Chapter 8

Violet

 

Kyungsoo opened his eyes. There was no metalic frame holding a tough mattress above him, but a smooth sand ceiling.

For the first time on the island, Kyungsoo doesn't remember his dream. For the first time he woke up naturally, his body refilled with energy. For the first time... He wasn't haunted by any nightmares that usually leave him sweaty in the sheets.

When he turned his head to the room surrounding him, he saw the little wooden shelf, on which on top rests the flower crown Chanyeol made for him, and next to it, a little empty glass ball that no longer contains any fire.

The sun rays coming from the window were bright enough to light up the room, but not too strongly to hurt the eyes. The temeprature was cool as well, as opposed to the bundle of pleasant warmth his body created under the blanket all night.

Beyond the wooden shelf stood the second bed in the room, and although a part of Kyungsoo wanted to spot Chanyeol still lying there asleep, he was a little relieved that the room was empty but himself.

He allowed himself to yawn loudly and take the time to appreciate just how comfortable he is before pushing his consciousness and body into fully awakening.

If Chanyeol was there they probably would have done something, but since he's gone at the moment, Kyungsoo has the time to fulfill his other responsibilities. Last night Jongin and he made a plan, and it seems to be about time for that plan to take place.

He was surprised when he found out that the ground floor of this bedding house actually has a toilet. A public toilet with seats, sinks, and showers that everyone can use whenever they want. Just like on the ship, he got himself ready for the day, interrupted only momentarily by having to greet several people who also came to use the large toilet section.

 

 

The sand under his feet on the way to the ship was still a little moist, and not quite as hot as it normally gets during the day, so Kyungsoo took his time to breathe in the fresh morning air and clear his lungs and mind.

When he exit the village's gate he spotted Jongin standing right by the ship, it seems like he had just arrived here as well, so Kyungsoo didn't need to feel bad for making him wait or anything of that sort.

A smile spread across Jongin's lips when Kyungsoo arrived and unlocked the ship's entrance, releasing the mechanism that drops down the metalic stairs leading into it's front.

"I'm a little excited. I never got to talk on a Talkie before." Jongin admitted when the two of them made their way towards the back of the parked aircraft and towards the nook beside the sleeping chambers.

"It's not that exciting."

Kyungsoo stated while sitting down on the little stool-like chair in front of the large machine. He then pulled out the notebook of different communication channels from the pocket on the side of the machine, and began flipping through the pages.

Jongin chuckled lightly and provided Kyungsoo with the information of the communication channel he wished to connect to, then watched how Kyungsoo carefully and skillfully started switching the different dials underneath the screen and pressing a few buttons to match the details in the notebook.

With a general and simple explanation, Kyungsoo demonstrated to Jongin how to hold each piece of the machine with the wires, and reminded him that he has to say 'Over' at the end of his words, and has to press the button and hold it down in order to keep his output voice channel active.

Jongin, being the ace of a learner that he is from the beginning of his path as a trainee soldier, did everything exactly as Kyungsoo instructed when he was given the seat and the access to the machine.

It looked a little funny. A large man such as Jongin sitting on the little chair within this little space in front of the machine... Even the wired cup-shaped devices he had to hold to his ear and mouth looked incredibly small in his palms.

And yet, his energy and excited smile looked like those of a child experiencing something magical for the first time. 

Jongin really is one of the best people Kyungsoo knows. Whoever he is this eager to communicate with through this Talkie is very lucky.

His body jerked a little, and Kyungsoo assumed he has been redirected into the system to reach the destination. A few seconds of tense waiting later, and the widest happiest smile took over Jongin's entire face.

"Taeminie! Oh my gem! It's so good to hear your voice again... Oh wow, I don't even know what to say..." Jongin spoke, all of the anticipation and excitement channeled out, but they quickly turned into something more deeply emotional and warm. 

Kyungsoo had to mouth the word 'Over' for Jongin to remember to remember to use it.

He felt a little intrusive, but he wanted to make sure Jongin understood the way the machine worked perfectly before leaving him alone with it and risking him needing help in the middle of something important being exchanged.

It was cute. Seeing Jongin's whole body move and react so strongly to whatever he is being said, or saying. His face bright and happy, switching between emotions and expressions, while his body either jerks, shakes, twirls, moves or just shifts around.

Kyungsoo only stayed for a little while, until Jongin got used to having to say 'Over' at the end of each time he spoke. He heard him ask questions about the state of the empire, how Taemin's life is going, and other things.

At that point there was no reason for him to stay and watch. He'd just be invading their privacy by eavesdropping unintentionally. So he left the little nook and went to the center of the ship. While sitting and waiting for the call to be done, he grabbed onto the basket he had left there the day before.

Following the pattern of weaving with the tips of his fingers, Kyungsoo kept thinking about how delicious the fruits, or generally, all foods on this island are. How much more lively this island looks as a whole even though most of the view contains the golden yellow of sand.

He thought about the tiny little jungle hidden behind the waterfall's mountain, which wasn't exactly tall enough to be considered a mountain, rather a hill like he guessed at first. How much more does this island have to offer?

This little piece of paradise keeps giving and giving to its residents... But the residents too, make sure to continue giving to the land itself. This balanced exchange and utmost respect to their island is what keeps them thriving... It's something the empire islands have lost long ago.

The empire islands... A collection of large rocky mountains and thick scary jungles separated into islands that each are larger than this entire fire island as a whole.

But they're dark, protected by the Water Carrier's constant supply of clouds and rain to keep the islands hidden from intruders. It is forbidden to interact with the jungly nature on the island's surface... Maybe that's exactly why the islands are still alright. Because the cores of those islands are emptied and replaced with electronical, stone and metal cities and military bases that house all of the Carriers.

Because the empire is too much of a coward to face nature head on.

The only thing similar between the scary empire islands and the beautiful fire island, was the large gem crystal attached to it at the bottom and core. Except... While the fire island's gem beats like a heart, the empire islands' gems are scary and unstable.

They're locked away under layers of rooms and protection. Even pilots of the empire are never allowed to fly a certain distance near them due to how dangerous they are.

That's how they've been for a thousand years. That is how Kyungsoo, his crew, and Junmyeon know them. Only Yixing still believes that it can somehow be changed.

 

 

Kyungsoo's been drifting through his thoughts about the empire, the fire island, the gems, and many more things, until Jongin had finally exit the machine's nook.

He looked beyond happy. His eyes were shining with bliss and his lips just wouldn't curve down below a bright smile. Kyungsoo was pulled back to reality by just how much positivity was radiating out of his friend. 

Without saying much, Kyungsoo headed to the machine one final time in order to make sure the communication channel was disconnected, to shut the machine down, and scramble the dials out of the current net to confirm it won't cause any mistakes to the system.

When he made it back to the center of the ship, Jongin was sitting spraewled on several seats, and grinning.

"How'd it go?" Kyungsoo asked while finding himself a spot at the opposite row of seats.

"Amazing... I missed Taeminie so much. He was really happy to hear from me too... Ah... I wish I would have brought an image of him with me on this mission."

Jongin voice was bubbly. To Kyungsoo it looked like somehow, he had been recharged. Like some sort of electrical force unit that requires regenerated energy to work. Kyungsoo cannot blame him though. They've been out of the empire for two months now. It's a long time to be away from people that are important to them. 

Not many people know about the connection between Jongin, a skilled Tele Carrier, an all rounded high regarded rookie soldier, and Taemin, a famous Water Carrier, the nephew and only living family member of the emperor.

In fact, even Kyungsoo doesn't quite know how they have come to build that sort of connection. But he does know that the two of them would do anything for one another. And despite having been forced to go on such different paths in their lives, their love simply doesn't die out.

"Is everything going well over there?" Kyungsoo asked vaguely, since he doesn't want to push Jongin into revealing private details.

"From what I understood, yeah. Nothing seemed to have changed. The emperor is as busy as ever... The sky is still grey and the people are still under the ground." 

Jongin shifted his position to sit only on a single seat, albeit in a strange position, and smiled to Kyungsoo with renewed subtle excitement.

"He was so happy and fascinated by the island! I told him everything about it. How small it is, about the endless sun and the sand, about the amazing foods and colors. The children are so smart and adorable, the elders are really kind and wise," He began speaking, taking Kyungsoo under the feeling of fascination even though he already knows all of it.

"When I told him about the Fire Dragon Passing ceremony he whined sooo much that he wants to see it too."

He grinned and chuckled, then ran a hand over his hair. Kyungsoo only then noticed just how much longer his hair has grown from the moment they've arrived at the island. Light brown, soft and silky, untied and loosely hanging around his neck and shoulders.

"He also said he really misses me... He wants to kiss me... And have se---"

"Okay, okay." Kyungsoo quickly stopped him with a raise of his hand, feeling his own cheeks slightly heat up just from the unwanted images of the two unbearably handsome men expressing any physical closeness to one another.

Jongin laughed out loud with satisfaction, then grinned happily and let his body lean backwards and head lul to look upwards at the ship's metalic ceiling.

"I really want to bring him here... I wish we could stay here forever. Taeminie... Me... our unit, and Junmyeon. I've never felt as alive as I do on this island." He admitted in a softer tone.

Kyungsoo stared at him for a little while, really taking his words to heart. It would definitely be the ultimate best situation... If all of them could stay here and spend their lives in this peaceful beautiful place.

However... He knows it is impossible. In fact, chances are that no other person from the empire will ever see this island and experience it like they were fortunate enough to.

Kyungsoo can only hope that his brother will manage to successfully divert the empire's unclenchable need for the destruction of the island into something that wouldn't cause it any harm... After all, only Seungsoo knows what this island truly is like...---

 

 

"Wait, Jongin... You... You told Taemin about this island and what's on it...?" Kyungsoo's whole body tensed up, his eyes wide as the realization started dripping into his consciousness.

"Yeah, of course I would. I want him to know what I've been doing all this time."

If that information about the island spreads in the empire, it could cause quite a mess. Kyungsoo already knows about the different opinions the empire's residents have towards this island... Those for the kill, and those for the mercy.

But with details as intricate as ceremonies, food types, information about the people and how they treat each other and their island... Those with different opinions in the empire will only get more extreme.

Kyungsoo can already imagine exactly how the conflict would ensue. Those who believe that information is true will rise up against the punishment with even more force, which will push the opposition to get even more hostile and aggressive and try to claim the information is false. That it was fabricated in order to trick the people into having hope and trusting the evil Branbers.

More than anything... The danger of this information spreading would be the military implications. After all, the only reason the military exists is to protect the empire from the possibly dangerous Branbers.

But those in the high positions to create a change have already had their brain washed for a thousand years, and they'd definitely side with those that call for the island to be destroyed once and for all.

Unless... They manage to prove it.

"Kyungsoo? What's with that face?" Jongin asks, looking at Kyungsoo with curiousity and concern.

Kyungsoo could to think of a plan to provide evidence of the island being harmless and peaceful. If they manage to convince the emperor with proof, surely, he'd be logical enough and wise enough to make the right decision.

"I... I think maybe we shouldn't tell anyone else about the island..."

Maybe it won't be necessary at all. Taemin is to be trusted, after all. But just to which extent? Kyungsoo doesn't know.

Jongin looked at Kyungsoo puzzled for a few moments, but when his mind clicked his eyes widened, and he immediately grabbed onto Kyungsoo's arm nervously.

"Kyungsoo---... I'm sorry... I didn't realize---... I completely forgot that I'm a soldier...." His other hand covered the lower half of his face.

"B-But Taeminie can be trusted. I'm sure of it. He understands the situation better than anyone... Since he's always around the emperor and all... I know he won't say anything to anyone."

Jongin's confidence slowly returned, he let go of Kyungsoo and gestured his arms around while talking, as if trying to convince both Kyungsoo and himself of his words.

And he was right. Taemin is someone that Kyungsoo should be able to trust. He knows him well, and he knows he would never do anything to harm Jongin like that. Plus, the emperor himself might be in the talks with Seungsoo about the island too, so any information about it getting out of the palace has a very low chance of happening.

"It's alright Jongin. I do think Taemin can be trusted. I apologize for not reminding you of this before... But it's alright. And I'm glad that you got to talk to him. You look better."

Kyungsoo calmed himself down and spoke gently, Jongin's arm in a comforting manner, since the energy in the ship had spiked into stress after they realized what had gone down.

"Really, it's okay. We'll make sure the island stays okay." Kyungsoo said once more, not quite smiling, but trying his best to expand his relaxing intentions onto Jongin. Who seemed to receive them very well and ease down.

"You're right... I will also do my best." He nodded with yet another switch of energy. Turning from finally calming down into positive determination. And honestly, that was good. That was something Kyungsoo would gladly handle and encourage.

"Thank you for letting me talk with him. I do feel a lot better."

Jongin smiled warmly and stood up from his seat, stretching his arms to the sides and running a hand through his hair to ruffle it lightly.

Kyungsoo will have to think of something fast. With or without the information spreading, giving solid proof for the island being a safe and peaceful community is one good chance to ensure its survival.

He'll have to begin discussing this matter soon. Junmyeon would surely be needed, and Yixing, who has been recording every bit of information about this island in his endless notes, who has been fighting for the sake of keeping the island safe even before they arrived to it, would definitely be able to provide them with a lot of necessary help.

Maybe Jongin too, could provide inside information thanks to Taemin, and also bring the energy that's needed to tackle such a matter.

After making sure the ship was in order, both Jongin and Kyungsoo went down the stairs and back onto the soft, now hotter sand of the island. Kyungsoo shut the entrance behind them, and they began making their way back towards the village's arched gate.

 

 

Just at that moment, they see two figures walk out. And after a few steps, they recognize them. Yixing and Jongdae. Walking together and chatting about something that made them both laugh.

Once they were spotted, they looked a little nervous, chatted with one another once more, and then the distance between the two pair closed.

"Hey, good morning." Jongdae called with a smile.

"Very good morning to me indeed!" Jongin grinned with hands on his hips.

After explaining he was able to chat with Taemin, both Yixing and Jongdae nodded with an understanding smile and cheered him on.

"What about you two? Why are you going to the ship?" Jongin provided the exact questions Kyungsoo wanted to know the answers to. 

It is part of his job to be responsible for the ship, and although he had given them full freedom to roam and do what they want, the ship is still his to watch over and his unit members going there without his knowledge is a little strange.

Yixing didn't say anything as an answer, but Jongdae gave Yixing a little glance, then smiled instead.

"Yixing needs some more paper and ink, but he doesn't have the key to the ship... So he asked me, since I'm the ship's mechanic, after all." Jongdae responded, raising his hand a little to gesture in a way that gives him a more credible confident look.

Oh, that makes sense. Kyungsoo knows Yixing has been writing nonstop from the moment they've arrived. If Kyungsoo still discovers new things on the island after two months, Yixing surely does too. 

"Ahhh. Whoa, Yixing, you really are a beast." Jongin laughed and happily pet his arm, and Yixing nodded with a smile.

"Have a nice day then, see you around!"

Jongdae ushered his way across, separating the two pairs and putting them back in motion after they've stopped to talk. The four of them exchanged friendly waves and continued on their own directions.

It was nice seeing Jongdae this cheerful and bright again. Before reaching the island he was troubled with his own morals and duty as a soldier on a mission. But ever since they came to the island, he's come to terms with the new surroundings and learned how to love it.

Even better, seeing him this cheerful and bright with Yixing.

At the gate Jongin and Kyungsoo parted ways as well, and Kyungsoo easily made his way to the center of the village, where it'd be easy for Chanyeol to find him in case that'd be his goal.

One thing he found a little strange about the short encounter with Yixing and Jongdae, however, was the fact that Yixing was not carrying his leather bag with him.

Everywhere he goes, Kyungsoo saw him wearing the bag over his shoulder and chest, so he'd always have the storage of papers and ink with him. And when he goes to refill his supplies he doesn't bring it along?

Oh well, Yixing is one strange man. So he wouldn't be too surprised he did that for the sake of keeping the bag in order somewher safe. Maybe he forgot it, or just didn't think he needed it for the task.

 

 

Kyungsoo didn't even notice right away when Chanyeol approached and sat beside him on the sandstone platform.  His mind was clearly some place else, and he felt a little bad that Chanyeol won't be receiving the entirety of his attention. Since his mind is still busy thinking of the consequences that might come from the island's information spreading in the empire.

"Hey, I have a better idea for today."

Chanyeol smiled and stood up after Kyungsoo had given him only short and distracted answers to any other question. Even to the 'How are you' he reponded with just 'Good' and silenced again.

"You seem to be nervous about something, so we'll do something nice and calm." He stated with confidence, and walked off somewhere. Returning a few minutes later with a woven basket. Bigger and deeper than the one Kyungsoo made for himself.

The two then went to the fields and picked out a few of their favorite crops. Not enough to satisfy them instead of a dinner, but it'll last them until it's time for the real meal in the village's dining room.

Once their basket was full of all colorful sweet smelling goods, Chanyeol led their way towards what Kyungsoo remembered to be the entrance to the large underground library, and red gem heated room. But instead of going inside, Chanyeol took a turn to the left, and began climbing the mountain to which that entrance is attached.

