Chapter 7

Violet

 

Kyungsoo, Junmyeon and Sehun made their way to the ship at the edge of the island where Kyungsoo has been spending his nights.

They walked in silence, and it made Kyungsoo tense up just a little. What could Junmyeon possibly want to talk about which required such seriousness?

He suddenly remembered his brother's words the last time they spoke. Kyungsoo was told to keep an eye on Junmyeon. But he hasn't exactly done that, taking it in the positive direction of his brother worrying about his friend instead.

Kyungsoo has never had a reason to not trust Jumyeon, and from the way he behaved on the island, there was no reason to raise any suspicion either.

They made it inside the ship, and sat down in the general area at the center of it. Junmyeon and Sehun sat themselves in front of Kyungsoo. Junmyeon directly, and Sehun beside him, quietly glancing at his lover from above from time to time.

"Hah, I haven't been on a ship in so long..." Junmyeon said in a tone that would sound like he's missing it, but Kyungsoo could tell it wasn't a genuine sentiment.

It got quiet after that. Sehun leaned back in less of a formal sitting position, while Junmyeon looked around the ship. Kyungsoo just silently stared at Junmyeon, and at the view of the slightly cloudy night sky showing from the glass window behind him at the front of the ship.

"Kyungsoo, do you like sleeping on the ship alone?" 

It seemed that Junmyeon noticed the little fruit basket that was located on one of the shelves in the ship.

Kyungsoo shouldn't be so cautious. This situation is irking him weirdly, but he shouldn't be unfairly judgemental against his own friend. Junmyeon has always been someone precious to Kyungsoo.

The two of them are able to talk pretty freely with one another and share their worries. It's obvious that their connection is important to the both of them, which is probably why Junmyeon looks like he's struggling to bring up the actual subject of the conversation.

"No. It's dark and very quiet." Kyungsoo finally replied.

"Yeah, I can tell."

And another moment of silence fell. Junmyeon's body was just still, but Kyungsoo could sense just how uncomfortable and restless he is at the moment.

"Do you like this island? Are you having a good time here?"

Kyungsoo nodded.

"Did you get to see everything on it yet?" Junmyeon asked with genuine curiousity.

"No, not yet. But Chanyeol is showing me around."

Junmyeon ran a few fingers over his forehead to remove some hairs from his face, his brows weren't quite furrowed, but not fully relaxed either. And when it comes to Junmyeon, the state of his brows is a good indication about his current emotional state.

"You've... Become pretty close with Chanyeol, right?"

Kyungsoo nodded once more. There's nothing wrong with admitting that, right?

It's not like he could deny spending nearly every single day on this island with him.

Junmyeon mentioned before that Chanyeol was one of the first people who actually took care of him when he first arrived at the island. So Chanyeol is considered a friend of Junmyeon too, right?

Besides, what's with this random casual conversation, or rather, strange interrogation they're having? Surely, Junmyeon had other things to tell him. Things that are more important than where Kyungsoo sleeps at night.

Sehun crossed one leg over his other and cleared his throat purposefully loud, nudging Junmyeon's back with his arm. Junmyeon jumped a little, revealing just how truly nervous and on edge he feels about having this conversation with Kyungsoo.

"Okay, Okay. Alright. I know." Junmyeon mumbled, rubbing his head nervously as a reply to Sehun's acts of urging him.

"Kyungsoo, I'll get to the point." 

He changed his sitting position to lean forward, and lowered his head to look downwards. Brows now fully furrowed, and eyes slightly squinting with intensity.

"My ship didn't crash on this island." He exhaled heavily and intertwined his fingers together into a tight grip beneath his lowered eyes. Kyungsoo sat and listened.

 

 

"When we first got to see the island from afar... I was really excited to report it back to your brother, Seungsoo, our Commander in Chief, to confirm that the island is there and ready to be destroyed." He began talking.

"But I noticed a little sparkle of fire near it... We couldn't have known what it was, so I looked at it through the telescope, and it looked like a flying burning coffin. Well... Now you too, know that I was correct."

Kyungsoo's mind fills with the images of the funeral he was present at. Where the burning coffins of the victims his own fleet have killed flew away from the island and out of sight.

"But back then, I didn't know anything... So, I kept watching that island for the entire day. Nothing looked dangerous at first glance. But my interest in the island grew a whole lot... So I reported that I haven't seen it at all." Junmyeon exhaled lightly. Sehun's hand kept slowly over his back.

"I kept watching the island from afar. My ship was equipped for everything, our telescope was amazing. I could zoom in and see everything on the island. So I watched... And learned..." He loosened his intertwined fingers a little bit. "The people on the island, even from afar, were so kind and peaceful... Gentle and, well, happy."

There was a spark of hope in Junmyeon's lowered eyes, and although Kyungsoo really had no idea what to expect, he could feel his own body slowly tensing up. As if it's preparing to embrace some sort of shocking information that might come.

So far, other than not reporting that Junmyeon found the island on first sight, he hasn't really done anything that deserves the amount of solemnness surrounding him.

"My crew however... They... Became impatient. They tried to urge me into attacking the island, stop wasting time, get the job done... They pestered me with questions like... 'How come we haven't gotten an order to end them yet?' And more of sorts."

Kyungsoo could relate. When his very own ship was only on the way to the island they've already fallen into moral arguments.

"I was stuck. Nobody other than me knew that this island was actually a little piece of heaven. I had to listen to my guts." Junmyeon paused, and gulped, exhaling deeply once more and tightening his fingers together again.

"I... Tricked my crew. I told them we're finally down for destruction, and that we must land in order to do so..."

His voice, which always sounds gentle, and warm, and pleasant to the ear like honey, now sounded troubled, choppy, stuck. He wasn't struggling with just saying these things out loud... But also with accepting that what he is saying actually happened.

And that could have been suspicious, but Kyungsoo knew. Kyungsoo could tell that he's having a difficulty with this because it's the truth.

"We landed. Everyone had their weapons ready. But I didn't let them out." His voice got stuck in his throat again.

"I murdered all of them."

Kyungsoo's mouth went dry.

His body was right for preparing for some sort of shock to hit. But even so, he was not ready for anything like that, at all. For a split second, he froze. But right after that, Kyungsoo felt his body slowly heating up. His muscles filling with rage, and his mind started clouding with anger.

Junmyeon... Killed his own crew. His very own empire comerades.

Kyungsoo's hands began trembling lightly. He didn't even know what he was feeling. But it hurt. This is full on betrayal. Junmyeon went against everything he's even known and committed the worst crime possible.

"I fought them all inside the ship."

Just imagining Junmyeon being aggressive is freaky enough. But the images of Junmyeon killing his own crew flashing in Kyungsoo's mind were... Horrifying. How could someone as elegant, proud, clever and talented as Junmyeon, ruin everything by losing control like that?

Kyungsoo has always been looking up at Junmyeon like a role model. But now... His perfect status of respect in Kyungsoo's mind cracked.

"I left the ship after I was done...I was injured and exhausted... But with the last bit of energy I still had, I used my water to shove the ship off from the island."

Kyungsoo's whole body was burning with the instinct of punching Junmyeon in the face, but a quick glance at Sehun, and he remembered he has to keep a hold of himself and get a grip. This is more serious than solving with a punch.

Sehun was leaning closer to Junmyeon, one arm wrapped behind his back, rubbing over it softly, and the other hand was resting on Junmyeon's thigh. Just to provide contact and comfort.

How can Sehun still sit like this beside Junmyeon after knowing what he'd done?

"The locals found me then, and took me in." Junmyeon exhaled slowly, his white knuckles finally easing down on the grip he had onto his own hand. 

"Kyungsoo, I told them everything. The council... They know the real reason your fleet came and attacked. They know about the thousand years punishment... They know why the fire gem is separated from the rest on this island. They know that they are destined to be destroyed."

Junmyeon finally raised his head from looking at the metal floor of the ship, and made eye contact with Kyungsoo. This time his seriousness got mixed with worry, and slight fear. 

Kyungsoo was caught off guard yet again by a new dump of information. He felt like he just got kicked in the stomach not once, but twice.

"They keep the happy and peaceful facade going on the surface for the sake of allowing the Fire Carriers... or, Wonder Souls, to have a good life." Junmyeon really was pouring everything in front of Kyungsoo.

"I promised them that I won't let anything of that scale happen... I can't even express how relieved I felt when I realized it was you who came with the fleet... You who was in charge." 

Junmyeon's eyes had yet another spark of hope in them, his hands freed from the hold and he gestured his open palm in Kyungsoo's direction.

"I was, and still am, so grateful that you had the heart to stop when it mattered most."

His hand now moved back towards himself. He connected his palm to his chest and bowed his head down. Low enough to show how genuinely grateful he is to Kyungsoo for that.

When his head rose back and his hand fell back down, tense silence filled the air.

Kyungsoo didn't know what to think, feel, or do.

Clearly, Junmyeon is now considered a traitor. A war criminal. A deserter who betrayed his own people. And as the capatain of the ship that came to this island and found him, it's Kyungsoo's duty to bring him back to face the judgement of the empire's laws.

Junmyeon must know that by disclosing this information with Kyungsoo, he's sealing his own doom in the empire. And yet he still did it. What is the purpose?

Is he planning to do anything else to cover his own tracks again? Is he going to murder Kyungsoo and all of his crew as well?

Kyungsoo's muscles tensed, but he did his very best not to show that any part of him is going through a crisis right now.

Junmyeon was just sitting there in silence, staring at Kyungsoo with hope. But after a while in which Kyungsoo clearly was not feeling like he's sharing that same sentiment, Junmyeon had lowered his head again, and his energy had taken a shift.

The atmosphere in the ship changed from something fearful and serious into stirring confidence.

 

 

"I know I have done unspeakable things. I betrayed the empire, I killed my own crew mates... I lied to you, to everyone. You think I've not been paying for these every single minute I'm awake?"

Junmyeon said with a hint of spite. But self targetted spite. Kyungsoo could relate to this feeling of guilt that would never be healed.

"But... You know for what reason I did it... You understand why... Right?" His eyes reconnected with Kyungsoo's again. He looked certain, and convincing.

"I just knew that I must not let harm come to this island... It shouldn't be destroyed... It cannot be destroyed. You feel it too, right?"

Althought Kyungsoo was still in the mindset of angrily blaming Junmyeon for all the other terrible things he had done, thinking of the possibilities of punishments he would receive when faced with the empire's law... 

He pushed those thoughts aside and listened to Junmyeon anyway. 

"I just... Can't allow any more blood shed to happen on this island. I fought my own damn crew to save these people..." Junmyeon exhaled, it seemed that his breathing was a little quickened for a moment.

"...I will fight even you, Kyungsoo, if you come with the intent of harming them again..." His voice was quiet, but the intense look in his eyes showed nothing but honesty. And for a second, Kyungsoo couldn't quite hide how scary that thought actually was for him.

Not only because fighting with Junmyeon in general is scary, but also because Kyungsoo wouldn't have any way to defend himself even if he wanted to. He might have been lucky to be born with the bright green eyes of an Air Carrier like Sehun, but he wasn't lucky enough to be born with any actual powers.

Junmyeon could crush him at any moment if he tried.

But his friend's expression instantly changed back when he spotted the hint of fear in Kyungsoo, and instantly lowered his head with a heavy burdened sigh.

Seeing both Jongdae and Junmyeon, two of the most gentle, heartful, kind people he knows, stand down and hold their stance so desperately to the level of having to threat with violence, got Kyungsoo pretty shaken.

Yixing too, although without using any violence, was aggressively sticking to his point and purpose the entire time. Not backing down even a little despite receiving the intensity of true anger in his direction.

What is it about this island that brings people to the edge of their moral beliefs?

"Kyungsoo... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to threaten you." Junmyeon said, his voice stuck in his throat.

"But... You feel it too, don't you? You too, deep down, believe that there is another way to end this..."

Kyungsoo would have shut his heart out cold and replied to Junmyeon that he has no business talking with him any further after all he's heard. But... He can no longer do that. His heart just won't allow him to.

Yixing's words suddenly started returning in broken pieces of sentences in his head. The very first time he and Jongdae began arguing on this ship... Yixing mentioned something about approaching the situation with peace.

He did say that he and the rest of the Keepers in the empire were working on a plan that'll require no violence and no blood shed to occur in order to achieve a better result than the thousand years punishment's conclusion.

 

 

Kyungsoo was upset, unsettled, and angry at Junmyeon.

But now, listening to him and considering his words seriously, Kyungsoo realized he had gotten himself into a situation he will not be able to exit from.

Whatever anger he felt started to waver down further more when he understood that... If his own crew decided to go on a rampage and kill the islanders, he would have done the same as Junmyeon.

As a captain of the empire, he couldn't help but feel that initial pain of betrayal. But the more he thinks about the island, the time he spent here, the things he's seen, felt, and experienced, the more he realizes that he can no longer listen to the captain's side of him.

He is no longer Do Kyungsoo the captain from the empire fleet.

He is Do Kyungsoo, the powerless figure separating the island from life and death.

And that must be what Junmyeon felt as well when he first came to the island with the intent of destroying it.

Kyungsoo started getting lost in thoughts. Suddenly being able to grasp just how drastic was the change Junmyeon, himself, and his whole crew have gone through since they reached the island.

The way Kyungsoo views the entire world has changed completely. The way he views his friends, the empire, the ship... The way he views Chanyeol, the tall fire boy who burned the clouds in the sky to protect the island... If only he could, Kyungsoo too, would light the sky up in flames if it means saving this island from its dark fate.

And then he knew. He understood. He agreed with Junmyeon.

This conversation... The truths revealed to him... And his own heart made him understand that no matter what happens, he must not let his brother destroy this place.

He'd be a traitor. He'd kill his own empire comerades if he has to. He will fight, he will lie, he will do anything in order to save this heavenly place.

Just like Junmyeon did.

 

 

All hints of anger have faded from his body, and while Sehun was gently comforting Junmyeon with loving yet subtle physical contact, Kyungsoo let his body fall back and lean against his seat.

Junmyeon's nervous eyes scanned him to spot any hint of what the reaction would be.

"Junmyeon."

Kyungsoo exchanged glances between the pair's eyes.

"Would you help me think of a plan that'll keep this place safe?"

Both of them instantly eased down in their body postures. Sehun's arms loosened while a small smile grew across his lips. He leaned down towards Junmyeon and planted a kiss on his head.

Junmyeon meanwhile allowed his whole upper body to fall forward with an exhale that must have cleared his lungs fully. When he sat back up with a groan he had his hands covering his face.

"Thank you---..." Was all he could whisper before allowing his body to fall against Sehun's while he just breathed.

Kyungsoo understoods that.

Junmyeon's emotions towards his own deeds must be similar to the haunting anger, guilt, and regret that Kyungsoo feels about his own deeds. About the sight of the sixteen wooden coffins burning and floating away from the island. 

About the tears he could see shimmering in Chanyeol's eyes when he had to say goodbye to the victims of the attack.

He can't let it happen again.

But they'd have to think of something before the decision in the empire about the situation of this island has been made. He's definitely going to need any help he can get for this.

 

 

Junmyeon invited Kyungsoo to sleep with Sehun and him in the village's communal bedrooms. But Kyungsoo knew he'd be invading their privacy, and that after having been through this sort of vulnerable experience with him, Junmyeon will need some time to regroup himself.

So he once again found himself lying in his usual lower bunk of the bed in the ship's chamber and trying his best to clear his mind.

At some point it worked, and he managed to fall asleep.

 

 

He was tied to a tall metal pole by large and painfully tight metal chains. Underneath him is the end of a chiseled stone cliff. The tips of his toes were dangling over the edge, and beyond the cliff was an ocean of burning lava.

The heat from the lava's hot air kept blowing in his face uncomfortably. Which made him raise his head, at which point he realized the type of situation he was in.

In front of him, far away, located somewhere above the lava, were two large cages at the same height. Both of them were held by similar chains to those that tied him to the pole, and hung from a mechanical device attached to what he now realized wasn't a sky. But the ceiling of a gigantic cave.

Upon further inspection of the cages from his spot, Kyungsoo felt his heart dipping down.

Inside the left cage stood his crew members, and his own brother Seungsoo, all dressed in their military uniforms. 

Inside the right cage, stood... Yet again, his crew members. But with Junmyeon...And Chanyeol? They were all wearing the soft cloth outfits that they've received from the village on the fire island.

At the moment he realized who was in each of the cages, the ground began to rumble, and an enormous metalic creature rose up from the center of the lava lake under the cliff. It had two red glowing eyes that looked just like crystal pieces from the fire gem, and a large mouth with several rows of sharp metalic teeth.

"You have to choose..." The creature's voice echoed in his ears. A voice that sounded like a thousand screaming people being crushed by metal spears, spoke, and the wide mouth had opened into a dark smile.

Up from the lava once again, rose a small platform made of metal. It stopped rising in front of Kyungsoo. Right at the very edge of the cliff. That platform had nothing on it beside a lever standing up straight.

Kyungsoo knew what he was asked to do... Even though he wasn't told specifically how to do it. He had to decide which of the two cages to lower down and drown in lava. Doom to their painful deaths.

How is he supposed to choose such a thing? He doesn't want to get his brother killed. But he doesn't want to get Junmyeon and Chanyeol killed either. But that wasn't the real question at stake in the situation. It was much bigger than that.

Is he willing to drown his military life in order to save the island? Or is he still too attached to the safety he feels knowing his brother protects him from the higher military ranks?

The giant metalic monster crawled in his direction from the lava. Its body dripping with the glowing red material back into the ocean underneath. Streams of deadly heat. It raised its head from above the cliff's edge and leaned its eye awfully close to his face.

Then it flashed a wide, dark, singed grin. Allowing Kyungsoo to look at himself in the reflection of the red gem surface.

"You have to choose..." The terrifying voice repeated.

He saw his own face in the eye... A scared, tired, tattered face. Wide fearful eyes and dry chapped lips. His cheeks were sunk in and he felt disgusted. Like he was looking at his own skeleton instead of a face.

He cannot choose. He cannot decide such a thing.

The two cages started slowly descending towards the lava. The sound of chains rolling through the metalic mechanism from above echoed through the entire cave, bouncing from the walls. He was running out of time... All of the people in both cages started to panic and shout, calling out Kyungsoo's name and begging him to push the lever in their favor.

Kyungsoo's heart began pounding hard, his breathing became unstable and he felt the sweat rolling down his skin. Nervous, scared, and unable to think of any reasoning behind choosing either of the cages.

He saw the distance between the bottom of the cages and the ocean of lava shortening with every second that passed by, he heard their screams of pain the closer they got to the heat. If he wouldn't do anything now, both cages will drown.

Barely able to breathe from the heat and stress, Kyungsoo shut his eyes tightly and reached his foot ahead, feeling the head of the lever. He inhaled whatever he could into his lungs and prepared to push.

The weight of his body shifted and---

 

 

He opened his eyes.

The pattern of the thin metalic lining that hold the mattress of the bed above him was already familiar enough.

He felt damp and sweaty, easily noticed that his pulse was faster than the norm as well.

Kyungsoo had no idea which side the lever in his dream was pushed to. Which cage was submerged into a painful death and which was saved.

But now, being awake and rethinking the situation... He might actually know the answer to that. And deep down, he doesn't even feel any regret.

He finished eating the second orange in his little basket after peeling it just like Chanyeol had taught him, and quickly went over his short yet sufficient hygienic routine for the morning.

No need to waste more time in this ship, Chanyeol must be waiting for him.

 

 

-----

 

 

"Kyungsoo! We're going hunting today!" 

Chanyeol exclaimed cheerfully when Kyungsoo stepped through the village's open arched gate. Kyungsoo definitely was not ready for these high levels of energy first thing in the morning. Especially after the nightmare that haunted him before he woke up, but he shouldn't dwell in it.

Besides, a happy Chanyeol is a delightful exeprience for all.

"Hunting? Where can you hunt here?" He asked in a half hearted joking manner when he made his way to Chanyeol at the village's center. Even pretended to look around to try and spot a place large enough for that activity to happen.

"I told you I will show you everything on the island."

Chanyeol smiled and patted Kyungsoo's back a couple of times before turning back and walking towards a pair of locals sitting in the shade on top of the sandstone platform Kyungsoo weaved his basket on.

When they approached, Kyungsoo realized he recognized the two sitting figures. He just didn't know their names. They both are adult Wonder Souls who danced with Chanyeol during the Fire Dragon Passing ceremony.

"This is Kim Hyoyeon," Chanyeol gestured towards the shorter of the two. "And Choi Sooyoung." The taller was introduced.

"And this is Do Kyungsoo!" He turned to smile at the two of them.

Kyungsoo scanned the two of them with his eyes. Both of them seemed to be wearing outfits that looked not much different to the general style of the local villagers, but they had more unique equipment attached to their clothes.

Hyoyeon had a lot of leather belts tied around her torso in crosses, with many strings, ropes, and little gear pieces held onto the straps. While Sooyoung had her forearms covered in thick leather plates of protection, and a harness holding an assortment of different sized knives was wrapped around her left thigh.

He bowed to them politely once the assessment was over. And it seemed like they were doing the same.

Sooyoung stood there with a cold expression and didn't let Kyungsoo continue making eye contact with her for longer than a few seconds.

Hyoyeon on the other hand smiled and approached Kyungsoo to pat his shoulder comfortingly.

"Don't mind her. She's a little upset today." She pointed at Sooyoung with a shrug.

Chanyeol grabbed the large leather bag that waited on the sandstone platform, and a little pouch that sat next to it in his hand. Without even saying anything, he smiled to Kyungsoo and gestured for him to come closer. Which he did, and Chanyeol could tie it onto Kyungsoo's existing outfit's belt.

"There. It's not much, but you're equipped as well now." He smiled at Kyungsoo reassuringly, and Kyungsoo peeked into the pouch, seeing a palm sized knife and a few small rolled strings inside.

He doesn't know what he's going to face in this hunt, but with the equipment the four of them have as a whole, it couldn't possibly be anything too large or dangerous. Kyungsoo knows how to use knives well enough. It's one of the very few basic soldier training that he could fully participate in without needing any powers after all.

Knives, guns, and hand to hand combats.

"Are we going?" Sooyoung asked impatiently, her arms crossed. She averted her posture away at the moment Kyungsoo tried to look at her.

Does she... Have something against him?

 

 

The four of them began making their way towards what Kyungsoo already recognized to be the path that leads to the waterfall and the mountain that has natural greenery.

While crossing through the village however, it seemed that they garnered quite a lot of attention. The good type, too. People smiled and waved at them, wished them good luck, and that they'd come back safely.

This is so different from what Kyungsoo knows. In the empire islands, there's no such thing as hunting, since people are forbidden from going to the jungly surface. But those in charge of providing meat for the residents are definitely not cheered upon.

On the empire islands, all the animals are being rasied in pretty terrible conditions underground, and later disposed of in a cruel manner once it's their time to provide themselves for others.

Kyungsoo wondered what kind of a hunt he'd become a part of by joining this little group.

Sooyoung, who walked at the front, started to turn their direction to walk around the wooden fenced area surrounding the waterfall's meeting spot with the ground itself. which confused Kyungsoo for a moment, because what else could be hunted on this island if not some sort of watery creature?

But as they continued their long walk around the large contained area, green started popping from behind the mountain side.

By the time they made it around, Kyungsoo realized that this island too, has a jungle. It's not as large, definitely not as tall, not as thick or dense as the jungle on his own empire isle, but it was very green, and very friendly looking.

"I had no idea this was here..." He mumbled in genuine surprise from the view. How could he possibly know that there was a small jungle hidden on the other side of the mountain. The mountain is barely taller than the tree tops, and he couldn't see it at all when observing the island from afar...

"Cool, isn't it?"

Chanyeol smiled as they crossed the tree line. Their feet now met with damp earth and greenery instead of the golden sand.

There were all sorts of trees and plants spreaded through the forest. Thick dark wooded trees with tangled branches and heavy green leaves... Thinner, lighter tree trunks that climbed straight up and had almost lime green leaves. And many more, that covered the view of the sky almost entirely except for a few spots from which the sun could sneek through.

On the ground the grass was varying between tall and short. It was thicker and more moist than the grass in the flower field on the other edge of the island.

Thick bushes with different leaves, textures, and shapes covered nearly every available spot, and sometimes, if there was a hint of sunlight in a certain spot, some flowers would grow there. Kyungsoo even spotted strange colorful mushrooms growing near tree trunks in the shade.

Although visually, this forest looked completely different from the one he knows on the empire island, the sounds were almost identical.

The swishing sounds of leaves dancing in the wind passing above, the rattling of bushes and grass from the movement of life around, the subtle distant sounds of various bugs... Kyungsoo knows those well. He heard them every day for years while working at the Dearthers' deck.

It certainly felt weird, and different, to feel that earth against his bare feet. He could feel every little rock, strand of grass or leaf he stepped on. It almost made him feel like he's somehow destroying this beautiful nature by intruding it like this.

"Keep a low profile, we're getting close." Sooyoung whispered back towards the other three after a while of carefully pressing through the greens.

All three of the Wonder Souls lowered their upper bodies at Sooyoung's instruction, and Kyungsoo followed suit.

Indeed, after a minute or so, they found themselves at the very edge of a large sunny grass patch with no trees around. Like a bald spot in the middle of the forest. However, it wasn't empty or lifeless at all.

At the center was a very small lake, or maybe a large puddle, connected to a small stream of water from the side. All around that little body of water, stood a group of creatures Kyungsoo has never seen before.

They looked like very large long legged chickens with a mohawk of horns and a long thin feathery tail.

 

 

"Chanyeol, you brought it, right?" Hyoyeon whispered to him while they were hiding behind a wall of bushes in the shade.

Chanyeol nodded and quickly pulled out a cloth wrapped object from his leather bag. Kyungsoo didn't get the opportunity to ask what it was, before Sooyoung clicked her fingers and urgently signalled for them to follow behind her.

They carefully threaded the path around the sunny forest bald spot, keeping in the shade of the trees, and reached the small flow of water that connects to the tiny lake at the center. At that point, Kyungsoo have expected them to have some sort of sign in which they would all rise up and run to the group of creatures in order to hunt one.

But instead, they went up against the stream of water for a few minutes to catch a distance from them. Confused, Kyungsoo watched how Sooyoung suddenly stopped walking, pulled out a knife from the belt on her thigh, and shoved it into a small batch of greenless dirt by the water.

Without saying a single word, both Hyoyeon and Chanyeol came to that marked spot, and began assembling a unique, fascinating looking trap built out of sticks, strings, and some ropes. It was attached to a rock, and a tree, and a pile of leaves... Something very complex that Kyungsoo couldn't exactly figure out.

Once it was done, Chanyeol pulled out the clothed item from his bag once more. He uncovered the upper part of it, revealing it to be a strange looking mango fruit.

"Kyungsoo, come here." Hyoyeon gestured with her finger for him to approach.

"Could you peel a little bit of this from the top?" Chanyeol asked while holding it carefully in his hands.

Kyungsoo, surprised from his new given role, pulled out the sharp stone knife from his pouch, and carefully began peeling the strange fruit as instructed.

At the very first cut he made, a very pungent smell started emitting from the fruit immediately. Causing Kyungsoo to wince and cough in surprise.

Both Hyoyeon and Chanyeol laughed at his response, but not in a mean way. Rather out of pure amusement. So Kyungsoo didn't feel particularly offended at that.

"Sorry, sorry. We just wanted to see what you'd do..."

Chanyeol smiled cheerfully, and Kyungsoo pouted in his direction for a moment, causing Hyoyeon to chuckle again, before he continued peeling a few more bits off of the strange fruit.

"That should be enough. Thank you." His smile was now softer and honest.

Still holding the fruit only from under the cloth cover, Chanyeol leaned towards the flow of water, and dipped the peeled section into it. Letting it soak for a few moments, before pulling it out again.

He then made it to the carefully built trap, and placed the fruit standing up like a strange egg at the center. With his large hands he covered the cloth bits with a few more leaves from the ground, and looked up at Sooyoung.

"Okay, I'll set it, go find a good cover." She nodded at Chanyeol and leaned down herself, carefully fidgeting with the not quite natural yet not unnatural enough mechanism of the trap they had built.

Hyoyeon found a spot behind a large rock that was resting near a large tree trunk, Sooyoung sat inside a bush, quite close to the trap, and Chanyeol led Kyungsoo and himself to hide behind a large bush dividing the little trap zone and a grassy bit of the forest covered in flowers.

"And now, we wait." Chanyeol whispered.

 

 

Kyungsoo doesn't know how long had passed, but there was no change at all. He was still sitting and watching the trap, and nothing came to it. The sound of the leaves, the water and the bugs around have already turned into white noise for him.

Chanyeol, who has a whole lot more energy than him, already turned around and began doing... Well, something, with a bunch of flowers he picked from the batch behind their hiding bush.

It's not like he wasn't having a good time. But the fact that Sooyoung kept giving him strange looks through their entire journey up to this spot kept making him feel like he's somewhat unwelcome. He could hear Hyoyeon and Sooyoung whispering to one another, and wondered if it had anything to do with it.

"Chanyeol, is Sooyoung always this upset?"

He asked quietly, not letting his eyes off of the trap.

It took a while for Chanyeol to respond, and within that time, Kyungsoo spotted a new noise in the distance.

"Uhm... No. She's really friendly actually. She makes everyone laugh, and is quite loud too." Chanyeol answered, his mind clearly occupied with whatever he is doing behind them.

"Did anything happen to her today then?"

"No, I don't think so." Chanyeol answered again, and things went quiet.

The sounds approaching them from the bottom of the water flow's continuation came from the strange creatures they spotted in the sun before. Kyungsoo recognized them. They are still fairly far.

"Does she not like hunting?" Kyungsoo continued asking in an attempt to figure out why he's feeling so out of place.

"She's our best hunter... Kyungsoo. I uhm... I think she just doesn't like you very much."

Oh, so his gut feeling was correct.

And yet it still felt weirdly personal and painful. But at the same time, he fully accepts that, and agrees with it, even.

"I'm sorry... I didn't think this through. I wanted to show you what it's like to hunt. I didn't know she'd still be angry..." Chanyeol's voice spoke quietly, and had a hint of sadness to it. Kyungsoo wanted to turn and look at Chanyeol, but the sound of the creatures kept getting louder.

"She thinks it was your fault. You know... What happened when you came to the island... She doesn't realize that you did this because you thought Junmyeon was in danger."

Chanyeol explained further, with such innocence, that Kyungsoo felt his heart sting really hard.

No... Kyungsoo really is the one to blame. Kyungsoo is at fault. He was given an order that's true... But he could have stopped it sooner. He could have done it differently. Sixteen lives of innocent fire island people were lost in vain because of him.

Sooyoung has all the rights to be angry and dislike him for that.

He didn't do it because he worried about Junmyeon... He didn't even know Junmyeon was alive. He came to this island with the purpose of killing every single one of the people he's currently hunting with. Every single villager he saw in the beautiful Fire Dragon Passing ceremony.

A dark looming shadow fell on Kyungsoo's heart. He glanced over in Sooyoung's direction, and a strong energy in him made him want to go and hold her hand, to apologize a thousand times for what he had done.

The sound of the creatures had gotten louder though. Loud enough to bring Kyungsoo out of his dark moment and back to the reality that's surrounding him. He could hear them step through the water and brush their bodies against leaves and plants in their path.

Beside him, Chanyeol changed his position as well, and now watched the trap together with Kyungsoo through the bush with interest.

 

 

The atmosphere got a little more intense when a pair of these creatures began approaching the trap. One of them stopped beside it and looked around, as if to stand guard in case enemies were nearby, while the other one stepped right by the trap to examine and sniff out the fruit on the bed of leaves.

These creatures seem to be pretty smart, but also pretty dumb at the same time. Because the amount of time they spent looking and studying their surrounding was minimal compared to how interested they were in the stinky fruit.

After a minute, a third, older looking and larger chicken-like creature paved the way between the two. It went right ahead, stepped onto several of the strings, and dug its beak directly onto the peeled section of the fruit.

At that moment It seemed that the mechanism of the trap had activated. A few clicking noises could be heard from the stone nearby, and before the creature could move, the strings of the trap wrapped around it's legs tightly.

The pair that spent a long time examining the fruit screeched out loudly, then began running back down the flow of water with the rest of the group that followed.

Some more strings were pulled, more noises were made, but eventually, the caught creature was tied enough to become immobile entirely.

Kyungsoo was shocked, but more so impressed by the amazing intricate details that came down to creating this sort of complex and accurate trapping mechanism. If Jongdae saw this he would have lost his mind with excitement about such a device.

Both Sooyoung and Hyoyeon left their hiding spots and made it to the caught creature. Chanyeol exchanged a nod with Kyungsoo and they joined the pair. Now looking at it from up front, Kyungsoo realized that inside the beak of the creature were many small yet sharp teeth. Maybe it's a little more dangerous than he first thought.

"This is a pretty big Cackletooth."

Sooyoung said, expressing more emotions than Kyungsoo has seen, by staring down at the creature impressed. A Cackletooth... Huh. So that's the name of these creatures.

Without any fear or worry, Sooyoung adjusted the leather protective gear on her wrists, and leaned down beside the creature to reach its height. It was about as high as Hyoyeon's hip height, for measure.

She then reached her arm out, and let the cackletooth bite right into her arm over the protective leather plate. She didn't wince or flinch at all. Rather used the tight grip of the teeth into it to carefully shift the cackletooth's position.

Now instead of standing up helplessly, she lowered it to the ground in order to let it lay down on its belly and front. The feathery tail of the creature was long, but not long enough to pose a threat to her.

"Hyoyeonie, would you do the honors?" She then asked, sticking her leg to the side so that Hyoyeon will be able to pull an angled sharp knife out of the strap on her thigh.

After Hyoyeon held the knife in her hand and positioned herself to sit on her knees in front of the creature's head, Sooyoung looked up at Kyungsoo. Her attitude wasn't as cold as before, but she didn't look happy either.

"Before taking from nature, we have to thank it for allowing us the opportunity."

She explained with a nod, then pointed her head lightly to the ground near Hyoyeon, as if to instruct Kyungsoo to sit there as well. An instruction that he had followed right away, and received a tiny smile in return.

Maybe the two of them did talk about him before. Hyoyeon must have worked hard in order to get Sooyoung to show her more friendly side to him.

 

 

"After a life of freedom and glee, we've come to continue the cycle of thee." Hyoyeon began reciting while very gently the creature's head. It seems to be slowly loosening the grip on Sooyoung's armored wrist.

"We thank you for the life already here, and we thank you for the future of our own joy and cheer." Kyungsoo watched the creature in silence. Chanyeol stood behind, holding a piece of cloth in his hands.

"Now to eternal peace you will rise, your time has come, there's none as wise."

Chanyeol kneeled down beside Hyoyeon and placed the piece of cloth over the cackletooth's eyes, then Sooyoung raised her arm a little bit to make sure their neck is exposed.

"Thank you." Hyoyeon said once more, then in a single clean swipe, ended the creature's life without any pain. 

Quickly after the end cut she grabbed the piece of cloth covering their eyes, and wrapped it around their neck instead, preventing it from spreading anywhere in the vicinity.

Sooyoung freed her arm from the beak of the cackletooth, and together with Hyoyeon, they untangled its body from the trap, and tied it up in an easy-to-carry manner with some ropes and cloths.

"Hey, Kyungsoo." Chanyeol called, and when Kyungsoo turned to look, something was placed on top of his head.

Curious, Kyungsoo took it off and stared at it. A large ring shaped... Flower rope? It was like a tangled braid made out of stems, vines, leaves, and tiny white flowers. It looked very pretty.

"It's a flower crown. I made it while we had time to wait."

Chanyeol carefully took it out of Kyungsoo's hands to place it on top of his head again, then smiled warmly down at him with unexpected confidence. There was a shine of genuine joy in his eyes, and his cheeks looked a little flushed. So Kyungsoo didn't bother removing it again.

Instead, he turned to look at the lifeless cackletooth body. This hunt was so much more humane than Kyungsoo has seen anyone in the empire treat any animal ever. And this isn't even such a friendly and harmless one.

He was pretty impressed by how right it felt.

Sure, ending the life of any living creature is hard, but humans were made omnivores for a reason. And the nutritious value of eating meat is important for their bodies. It cannot quite be replaced by anything else.

At least on this fire island even the prey is being respected and treated with care. He doesn't even want to remember what he saw happens on the empire islands when it comes to meat production.

 

 

"Don't be afraid. What's already happened is over. The island loves you, so it's okay to love it too."

Kyungsoo was surprised by Chanyeol's unexpected words. Did his expression give away the terrible images he tried to forget from the empire? He didn't really understand what Chanyeol meant at first anyway, and watched him lean down near the wrapped cackletooth instead.

Without any struggle Chanyeol picked the large body of the creature up and placed it on top of his shoulders, holding onto it tightly so it wouldn't fall or lose balance. A creature of this size must definitely be quite heavy, but it looked like Chanyeol was carrying nothing more than a feather. Maybe two.

Kyungsoo felt his stomach tingle a little from the sight he had of Chanyeol's back when they began making their way to the forest's bald spot again. 

Maybe Chanyeol's words were the confirmation he needed to hear about the way he is being percieved on the island. Has he established himself as a part of the island folk yet? Has he cemented the fact that he wants to be it, at least?

Kyungsoo wasn't sure.

But he was quickly distracted by Sooyoung stepping back from the front of the group, to walking beside him.

"Even though there are many herds of Cackletooths around the area, we only hunt once a month in order to maintain the balance of this jungle." She explained. Chanyeol and Hyoyeon were walking in front and talking cheerfully.

"I'm going to be honest, Kyungsoo. I don't know you. I don't know your story," She spoke a little quieter and looked forward in their path with a serious expression.

"You brought a lot of sadness to our people..." She sighed, Kyungsoo felt his chest tighten. "But you've brought a lot of happiness, too."

Huh...?

Kyungsoo's eyes widened as he stared at her in surprise. Her expression shifted from seriousness to neutral, and from that into an amused smile. She raised her arm and smacked Kyungsoo's back in a friendly manner.

"You should join us next month as well. You can come without Chanyeol, too. He's just a big baby."

There was a lot of tease in her voice, but all of Kyungsoo's worries and fears about having to continue facing her in the village had vanished. She really is what Chanyeol said she was. An amazing lady with a noble heart.

"Oh... Thank you. You're really good at this. The trap the three of you built was so clever." Kyungsoo replied with an encouraged nod, which caused Sooyoung to laugh and smack him on the back once more.

"I'm the best around! You better try harder next time if you plan on catching up."

Her bright red eyes curved with a wide smile, and Kyungsoo felt a slightly familiar sensation. For just a split of a second, Sooyoung reminded him of Seungsoo, his older brother. Maybe they share the same type of humor. Maybe it's something about the smile. But it felt nice regardless.

 

 

By the time they've made it out of the forest, the sun was already past the middle of the sky. Kyungsoo still found it difficult to accept just how easy it was for Chanyeol to carry this large creature all the way back to the village without even breaking a sweat.

He really wasn't up for invading someone's personal safety space with his curious eyes. And yet...

It didn't stop him from sneaking glances over Chanyeol at every given opportunity on their way back. 

What's wrong with him? He's just digging himself into a hole by doing this.

Kyungsoo shook his head and exhaled with relief when the four of them finally made it into the village's paths.

As they walked through towards the kitchen attached to the dining room, Kyungsoo noticed how much of a big deal this hunting trip really was. He knew they only hunted once a month, but he didn't expect to see this much excitement.

Children who spotted them passing by flocked to march beside them and cheer happily. They kept asking the three hunters endless qustions and chattering about how cool they are, how strong, how skilled they are for being able to hunt like that.

It was pretty adorable, and Kyungsoo felt oddly included when the children didn't shy away from asking him just as many questions and praised him with just as much energy as the three other hunters who actually did the job.

The workers in the kitchen seemed extremely satisfied with the large scale of a feast they could provide the village with the haul they had brought.

Once the group gathered at the center of the village again, everyone took their special hunting gear off, and Chanyeol volunteered to return it to the storage shack.

"It looks good on you. He's pretty good at making those."

Sooyoung complimented the flower crown Kyungsoo had already forgotten was resting on his head. 

"He only made those for the kids in order to teach them how to do it though, so don't worry." She added with a small wink.

He didn't feel exactly... Awkward, he simply didn't understand what this crown is all about, or why Chanyeol had given it to him.

"See you later, Kyungsoo!" Hyoyeon waved as both her and Sooyoung made their way into one of the structures of the village.

Shortly after, Chanyeol returned. A smile lit up across his face when he easily examined the flower crown on top of Kyungsoo's head once more. He looked very satisfied from the fact that Kyungsoo was wearing it, so there was no harm in keeping it on.

 

 

Indeed, for the rest of the entire day, or well, afternoon, the crown remained on Kyungsoo's head. Chanyeol and him simply spent the time relaxing on the sandstone platform at the village's center patio.

When the sky was taken over by pink and orange shades, a special new scent carried in the air through the entire village. It smelled like a meal so good that Kyungsoo would remember it for a lifetime.

It was meaty yet sweet, salty but also spiced. Both Chanyeol and Kyungsoo found themselves drooling just from thinking about the flavor.

That evening the entrance to the dining room was crowded with excitement even ahead of the opening time. People flocked to the tables at the moment the door opened. And despite the ruckus and chaos, nobody was harmed or upset in the process.

After the elder from the council had blessed the people and expressed gratitude for the hunters for the treat, what otherwise would have been a normal dinner, turned into a whole celebration.

People were eager and excited to eat from the incredible looking meaty stew, praising the hunters, the chefs, the day of the month for being what it is. The energy was high and positive. Although Kyungsoo wasn't particularly one to celebrate in that manner, watching everyone else being this happy made him feel good as well.

The food was delicious, to say the least. Kyungsoo, along with every other person present in the room that evening, grabbed seconds and even thirds from the large stew bowls at the center of each table. Kyungsoo doesn't remember ever eating something this tasty. Or maybe simply eating with happy company makes everything taste better.

After the large fulfilling and pleasant meal, everyone scattered either to the communal sleeping house, or to do a few more things before heading there.

Chanyeol remained inside of the dining room for a little while longer when Kyungsoo exit, in order to chat some more with Sooyoung and Hyoyeon about their hunt.

 

 

While Kyungsoo was standing outside and waiting for him, he saw Baekhyun and Yixing approaching him, talking to one another, but clearly about him since they kept giving him smiling glances.

"Hey flower boy, nice crown." Baekhyun complimented with a smile, then winked and shot him a finger gun before Yixing and him went on their way.

Oh, Kyungsoo completely forgot he had it on his head still. Many people already told him it's nice, so he might as well keep it until he's going to bed.

Junmyeon and Sehun waved him goodbye while passing him, Jongdae and Minseok seemed to be very playful, nudging against one another while giggling and smiling in Kyungsoo's direction.

"Kyungsoo, where did you get this from?" Minseok asked, gesturing to his crown.

"Chanyeol made it during the hunt."

Jongdae and Minseok exchanged a knowing look with one another, then grinned at Kyungsoo in a manner that looked both completely innocent but at the same time very suspiciously menacing.

"Chanyeol~ Huh~ He must be happy you're wearing it." Jongdae hummed. "See you tomorrow!" The two quickly scrammed away with a wave and devilish giggles.

Jongin too, stepped out of the dining room, this time without any children attached to his every limb. He looked tired and his hair was matted to his forehead like an obvious reminder that he spent the day sweating.

"Oh, you look like a wreck. Are you alright?"

Kyungsoo approached his friend and very gently removed a few strands of his matted hair out of his eyes. Jongin submissively lowered his head to allow Kyungsoo better access. He yawned lazily, but once his eyes were cleared, Kyungsoo felt them gazing at him.

A warm smile grew across Jongin's lips.

"Oh my gem, Kyungsoo, did Chanyeol make it for you? You look so cute!" His tired eyes squinted with happiness when Jongin carefully touched the crown on top of Kyungsoo's head.

Kyungsoo felt his own eyes widen in surprise. Cute...? Him...? With this flower crown? His heart skipped, his cheeks flushed, and his muscles tensed from the realization of what he had done.

He spent the entire day wearing this silly crown thinking it must have some sort of important meaning to the people of this island, which was obviously why he kept receiving compliments about it, only to realize at the end of the day that... He just looked... Cute?

Embarrassed and overrun with shyness, Kyungsoo quickly grabbed onto the flower crown and gripped it in his hand. His instinct was to throw it down on the ground, but he remembered how much time and effort Chanyeol spent making it for him, so he wouldn't do that.

But still, he felt like he's been tricked. And now he'll continue being embarrassed by it forever...

"I'm so jealous! If I knew how to make those I'd make one for myself as well."

He laughed out, looking brighter and much more satisfied with himself after the encounter. But his expression changed again to one that looked slightly nervous.

"Say, uhm. Are you still sleeping in the ship every night?" Jongin asked. A very unexpected question. It was enough to distract Kyungsoo away from his internal shyness tantrum.

"I do. Why?"

"Oh. Nothing, no reason, I just wanted to know." Jongin quickly backtracked his own intentions, placing a hand on his hip and the other on the back of his neck while averting his eyes away from Kyungsoo's, to the ground.

"Have you... Gotten any messages from the Commander in Chief...? Or anyone else? On the Talkie, I mean."

Kyungsoo's eyebrow rose in suspicion, but he shook his head to give Jongin's questions a negative answer. Now that he thinks about it, a long time had passed since the Talkies have been in use.

Something pretty serious must be going on with the plans in the empire if it's taking this long for his brother to give him the next order of action.

The way he was staring at Jongin must have been very obviously questioning, because Jongin sighed out like he had been pressed to answer a question. Except nobody asked him anything.

"I just, really miss someone and  I was wondering if I could use it. But I mean, not right now, since it's late, you know."

Jongin seemed either shy, or nervous, or maybe even excited? Somewhere in between while he spoke. Like he was struggling with something internally, but hey, who is Kyungsoo to judge? He's not any better. All of his struggles always remain internal.

"I will help you connect it tomorrow morning. Come to the ship when you wake up, alright?" Kyungsoo replied, cutting the hesitation in Jongin's expression.

Instead he smiled, his eyes crinkling. Jongin's smile is really beautiful when it's genuine. But it's nothing like Chanyeol's....Ugh. He's done it again.

Kyungsoo had to curse at himself in his own mind to get the image of Chanyeol's grin out. Not everything is about Chanyeol, why can't his brain understand that?

"Thank you. I will come in the morning for sure!" Jongin exclaimed cheerfully while grabbing Kyungsoo's hand and shaking it in tired excitement. "Good night for now!" He released the hold and quickly made his way to the island's sleeping house.

Kyungsoo was left staring down at the flower crown in his hand. It almost felt like the stems of the flowers in the crowns slowly climbed over his whole arm up to the shoulder... To the chest, wrapped around his heart... Did Chanyeol think he looked cute with the crown as well?

His ears and cheeks started feeling hotter, and it brought him back out from little state of trance. The stems of the crown haven't moved. Kyungsoo sighed and ran a hand over his face. He is not cute. But why the thought of Chanyeol finding him cute made him so annoyingly happy? Ugh.

 

 

Eventually, Kyungsoo shunned his own Chanyeol related thoughts away, but when he finally did, Chanyeol stepped out of the dining room with a wide smile. He blinked surprised at the lack of flowers on top of Kyungsoo's head, but quickly approached him and placed his large hand onto Kyungsoo's arm.

For a moment Kyungsoo thought he saw Chanyeol's hand reaching down to grab Kyungsoo's own hands, but it seemed he changed his mind and masked it with another action instead.

"Kyungsoo! Will you sleep with me?"

He smiled down at Kyungsoo innocently.

Kyungsoo's brain plummeted into a spiral of the terrible inappropriate connotations such a question could entail with different intentions behind it. But considering how excited and soft Chanyeol is, he must mean it for the pure meaning of the word.

Sleep with him...? Is he inviting him to the large communical housing...?

"I know we made you the basket and all so that you'd have food in the morning on your ship... But, I had a lot of fun waiting with you during our hunting trip. And I thought that even if sleeping is just being silent together... It'd be fun!"

Oh, that clarified a lot. And also confirmed to Kyungsoo that he is a disgusting nasty man with a mind he needs to train to contain. It ran way too wild for his own comfort and safety when he heard the question with no context.

"O-Oh... Sleeping together in your room?" Kyungsoo asked, just to make sure he understood it absolutely right.

"Yeah! Ever since Junmyeon moved to a room with Sehun, the other bed in mine stayed empty. So I was thinking... If you're not tired of me, that it would be nice..."

Chanyeol's confidence started to deteriorate the longer Kyungsoo took to answer what he had known he would have answered no matter what connotations the question's intention was.

His smile slowly lessened and Kyungsoo felt the urgency to reassure Chanyeol that he hasn't done anything wrong. In fact, being invited like this made Kyungsoo so incredibly happy.

"No." Kyungsoo quickly said, tugging to Chanyeol's sleeve. He wasn't getting tired of Chanyeol at all. He didn't want him to become sad. But Chanyeol's eyes widened, and Kyungsoo panicked again. 

"I mean yes. Yes! I want to--- Uh--- Sleep with you, in your room... Like you said."

Kyungsoo felt his heart rate increasing and his grip on Chanyeol was released before it would have gotten too tight and desperate. He's just so confused, and happy, and nervous, still embarrassed about the flower crown, and ashamed for thinking sleeping together could mean anything different than the literal meaning of that.

The two stared at each other for several seconds in silence of uncertainty, but Chanyeol burst into a short laughter right after, and grinned at Kyungsoo. Ah, Kyungsoo will never get tired of seeing that beautiful shine in his eyes when he's happy.

 

 

"Okay!"

Chanyeol chuckled again, and with Kyungsoo feeling so embarrassed he wants to bury his head in the sand, a very satisfied and excited Chanyeol led the way to his room in the communal bedding structure. He greeted every face they passed a good night with a smile as well.

Kyungsoo sulked shyly until they made it to the door. But once it opened, he decided to shift his energy, and turned his fast paced heart's excitement into curiousity.

The room was fairly small, made out of carved and chiseled sandstone surfaced on the walls, ceiling and floor. A thin window with the view of the tower's spiral stairs stood right between the two beds on each side of the room. Beaneath it, a wooden shelf with a little bubble made of glass, that Chanyeol lit up with a tiny flame.

Chanyeol made a few big steps and sat on the bed on the right side of the room, smiling and gesturing to the other, which looked clean and neatly set. Like it has been recently taken care of to look this fresh.

"What do you think?"

"It's very nice." Kyungsoo replied, sitting onto his own bed, and realizing just how soft and comfortable the mattress actually is. The mattresses coming from the empire are all hard and cold.

He carefully placed Chanyeol's hand made flower crown on the little shelf in the room.

The two of them lied down in their beds and wrapped themselves in their covers. Kyungsoo was... Very comfortable. To say the least. The soft bed was him down and softening under his tired muscles. He felt like at the moment he'd shut his eyes, he'll fall asleep. 

So before he does that, he turned his head to look in Chanyeol's direction. That's when he realized something was quite unfair. The bed is a perfect fit for someone who is Kyungsoo sized. But when looking at the way Chanyeol lies in his bed, it's obvious that he's way too large for that frame and mattress.

Despite that, he looked very peaceful and happy. Even a little too happy, he kept giggling and moving around in his bed, letting a different limb hang out of the bed's frame at a time.

Kyungsoo would have asked about it... But Chanyeol just looked so... Soft. So sweet and cosy.

Something in him made Kyungsoo almost wish Chanyeol could become a blanket just so he'd be able to snuggle with him looking this sleepily pleased with himself.

"Thank you for today. Thank you for inviting me to be your roommate for the night." Kyungsoo mumbled quietly between the covers, but it was loud enough that Chanyeol could hear it clearly.

"Thank you for accepting and wearing the flower crown today... You are very cute. And it made me very happy."

Chanyeol's voice was equally as muffled as Kyungsoo's by the covers... But Kyungsoo heard it loud and clear.

It was so warm and deep. Coming straight out of Chanyeol's heart. Immediately causing Kyungsoo's mind to go blank.

He huffed out a rushed little "Good night." before turning himself over to face the wall. Curling into the bed and snuggling with the warm thick blanket that kept him safe and hidden in the soft cocoon of warmth.

His heart was drumming in his ears and he felt his lower face stretching to the sides.

Kyungsoo was... Smiling.