Chapter 9

Violet

(( Rest in peace Choi Jinri.

I am so sorry that people were so cruel to you. I am so sorry that their heartless words and vain hatred broke you down.

When I first got into Kpop, F(x) was one of the first groups I've found, and Sulli instantly caught my eye and became my bias. Despite everything that she's been through, the changes that happened in her life and the different activities she embarked on, she remained as one of my best role models.

She was a beautiful woman from inside and out. She was not afraid to stand for what she believed in, and always provide a moral and humane support for the right causes at the right times.
She did not deserve any of the baseless hostility people bashed against her, and I will never forgive those who spread hatred online. Not to her, and not anybody else. 

Your words carry weight, and it will be your responsibility to handle the consequences of what you choose to say.
If you can't be kind, be quiet.

You were loved, Choi Jinri. You will continue to be loved.

Rest in true peace now. Thank you. You've worked hard. ))
 

 

-----

 

 

Kyungsoo was beyond grateful for Chanyeol's understanding from the previous day. 

The two of them not only shared the deep sorrows in their hearts, but also an intimate closeness that bridged over those pained moments into an even more powerful bond than the one they had already developed by that point.

Getting to see Chanyeol's sadness, revealing the hurtful truth about the empire and the reason of his arrival to this island... Revealing just how much of an impact this fire island had on Kyungsoo's whole existence...

If visualized, their open exchange was similar to signing a contract. The tight hug at the end was their dignatures of approval.

Kyungsoo oddly missed that hug. He's not one for physical closeness, but that hug... With Chanyeol's warmth. His heart, his scent, his muscles... The way his long arms held Kyungsoo so tight that he felt more safe and secure than ever.

He hoped it was only the beginning of all of the things the two of them will be able to achieve. If they work hard enough, if they trust in one another enough, they will succeed in anything they set their minds to.

He didn't know if there will ever be a way for him to pay back, not only for all the bad he'd done, but for all the good Chanyeol has done for him.

The first step would be trying, though, right?

He woke up earlier than normal the next day, forcing himself out of the bed when he noticed the flower crown Chanyeol had made him was still resting on the shelf. The flowers weren't quite blooming any more, and the stems started to get dry.

If he knew then as much as he knows now about Chanyeol, he would have continued wearing that crown far longer before it started wilting down.

He silently passed by sleeping Chanyeol to exit their little room, and with the only piece of equipment he needed, his own self woven basket, he made it to the fields on his own and began picking the fruits he knew Chanyeol liked.

By the time he made it back to the room, Chanyeol was already awake. Sitting shirtless on his bed sleepily and rubbing his eyes and hair. Kyungsoo had to gather every force within his body to not just ogle Chanyeol's upper body.

Even when puffy and tired Chanyeol is still cute and handsome. His movements being slow and lazy only added to his adorable charm.

"Good morning."

Kyungsoo called out, standing at the door. Chanyeol was surprised, but yawned and shot back a small smile right after.

Without saying much else, Kyungsoo entered the room and placed his fruit filled basket on the shelf beside his old flower crown. It made a small 'thud' noise that managed to catch Chanyeol's attention.

"Did you pick those this morning...?" Chanyeol asked, the sleepy still in his voice. It's deeper, hoarse, and almost echoes in the room from how bassy it is. Kyungsoo simply nodded his head and pushed the basket closer to Chanyeol's side of the shelf.

"For me?"

Chanyeol's eyes widened just a little bit in surprise. Still puffy, hair still going everywhere unevenly. Every muscle in Kyungsoo's body was ready to pounce his friend and push him back in the bed with another hug like the one they've shared the previous day.

Kyungsoo is the last person to ever want to create any physical touch with another person. Even with the unit members, the people he loves and trusts most, it's difficult to push through the physical barrier and get closer.

However, he could see every little muscle on Chanyeol's upper body stretching or loosening with each movement, and he would be once again a liar if he'd deny wanting to touch them to feel what it's like.

Since when has he gotten so honest to himself about just how deeply Chanyeol's affecting him and his thinking process? Oh well. It's way too late to turn back now.

Kyungsoo nodded once more to answer Chanyeol, almost forgetting what the question was before he decided he cannot allow himself to be this desperate, and averted his eyes away from the inhumanly handsome being that is Chanyeol.

But by doing so, he didn't quite see what expressions or movements he made in reaction to his answer.

A chuckle spread in the room, and out of the sheer surprise, Kyungsoo turned to look at his friend once more anyway. Chanyeol just sat there with the basket on his lap and grinned with happiness. His bliss so bright it nearly blinded Kyungsoo into averting his eyes once more.

But Chanyeol caught him, and locked him in eye contact.

"Thank you. I've never had breakfast in bed before." Despite being hoarse and deep, his voice had a new softness to it, and Kyungsoo's heart began speeding up when he realize his action was what caused that smile across Chanyeol's lips.

"Come here, it's share it together."

Chanyeol gestured for Kyungsoo with his hand, and before he could think or allow himself the benefit of hesitation, his body already stood back up and led him to Chanyeol's bed. He settled down on top of the blanket in front of Chanyeol, and stared down at the basket as calmly as he could. Even though he could feel his eyes darting around a little.

The fruity breakfast was delicious. The company was more than pleasant. But once the peels were thrown away, Kyungsoo knew he cannot allow himself to be distracted like this for much longer.

He promised Chanyeol he will keep this island, and him, safe.

He's put this task off for long enough. Now it's time to take a stance and work on a plan to ensure that result.

 

 

After gethering his crew, Junmyeon, and Chanyeol, the group made their way up the spiral staircase of the tower and towards the large room of the Council of Radiance. A big discussion needed to be had.

They have to gather every thinking mind for the sake of concocting  a plan that'd allow their lives on the island to continue with no up and coming threats.

Altogehter, each one of those present at the meeting coming from Kyungsoo's crew, was able to provide a piece of information that was important for the different aspects needed to be taken into account with the plan.

As of this moment, there were no actual active threats to the safety of the island. So for the sake of preventing them from ever coming, they had to brainstorm together. Those who know where the trouble might come from, and those who have enough experience in life to give wise suggestions.

Eventually, a plan has been thought of, and written in careful stages thanks to Yixing's quick hands.

The plan will show enough of the island to the empire, and give all the evidence needed to make sure they will no longer be concieved as a dangerous piece of land and people. What they need, is hard physical evidence to show and convince the people in charge.

So it was decided that Kyungsoo and his crew, along with Junmyeon and Chanyeol, will give 'an offering of peace' to the empire.

He hoped that maybe if they will be able to showcase what the island is worth, the empire will realize that it'd be their loss to destroy such a place. That there are amazing things that the empire could learn from them, or even just making the empire think that the island would be beneficial for them in a finance way would be good.

It'd give legitimacy to allow the island the freedom they deserve after serving a thousand years of exile from the rest of the living world. Even if things might change. Even if there's a chance that Kyungsoo will no longer be allowed to return to it, or spend any more time there.

Even at the price of something precious and personal to him he wouldn't even hesitate to give that plan a green light.

 

 

The plan: Load everything good possible from the island onto the ship, get back to the empire, then come in front of the Commander in Chief and Emperor in a hearing in order to prove the island is a peaceful ground. And hopefully dismiss the last stage of the thousand years punishment.

 

 

And that's exactly what they began doing from the moment they parted ways with the council.

Junmyeon, Yixing, Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Jongin started gathering up various different objects and items from the island. Setting everything in carefully packed covers and listing it all down to make sure they bring a little bit of everything for proof.

Minseok, Jongdae, and Sehun returned to the ship immediately, starting to fill it with important functioning supplies, and making sure the engine and flight controls are still working as well as they should after sitting unused for over two months.

Kyungsoo joined the crew members on the ship, but not for the same reason.

He entered straight into the nook at the back of the ship, and sat himself down in front of the Talkie. In the rush of the moment, he grabbed the noteboook with the details of each communication channel, and immediately started turning the dials to set them correctly.

He finally has the solution. All they need to do is convince the empire that the fire island is safe and worthy of keeping that way, and the promise he made to Chanyeol will come true. The world really will change. 

 

 

"Private ID 061122 of The Imperial Earthen Rampart Subjugation Empire's Chief office messanger here, how can I help you? Over."

Kyungsoo almost felt relief when he recognized the voice of the young soldier coming from the device held to his ear.

"Private ID 610112, Do Kyungsoo, requesting connection to Commander in Chief. Over."

"A-Ah, yes, of course. Over."

Unexpectedly, the guy sounded a little flabbergasted. Like he truly was not expecting to hear anything more from Kyungsoo after the last time a connection to that line was made.

This time, Kyungsoo had to wait a little longer before being transferred to the correct communication channel. So he spent the time rethinking his words and intentions once more, attempting to gather some more confidence in himself about sharing the new genius peaceful plan.

A few strange clicks and static sounds came out from the device by his ear for a while, but he then heard a hard sounding click, signaling the opening of a channel.

"Commander in Chief here. Over." He finally heard his brother's voice, sounding awfully serious.

"Do Kyungsoo, captain of elimination operation SM fleet here. Over." Kyungsoo responded with just as serious of a tone for the sake of establishing his determination.

It felt really strange to Kyungsoo. Having to depend on his status as a high ranked soldier in the empire's military again, instead of... Well, just being a person.

"Oh my gem, Kyungsoo... It's so good to hear from you..."

His brother spoke with instant relief. He could hear the way all of the air escaped from his lungs and got refilled with a fresh mind as well.

"How have you been doing? The island still peaceful and nice? Over." A smile was definitely spread across his brother's lips. But the happy vibe he was trying to portray just didn't come out as genuine, and Kyungsoo was able to catch up on that.

"Seungsoo, I have good news." He began, trying to sound as confident as he could.

"My crew and I are coming back to the empire. We've thought of a plan that could solve everything without shedding any more blood."

Kyungsoo inhaled deeply, and visualized the written lines of the plan in front of him to put his own thinking process in order.

"We are now loading our ship with offerings of peace from the island and its people. Remember all of the amazing things I had told you about? We're bringing crops that don't exist in the empire. Colorful fruits and vegetables that smell and look like they came out of pieces of art. Hand carved tools like decorated bowls and utensils, even some baskets woven by hand. And most importatly... Historical records of the island. Things even I haven't heard of before."

He tried to remember everything that would be brought up to the ship once it's technical maintenance was done and completed successfully by Jongdae and Sehun.

"The island is worth keeping around, and if we manage to convince everyone of that with evidence, it wouldn't have to be destroyed. Right? Over." Now instead of confidence, Kyungso felt almost proud. His body was filled with hope as he is certain his brother would be glad to be presented with such a plan.

But there was no immediate answer. Or any reaction at all. He'd expect Seungsoo to at least sound surprised, or impressed, or show any sign of approval to the intentions, even if not the plan itself as a whole. 

 

 

"Kyungsoo..."

His brother's voice sounded everything but happy, or glad. Even without seeing his face Kyungsoo could tell he was frowning.

"I am sorry to tell you this, but... The news about the Branbers and the fire island being harmless and peaceful have already spread. Nobody here really knows how..."

Oh... Oh no. Kyungsoo's mind jumped right back to a few days ago, to the morning he granted Jongin's request by bringing him to the ship and allowing him to talk with Taemin.

The last thing he wanted was to express any distrust in Taemin... Considering he is a close friend to their entire unit beyond just being Jongin's most beloved person in existence. But what is he supposed to think?

As far as Kyungsoo knows, Jongin revealing the truth about the island to Taemin was the only other source of information that could spread out. Except for Taemin, only Seungsoo himself and the elite of the elite in the ruling and military compartments keeping the empire in tact knew of those details.

He hated it, but there still was a small rumble of anger bubbling inside of him. The recklessness of a single rookie soldier could be the downfall of this entire island. 

"All the plans we had began working on, with the same friendly narrative, had to be scrapped due to the crazy conflicts the extreme groups have caused once the information was at their disposal..." Seungsoo sighed heavily.

"I tried to find another way, and no final decision has been made yet... But you and I both know the emperor is easily influenced by whichever course of action that'd ensure his undoubted control of the people."

There was a pause, in which both Kyungsoo and Seungsoo knew they were thinking about the exact same thing.

"Look, as the Commander in Chief, I cannot give you the approval to go on the mission you're planning..." He exhaled with frustration. "But as your brother, as someone who believes that you chose the better side to fight for... I'm not going to tell you no."

Kyungsoo's eyes widened.

He knew his brother as a reasonable and smart person since the very beginning of his memories as a child, but the further and deeper he climbed up the ladder of military success, the more distance has been built between what's right to do in his heart, and what's told to be done by his mind.

This moment was one of the few instances Kyungsoo could feel that Seungsoo was taking a risk. He finally understood that Kyungsoo's goal was something larger than himself. And that at this point, there was no stopping him any more.

He didn't even sound like he wanted to stop Kyungsoo at all. This personal battle of Kyungsoo against the system has now turned into the collective battle between those who treasure life, and those who obsess with death.

Kyungsoo couldn't have been happier that Seungsoo had chosen to play for the team that believes in life.

"If you really want to do this, you better hurry." His brother spoke with what sounded like a hint of hope in his tone.

"Oh, and Kyungsoo, bring me one of those colorful fruits when you're here, ay? Over."

Kyungsoo's lips spread into a smile that was beyond his control to straighten down. Ah... He really wants Chanyeol to meet Seungsoo. The two of them are the only people that make his heart feel this much happiness. Different kinds of happiness, but happiness nonetheless.

He was still upset, and he knew he still had to find a way to deal with the fact that the information has been leaked to the people of the empire in one way or another. That puts their operation's success rate at an astonishing low by default, instead of a much higher chance.

But at least he knows he's got at least a little bit of support from above him in the hirarchy.

"I will. I'll get you the best ones. Thank you big brother. Over and out."

He placed down the two wired devices back in their spots on the Talkie's holder, slid the notebook back to the side pocket, and exhaled.

The burn of anger, disappointment and fear slowly taking over him from the inside.

 

 

Kyungsoo didn't want to make too big of a deal out of it. But he felt like letting this go would be too easy, and that just like he'd expect out of himself, he would want to be told if he did something wrong.

Without saying much to the three members working on a few different piping sections on the interior of the ship, Kyungsoo left it and strided his way through the sand towards the pile of items slowly getting larger each time one of the members brings another wrapped object to it.

"The empire knows."

He stated out loud. With a serious and assertive tone, a throwback to his strict captain days that have already passed.

Baekhyun and Junmyeon were in the middle of tying a few cloth packages. Chanyeol had just placed a wooden crate on the sand, Yixing was ticking off another item from the written list in his hand, and Jongin was holding a large basket of various green vegetables and herbs in his arms.

All of which were stopped, and all eyes turned to Kyungsoo immediately.

"The empire knows the truth about the island." Kyungsoo stated again, eyes bouncing from each of them, trying to gather the inner power to make eye contact with Jongin. Junmyeon's eyes went wide. It seems he understood exactly what that means. But the rest didn't react much.

"Weren't they supposed to know? You reported it to your brother and---" Baekhyun began a question.

"No. The people of the empire were not supposed to know that this island is safe. The Commander in Chief had told me the leak of the information had brought up large scale conflicts between the groups of residents on the islands..." He relayed with frustration.

"The military and the emperor had already began working on a peaceful plan... But due to the extemists raising their voice, it can no longer take place. The chances of our own mission succeeding have plummeted thanks to the leak."

Kyungsoo's eyes sharpened, and he finally garnered enough anger to not draw back from the stern and serious glare he had given Jongin. Who at that moment placed the basket down and turned to face him with as powerful of a resistant glare as Kyungsoo shot at him.

 

 

"Oh... Don't you dare---"

"Jongin, you were the only member of our crew that had shared this intricate classified information with a resident of the empire." Kyungsoo felt his muscles tense all over.

"You can't do this. You can't do this to me Kyungsoo. You Know that Taemin would never do such a thing. There is no way he was the one who caused this. I can't believe you even considered blaming him, let alone actually doing so---"

Jongin gestured around with his hands, the blackness of his eyes looked almost like it was glowing with anger.

"Who else could it possibly be?! The Commander in Chief knows better than all of us combined how to keep information secured. Nobody else but me, and a few days ago, you, had access to even using the Talkie at all!"

Kyungsoo stood firm in his spot in the sand. All the facts point towards only one suspect. This is bigger than just a fight between Jongin and Kyungsoo. The future of this island rests in their hands.

"You piece of !! You didn't even tell me any of what we learn here is considered 'Classified Information'!" Jongin started stomping in Kyungsoo's direction, mocking the statement with his voice. "How dare you accuse Taemin of doing something like this?!"

"It doesn't even matter who the person on the other side of the line would have been, it just happened to be Taemin. There was no other way for this information to spread, and you know yourself that this was the only other knowledgable source."

Kyungsoo continued arguing for his stance, standing strong and solid in the sand, even though Jongin made his way right in front of him with fists clenched in anger. He won't move. He won't stand down any more. He cannot afford to be scared.

"So you really think Taemin would do such a thing, Huh? He'd betray your trust... Hell, My trust, in him like that? You want me to tell everyone exactly how good Taemin is with keeping secrets?!"

Jongin's tone had changed from an angry one into a fueled threat. Sparks of black energy started forming around him, setting his silky smooth hair in strange static.

"Wait, please stop---" Yixing suddenly spoke, stepping forward a little, but his voice was low and he was too nervous to actually interrupt anything.

It seemed that their raised voices in the argument attracted the attention of the three crew members who worked on the ship's technical systems. Kyungsoo could hear Minseok's confused voice asking what was going on from behind him.

Chanyeol also seemed to be at a loss, and highly uncomfortable from the situation. It looked like he wanted to jump in and break the distance between them, but simply couldn't move.

What exactly was Jongin talking about, anyway? What secret does Taemin hold that gives Jongin this much confidence in basically blackmailing Kyungsoo into backing down. Not that it'd help.

"Should I tell everyone here about why you weren't forced to become a pilot just like every other Air Carrier? Should I tell them why you run out of air so easily? Why you cannot run faster than any of us like Sehun is able to?"

Jongin's voice was taunting, yet filled with anger and superiority. And Kyungsoo knew exactly what secret he's hinting towards with those indirect questions. Baekhyun too, stood up from his kneel by the basket concerned.

Kyungsoo's exterior hasn't changed even a bit, but on the inside he felt his heart being yanked outside of his chest from fear. His muscles froze and his mind went blank. 

Jongin... He knows. He knows that Kyungsoo is Lightless. That he doesn't have any gem powers... That he isn't a true Air Carrier like Sehun despite having the same eye color that all of the Air Carriers share.

"Hey!! Jongin, relax."

Baekhyun shouted assertively, stepping towards the two of them and plastering his palm with a smack against Jongin's arm. The impact with his skin made a slap sound occur and spread around.

Jongin gave Baekhyun a hard glare, the black energy sparks surrounding him started creating tiny cracks in the dimension of reality around him. But after looking at Kyungsoo's eyes once more, he shook his arm away and turned around with an arrogant but angry huff.

 

 

After a moment of stressful silence, Baekhyun turned to face Kyungsoo and grabbed him by the shoulders, shaking him out of the frozen shock he had fallen into. 

"Kyungsoo, hey. You okay?" His voice was concerned and serious.

Kyungsoo felt incredibly vulnerable and afraid. Was it selfish of him to suddenly be this scared from a threat that could affect him personally, even though he should be focusing on something so much more important than just his own safety?

All these years he was sure Baekhyun and him were able to flawlessly conceal their lack of powers with tricks, actions and other abilities that masked it with more impressive tasks fulfilled.

But now all of the sudden he learned that not only Jongin, but also Taemin are apparently aware of the fact that he is a Lightless?

Had he made a terrible mistake by coming so hard against Jongin like this?

Would it even matter whether or not he has any powers in their current situation?

In the empire he could lose credibility and be punished to be sent down to the surface of the cracked earth via the Dearthers he himself was in charge of before. But... Is he actually going to continue considering himself a part of the empire at all?

On this beautiful sunny island Kyungsoo would become a Teacher. And later on, a member of the Council of Radiance when he grows old. Older than Jongin will ever reach.

A loud and painful sting pierced through his heart by simply thinking such a thing. 

What is he doing? Why is he so angry? The situation at the empire cannot be changed from here... Why did he have to bring it up at all? Why did he have to fight with Jongin like this? He loves Jongin deeply, and trusts him with his life. Why'd he have to create this tension between them?

"Jongin, Kyungsoo... I am so sorry."

Yixing suddenly said, hands gripping tight to the papers he's holding, and eyes lowered down to the hot sand. His ashy blonde hair fell over his lime green eyes as well.

"Yixing... Wait..." Jongdae was unexpectedly the one to respond, looking nervous as he tries to catch a glimpse of Yixing's eyes. Wearing his mechanical gloves and holding a large metalic headset wrench in his hand.

"Please don't fight, this wasn't Taemin's fault." Yixing spoke again, intriguing the two upset individuals enough to turn to look at him.

"It was my fault. I did it... Kyungsoo, I'm sorry. For almost a month now I've asked Jongdae to bring me to the ship every single day..." He sighed heavily, and finally raised his head enough to make eye contact with him. "I reported everything I learned about the island to the rest of the Keepers in the written records unity chamber."

Baekhyun's hands released their hold on Kyungsoo's shoulders, and he stood motionless, as surprised as the rest of the crew, and looked at Yixing's trembling fingers.

"I knew it was a huge risk. I knew there was always a chance that somebody else would hear it and spread it outside of the Keepers' reach... But---How could I not?"

His fingers ceased shaking, and instead his grip and his expression turned tight and serious. Still a little wary, but more assertive regardless.

"None of us could have known that we'd be welcomed so kindly... None of us knew if or when the kindness will end, if it'd turn into something terrible. We couldn't have known we'd be safe here for long... And... If anything had happened to us... To me, the empire will never have known any of what we've come to learn."

"Yixing... You fought so much for the innocence of this island... Yet you too... Thought there's a chance they'd be bad...?" Baekhyun asked quietly, motionless, calm. Something very far from his usual active characteristics.

"I believed in what you said more than you believed it yourself." He added in disbelief. "So did I." Minseok added with a serious expression.

Yixing seemed to be taken aback by the two confessions. He shut his eyes and pressed a hand onto his head, intense emotions passing through him and different thoughts clearly clouding his thinking process.

 

 

The whole group fell into a tense and uncomfortable silence.

The sun's unforgiving heat shot at all of them from the clear skies above. The breeze could barely be felt due to their position near the village's gate that blocked a lot of the air flow.

Kyungsoo's mind was buried in so many different thoughts.

First of all, the doubts he has about his connection to the empire. Second, the fear of his Lightless identity being exposed outside of his own accord. Third... The fact that Yixing has been hiding his information exchange with the empire this whole time... Fourth, the mission at hand, which due to Yixing's actions, and not Taemin, now has a lower chance of success.

And fifth... Chanyeol. Who stood there frozen. Clueless, quiet, confused and afraid. He couldn't even imagine what he must be feeling, seeing the crew who promised to save him and his people breaking apart with so many secrets and lies.

This... This situation, this helplessness Chanyeol is feeling... That's exactly what Kyungsoo was afraid of. The world around this beautiful paradise island is cruel. It's cold. Unwelcoming. It's harsh and corrupt and filthy and controlled by terror and death. Judgement, violence and apathy are what makes life what it is wherever he'd look beyond the borders of this little land.

Kyungsoo knew this too, was a risk he had to take. He hoped that thanks to Chanyeol trusting him enough, he'd be able to maintain a relatively safe environment for him to remain in even when being exposed to the sorrow of reality around what he calls home.

He has to set his priorities straight.

There's no more time for him to waste in doubts and worries.

Seungsoo told him that if he believes in his plan, he should hurry, and Kyungsoo truly does want to believe that hard evidence would change the empire's perception of the fire island.

Kyungsoo must do something, must get the gears in motion again, and he has to do it now.

The silence heavy on all of them had lasted long enough.

 

 

"Yixing." He called out, no more anger had any place to stay inside of him.

"You've done what you thought was the right thing to do. And I think that if it had been brought to my attention before the act, a proper and agreeable form of information exchange could have happened without it being kept a secret." 

Yixing's eyes widened in surprise. A mix of relief and sadness washed over him, and he looked back down ashamed. Jongdae too, looked troubled and ashamed for being an accomplice in the situation.

It was almost unfair to admit, but knowing that Jongdae, the one who stood opposed to Yixing, the one who hated the island and took the longest behind Kyungsoo to get used to being a part of it, had changed the direction of his heart so much so to secretly sneak Yixing in the ship for the sake of preserving the history and essence of the island, made Kyungsoo even more confident that his choices were right.

Minseok gently rubbed Jongdae's arm reassuringly, and Baekhyun didn't shy away from stepping towards Yixing and the top of his head to comfort him.

"Junmyeon."

Junmyeon straightened up in surprise, considering he hasn't been a victim nor a wrong doer in either of the situations that caused this large clash of powers, he was caught off guard, and confused at the mention of his name,

"Thank you for showing me that being honest is the most valuable and noble trait a person can have." Kyungsoo spoke, refering to the evening in which Junmyeon had gathered enough courage to share the truth about his own ship's destruction, and the secrets the elders are hiding from the island residents.

"Sehun."

Similar to Junmyeon, he looked surprised, but unlike Junmyeon, his surprise immediately turned into a serious stare. Like he's bracing himself to be hit by something hard to handle.

"I am sorry for being the worst Air Carrier... By... Not being an Air Carrier." Kyungsoo felt the beat of his heart drum in his ears as he spoke. A part of him expected to see some of his crew members gasp, but nobody did. Only Jongin's shoulders slightly jerked. But he wouldn't know what face he's making, considering Jongin's back is all he can see.

At least he knew that even if everyone will turn against him, Baekhyun and Chanyeol already knew. And Chanyeol already accepted him as he is.

"I am a Lightless with no gem powers. I am simply lucky enough to have had my brother keep me safe and secured in the system."

He couldn't make eye contact with anyone. He couldn't bare the thought of having to look at anybody. But there was no way he could hold any of it back anymore. If there was any time to reveal everything that's been hidden, it is now. Kyungsoo felt his chest under pressure, and it became a little bit of a task to breathe.

"Me too!" Baekhyun called out, raising his hand in the air. He was confident though. His cyan eyes, similar to Minseok's switched from one person to another in their crew.

"I am a Lightless with no gem powers either. I am sorry, Minseok."

"I don't mind. You're still you, Baekhyun." Minseok responded immediately without hesitation, without leaving even a hint of doubt. He even did as much as dragging Jongdae with him towards Baekhyun in order to grab onto his hand and give him a final nod of reassurance. Yixing quickly secured Baekhyun's other free hand inside his own.

It was quiet again for a while. 

Kyungsoo felt a huge weight being lifted from his shoulders after finally revealing something that he had to keep a secret in order to stay alive, to the people who are now stuck with him as equals.

Similar to Chanyeol... There was only acceptance. No fears or curses, no degrading terms or anger. Junmyeon, along with the entire crew, simply accepted that fact about Baekhyun and him without resentment.

If anything, it almost felt like those with powers felt the need to prove their acceptance by doing more than simply nodding at the statement.

 

 

"Jonginie."

Kyungsoo's voice trembled a little at this one.

"I am sorry. I apologize for accusing Taemin, and you. I apologize for doubting you and putting you on the spot. Whether Taemin had done anything or not, it was unnecessary of me to bring any of this up. My lack of better judgement hurt you, and I am terribly sorry for causing you this harm."

Jongin's shoulders jerked once more, and for a moment of silence in reaction, Kyungsoo was preparing himself for the possibility that he will never be able to heal the wound he had caused. He'll never be able to lessen the emotional distance that opened between them.

But before he established the resolution with himself, Jongin's whole body turned around. His eyes were wet and glimmered with the light reflecting on the tears that filled them.

Without saying a word Jongin closed the gap between their bodies and wrapped Kyungsoo between his arms, hugging around him tighter than he's ever been hugged by Jongin.

A hug from Jongin wasn't such a rare occurance, but a hug like This, was a whole new experience.

He heard the Tele Carrier sniffle a few times, head buried into Kyungsoo's nook of the neck and shoulder while his whole body trembled. Jongin was probably afraid of his own behaviour as much as Kyungsoo was shocked from it.

"I'm--- Also sorry---... I didn't mean to force you---... To say all of that---... I'm sorry. Even if you have no powers--- I won't leave you, Kyungsoo, okay? I won't leave. I promise." Jongin's voice was shaking and some of the words he said got swallowed in the tears, but Kyungsoo didn't need to understand what he said at all.

He knew that it came out of Jongin's heart, and he was more than relieved that he wouldn't have to be afraid of any distance or disconnect happening between them.

Sehun too, without Kyungsoo noticing, had made his way towards them, and wrapped his long arms over their already tight hug as well.

"Don't think you're getting rid of me this easily." He claimed in a calm yet teasing tone and allowed his head to fall on top of Kyungsoo's head. Providing a small pause of relaxation in the tense atmosphere surrounding them all.

For a while, the hug felt really nice. Tight and warm and coming from two people that Kyungsoo considers closer than family. But he's not much of a touchy sentimentalist, and after a minute or so had to push himself free from the arms of the two biggest members in his 3X0 unit.

While Jongin kept quietly sniffling and wiping his eyes and nose, with the comfort of Sehun and Junmyeon both providing warmth to stay attached to, Kyungsoo turned to face the one person who made all of this heartfelt reveal of truths possible.

 

 

"Chanyeol."

Kyungsoo's eyes were still a little damp from the emotional relief of the end of the dispute with Jongin.

"I am sorry that you had to see this... But I am even more sorry in advance." He began talking, getting the quiet attention of everyone once again.

"Chanyeol... The world outside of this island is dark. It is cruel, and violent. It is unforgiving, and cold. It's terrible and scary out there... And you will have to see, feel, hear, and experience it yourself as well." Kyungsoo's eyes lowered to the ground. 

"I just..." Kyungsoo felt his throat choke up and his eyes heat with new tears. "Want you to know that I plan on keeping my promise to you. Even if it will hurt me. Even if it will hurt you--- I will... I will change the world."

Even before Kyungsoo finished his words, Chanyeol, in an almost panicked manner, rushed to stand in front of him. Two large warm palms were placed on Kyungsoo's sides of the face and jaw, then carefully made his head rise upwards.

Chanyeol's face was right there, large yet calm eyes staring right into his own. The small yet confident smile curving Chanyeol's lips, the softness of the tips of his fingeers the front of his cheeks, the soothing shine in the redness of his eyes... All of those allowed Kyungsoo to finally fully exhale and clear out his lungs.

"I'm not afraid."

He said in his deep calm voice, and that was everything it took for Kyungsoo to ease back down into calmness.

Instead of pulling away, Kyungsoo touched the back of Chanyeol's hands and shut his eyes with a sigh of gratitude. Even without saying anything at all, it seemed that Chanyeol understood his wordless intentions.

Fingertips one last time over Kyungsoo's cheeks before Chanyeol pulled his hands back and ran only one of them over Kyungsoo's head with a smile. Eventually he stood back, and little by little, the sharp and heavy shards of stress faded away, leaving the atmosphere of the group clear once more.

 

 

Several hours have passed. Not much else has been said about everything that's been poured out into the air earlier. If anything, it felt like the energy has risen because of it. Something about the way they looked at each other, addressed each other, or even spoke to one another, was a little different. For the entire group.

It felt a little like the first time Kyungsoo had given his unit the first stage of their freedom on the island.

Where they began treating each other without any formality, without any attempt at satisfying anyone or fulfilling an order, but rather... As just people.

They were all just people. Equal, united, and stronger than ever before, people.

"Even if we change only one person's mind about the island, and that person truly believes us, then it's a win."

Baekhyun stated knowingly while helping Minseok carry one of the crates up the stairs and into the ship's central space. Their journey back to the empire is going to be more than crowded with all of this new luggage.

"Are you sure you'll be able to get us back there...?" Junmyeon cautiously asked Sehun, who was already seated at the open cockpit and adjusting a few buttons and dials to fit with the new added weight the ship will have to carry.

He was leaning down near Sehun's face from behind the fairly large pilot seat and staring at all of the buttons worriedly.

"In our last mission together I had to fly a whole big metal container. I've got this."

Sehun reminded the other with a teasing shrug, then moved in and planted a kiss on Junmyeon's cheek. Surprising the Water Carrier into a warm smile.

"You've got this." Junmyeon replied with a nod. Now satisfied with the stats.

"That's right." Sehun smiled as well, and directed his attention back to the flight board in front of him.

While everyone were busy piling up in secured and stable rope ties, the rest of the 'offering' that'll arrive to the empire once they finish their journey back, Kyungsoo felt like the winds have changed.

He was so afraid of doing anything for anybody's sake before... But now, with everyone believing the same goal and working together in order to achieve it, he could tell that their efforts wouldn't go in vain.

They will succeed.

They will convince the elite of the empire that the fire island is safe, peaceful, beautiful. They will show that there is no reason to be afraid anymore, because there is no attack threatening to come against the empire.

They will be able to allow the empire to finally see the sun, the sky, the view of everything around them, because there will be no need for the Water Carriers to continue creating a rainy and grey weather of protection around the empire islands.

They will be able to keep Chanyeol and the rest of the Wonder Souls, Teachers, and council members safe.

Kyungsoo could feel it in his bones.

Until he heard the light dingle of a bell coming from the back of the ship. From the nook with the one and only Talkie on board. The signal of an incoming communication channel request to connect.