Chapter 4

Violet

 

Kyungsoo was standing back in his usual spot at the Dearthers' deck. A station he's occupied for several years now as the soldiers unerneath his rank kept changing with time. It's a deck built out of grey stone right at the very edge of the island. Most of the day the Dearther isn't even there at all.

As he was standing there and staring at the ominous yet luring entrance to the jungle behind the metal spiked fences, he started hearing heavy steps marching up from the tunnel leading down underground.

Like he should, he straightened his back and waited for the group to arrive. Another delivery of Lightless to earth, he assumed.

However, what came out from the rising runnel was the group of elders, the Council of Radiance, holding his own crew members at gun point and leading them up to the platform right in front of him.

What... What are they doing? How did they get the guns from his crew...?

Kyungsoo's body wouldn't move despite his natural instinct of wanting to free his friends from the dangerous position. It kind of made sense for him not to move though. What could he possibly do? He doesn't have any powers he could use to change anything. He is Lightless.

"Why won't you save them, captain?"

One of the old men from the council asked him, nudging the tip of his rifle at scared Jongin's back of the head.

It was painful, and shameful, to see the terrified faces of his friends bending down lightly with arms beside their heads. Held hostage and powerless themselves. Kyungsoo's body still wouldn't move.

"Why won't you save us? Kyungsoo? Don't let them send us down there."

Minseok then spoke, his expression displaying a mix of fear and confusion.

"Yeah, Kyungsoo, use your powers."

Jongdae added assertively.

"Use Our powers, Kyungsoo."

Sehun spoke, giving Kyungsoo a nod of affirmation. As if he's waiting for the right moment to get all of them out of the mess once Kyungsoo uses his supposed Air Carrier powers in one way or another.

But he can't. Kyungsoo can't use the Air power. He can't use any power at all. He is Lightless. How can they not understand that he's useless by his expression? Maybe he should be blunt. Maybe he should just tell them that he lied to them all these years.

Maybe it's better to suffer the consequences now and manage to do something else instead of allowing his friends to be taken away like that. 

Kyungsoo finally inhaled to open his mouth and speak, but behind him came flying the large worn and tattered looking Dearther ship with its loud engine, and landed right at the perfect spot by the deck.

Out of the Dearther stepped another old lady from the council, and smiled the most genuine and innocent smile while gesturing for her fellow council members to begin ushering Kyungsoo's 3X0 unit into the ship.

"Hey, stop, let us go! We're not Lightless! We are Carriers, we have a value! We have a job to do!" His crew began squirming and shouting loudly, but their struggles were pointless since the rifles pointing right to the back of their heads weren't going anywhere.

Kyungsoo's body was rooted in the stone. His leather military boots were just too heavy for him to lift even a little bit. Standing behind a short wooden fence, in his usual station, he couldn't even move his limbs to open the gate and run over to his friends if he wanted to.

Minseok was shoved into the Dearther. Junmyeon, Yixing and Jongdae right behind... Jongin, despite his tears, and sehun after, were pushed inside. And then it was Baekhyun's time to get in.

He stopped right by the entrance to the ship, and turned to look directly at Kyungsoo.

"You deserve this too. Lightless. Lightless. You and me both." Baekhyun's face shifted into a twisted smile as he spoke, but when the rifle knocked against the back of his head to hurry him inside, he began laughing maniacally.

Kyungsoo couldn't do anything but watch how the elders dropped their guns off from the edge of the deck so they'd fall right down to earth itself, then turned around and left through the tunnel they came from. He saw the Dearther take flight and begin to float down into the clouds.

He wanted to scream, he wanted to jump after it, or follow the elders, he wanted somebody to come and get him out of here. But nothing happened.

Until a huge fiery explosion shook the ground beneath his feet, an explosion coming from the Dearther that had just left the empire island's deck.

 

 

Kyungsoo gasped loudly as his eyes sprung open. He caught the image of metal wires carefully intertwined through one another to create a grey net right above his face.

It took him several seconds of adjustments until he realized he was lying in the bottom bunkbed of his ship's sleeping chamber. 

On the lower bunk of the other bed in the chamber, he saw Jongin sleeping peacefully. Curled in his blanket, his soft long hair lazily fallen over his shut eyes.

He's... Back.

His friends are there with him. Nobody exploded on any Dearther at all.

What's with all of these awfully vivid nightmares that keep haunting him at night since he arrived at this fire island? Is it just his guilty mind playing tricks on him because of the pressure he's put under? Or is there something else involved?

He had to pretend that he had woken up just like everybody else on the ship when the morning had finally arrived, several minutes after his unpleasant awakening.

In fact, it was almost calming to see everyone else waking up and starting their morning routines. Nobody is in a hurry anymore. None of them have any mission to follow or quotas to fulfill. They simply needed to... Be there. Provide the empire with an eye into the lives of the local harmless fire islanders.

Being so used to the military rush and order, they were still done, fed, dressed, and ready for action in a very short amount of time. But once they stood silently and waited for Kyungsoo's instructions, they seemed to have realized the mistake they've made.

Should he really give them instructions at all? Maybe just a few basic things. He's not their parent, but even while given freedom, they were under his responsibility's span.

"As you all know, the goal of our mission had changed. We are no longer required to act as a destruction tool for the empire's intentions. Instead, we are here to learn and observe for the time being."

Kyungsoo began talking to them, it felt a little strange to see them all still standing in their military uniforms and stance. But Kyungsoo, and so do they, not know how to do this any other way.

"I uh... I don't have any commands today. I just want to remind you that these people are not our enemies. They welcomed us to their lands, and we should take advantage of that by getting as much information as we can."

He paused for a moment and thought about the island itself and what could possibly be dangerous about it.

"Stay hydrated and safe... And return here at sunset."

His crew stared at him in silence. And he stared back at them. Only several moments later Yixing and Sehun began to move. Yixing grabbed onto his treasure bag of papers and ink, while Sehun ed the first two buttons of his uniform and loosened his belt.

"I will be with Junmyeon." Sehun informed before nodding at them all and turning to leave the ship. Yixing following right after him with subtle excitement without saying anything. It's obvious he would most likely spend the entire day writing.

Silence fell on the ship again once the steps of their heavy boots got off the metalic stairs of the ship and out into the sand.

"I... Don't really know what to do." Jongin admitted, rubbing the back of his head and then carefully tying his hair in a ponytail once more.

"Let's check what we can see out there." Minseok suggested, gesturing towards the ship's open door.

With a nod of agreement, the crew minus Sehun and Yixing, left the ship and shut it locked afterwards. Wading through the mud-like soft sand until they reached the harder ground at the entrance to the village.

 

 

What are they supposed to do exactly? They've walked around just a little bit before, the locals pay them no mind anymore, are they supposed to just... Rudely enter the structures and see what they find? Is there anything to find at all? Even the whole purpose of the tower is to provide stairs upwards for the council's room on top.

They stood there for a while like a group of confused domesticated animals brought back to the wilderness, just looking around at the passing people, slowly garnering a little bit of attention from the young children crossing by.

Well, it isn't every day that the locals get to see a bunch of men wearing full military suits, boots, belts and adornments included. Kyungsoo couldn't blame them for finding them odd.

Eventually, a familiar face had spotted and approached them. And although it wasn't the face Kyungsoo had hoped for, he was glad that there's a chance they won't spend the entire day standing in the shade and staring at sand.

It was Chanyeol. Tall and calm with his fluffy hair and large red eyes. Whenever Chanyeol is stationed directly under the sun, it looks like he truly is glowing, Kyungsoo noticed. Even his skin was glistening and looked healthy. Although there were pretty visible dark circles under his eyes.

Unlike the empire's citizens, who are cooped up most of their lives under the ground beneath the mountains of their lands, never to be met with direct sun light or heat, the people on this island looked almost magical.

If within the empire grounds everybody looks like walking paper sheets with faces and hair, here on the island the people looked like they were made of gold and shimmers. They looked alive, like the sun gave each of them a loving embrace to paint them with warmth.

Kyungsoo quickly returned to his senses when Chanyeol stopped in front of him and smiled, giving a glance to the entire group.

"Good morning!" His voice was deep and pleasant.

"I was thinking, since you're new to our island and everything, would you like me to show you around?"

Why does he have to ask that with such a bright smile? Kyungsoo almost had to squint his eyes to avoid being blinded by his natural glow. However, before Kyungsoo could even respond, Jongin stepped forward with a smile.

"Yeah, we want to see more."

Chanyeol seemed pleased, he nodded to Jongin, then landed his eyes back on Kyungsoo. What does he want from him? He already got an answer.

"Is that okay, captain Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo felt oddly uncomfortable being called that. Not only in general, but especially by Chanyeol. A local fire island Wonder Soul who doesn't even understand military terms and their meanings. The guy must be incredibly observant if he caught up on the title, and knows that it belongs to Kyungsoo.

To be fair, Kyungsoo did introduce himself that way to the elders of the council before while Chanyeol was present... And he must have seen Kyungsoo command the soldiers of the unit on the island before they were dismissed from their positions and sent back to the empire.

He's not going to say anything about it, though. He didn't come here to make friends. If Chanyeol sees him as a captain, so be it.

Without opening his mouth, Kyungsoo simply nodded in approval and averted his eyes away from Chanyeol's face to the front. Ready to turn to whichever direction they will be guided towards.

 

 

So Chanyeol, unexpectedly cheerfully, became their tour guide on the island for the day.

Walking at the front beside Kyungsoo, everywhere they went, he explained something about.

As they crossed through the village, Chanyeol explained that the tower they visited yesterday has many purposes and uses that are located below the ground. Just like Kyungsoo noticed the stairs were leading to. 

But their tour simply passed by the tower without entering. Maybe another time he'd have the chance to see it.

Instead, they walked beside a large square shaped building with a large arched open entrance decorated with delicatedly carved stone sand pillars on top. There were many little windows located in equal distances around the entire structure. From the large arch, they could see into the building. 

It looked like a large patio at the center, with many many little rooms all around. Stairs that lead up to the second and third floors were carved out of the hard sand ground. The space was designed like nothing Kyungsoo has seen before. But it reminded him a little bit of the orphanage he spent most of his childhood at.

Chanyeol explained that this structure is where everyone sleeps at night. To make sure every member of their island had a comfortable equal space to sleep without worrying, each of the rooms has either four childrens' beds, or two adult beds. 

Chanyeol's room is apparently room number sixty one, which he had been sleeping alone in, until Junmyeon arrived. Now he hopes he could switch the room again so that Sehun could be there instead.

That, Kyungsoo realized while they were walking away from the large structure they just examined, was really sweet and thoughtful of him. Junmyeon must have talked to Chanyeol about Sehun, and now that Sehun is here, Chanyeol must be feeling like he doesn't want to be in their way.

After passing by a large wooden structure which Chanyeol explained to be their food storage barn, a smaller sandstone structure with many windows which was revealed to be the 'Teaching House' where children are taught important things by the Teachers, and a small wooden toolshack, Chanyeol led them outside of the village's space towards a large section of the island that they had only seen from above before.

A minute of a walk over a very moderate hill made of sand, revealed a new sight to Kyungsoo and the crew. 

In front of them, a large plain surface of land spreaded for quite an impressive space. That space spread wide and long until the very edge of the island itself which was met with the blue sky and a few little white clouds in the distance.

Closer to the hill on which they stood, were a variation of fairly large fields shaped like slices of a wheel without the sharp tips. Arranged in a crescent order to almost look like a segement of an citrus fruit with the flat side where they stand.

Between the fields were small pathways of sand. It looked somewhat familiar to the empire's own underground fields divided by pathways of deep brown earth. Except the bright yellow of the sand compared to the greens of the uniquely shaped fields was more special.

"Whoa, this looks wild." Minseok called out, receiving an agreeing nod from Jongin and a smile from Chanyeol.

Kyungsoo could spot many types of crops in the fields. He saw wheat, cotton, bushes of different berries, types of melons, pumpkins, different vegetables like cucumbers, eggplants and lettuce... A few of the fields had wooden poles connecting into a fence to help the plant grow more efficiently as well.

Everything looked so colorful.

These fields looked so much more advanced, luscious and healthy compared to the pale, almost colorless natural produce that grows on the empire's islands. He never saw even the green leaves and stems this strongly pigmented before.

And behind those incredible looking edible goods, spreaded an even larger, single patch of field that takes over the entire section of the island until the very edge that meets the skies. Except this field was covered in thick green grass and beautiful batches of different colored flowers.

It looked like a blanket of beautiful flowers in random arrangements was laid on top of the green grass.

He spotted taller lilac colored flowers shaped like little bells, yellow ones with a brown center that looked as if they were facing towards the sun itself. Bushes of red, pink and white, orange bits with black cores and even a few blue types.

Kyungsoo has never seen this much color in nature in his life.

He wasn't the only one to be shocked from the sight. Even Baekhyun, who would normally have a verbal reaction to literally anything around him, couldn't utter a word.

The flowers were just... There. Dancing lightly in the wind that brushes over them. They look like they're shining under the sun.

"Beautiful, right?" Chanyeol asked with a proud grin directed down at Kyungsoo. "Sometimes when I have free time, I love going to the fields and looking at the sky. You can almost hear them talking to you then, the flowers."

Kyungsoo kept eye contact with Chanyeol as he spoke, and he could tell that what Chanyeol is explaining must have some sort of significance to him. Although to Kyungsoo it sounded like something borderline lunatic to do. How would he know. 

 

 

"Do they really talk?" Kyungsoo asked quietly, as Chanyeol began leading them off from the hill and towards a location they had already visited before. Behind them, the rest of the crew were still talking about the field and the flowers, comparing colors to the very limited supply of those on the empire islands.

Chanyeol seemed amused by the question, but smiled instead. 

"Maybe one day you will know the answer yourself." He replied calmly. A tone that's filled with subtle excitement for Kyungsoo to experience that same thing he does, and also, such heartfelt encouragement that Kyungsoo almost felt like he's rude to even doubt it.

He decided that the fact he felt like it was an invitation was just his mind building up expectations and not anything related to hope.

Taking a turn around the village's structures, Chanyeol brought them to the same wooden fence they had seen before. The one connecting to the side of the mountain from which the waterfall drops. 

The rainbow droplets shining under the sun still looked magical. Even more so now from up closer.

Chanyeol gestured towards the closed large wooden door that leads into the structure connected to the fence.

This place is apparently an important water resource for the people of the island. The water is clean enough to drink from, but since they already have an improved well and a plan to upgrade the water system in the island as a whole even more than it already is upgraded, thanks to Junmyeon's help, the place had turned into a more common visit place.

In the ancient times, there were times the villagers had to fill their wells with water buckets from this waterfall. And so the place was closed most of the time except for their yearly traditional 'Cleanse Day' where the whole village enters the lake undernearth the waterfall to give themselves back to the water and show their appreciation.

But hundreds of years before he was born, Chanyeol explained, the council at the time decided that there is no reason to keep the place closed, and now people can come there and enjoy bathing in the lake whenever they want.

Of course, it's much more convenient to bathe in the bath house located inside the village, since it's closer to their sleeping house. So the 'Cleanse Day' tradition still remains as a fun day activity. Chanyeol explained.

From that spot, Chanyeol leads them back towards the village where he presents them with the famous well. A circular sandstone fenced opening in the ground, with a small wooden roof held up by poles above. Located quite close behind the tall tower of the council, the well was mostly in the shade.

With wide arm gestures, he shows them the exact path that the previous generations of villagers have dug under the ground in order to connect the source of the waterfall to this well and have it always full and functional.

There are a few buckets piled at the side of the well, a few thick ropes, and bits of grass that must of grown from the drops of the buckets being lifted out of the well.

Surely, there is still a lot of the island that they haven't seen yet, but the time feels like it's passing way quicker than they had realized, and it was time for them to return to their ship once more. The adventure will have to continue soon. If at all.

Chanyeol didn't seem sad or worried, in fact, when greeting them goodbye from the arched gate at the entrance to the village that they have to go through every time, he seemed to be happy and pleased.

By the locked entrance to the ship stood Sehun and Yixing, who were chatting with one another about their different experiences through the day.

He wouldn't say it, but Kyungsoo hoped that Chanyeol would continue being their tour guide. Maybe just a few more days until they get the feel of the island and are able to grasp where they are and familiarize themselves with the places and structures some more.

Their rations of food and water on the ship were sufficient for them. Each of them having to grab one with every meal, meant that they would be starting to low on them. They still had enough for maybe another month before they'll be fully out of basic survival supplies. Kyungsoo dreads having to expose himself to the local water and produce. Even though after seeing it with his own eyes, his curiousity certainly piqued.

If the islanders survived on those for a thousand years, they should be fine consuming those too. Right?

 

 

-----

 

 

Kyungsoo and his partial crew without Sehun and Yixing, who left every morning before everyone else, kept returning to the village every morning, and meeting up with Chanyeol. Who seemed more than happy to greet them and guide them further through the daily lives of their civilization.

They got a closer look into the various types of produce that is picked with care by those whose jobs were to tend the fields. They got to watch a group of young Wonder Souls fill up buckets of water in order to help an elder whose bones are too worn to do it without struggling.

It was a very calm and pleasant view to see. The atmosphere was very peaceful everywhere they went.

Having to wear the thick military uniform, the heavy boots and the tight belts and adornments over their outfits every single day became quite a burden.

Kyungsoo thought Junmyeon, then Sehun, were geniuses for having the courage to change them into local clothes that Junmyeon managed to find for them.

Minseok, Baekhyun and Jongin too, seemed to be getting tired of the heat that sticks to them, tired of how much more exhausting it is to carry their feet on the sand than it was to walk on the metalic or stone carved floors of their empire islands military bases.

Minseok and Baekhyun both, hadn't even worn the top half of their uniform anymore, staying in the simple white T-shirt, tucked into the belted moss colored trousers ending with the heavy boots. While Jongin left the jacket of their uniform on yet ed, carrying the boots in his hand.

He excitedly praised just how soft and pleasant it feels to step directly on the golden sand of the island, but Kyungsoo couldn't yet allow himself the freedom to choose to commit to that luxury. He's the captain of their crew. He is the one in charge.

Indeed Kyungsoo gave everyone the option to listen to their own judgement, but his natural instinct to remain as formal, as respectable, and to display good manners in his representation of the empire's military was still stronger than his discomfort from the flaws of wearing such a uniform on the island.

Jongdae seemed to be having the same thinking process. For he too hasn't changed a single thing about his uniform despite being visibly uncomfortable from the attire's downsides.

Perhaps they're being too uptight with this, but how could they not be?

The tours have started getting shorter and shorter each day. And behind the usual activity of the village, is seemed that there was something going on. Some event, or celebration, or an unknown traditions that the society is slowly organizing itself towards.

Chanyeol must have gotten busier with the preparations as well. He seemd apologetic whenever he had to part ways with them ahead of the sunset's arrival.

 

 

Today, they were only three in Chanyeol's tour. Jongin too, had gotten out to the village on his own. Not even carrying his boots with him anymore. The knife attached to his military pants was also removed.

Baekhyun was already gone too. He left the ship earlier in the morning with Yixing.

Jongin greeted Chanyeol a cheerful good morning when they crossed the gate, then waved Kyungsoo goodbye and disappeared behind one of the village's structures.

So it was only Kyungsoo himself, boots-free Minseok, and a few open buttoned full uniform wearer Jongdae. None of them carried their weapons with them anymore. Only Jongdae and Kyungsoo kept the knives hinged on their belts.

"Hey Chanyeol. How are you doing today?" Minseok asked in a polite manner as they began following him and Kyungsoo in the usual formation. Chanyeol at the front, Kyungsoo beside him, and the rest of the crew behind.

"I'm very good! What about you guys?" He replied with his usual cheerful smile, then turned to look at Kyungsoo. "It looks like you're not thoroughly enjoying this place just yet." His eyes scanned over Kyungsoo's uniform.

"They'll get used to it soon enough."

Minseok shrugged, walking easily, just like Chanyeol, with his feet on the sand. Kyungsoo almost felt envious of how much more pleasant it must be to not sink down with each step in his own heavy boots. 

Jongdae seemed to be, from the very beginning, in a neutral yet alert state of awareness.

Clearly, he does not enjoy his stay on the island too much. He probably finds this to be a waste of time. But an order is an order. And he'd do whatever it takes to complete it. At least he's not carrying his rifle around anymore.

After minutes of walking through the village, Chanyeol led them to the very center, where a structure they had already seen before was standing. Tall walls with many opened windows stood in a squared shape, a single wooden door separating it from the very center of the village.

 

 

Kyungsoo had already gotten used to being looked at with curiousity by the other residents of the island. 

He got used to catching Chanyeol looking at him with just as much interest, as well. He's not bothered at all.

Maybe he's a little on edge simply because he feels like he has to be representing the perfect example of the empire's military captains. But even so, it wouldn't affect him enough that his pulse would rise, right?

It's probably the heat.

 

 

Chanyeol knocked lightly on the wooden door, and a calming voice of a lady could be heard from the other side, welcoming whoever it might be inside.

He carefully pushed the door open, revealing to Kyungsoo, Minseok, and Jongdae, what looks like a room they'd describe as a classroom.

At the opposite end of the room from the door, stood two older looking women and a slightly younger looking man. All three dressed in long cream colored dress-like cloth tied around the waist with a rope. Similar to the outfits of the Council of Radiance. They looked old enough to be what the locals call 'Teachers'. Or in the empire, 'Lightless'.

Behind the three of them, who sent Chanyeol and the crew an inviting smile, hung a large, very dark wooden plank on the wall, on which were a few sketches drawn and some words written in a light yellow color.

In the empire, classrooms in the military discipline ward all had large similar boards. However, they were screens built out of many many tiny lightbulbs that would turn on with electric pulses that the class' mentor would send in order to create shapes, numbers, and words.

On the island, in this classroom-like scene, it seemed that the Teachers had to physically write down what they wanted to appear on the board with a strange little yellow stone. It wasn't ink, yet it still stayed on the board... Interesting. Yixing would have loved seeing and learning what that is. Maybe he already did.

In front of the three older Teachers, sat many children on neatly arranged hay woven mats on the floor. Again, a very similar arrangement to the empire's classrooms, except none of them had any papers or ink cups.

The children in the room look to be in various different ages. Some looked to be teens nearing adulthood, and some were as small as what seemed to be merely five or six years old.

Despite their differences, they all sat down calmly, in harmony, in silence, completely entranced and interested in what the Teacher was about to tell them.

Kyungsoo almost felt guilty for bothering them in the middle of the flow of their... Lesson? He didn't exactly know what could be taught on this island. Many of the children turned their heads to look at the group of adults entering the room, some started mumbling things with giggles and smiles, and Kyungsoo heard Chanyeol's name being mentioned.

"Welcome. Please take a seat."

The lady at the front of the sun lit, bright looking class gestured towards the back corner of the room, where a small pile of extra mats stood. They could do nothing other than nod humbly and take upon the offer.

Quickly and quietly enough, the four new students in the class spread their little mats and sat like the rest. Jongdae felt quite ridiculous, easily noticable by the way his eyebrows furrowed. It's still odd for Kyungsoo to see such a calm gentle man be this upset for such a long period of time, ever since their journey to the island began.

Chanyeol, on the other hand, looked more than excited about the situation. He sat with his large long legs crossed on the way too small mat, and grinned in satisfaction when Kyungsoo followed suit on the pose.

The class had settled back into its previous state of silence, and the Teacher at the front began talking again.

 

 

Kyungsoo quickly realized that this wasn't just a regular class. This lesson does not teach mathematics, literature, history, or the different ranks and jobs of the military's hirarchy.

Instead, these children, himself, and his two crew members, were being taught how to... Make decorations.

The sketches on the board behind the Teachers were in fact the visual instructions for the children to understand each step of the process of creating the different types of what looks like folded, sewn or tied cloth pieces.

The Teacher continued explaining further about each of the pieces, what to do with them, and how. And at last, she took out the actual pieces and gave a live example. Slowly and carefully showing everyone the steps to create what looks like little cloth baubles.

After asking the children repeatedly in a nurturing manner if they understood everything clearly, the other two Teachers brought out two large baskets filled with already prepared pieces of cloths. One by one, the Teachers passed by the children and gave each of them all the materials they need for the task. Just like the kids, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Minseok and Jongdae received their own portion of pieces. And a warm encouraging smile from the Teacher who handed it to them.

A bit of a chatter spread in the classroom between the kids who began to politely and cheerfully exchange pieces of cloths with one another so that each of them would have their favorite colors in the mix.

Once the Teachers had returned to the front of the class, without having to say a word, the children went quiet again, eagerly looking up at their Teacher with admiration and respect. This sort of appreciation could never exist in the empire's classrooms.

Unlike the empire, where the children are forced into a harsh, strict, and punishments-filled education system that thickens their skins and freezes their hearts, where their only bits of joy come from breaking the minor rules and disobeying their own mentors... The fire island seemed to have gotten it the other way around.

To Kyungsoo it looked like every single child in this class had been looking forward to it. Every kid is enjoying their lesson. Nobody interrupts the Teachers, nobody talks outside of their turn, nobody is suffering or struggling. Not even the little ones. 

They are all genuinely having a good time, loving it, and providing the Teachers with the appropriate and honorable respect they deserve. They are actually happy to learn. Glad to be there.

It was so odd. So unnatural in a way, compared to anything he knew about any sort of education. But... He found it endearing.

 

 

When the Teacher finally gave the signal for the activity to begin, instantly happy chatter filled the room. The children have all shifted and turned their seating positions on the mats to create little groups that'd work together. Everyone seemed to be trying their best at their given task.

Kyungsoo could see that a few of the slightly older children were goofing around, making jokes and being a little louder than the rest, but even they still seemed excited to make progress with their own stages of creation.

He turned around on his mat as well, looking at the rest of his group of adults that clearly shouldn't be doing this activity right now.

Chanyeol, as expected was already halfway through with the instructions, his large hands and long fingers ever so gently pulling, turning, wrapping and tying the different pieces of cloth.

Kyungsoo could barely hold back a snicker when he noticed Chanyeol's expression. As impressed as he was from the progress he made, it all vanished when he saw the tip of Chanyeol's tongue sticking out from the corner of his mouth.

His brows were furrowed and his large eyes partially squinted in determination. If it wasn't for just how much of a giant he was in size, he could be easily confused as one of the children attenting this class himself.

Kyungsoo found it a little bit adorable. But mostly amusing, considering Chanyeol is a man of this island himself, and must have gotten through this class quite some time ago. The fact that he took it so seriously made Kyungsoo throw the doubts about participating away.

Minseok seemed to be doing his very best as well, with a little less enthusiasm than Chanyeol though. And Jongdae... Well, from his expression one would think he's never going to do such a thing. But his hands are actually extremely skilled with anything that requires intricate moves, and he did just fine.

Instead of staring, Kyungsoo turned to his own small pieces of cloth, and began the work.

It was... Weirdly theraputic. He felt something he had never felt before. He felt a little bit good. A little bit free of his crushing responsibilities as a soldier in the empire's military. For the few minutes he continued folding tying and wrapping cloth pieces, he was a child.

Has he ever been a child? He spent his entire life in constant fear of being found as a Lightless. Under the strict cruel ever seeing eye of the soldiers who stole the little bit of youth he had left and replaced it with a fighting spirit fueled by paranoia of an unknown, apparently non existing, enemy.

His little bauble came out wonky towards the side, but he succeeded. He managed to create something of his own. Why does such a small milestone make him feel so proud? It's ridiculous.

Beside him, Chanyeol was smiling calmly, flipping and tossing his own better looking bauble in the air and between his large fingers. In Chanyeol's hands it looked so much smaller than it did in Kyungsoo's. Even though they were the same sized baubles.

Jongdae's bauble was already placed on the mat in front of him. A perfectly round, smooth and prettily tied decoration piece. An expert's touch.

Beside him, Minseok managed to somehow make his bauble look like two little mouse ears of cloth are popping out of it. He excitedly showed his creation to Jongdae, who, in a surprising move of breaking character, smiled gently and nodded in approval.

Maybe he really isn't suffering as much as he makes it seem.

 

 

Once done with all of their little colorful cloth baubles, one of the Teachers approached their group at the back of the class with a smile.

"Everyone finished?" She asked calmly, all four of them raised their creations in their hands, and she chuckled warmly.

"Thank you very much, Teacher Boah. We will be leaving now, there's much left to prepare."

Chanyeol explained to her, and she nodded in approval and gestured towards the mats the four of them occupied once they were on their feet. The rest of the children in the class were still too busy following the steps and making their own creations, so only a few of them looked in Chanyeol's direction and waved him goodbye after they put their mats back in the pile and opened the door to exit.

Kyungsoo hasn't realized it yet, but the temperatures inside the structures of the village are actually a lot lower and more pleasant than the heat created from having to stand under direct sunlight outside.

"Hey, Captain Kyungsoo. Will it be alright for us to meet again in the evening?" Chanyeol turned to face Kyungsoo, but clearly he is asking Kyungsoo this in the name of their whole crew.

The bauble in Kyungsoo's hand got squeezed lightly when Kyungsoo was faced with that question. He knows something definitely is planned for that evening. Through the days they've spent on the island they could see the locals are working on something big.

Setting up poles and hanging ropes from corners of structures... Kyungsoo was curious. Even if a part of him still holds onto the prejudice and for a moment the thought about something as crazy and morbid as human sacrifice crosses his mind, he shoves those away with the experiences he had with the kind islanders.

Although he still hesitates for a moment, he eventually nods his head, and Chanyeol immediately grins with excitement.

"Okay! Awesome!" He clapped his palms together, the bauble hanging like a large ring from his pinky finger.

"Please come to the center of our village at sunset. Oh! And bring your creation with you!" Kyungsoo nodded once more at Chanyeol's words.

The tall Wonder Soul then reached his arms out in Kyungsoo's direction, but stopped midmovement and pulled his hands back. Kyungsoo almost felt his body tense defensively at that move. 

A slightly awkward smile took over Chanyeol's lips while he began rubbing the back of his head.

"I'll see you later, then." He said instead, stepping backwards and waving the three of the crew members goodbye widely before rushing off to join a group of a few more adult Wonder Souls carrying a large wooden plank behind them.

What exactly are they preparing...? Guess Kyungsoo will have to wait for sunset to discover.