holds her mother's diary. "No, I don't. That's my mom's." 

"Ah," seemingly feeling like he's being impudent to touch her mother's stuff, he immediately puts the book back on its original place. "So, have you got the answers?"

"Huh?" Yeonhee moves again to sit up and leans back to the headboard with Yixing now stands against the bookshelf. "What answers?"

"Those questions you've been asking for the past ten years. You said you got plenty, your mom's diary must have the answers for them, don't you think?" 

And Yeonhee is only silent for the remark, because, yes, of course, she has thought about it. There must be a reason why her mother left her diary as one of the legacies that she received after her death, there were so many times that Yeonhee was attempted to read it, but for some reason she never did. She has no idea what the exact reason is, but one of them is because she's not ready to see the truth if there's even any. So she tells him that.

"Well, I know it takes time to gather your courage to do it, but who knows what you'll find there. It might be something important, or it might be not. You have nothing to lose anyway." he ends his words with a casual smile and raising eyebrows before then he walks out of her room.

And for another couple of minutes, she stares at the specific spot where her mother's diary was put. Yixing's remark just reminds her about tons of mysteries that she finds them hard to unveil. All this time, she only heard the story from his father's side, while her mother never got the chance to explain anything, even in her Christmas letters. And Yixing is right, she has nothing to lose. That diary may contain nothing important, maybe it's just some of her mother's writings about her work, but it could be something too. Maybe she will find the answers to those things that she has stored inside her head for years, and for this one moment, she's thinking to read it, only to stop midway.

She freezes on the side of the bed, staring at the floor. Considering, considering, and waiting. And then she decides that maybe later, she wants to really gather up her courage to actually do this and reads the diary. So she slides off of her bed and walks out of her room to start her day. 

Today, as they had planned, Yeonhee stays home to help Yixing with his new video. What a coincidence with what happened to his hand, he still can't function his arm maximally that he needs help to grab on something heavy. Baekhyun comes about an hour after breakfast, and he assists him to set up the camera while Yeonhee helps to set the gifts that he's going to unbox.

Yixing wears his white sweater to hide his injury and sits on the couch after everything sets. They plan to record two videos today, so after this one is done, Yixing will sit with Baekhyun to answer the questions from his followers which he has given the night before through his Instagram account. She sits behind the camera with Baekhyun now, but it seems like Yixing is nervous with the presence of the two of them that he fails to say the opening greeting twice.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Can you guys not look at here? It's really distracting," he says in between his chuckle.

Watching him there, Yeonhee starts thinking about how he looks. For over a year he has managed his channel, Yixing always appeared in front of the camera with the same hairstyle. That is all down to hide his scar, and suddenly she wants to take some readjustment. And with that, she pulls off the hairband that ties her braids and tells Yixing to pause for a second.

"What are you doing?" Yixing catches her wrist when she reaches out of his hair.

"I'm styling your hair," she says as she gathers up his bangs and pushes them back to make a ponytail on the top of his head.

"No, Yeonhee, it's ugly," he whines while he realizes what she's doing in it and hides his scar with his hand.

"It looks good, Yixing, really. People will like this style much more," seeing that Yixing may lose his confidence with the scar issue, she turns around to seek for Baekhyun's support, who gives them a surprising hum after the knot done.

"It looks good, Xing, you look manlier." he holds his two thumbs up while Yeonhee gives him her 'I told you so' look.

It takes them a bit more time to convince Yixing that the new hair looks really good on him. Yeonhee doesn't mean anything bad other than a refreshment from his usual look. After all, he often had his bangs pushed up when he was in surgery, he's supposed to be used to showing his scar by now.

Yixing then asks for a mirror to see how he looks, but Yeonhee refuses, saying that it will be better if he only sees himself after the recording is done.

"You have to trust me. Do you think I'll let you embarrass yourself in front of your viewers?" she says once again as her last attempt to convince him, then he shakes his head, and he stops protesting.

Two more tries, Yixing finally manages to open the video this time. He says it's been almost two months since the last time he sat and spoke in front of the camera, even acknowledging that his friends are around that he feels a bit nervous now. Baekhyun can't stop commenting on how cute Yixing is several times.

They open eighteen packages that have piled up and Yixing hadn't been able to open since two months ago, and you could say they're all quite surprised to see what was inside. Some of the packages contain notes that say the gift sent is some belated gift of Yixing's birthday in October, and they can hardly believe how it seems that some of them love Yixing so much by pampering him with some expensive and limited edition gifts that usually celebs will receive from their fans.

Baekhyun is literally gawking once Yixing opens a box containing a purple 3M Littmann Master Cardiology Stethoscope from someone whose name is Mathilda. Seems like Yixing once shared his interest in Cardiology to his followers that someone has particularly sent him this. She recalls that Sehun has a similar one, but in different colors and series; this one is more expensive apparently, according to Google.

He also gets a winter scarf, which he gladly receives, and thanks to the sender as he honestly says that he is indeed thinking of buying a new scarf, but since he has got it now, he is very happy. A viewer then sends him a new iPad, which leaves both Baekhyun and Yeonhee stare at each other for the loyalty. And then two other purple stethoscopes (Yeonhee only found out then that Yixing's favorite color turns out to be purple seeing so many gifts with coming in that specific color), and since Yixing admits that he already had enough, he asks the senders permission in the video to give it to those who need it more, like the nurses and some EMT staff he knows from hospital.

They take a break to have lunch from some deliveries before they start another video recording. Yixing has told his followers that he will collaborate with Baekhyun, and since he has been doing some lives with him quite often on Instagram and posted some pictures with Baekhyun before, so he asked his followers to give them questions that they would answer on their video.

And Yeonhee is tasked with sorting out the questions and selects ten of them to be in the video. So she accesses Yixing's account through her iPad, then gives them the impromptu questions to answer.

Yeonhee has seen similar material that Yixing did in one of his previous videos. And she sees how different this time Yixing does it; if in the past he was more serious (maybe because he was alone) answering the questions that came in, now he is more lively doing it, especially when Baekhyun doesn't stop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter