001

Saving Lives, Saving Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

They say how you start the day will show how your whole day will go. Yeonhee never expects to start today by walking in the rain. It feels like a jinx because they don't usually end well. An in the medical world, raining when you are on the shift usually means more patients, and more patients mean more jobs to do, which means, that it's probably going to be a very long day before the shift ends. She actually never believes in superstition, but you can't deny that this often happens. She can't understand, why of all the day, the rain decides to pour today when this is supposed to her first day of being an intern in her surgical residency program at the hospital. And her socks are wet by now, God's sake, it's never a good sign, she hates to admit. She can only hope that the day will give her mercy and be less hard on her today.

The sky's still dark when she gets to the hospital. The traffic is quiet, showing that the city's busyness has not begun at this time. People are probably still on their bed, but as a surgeon, or surgery intern, even more, they always come to the hospital earlier than the others.

As she reaches the lobby, Yeonhee immediately checks herself in with the receptionist. This hospital is actually not a new place for her, she spent many of her days to cram at the view room to watch some cool surgeries when she was still a student in med school. But that's it, she already knows which way she has to take to get to OR's view room, but today she's here as a new intern, and she has no idea where to go.

"Hi, I'm the new intern in the surgical department?" she introduces herself to the receptionist woman, her tone sounds rather as a question than a statement.

The receptionist hints a ghostly smile as she's giving her a judging look, as if Yeonhee's lying about who she is, "Yes, and you're doctor...?" she asks back.

"Oh, it's Kim Yeonhee." she said formally, trying not to feel offended.

The woman asks her to wait while she checks on something on her computer screen. Yeonhee looks around while she's waiting for the receptionist woman to find whatever it is that she's trying to find. Her attention is distracted to see a guy reaches the receptionist. He's drenched by the rain that the water is literally dripping from his jacket. She turns her head to the other side of the hall when she hears the cleaning officer sighs loudly over the water droplets along the entrance as the guys made his way in. He rubs his face and bows lightly, apologizing. He meets her gaze slightly before speaking to the receptionist.

"Good morning, I'm here for the surgical department..." he says to the receptionist in such dialect that Yeonhee is pretty much sure he doesn't come from here. The guy looks at something at the side of the computer and points at it, "Oh, that's my ID tag." he says in a little too excited tone that she almost thinks that he's trying to be cute. But again, a doctor is not supposed to be cute, logically.

"Sure, Doctor Zhang." the receptionist woman gives him his ID tag with a wide smile on her face that makes Yeonhee raising her eyebrows. What's with the over-friendly smile? The woman didn't even look interested to talk to her a second before and it suddenly changes when the guy is on the frame. It's ridiculous.

"So, the intern locker room is on the second floor of the Surgical Department, that's the building on the west. You take the elevator, and from there you turn left. The room is at the end of the hall. And you'll be expected to seek for Dr. Kim Jongdae, that's the resident you've been assigned with, at the meeting room. That's on the third floor, the second room on the right." she then hands them an intern guide book and gives her an ID tag.

Yeonhee lays her eyes on it for a second, seeing her picture and name with a 'surgery'  is printed underneath her name and 'doctor' is highlighted in blue color with a bigger font at the bottom of the tag. She looks up when the receptionist, with her stupid wide smile as if she's just got hit by the Cupid's arrow, sends the guy off. Yes, only him, like she's invisible.

"Good luck Dr. Zhang, have a nice day!"

And Yeonhee doesn't want to be rude or anything, but she just can't help herself to let out a small scoff and shakes her head in disbelief as she turns away to leave the receptionist's desk. 

Following what the receptionist said, Yeonhee walks quickly while reading a complicated sign hanging on the ceiling to head to the surgical building. She gives it a glance back for a moment and finds the guy is following right behind her. He scratches his head as their eyes meet for the second time, and Yeonhee can't help but feel sorry for him. He definitely starts his day worse than her, seeing how wet he is right now. His hair sticks on his forehead and the water make a trail as he walks. He better has a new pair of shoes with him because if he doesn't, she can't say anything else but really pitying him.

"Hi, I'm Zhang Yixing. What's your name?" he tries to break the awkward silence while they're waiting for the elevator. 

Yeonhee glances sideways, "Kim Yeonhee," she answers him shortly and looks away. The elevator gives out a loud 'bing' sound when it opens its door. "Didn't get to see the weather forecast?" she asks when they are already inside the elevator a few moments later.

"It didn't even start raining when I left the house. I'm so stupid." he chuckles to himself and Yeonhee can't not notice the dimple that appears on the right side of his cheek, it's so deep that she's so tempted to stick her finger on it. "What a morning," he says, then he sighs a couple of seconds later, "I can't wait to see how great this intern year will do on me."

Yeonhee can't see if that's sarcasm or he's just being genuinely positive, but it's funny for her, so she smiles as she watches the panel above the door counting the number up. She's no longer trying to make a conversation. She's not really a people person, to be honest, she doesn't really good at talking to people she just met.

As the only child in her family, Yeonhee is used to be having no friends to hang out with. She had a good relationship with her peers back at school, but she didn't really have a real close friend that would annoy her every day to talk about boys and everything. When she got into the university, she was the type of student who studied all the time and went to the hospital to watch surgery at her weekend instead of hanging around with her human friends. How she wishes that she was more social back then, because she feels so lonely sometimes.

It's not like she doesn't want to have friends, she just didn't have the time to make ones. Even more, she's a little scared to get close to anyone because everyone that said "I'll always be here for you" left. Like, just gone. And a bad experience that she got in the past makes her realize that the only best friend that she needs is herself because she realizes how fake everyone is. So, no, she's not antisocial. She's not shy, she's just an introvert person. She likes to listen and observe more because that's how she gets to know more about how this world works, how people works.

And being with a stranger in an elevator is awkward—well, technically Yixing isn't really a stranger because they've exchanged their names already, but well, it's still awkward no matter what. Yeonhee thinks of starting a conversation, just to open up a bit more than she used to be because she honestly wants to have a friend here, but she just has no idea what to say. She looks up to the number panel above the door instead and count in her head, why does the elevator move so slowly by the way?

When they arrive at the intern room (which turns out to be co-ed, she is so disappointed because this is a kind of violation of privacy in her side, but of course, who is she to comment on this?). She's mentally thankful that she was thinking of bringing spare shoes to keep it in her locker because it is her best decision that she took this morning so far. She finds the set of blue scrub uniform with her name embroidered on her left chest, and as she slips it on to her head, feeling how fits it is on her, Yeonhee can't help but smile to herself.

"Hi, you're a surgical intern too? My name's Kim Sejong, what's yours?"

A light fairy voice chirps by her side and gets Yeonhee's attention in an instant. She turns sideways to face an angelic face of a girl with a happy wide smile reaching out for a handshake. She raises her hand to shake hers and gives out her name when another guy who introduces himself as Byun Baekhyun joining the conversation. 

"So, it's only four of us, I heard. It's extremely competitive to get it in here this year." Baekhyun says when they're talking about the admission process.

Geomdan Seoul Medical Center is indeed one of the biggest hospitals in the country, with 2,700 beds and over 7,000 staffers, an average of 12,000 out-patients, 2,600 in-patients and 230 emergency patients a day. It has been a pioneer of Western medicine in Korea in terms of world-class medical education, research, and patient care. And as the Most Respected Hospital in Korea for five consecutive years by the Korea Management Association, it's been a common secret that they've been really strict in filtering their medical staff. It's not easy to get the chance to work there, it's either you're extraordinary talented, or tremendously lucky.

Yeonhee's totally aware of how special these people are and she's excited to work with their skillful hands. So after Yixing comes out neatly from the common bathroom with a new dry set of clothes and scrubs, they immediately go to the meeting room to seek for this Kim Jongdae.

"Hello, Interns. Welcome to the gate of hell," The said resident greets them in front of the meeting room.

She has heard the story about Kim Jongdae before. As the fourth-year resident, he's famous as the human google. People are gripped by him for his photographic memory, that he can remember any of the details that he saw and read up to seven years ago. Knowing that they're going to be assigned under his guidance brings up her jovial mood. The guy is nice and seems dependable too, although a bit loud sometimes. He takes them to tour around the surgical floors, giving them some information about the intern obligation and stuff.

"Start your day with discharge papers, see if anyone is sober enough to go home. Then go have pre-morning rounds, check their vitals, tick some boxes on the chart, it's your job to present the patients' case and write all of the notes," he says while they're on the tour.

"I know some of you want to be a doctor because you want to save lives. But here's something to tell you," Jongdae stops walking and turns around to face them. Yonhee stops her step instantly for the sudden halt and that causes Yixing and Baekhyun to bump into each other and then to her back.

"Sorry," Yixing murmurs apologetically when she hisses and reaches her shoulder to ease the pain he caused her.

"We're not saviors," Jongdae continues without being affected by their small collision. "We're not here to be a hero. One thing that you must remember

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter