Chapter 2

Violet

 

The night after the big argument between Yixing and Jongdae had arrived. Painting the bright blue skies in shades of pink, orange and red, until finally the sun sunk under the horizon and the purpley darkness took over. Disrupted solely by the barely visible stars.

The crew split into two groups in order to occupy the two small sleeping chambers at the back of the ship. Normally their arrangement would have been different, but after the big confrontation, the forces needed to be separated.

Kyungsoo was thankful when Baekhyun suggested he'd switch with Minseok, so that he could spend the night in the chamber with Yixing and comfort him. So while Baekhyun, Yixing, Jongin and Sehun occupied one chamber of bunkbeds, Kyungsoo joined the other one.

When he did, the atmosphere was fairly calm, as Minseok was tidying the sleeping spaces for each of the members, and there was no further conversation about the subject of controversy when the electric lights turned off.

Only several minutes after falling into the pre-sleeping bodily state of slumber, Kyungsoo started hearing bits of exchanges between Jongdae and Minseok who share the chamber with him.

Kyungsoo himself was on the lower bunk of one bed alone, Jongdae was on the lower bunk of the other, and Minseok was above Jongdae. 

They were talking quietly, their voices sleepy and concerned.

"...--- but don't you think that there was a reason the Branbers are banished and destined for their final punishment? I think the people a thousand years ago knew that they were dangerous enough to keep them exiled... Otherwise why would the empire be ready for such dangers to come all these years...?"

It was Jongdae. It seems that the subject still bothers him deeply. It's something Kyungsoo never really knew Jongdae had such strong emotions for. Being one of the least violent people Kyungsoo ever knew, it surprised him to hear Jongdae's stance on the matter of their mission earlier.

"It's been centuries since... Time changes things. You aren't even the same person you were before we boarded this ship... And you think a thousand years wouldn't change anything?"

Minseok replied in a quiet voice. He sounded calm, stable, and serious. It was a good point too.

Time changes a lot of things. Especially people.

Kyungsoo wonders how the empire lands would have looked now, if it wasn't for the constant fear of the strike that might come from the Branbers. Would they have been able to see the sun more often? Would they have lived in the jungles by the mountains, instead of within the ground?

He started getting lost in thoughts for a while, all while Jongdae, understandably, couldn't really give a good answer to Minseok.

"Yixing has always been a dreamer... But just because he gave an inspirational speech on trying to find a peaceful plan, doesn't mean my view on reality has changed."

Jongdae finally responded, not with mock or anger, rather an unexpected stubbornness.

"It's either our children's future, or theirs. When our next generation grows up... I want them to be able to see the sunlight. To walk on the surface of the island without fearing for their lives. Without having to carry a weapon..." He continued, quieter than before.

"I know. I would love for that to be true, too." Minseok responded in a warm tone. Kyungsoo could hear him shift on the mattress.

"Good night, Jongdae. Everybody deserves a brighter future." He concluded softly, receiving and a gentle hum in response from below.

Everybody deserves a brighter future... A future...

These words echo in Kyungsoo's consciousness. The reason they even have to share these bunk beds on this ship tonight is because they were sent on a mission to... Erase the future. Prevent the future of a whole society from existing.

What is he supposed to do? Being the one put in charge of a whole fleet of soldiers ready to bloody their hands and suffer the guilt for the rest of their lives, so that their own future will be better, can he really take that path away from them by choosing to not follow the orders?

Is he willing to possibly risk the safety of his whole nation for the slim chance of a peaceful alternative process taking place and maybe failing?

Maybe his brother really did send him on this mission to pay a price.

 

 

The crew awakened at dawn. Seeing the sun rising in the sky was a rare sight even for the soldiers sent for outer-island missions, but they all peacefully sat with their rations of breakfasts, and watched it happen through the cockpit's front of the ship.

They've crossed one night out of the two on their journey to the supposed location of the fire gem's island.

The sound of the engine churning underneath the belly of the ship, the flow of the air traveling along the surface of the ship's exterior, and the quiet calm chatters of the crew throughout the journey of the second day were very welcomed.

Kyungsoo felt relieved that compared to yesterday, everyone seemed to be in a relaxed state. Yixing and Jongdae are able to sit together in the same group, even if they aren't talking directly to one another.

As instructed, at some point in the latter half of the second day of the journey, Kyungsoo knew that he had to update his brother with the progress of the travel, and if there is any other important information to share.

So when the crew were all minding their own business, Kyungsoo made his way into the corridor at the back of the ship. While at the very end of it and to the right were the doors to the sleeping chambers, on the left side was an open archway into a small nook of the ship.

At the center of that nook, right by the slightly angled wall of the ship's exterior and the wall barrying the sleeping chamber, stood a large metalic machine. Table-like, but with a back shelf in size, and a chair in front of it too.

Kyungsoo sat down and glanced behind him, making sure none of his crew members followed him to this little area. Since the passage is open towards the corridor, he could only hope that if he speaks quiet enough, none of them would hear him from the ship's main seating area, where they are all located currently.

He sighed to himself, then faced the large device. It's cubed in shape, has a small screen at the front with many different numbers, scales and needles that are connected to dials right underneath. Several thin pipes, cables, and wires are connecting from different spots around it.

At the center of the table-like little space in front of the dials and screens, stands a metalic electro candlestick-like shaped holder, to which connects a cup shaped metalic object by a curled wire.

Right next to that on the standing holder, rests a similar yet differently shaped cup-like device connected by a different wire into the machine's front. In the dim light of the corner nook, Kyungsoo felt pretty secretive.

This device, installed in every single one of the empire's ships of all kinds, is a special interactive machine labled as Talky. It allows people to communicate with one another between the different ships, landing docks, and flight towers in each one of the empire's islands. Some, like the one installed in Kyungsoo's ship, are able to connect into direct empire offices too. All in the same electronic system under the military's supervision. 

This radio device was created by a genius Electro Carrier almost forty years ago, and once the technology was proven to work, it became mandatory for every empire vehicle to be equipped with it.

Kyungsoo opened up a small handbook that was resting in a side dent of the machine that looks like a pocket. After flipping through the many pages of hand written instructions on how to help the machine function, he reached a long detailed list of numbers and symbols to insert via the dials that affect the screen.

Each of the destinations on the list are connected to a different aircraft, base, or tower. But knowing that this information will be exchanged with the Commander in Chief himself, he didn't even have to search. It was first on the list.

Concentrated, Kyungsoo began fiddling with the dials, turning different switches on and off, turning the needles on the screen left or right, until finally he could tell the symbols and numbers on the device matched those drawn in the handbook, that should connect him to his brother's very own communication channel.

He placed the handbook down on the shelf, grabbed the left cup-shaped device towards his ear, and the right cup-shaped device towards his lips.

 

 

Through the one placed against his ear, he could hear crackling sounds of white noise, and a few beeps as well, until finally there was a click and a voice answered.

"Private ID 061122 of The Imperial Earthen Rampart Subjugation Empire's Chief office messanger here, how can I help you? Over."

It was a man's voice. A soldier that must be very new in the system, judging by how young their voice sounded. Must be his brother's new office secretary. Kyungsoo pressed the button located at the bottom of the holder's base in order to speak.

"Private ID 610112, Do Kyungsoo, requesting connection to Commander in Chief. Over."

The other side of the connection went quiet. He heard a few taps, clicks and the ticking of dials being turned. Then everything went silent. Ah... When he left the empire islands on his ship, he was sure he knew what he was doing, why he was doing it, and what will happen when he's done.

But after hearing how adamant Yixing has been about his alternative course of action that doesn't require any active bloodshed by anybody, Kyungsoo's heart wavered his confidence. And he is feeling a subtle hint of doubt regarding this whole operation's purpose and rational.

He waited for several minutes, until finally another sound was heard from the device held to his ear. A crackling, a little bit of white noise, and a few clicks.

"Commander in Chief here. Over." His brother's voice sounded awfully serious.

"Do Kyungsoo, captain of elimination operation SM fleet here. Over." Kyungsoo responded with just as serious of a tone.

"Ohhh! Kyungsoo! Oh, I'm so glad to hear from you. How is the journey going so far? Did you encounter anything yet? Over."

Kyungsoo was a little surprised from just how cheery the voice coming from Seungsoo sounded. But he was immediately relieved that he wouldn't have to act all tough and serious while talking to his own brother. It's a privilege no other soldier has.

"Everything is in order. We have enough supplies, the ships are doing good. There are just... Some conflicts. Over."

"Conflicts? What do you mean? Over."

Kyungsoo's eyes lower, now staring at the shelf where he placed the handbook of instructions and numbers instead of at the screen.

"Seungsoo... Do we... Really have to kill all of them...? Do we really have to destroy their island...? Our Keeper, Yixing... He started talking about how he and other Keepers had a different plan, a peaceful one, for this operation at first. He said there is a way to solve this without destroying anything. Over."

"Your Keeper, huh..." His brother began, sounding interested, like he's starting to contemplate something. "Kyungsoo, I know this task is hard. I know it might have been selfish of me to assign you to command on such a tough act. But I've never been contacted about a peaceful option. If the Keepers had it upon themselves, by the time it got to me there was only the intent of... Well, your mission. Over."

Kyungsoo sighed lightly. He knew well enough that this is exactly the answer he'll receive. His brother is smart enough, experienced enough, and has just enough heart to make the best decision when it counts.

Kyungsoo shouldn't have doubted him. If he received a certain order from above his own rank of being the Commander in Chief, it means he had put enough thought into creating the best course of action to achieve the goal under the circumstances he was given.

"Yes... I understand. Over."

Was all he could reply. There's no point in debating this in his own mind any longer. The decision isn't even his to make. He's just a pawn sent into action. For his own sake of course, because it'll promise him years of security in the empire.

"Kyungsoo... I would also like to remind you that, you know... You're on your way to the last place Junmyeon has been contacted with at. Whoever those Branbers are, you know he wouldn't just disappear on his own accord. They must have done something to him." Seungsoo spoke again, sounding a little quiet, a little gentle.

"I know that Junmyeon was your good friend. In fact... I chose Sehun as your pilot exactly because of the connection the two of them had. I thought he deserved this. The operation, what you are doing... It could be his only chance to say goodbye. Over."

Suddenly Kyungsoo realized that indeed, Sehun coming to this mission could give him the confirmation he needed to be aware of, in order to know that Junmyeon is... Or well, might be, gone. Forever.

Having a Commander in Chief as a brother means that the Commander in Chief knows all of Kyungsoo's secrets. All of his friends, all of his problems, all of his struggles. And Kyungsoo truly, couldn't have asked for a better brother. 

Even when being thrown into situations that are challenging for him to go through, he knows for a fact that there is a reason behind it. There is something that he will achieve by following the orders and trusting his only living family member.

Seungsoo is so thoughtful, he made sure that the person closest to Junmyeon in the world, Sehun, will be able to get the resolve regarding his... Going missing situation. Anyone who knows either of the two of them, also knows that they are inseperable. Connected beyond just the general closeness of good friends.

The two share so much of everything good. Affection, respect, honesty, and... Love.

Sending Sehun on this mission will give him the proof he needs to be able to let go for the last time. Disclosure. If Junmyeon really has been killed by the Branbers... Sehun will be free from his own implamented cage of stubborn patience and hope.

"If Junmyeon's last living signal came from near the island... It couldn't have been a mistake. right...? Over."

Kyungsoo asked, head lowered with an unexplained sense of humility, and a small yet deep sadness within him.

"You knew him as a person better than I did." Seungsoo replied, an attempt of comfort, Kyungsoo could tell. "Sometimes there is no easy way out. Sometimes on the path to a better future you have to step on thorns. I know you can do it. And I promise I will make it worth it when you're back. Over."

His brother really knows his way with words. Kyungsoo feels weirdly empowered. He feels confident, encouraged. More than he's felt when he started the journey.

This is a job he was given for a purpose. Whatever happens, he will give Sehun the resolution he deserves about Junmyeon. He will rid the world of the Branbers and the fire gem, and bring peace to the empire cooped up at the grounds of mountains and scary dark clouds.

"Thank you, Seungsoo. I will do Junmyeon and you proud. Over."

"I believe you would, little brother. I'll be waiting for your next update. Make sure you don't stay in the sun for too long. Over."

Kyungsoo could hear his brother was smiling as he spoke, and it spread a warm sensation of clamness through his limbs and torso. He misses his brother already, and hopes that when the terrors are done, his brother will be there to welcome him back with open arms.

After a long exhale to clear his lungs from the slight stress of the conversation, Kyungsoo placed the two pieces of the communication device back on the holder, slid the handbook back into the side pocket, and turned a few of the dials around at random just to make sure he won't be leaving an unnecessary trace.

 

 

He stood up, making sure the machine was left in proper order, then turned to leave the little nook, only to find he wasn't alone at all.

Jongdae stood right there, arms crossed, shoulder leaning against the wall, and Kyungsoo felt like he has been caught red handed. How much did he hear? Did Kyungsoo disclose any important information?

Jongdae looked like he was fuming.

"So... Captain," He said in a mocking tone, but without a smile,  and detached himself from leaning against the wall. Kyungsoo's mind began running with endless possibilities of what in the conversation could have gotten Jongdae this unsettled. 

"Junmyeon's last living signal. Huh?" Came loud and clear out of his mouth.

Of course... Of course it would be Junmyeon. Kyungsoo felt his body stiffening with stress, heart pounding fast but cold. He felt like the blood was being drained from his body.

"Jongdae...---"

"Don't." He raised his hand up in dismissal. "Jongdae me." His teeth gritted.

"Tell me the truth Kyungsoo." His eyes were so sharp and intense, even yesterday during Jongdae's confrontation with Yixing he didn't look this scary. "Actually, scratch it, tell US the truth, Kyungsoo." He said, stepping backwards and letting Kyungsoo peek ahead.

Right where everybody sat before, they were all still seated, except all their eyes directed at Kyungsoo. Sehun standing beside them instead of in the open cockpit. 

Their expressions were filled with curiousity, confusion, and concern. Except for Sehun, whose face had nothing on it. Nothing other than immense distrust, and cold anger.

 

 

"What was it about Junmyeon, Captain?"

Jongin spoke first. His voice just as worried as he looked. He sat on the edge of his seat, a hand on top of Minseok's palm located on his knee. Kyungsoo could look at him, but he definitely couldn't make eye contact with Minseok at the moment.

With a heavy heart, Kyungsoo followed Jongdae's guided hand gestures towards the center of the ship, where they were all sitting uneasy. He sighed, feeling that his own facial expression is stiff and sharp.

"Sehun, everyone, I am sorry. I was told to keep this information out of this until the very last moment. But I was a fool to think I would be able to hide anything from the only people who can actually read me." He began, standing still and straight, albeit his head lowered with shame and worry.

"A while ago, Junmyeon was sent on a mission. You all remember that. He couldn't tell us what it was, but he promised he will when he returns. I guess now there's no need to keep it a secret anymore..." He has to do this.

"Junmyeon has been sent by the Commander in Chief to observe and later take down the fire gem's island and its people. As you all know, especially after yesterday..." Kyungsoo gave a short glance in Jongdae and Yixing's direction.

"Through the entire length of the mission, Junmyeon kept in contact with a Keeper of a different island. To make sure the information really is kept private. However... His reports never included information about the island at all. Apparently, according to the Keeper who was in contact with him, Junmyeon kept reporting that there was no island at all. That they kept flying in circles around the location without finding it."

Kyungsoo hates explaining things, talking a lot and relaying information. He's terrified that in such intricate situations like now, he'd mess up, forget to mention something, and create a bigger issue.

But everyone's faces seemed to have lost even the bit of anger residing in them, and the air was tense with concern.

"It went on like that for weeks, until... He was given the order to cancel the observation, and instead get to the second part of the plan, taking down the island. He was sent on the strongest, biggest, ship we had. The only one of its kind that could carry tons of ammunition. So the mission wasn't impossible for him to complete." Kyungsoo inhales, then exhales slowly, having difficulty himself, as he knows what he is about to say next.

"However, after confirming he received the order, he... was gone. There were no more signals coming from his ship. No more Talkies communication. No response. He and his crew just vanished."

"If those Branbers did something to Junmyeon I swear on the gems I'd shoot every single one of them myself." Jongdae claimed through his teeth. Clenched fists by the sides of his tense body.

Normally, Kyungsoo would have been worried to see such behaviour coming from Jongdae. But considering the circumstances, he almost agrees. Almost.

 

 

The atmosphere in the room took a turn. From having the feeling that his own crew doesn't trust him, it felt like the temperature was rising. Like there is some force of energy being shared between them that is filled with fury.

"Nobody knows what happened. Other ships were sent in an attempt to retrieve information, but they all returned without a sign of the ship, or an island. Completely empty handed." Kyungsoo's body didn't move at all, even though he felt like he needs to place a hand on his chest to calm himself down a little.

"It was speculated that the Branbers had something to do with the disappearance... That is why we are here." He turned to look up at Sehun's face, and got his heart aching at the sight.

Sehun was... Completely overwhelmed. He's never seen him like that. His face had such intense emotions showing that Kyungsoo felt like he was about to burst in tears himself. Fear, confusion, anger, agony, anxiety, stress... Anything that he expected, but intensified and multiplied, all on the poor guy's face.

He couldn't even imagine what sort of chaos is spinning through the rest of his body at this moment.

"Sehun... I am so sorry."

Other than Kyungsoo, Minseok, and Jongin, who were looking at Sehun with careful attention, everyone else's gazes were pointed to the floor. It took a few moments, but eventually Sehun gulped heavily, and with large steps, rushed to one of the sleeping chambers, shutting the door behind him.

Jongin was biting down on his lip and trembling, before standing up and entering after Sehun. Kyungsoo could hear a variety of sounds coming from that room, but he knows he would lose himself if he knew what they were, so he blocked them out of his aknowledgement.

The thrumming of the engine and the wind hitting the ship's exterior were defeaning. And awkward.

"What if---... What if this isn't what happened. What if it wasn't the Branbers' fault." Yixing mumbled out into the air. 

Sometimes Kyungsoo wished Yixing had better tact. Because out of all possible times, this is not the right one to say it.

"Yixin---" He started in an attempt to not draw attention to it.

"Are you still living in your pretty little fantasy? STILL?! Even after hearing that your own friend is gone because of these s?!" Jongdae responded immediately, true anger in his voice this time.

"No--- I mean, if that is the case, then I would have to pay for it twice as much, but maybe it isn't. What if it wasn't them---"

"What on the cracked earth else can it even be?!" Jongdae was impatianly growing more and more furious. The lightbulbs around the seating area began flickering with electrical sparks.

"Jongdae, Yixing, stop this. Not now---" Baekhyun attempted to cease the crossfire before it'd turn into war.

"Accidents happen all the time. Ships can fall apart, break, malfunction. If Junmyeon reported that he hasn't even seen an island at all, we cannot know what really happened." Yixing would never give up on getting his point across. 

Kyungsoo didn't even think about that possibility himself. But orders are orders. And at this point, there is no longer doubt in his heart about following the command and finishing his job.

Jongdae and Yixing kept exchanging angrier and louder arguments of 'What If's for a while longer. It is tiring to hear, and awfully timed considering the part of the information Kyungsoo had disclosed, that is related to them personally, Junmyeon.

But it didn't stop them. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo couldn't stop them either. And Minseok just sat there in heavy silence, internally struggling to choose whether or not he should mourn the loss of his best friend or not.

 

 

The crew was in shambles that night. Kyungsoo had checked on Sehun only to find him swollen and red faced, sleeping in exhaustion on his wet pillow. 

Jongdae and Yixing were not exactly at war, but rather in a state of anxiety overall. Each of them with their own reasoning and belief, and both of them possibly correct.

Kyungsoo knew though, that unlike Jongdae, whose belief is going to be acted upon by the goal of their operation, Yixing will never get to see the result of his own arguments. He will never get to see what could happen if the fire gem will be reunited with the rest of the gems.

For Yixing, this is the very final chance.

After his argument with Jongdae the previous day, he admitted that one of the reasons he didn't even hesitate coming on this operation, was because he though this will be his opportunity to redeem himself. Himself and the rest of the Keepers who have worked so hard on a bloodless plan, yet were denied to bring it to action.

This two and a half days journey to the fire island was Yixing's final grasp at being able to persuade Kyungsoo in a different direction. To influence him into changing history as a whole.

In his mind, Kyungsoo can hear Jongdae mocking Yixing, calling him 'a pretty soul' in a degrading manner, yet... Yixing really does have a pretty soul. It's not an accident or blind foolishness that pushes him into standing on his hind legs to fight for his claims. Yixing is a keeper. Probably the only one within the crew who has the most knowledge about anything related to the fire gem's people.

Despite being shot down by the harsh reality surrounding them, Yixing still genuinely and truly believes that violence is not the answer. And deep down, Kyungsoo knows that even Jongdae wants to believe that. Maybe he does already. But the reality is, that there is nothing they can do to change it anyway.

And the hardest part about it all, is the fact that before this operation was even announced, Yixing and Jongdae have been growing possibly as close to one another as they've ever been to anyone in their lives. If Minseok and Junmyeon were considered best friends, Yixing and Jongdae were close candidates for the title.

Now they are torn and battered from the confrontations.

 

 

Kyungsoo doesn't know how he managed to get even a minute of sleep after the intense emotional struggles their crew has gone through in the short days of their journey.

But today, in less than an hour, they will be reaching Junmyeon's last sign. And from that point on, if they do manage to find the island, they won't have the luxury to hesitate with the guns in their hands.

In order for the plan to take place, they need to find the island first, and they have no idea what to expect of it at all. At least he hopes everyone will follow his orders from before their departure.

Once the island will be in sight, he will give the tactical orders to the fleet, then to his own crew. He's feeling increasingly nervous as time passes. A strange knot locks his stomach in a tight grip that makes him nauseous.

As their destination nears, the crew had already began preparing the ship and themselves for the misson to end the suffering of a thousand years, maybe.

Compared to the way the previous day had ended, today the crew were quiet. And serious. And determined. Although Sehun's eyes are puffy and tinted red, understandably, he still skillfully manages to menuever the ship in the exact correct path. Starting the long turn that was marked on the skymap as Junmyeon's ship last taken path before disappearing.

Beside him, not Jongdae, but Yixing sits now. The Keeper of the crew who needs to have the best view in order to keep his records as accurate as possible on the papers. He's been writing a lot ever since the morning.

Jongdae, their genius mechanic, remains at the back of the ship near the engine and the weaponry. Jongdae's job would be taking care of anything technical that needs to happen with the machinary of the guns and ammunition. However, Kyungsoo knows that he'd be the first jump up into the machine gun firing booth when they have clear sight on the target. At least he won't complain about having to arm a normal rifle instead.

Each member of the crew received a rifle and six stacks of cartridges. They all know their positions, their goal, the fact that it might be something they'll regret for the rest of their lives... But they're going through it together. And knowing that, is definitely providing even a little bit of comfort.

At last, they've arrived at their last known position. The exact coordinates in which Junmyeon had vanished from. Kyungsoo had gone to the little nook of the Talkie, so that he could properly give the orders to his fleet in the communication device installed in every ship. The tactics and plans were all clear in his head. He took every possible scenario into consideration, and thought of a good stratedy to finish their job fast.

Once done, he returned to the general space of the ship, his stomach stiff with nerves.

Sehun seemed to be on high alert, again, understandably. It looked like he was trying to find the remains of Junmyeon's ship through the glass front of the ship, and Kyungsoo wouldn't stop him from doing that.

 

 

"Unit 3X0, Attention."

He called out, standing at the middle of the ship, with the soldiers who aren't occupied with any equipment or tasks in front of him in a row. Which were only Minseok, Baekhyun, and Jongin. But the rest did turn their heads to listen from their own positions, as they should.

"There's nothing I could say to make this easier for any of us. So I'm skipping that and going straight to the point."

Kyungsoo began his briefing to his crew, explaining the sequence of stages they'll have to cross in order to complete their mission as efficiently as possible. He finished easily, speaking with few words that leave his crew understanding everything just fine.

After he finished, he turned towards Yixing and Sehun with his whole body, and bowed down.

"I am sorry, Sehun. And I am sorry, Yixing. I know you tried to give this chance your whole. I know that all of us would rather have had a peaceful command to follow. But we don't. I hope this moment you're writing into our history will teach the future a lesson."

He exclaimed loud and clear, remained in the bow for several more moments, and finally rose back to stand up straight. Sehun's eyes were averted sideways, but Yixing was looking directly back at him with a hesitant smile. Both of them had pained expressions on their faces. Kyungsoo knew deep down, that the reasons his friends are in pain are his fault in one way or another. He will take it.

"Unit 3X0, Let's do this and go back home." He stated in a hopeful tone, and freed them from their attentive stance as soldiers under his command.

With everyone's eyes out to spot their target, they continued to circle in the area of Junmyeon's last coordinates, trying to spot even a glimpse of what could be considered an island in the sky. It's not horribly cloudy, and the clouds themselves are nearly transparent as is, so it shouldn't be that hard to find. The bright light from the direct sun should make it easy.

Yet it still doesn't appear.

Until it does.

Baekhyun managed to spot a hint of a red dot in the distance. 

Now it all begins.

 

 

-----

 

 

With the island seen for real, Kyungsoo knew there was no turning back.

Something deep inside him had hoped that maybe Junmyeon's reports of not finding any island at all, mean that the island is simply already gone. And that just like Yixing suggested, another accident had brought him to his demise.

But spotting the island fairly easily, and within the vicinity of Junmyeon's last seen location, after he had given reports of scanning the whole area thoroughly... Sounds either awfully suspicious of him, or that maybe the Branbers on the island are too dangerous to be dealt with.

Either way, Kyungsoo's crew is not alone on this. They have a whole fleet flying with them in a tactical formation.

The Talkie device at the back of the ship being set to output its signal directly to all of the fleet's ships at the same time, made it easier for Kyungsoo to take the control and command them in real time if it'd be necessary.

Sehun skillfully changed their flight direction straight towards the island. After passing a few clouds in the path, the view had cleared, and all seven of them could see the island growing bigger as they approach.

The outline started taking shape, it's a very small island, colored in yellow and little spots of green. Underneath it, like a cone coming out of the bottom of the island, there's the crystal-like shape of the sharp edged fire gem etched into it. It almost looks like the gem is glowing, yet it is hard to tell since the island is floating right under the sun.

Kyungsoo's breathing pattern sped up a little. He felt eager to finish his mission quickly in order to get rid of having done it at all, and at the same time he felt like he just wants to turn them all back and ignore the existence of this fire island for another thousand years cycle.

Right ahead of him, sitting at one of the cockpit's two seats, Yixing has began writing and scribbling at a speed almost inhumane. Glancing down at the papers, Kyungsoo could see Yixing is writing every single detail he is able to see about the island. Along with sketching its general shape and describing the colors to fit.

However, when Kyungsoo raised his head back to the front, to watch the distance shorten between his ship at the island, something strange began happening.

Although the skies were clear and the sun was shining brightly onto the island until now, suddenly new clouds began to form around the island at impossible speed.

"This--- This is not natural, right? There's no way."

Baekhyun called from beside him, all seven pairs of eyes examining the newly formed clouds in surprise. Not only did the clouds just form out of nothing, they also began wrapping the island within them like a blanket. Starting to look like a large greying cotton ball with no hint of an island anymore.

It looks magical, is the island going to just vanish? Turn invisible? Are they gone? Are they able to teleport their island to different places according to their will? Maybe Junmyeon's reports did make sense...

Though... The look of this cloud ball was uncomfortably familiar. Fire people... They... They cannot control the skies and the weather like other gem Carriers... Right?

Because now, being covered with these clouds, Kyungsoo could swear it looks identical to their very beloved own empire islands. All these years the empire islands have been under the protection of a thick clouds veil in order to deny visibility to unknowing eyes. And this... Looks just like the same technique has been used to create the same effect.

The strange expressions being exchanged between the crew members standing at the front of the ship are muted, yet loud enough to raise the same sensation of fear and unease in them all.

Kyungsoo exhaled dryly, then headed to the Talkie at the nook in the back, and began giving his new adjusted orders of action to the rest of the fleet. With a clear vision, things would have been done much faster and easier, but since that won't be happening anymore, the plans had to be slightly altered to fit the new unexpected condition.

 

 

Finally, after several more minutes of flight, Kyungsoo approves on advancement, and Sehun pilots their ship into the ball of clouds. One would expect such heavy looking clouds to rain, but surprisingly, despite being thick and wet themselves, nothing else seems to be wet. There are no drops falling from them.

"Positions!"

Kyungsoo commands loudly at the moment he begins seeing shapes appearing through the clouds. Baekhyun and Jongin rush to the left side of the ship with the rifles in their arms. Baekhyun presses lengthly on a button at the side of the wall, which gradually opens up a fairly thin viewing window on the side of the ship. Like a slip from which he and Jongin could see and shoot.

Kyungsoo and Minseok, on the right side, do the same thing, and aim their weapons to the front. Hot wind and residue of wetness from the clouds brushing past their course, sticks to Kyungsoo's face even through the thin crack opened at the side of the ship.

Moments later, they've arrived.

The island, although slightly darker now with no sun crossing beyond the clouds, stands still, and on it he can start making shapes of people standing and staring up at the sky. 

At them. 

He cannot risk this. If the fire people begin attacking first, who knows what will fall upon their fleet.

"Steady...!"

He calls out, Sehun adjusts his speed and angle to fit into the fleet's entire formation, and his hand raises up bit by bit towards a handle located beside him, hanging from the ceiling of the ship.

"Ready...!"

Kyungsoo prepares his crew, and himself, to the inevitable death they're about to commence. Sehun's palm now grabbed the handle firmly, and while paying close attention to Kyungsoo's instructions, he was also staring down at the island with intent.

The people coming into vision on the island are starting to sense that something is about to happen too, as it's easy to see some of them are making their way towards places that look sheltered.

"FIRE!!"

 

 

Kyungsoo's finger pulled the trigger just as Sehun pulled down on the handle by his seat. A loud sound of a single noted siren pierced through everyone's ears. Through the entire sky surrounding the island. Loud enough so that all ten ships of the fleet could get their signal to shoot.

The siren blared for about three seconds before Sehun let go of the handle. Yet it was nowhere near silence when the tone was gone.

Only the horrible, terrifying constant fast paced booms of each shot barreling out of their rifles echoed between the clouds.

And even louder, scarier booms from the top machine gun located on the hood of their ship, which as expected, Jongdae had already jumped into to occupy.

The effect of their rain of ammunition down on the island was immediate. Right as they began shooting, Kyungsoo could see bodies starting to fall. The yellow ground started getting painted in red splatters. 

He was convinced that he will feel nervous, or scared, but while committing the act, Kyungsoo simply couldn't think of anything at all.

He was sure seeing the people fall dead by his own hands would make him feel pain, or sadness, maybe regret, anything, really, for that matter. But he doesn't feel a thing. His mind is blank, he doesn't even know if his heart is beating at all. The loud shots surrounding him prevent him from hearing anything other than the thundering bullets. With each shot he takes, the weapon s back against his body in recoil, making it impossible to try and identify his very own pulse.

One would think the trained soldiers being sent out to such an important mission would have had experience with becoming a wave of death onto others. But the 3X0 unit never truly had to kill a single person before.

The storm of deathly bullets continues crashing against the whole front of the island, and yet... Kyungsoo found it strange that they haven't been hit back. Nobody turned against them. No flame, no weapons, nothing. Only the faint screams of people being messacred, layered under the thick weapon scary static.

It was weird. It was suspicious, and unexpected. It made Kyungsoo feel unsettled. Like he was suddenly brought out of his own brain's induced action-mode, and realized that something about this definitely is wrong. His trigger finger began shaking. Too weak to pull all the way and release another shot.

Beside him Minseok was flawlessly shooting down at the island without an issue. Behind him on the left side of the ship Baekhyun and Jongin were doing the same. At the hood above Jongdae was going wild with the machine gun, and Kyungsoo knew that Yixing's ink was starting to run low from just how much and how fast he was writing everything.

Something is wrong. Or is it?

There is no resistance. Which makes their job a whole lot less complicated than he had anticipated. But it also gives them too much of an easy access to proceed with their mission. Technically, he'd say this is the best case scenario he couldn't even imagine happening, and yet... Why does it feel so wrong?

Seeing the bodies fall on the ground lifeless, watching the destruction with his own two eyes is just... Wrong.

 

 

Suddenly, while Kyungsoo was just enough distracted to lower his weapon's aim from his next target, a loud roar suddenly echoed through the sky. Although no soldier was instructed to cease fire, it seemed like not only his crew, but the entire fleet froze for a moment.

Then, out and above from the top of the biggest and tallest structure on the island, came a flame larger than anything Kyungsoo has seen in his life.

Shot upwards and around in a circle towards the clouds, a blinding flame in a color mix of white, red, orange and yellow. It seemed that it wasn't only Kyungsoo who couldn't believe his eyes, but the rest of his crew also. Everybody's eyes were so wide they reflected the bright flame right back.

A faint voice coming from the island started shouting something, and it sort of put everyone back on the edge.

But then another flame was shot up in the air, this time even larger than the previous one. It circled above the structure into the sky, and Kyungsoo was shocked to find that as a result, the clouds around the island began evaporating and fading away, out of existence.

A flame so hot it can make such heavy clouds vanish...? Could they really be the dangerous people his brother suggested they were?

It slowly decreased in side then, leading the eyes of the entire fleet back towards the flame's source. A man standing on top of what looks like a tower and staring right back at all of the ships.

The voice that began calling out before, now a little louder, started to sound like it's forming actual words.

"...---top... Stop...!"

Huh? Is he hearing this right?

"...Stop! Cease fire...! Please...!"

Kyungsoo's eyes widened in surprise. Do they... Know the military terms of the empire...? But how...?

The man from on top of the tower, stepped back, and then ran forward, off from the edge. Making Kyungsoo and his crew believe that he would splatter on the ground on impact. But instead, he landed on the ground which seems to be unexpectedly soft unharmed. And stood straight up again, eyes back to the ships flanking the island.

"Stop firing...!"

The voice repeated, but it didn't come from the man who flamed the clouds away. In fact, that voice strikes a familiar bell in Kyungsoo's ears. 

However, he didn't have much time to hear further than that, as Jongdae, manning the machine gun on top of the ship began shooting again, his shock must have sunk quicker due to his fury.

No, this is wrong. How can he shoot? There's no way he didn't hear the pleas.

Kyungsoo slid his weapon back into the ship, put it on safety mode in a hurry, and rushed towards the machine gun's booth at the back of the ship.

"Jongdae, STOP!" He commanded sharply, then threw himself against the Talkie in the nook. Hastily grabbing the two pieces of communication equipment from their holder and pressing the button to speak.

"Cease fire! I repeat, stop firing!"

He rushed back to the front of the ship, where all of his crew members were glancing down at the island through, and watched.

A shadow of another person appeared from underneath one of the structures. And in a hurried run, came out to the light, stopping beside the tall man who lit up the sky, and flailing his arms.

Kyungsoo wouldn't have thought anything of that, except... The man was wearing the empire's military uniform. Fully clothed, boots, tags, and all. What is that supposed to mean...?

 

 

"...yeon...?"

Sehun, with barely a whisper, broke the tense silence. Yeon...? Could it really be...?

"Junmyeon...? Junmyeon?!"

His voice this time was no longer hesitant. Sehun was convinced that the man standing on the island was none other than Junmyeon.

Trying to fight back his own possibly false hopes, Kyungsoo did his very best to examine the man. The distance to the island was still fairly large, and it was difficult to call out any specific details about the man. Let alone identify him. But with Sehun's body shaking this terribly on the pilot's seat, Kyungsoo couldn't deny the possibility.

If anybody would be able to recognize Junmyeon from this distance, it could only be Sehun. But even so, taking any action about it alone still has a chance of putting them at risk.

Glancing over to Yixing, seated beside Sehun at the front, Kyungsoo saw just how many pages he had already filled. A whole pile of them was resting on the floor of the ship next to his little writing shelf, and his right hand was still moving restlessly across the paper to write more, with more enthusiasm he has seen him write anything in years.

Without saying a word, Kyungsoo hurried back to the Talkie nook once more, and instructed five of his fleet's ships to land on the island together with his crew and gather the island's living people into a watched space. The rest of the fleet will continue circling around the island ready to fire on command.

He returned to the front of the ship, followed by Jongdae, who by now understood the plans have changed.

"Sehun, land us."

"What the Kyungsoo?" Jongdae responded immediately, but Kyungsoo just gave him a sharp glance, and the other shut his lips and frowned.

It didn't take any convincing at all for Sehun to instantly fly the ship down to the ground in a hurry.

With the clouds surrounding the island now gone, the sun had made its return, blasting a hot light down straight at the island and the surrounding. The yellow ground of the island, despite being dyed in red stains and riddled with bodies of the victims killed at Kyungsoo's command, was beautiful. And new.

The ship was shaking and trembling lightly in the air the closer it came to the island, Kyungsoo sensed the air around Sehun twirling subtly with excitement, with bliss, with hope. And indeed, the further they approached, the features of the man in uniform became clear.

It was Junmyeon. No doubt.

He stood there with his arms in the air, eyes big and blue and expecting.

Nobody could utter a word. Upon recognition, Baekhyun gasped lightly and covered his mouth in shock, Jongin's eyes watered with a wide emotional smile as he began Sehun's shoulder, and Yixing had only sped up his documenting process on the leather pages even more.

After careful menuevering, their ship finally landed on the surface of the island, and nothing happened. They didn't explode, they didn't go aflame, they just... Landed.

At the moment they were in full contact with the ground, Sehun turned back in his seat and looked up at Kyungsoo who was standing behind him eagerly. Eyes shimmering brightly and body as straight as an arrow ready to bounce.

All he needed was to nod, for Sehun to bolt out of his seat and dash out of the ship, running straight ahead and into surprised, smiling Junmyeon's wide open arms.

The crew stood inside and watched how the two wrapped around each other in excitement. With tears in their eyes and smiles pure and wide. Sehun's arms tightened around Junmyeon's waist, while he cupped Sehun's face and wiped his tears away with his thumbs, grinning blissfully up at the face of his loved one.

They exchanged a few words, but the crew couldn't hear it from inside the ship, they could only see them kissing softly and affectionately right after. And at that point, Kyungsoo's attention had shifted towards the tall man standing beside them. The one who lit the sky on fire and put out the clouds.

 

 

He was taller than Kyungsoo thought he was initially. Being sure he'd match Sehun, Kyungsoo was susprised that when standing next to him, the darker unknown man was still taller. 

His dark skin was glistening in the light, kissed by the sun, his eyes bright red like the color of the gem Kyungsoo saw was attached to the bottom of the island when first spotted from the ship. His red tinted brown hair looked clean, yet messy. Curled and wilder than Minseok's, but a little longer, and slightly uneven.

Kyungsoo's usual sight of other people surrounding him includes mostly the exact same military uniform, looking slightly differently shaped on each person, adorned with slightly different tags and ranks, and heavy leather boots knocking hard on the ground with each step.

But This man... He didn't even have anything to cover his feet at all. The ground itself seemed different than the dirt that can be found on the empire islands too.

He was dressed in pieces of loose cloths that formed a strange draped over outfit. His pants were wide, his shirt uneven, and a tattered looking long vest on top of it all.

The most surprising thing about that man, was the fact that he didn't look angry at all. There were obvious signs of sadness and concern though, understandably. Kyungsoo and his fleet just murdered a chunk of the island's population after all.

Several minutes later, after giving new instructions to the other five ships that landed with them, Kyungsoo and the rest of the crew were finally ready to disembark their ship themselves. After stepping down the thick metal staired ramp leading down from the floor of the ship to the ground, Kyungsoo's heavy leather boot pressed on the surface of the island.

It was nothing like he had ever felt before. The ground was... Soft. It felt warm under his boots' soles, warm from the sun that beamed right down on top of them. The color palette of this place was made of shades he never knew could exist in nature.

Before Kyungsoo could get the proper gist of the place, his body not yet even slightly adjusted to the new hotter temperature and the fresh crisp breeze blowing around, Junmyeon approached him.

Kyungsoo immediately saluted to his superior ranked fellow soldier. But Junmyeon just smiled while pulling him within his arms into a tight hug. Kyungsoo was very glad to see that he is fine, of course, but more than anything, the gesture surprised him. Why is he getting hugged and not receiving an order to dismiss his salute?

"I'm so glad that it is you who came here, Kyungsoo." Junmyeon's palms lingered on Kyungsoo's shoulders for a bit. His expression was welcoming and gentle, yet had firmness in it. Something along the lines of determination and hope were eminating from just a smile... Junmyeon really knows how to express emotions well.

It was heartwarming to watch the reunion of their group of friends. All of the 3X0 unit was now together again, after so long of Junmyeon having been missing. But the sight was bittersweet. Because behind the hugs and quick excited conversations, the rest of the fleet's soldiers were guiding the living civilians of the island out of the structures and into a single location.

And Yixing... Carrying a large leather bag across his shoulders and chest, was too distracted writing everything that's happening around them down, to even spare a moment to hug Junmyeon. But Junmyeon didn't seem to mind.

"What do you think of the sand? Isn't it nice to walk on? Wait until you take your boots off." Kyungsoo heard Junmyeon say to Jongin and Baekhyun with a grin, stepping on the ground--- or well, sand.

The unexpected happened after all. And although Jongdae's weapon is still clutched tight in his hands as he watches their surroundings on high alert, the atmosphere wasn't as hostile as could have been at least.

The tall man who stood beside Junmyeon and Sehun had turned around by now, walking barefoot on the sand that looks like is gently his feet instead of giving contra like normal ground would. But who knows what 'sand' is made of. It's too risky to do the same. His fluffy reddened hair eventually vanished as he blended in with the crowd of Branbers streaming out of what looked like their residential area.

 

 

After giving specific instructions for the soldiers on the ground to keep supervising on the island's people, Kyungsoo had gathered his complete again unit back into the ship.

While sitting inside, with the sun setting and washing the interior with a bright orange and pink, Junmyeon explained everything.

When he first arrived with his own fully armored large battle ship and his crew, they couldn't find the island's location at all. So they kept circling in the area in hopes of spotting anything there instead. After a while, an unexpected thunderstorm suddenly formed near their ship, and caused an irreversible damage to their system. Even their Electro Carrier couldn't fix it.

After their pilot had fought to keep the ship in the air for hours, it... Still wasn't enough. And in a final attempt to save them, they swerved off their course, and crashed into the island. None of his crew survived, and the broken ship had fallen off, down to the earth. 

"The people here took me in immediately. They weren't afraid, they weren't hostile, they carefully brought me to their 'Medical Ward', and helped me recover." 

Junmyeon smiled with genuine joy in his eyes. Not letting go of Sehun's palm that's resting idly on top of his thigh.

"Look, i'm perfectly fine!" He grinned, wiggling in his seat and raising his free arm as proof. Baekhyun took the opportunity and poked his side, causing Junmyeon to jerk away from him protectively, and the two youngest crew members to chuckle in amusement.

That night, Kyungsoo contacted his brother again. Updating him on everything that had happened. First, about the fact that Junmyeon is alive and well despite the tragedy that fell upon his ship. Second, he apologized, and explained that he couldn't complete the mission as instructed due to the circumstances of Junmyeon's survival and... Third, the fact that the civilization on the island, the 'Branbers' that the empire has been scaring everyone with for a thousand years, are not what they seem.

They are peaceful, they haven't fought back, they haven't attacked a single soldier. They're even following the orders Kyungsoo has given to his fleet's soldiers without resisting at all. Finishing the mission now would be... Truly, an unnecessary bloodshed.

Commander in Chief Seungsoo promised he will give Kyungsoo further instructions on the development of his mission at the moment a proper new plan will be formed back at the empire. And requested to exchange words with Junmyeon. 

Kyungsoo couldn't hear their exact conversation, but when Junmyeon returned, he looked pretty satisfied with how it went. He must have missed Seungsoo too.

After Junmyeon was done with the Talkie, and after finishing the duties for the day, Kyungsoo instructed the crew except Junmyeon to spend the night inside the ship's chambers. The water carrier looked unhappy with the decision, but accepted it with a nod. Sehun seemed even more displeased, but the other reassured him before they had to part ways yet again when the stars in the sky started to peek.

The crew had occupied their beds, but Kyungsoo decided to spend a while longer in the ship. Slowly approaching the open cockpit and looking at the island at night.

His mind focused on just how much more exhausting all of this must be for Sehun. Not only is he the pilot of the ship, but the entire situation that revolves around Junmyeon as well.

Having his lover missing for so long, then hearing that they might be dead, then suddenly finding them alive... The kid must be exhausted. Kyungsoo's genuinely grateful that Sehun doesn't hate him yet.

But besides that, he is now faced with a whole new unknown path.

He has no idea what will happen next. The people of the island could still be dangerous, but only attack later on. Or they could really be just as peaceful as they look and behave, which means Kyungsoo placing his soldiers to supervise them through the entire night outside of their own homes is needlessly cruel. Especially after having commanded death upon a portion of them.

When he reached the dimly lit seat by the large glass window to the front, he noticed Yixing was still sitting there. Hand still moving with haste. Even Kyungsoo had already lost count of just how many pages the Keeper filled, who knows what books could be wrapped with them.

"Yixing. You should rest."

He called gently, placing his hand on Yixing's shoulder and in an attempt to calm and comfort him. The other finally paused, maybe for the first time today, and turned to look up at Kyungsoo with tired eyes.

"When will I ever have another chance to do this? This... This pile I've written..." Yixing replies, gesturing his hand towards three stacks of papers tied in thin strings. "These are history. There is so much more to record."

"I know."

Kyungsoo replied softly.

"Thank you for trusting me, even if I might have made the wrong call." 

He added, looking down at the 'sand' surrounding the main inhabitad area of the island through the window. The bodies of the fallen Branbers still lie lifeless. Their blood now dark and cold. Their families gathered outside against their will at the center of the island... Kyungsoo knows that the reason his stomach is twisting so hard is his conscience battling his loyalty to his duty as a soldier. 

Yixing stared back down at the paper under his ink stained hand for a moment, then finally let his pen rest on top of it.

"No... Thank you for not losing your humanity. You followed orders that weren't yours... And stopped following them, too. Only one of those actions belongs to you." Yixing said, then stood up and stretched with a pained sounding grunt. Kyungsoo was glad he decided it was time for a break.

"Good night, Captain." He smiled at Kyungsoo, then headed to the back of the ship, and into one of the chambers.

Captain... Huh.

Kyungsoo sure does not feel like he should be given even half of the responsibility sitting on top his shoulders in this situation. It's heavy. It's uncomfortable. It's dire. His position at the moment contains controlling the literal lives of people. And deaths, too.

A heavy sigh escaped his lips. The clear skies, the breeze brushing against the bits of green lands spreaded on the island, the moon, and the stars were beautiful. But sad.

The soldier in him was tired. But the human in him was hyper aware of the consequences he will have to deal with next.