Well, it isn't quite a mountain. When looking at the waterfall's source from inside the village's side, it looks more like a large hill. Because it isn't tall enough or rocky enough to be a mountain, yet hides the existence of the entire little jungle behind it. Only from the hidden jungle side of the hill, it actually looks like mountain due to the sharper edges and more of a steep downwards curvature.

The climb up was surprisingly easy. The base of the hill was made out of the same soft sand spreaded through the entire island. Only when they reached a little higher the ground turned hard and brown. Greenery started gradually taking over, until the very top of the hill was nothing but a grassy flower field.

Kyungsoo's mind started, just like the greenery on the hill, gradually relax and open up. Instead of sinking in thoughts he actually paid attention to his surroundings.

At the very top of the hill was located a perfectly circular body of water. It was unexpectedly small for a source of water that creates such a large waterfall when reaching the edge of the hill's cliff, but when Kyungsoo gave it a closer look, he noticed he couldn't even see the bottom of it from just how deep it must be.

The water was peaceful and clear, Kyungsoo saw his own reflection subtly moving in the water. The sound of the waterfall by the edge was like pleasant white noise that swallows all other noises into a stable background.

When Kyungsoo turned back, Chanyeol had already placed the basket down and sat on a large batch of grass with a smile.

Chanyeol looks... good. On a hill like this, with the view of the jungly little forest on one side, the sandy village on the other, and the crop and flower fields seen from the edge of the waterfall... All of it together looked magical from his spot.

Without hesitation, he sat down beside Chanyeol on the grass, and they began feasting on their fruity treasure.

They were done fairly quickly, and Chanyeol expressed his satisfaction by laying down on the grass, long limbs spreaded in all directions. His eyes shut.

Kyungsoo couldn't help but look at him lengthily.

His soft hair was dancing lightly along with the flowers nearby thanks to the breeze that passes often, the sun from above made his skin glisten and shine like it was made out of sweet precious gold. 

Can he really deny the fact that he finds Chanyeol attractive anymore? Not really. He could try to hide it from others, but today was like the final straw he could no longer hold.

Chanyeol was really attractive. Really good looking. Really strong. Really funny, really kind, really careful, gentle, caring, thoughtful, warm, talented, smart...

Kyungsoo could never run out of positive things to attach to Chanyeol's name.

He hated having to constantly battle his own body to try and reduce just how easily and largely it reacts to every little thing Chanyeol does. The heat that spreads through his body often consumed his whole mind.

But despite the struggle, Kyungsoo thought it was worth it. He felt weirded out by his own self, at this weird type of... Addiction, for lack of a better known word, to the way Chanyeol makes him feel.

At least Chanyeol makes him... Well, feel. Feel a lot. Which is something Kyungsoo is very unfamiliar with.

 

 

Kyungsoo let his own body fall onto the soft bed of grass, but he couldn't shut his green eyes. Instead, he kept watching the soft white clouds passing by.

He felt so small. Small compared to the hill, to the village, to the island... He felt small compared to the empire, to the rest of the islands... To the world.

And yet how can something so small... Feel so much?

He doesn't know what Chanyeol did or how he did it, but ever since he arrived to the island, Chanyeol made him just... Feel a whole lot.

In the empire he had always doubted himself and his own mind. Since he is a Lightless in secret, he knew his value as a living human being was worth less by default. But even then, he had to stick to what he knows, and never allowed his emotions and thoughts to get ahead of his role as a soldier who fulfills the empire's orders.

However now, on this beautiful little island, where all of the Wonder Souls and Teachers are so in tune with their feelings, so expressive, warm, honest, and kind, Kyungsoo noticed that his own emotions started showing as well.

By now he had already seen proof for his crew's emotions breaching outwards with no restraints as well, and it was beautiful.

Kyungsoo actually... Feels. And thinks. He makes choices of his own, choices that go beyond orders given by someone else. It's something he's not used to, something he's never known was possible.

Being his own person instead of living in the mindset in which he is simply a piece of property that belongs to the empire, is strange, and refreshing.

Chanyeol brought his heart out so easily... And he could suddenly understand Jongin's words a lot better. Kyungsoo too, feels alive. He feels worthy. He feels like he truly exists.

He wants this feeling to continue. This peace, the grass under the tips of his fingers, the presence of Chanyeol beside him, someone who truly wants to be in his company no matter exams, or tests, or scores or missions. 

There are so many things he wants to learn about Chanyeol.

"Chanyeol, you're twenty four, right?"

"Yes. And I remember, you're twenty three."

Twenty four... Just like Baekhyun and Jongdae.

"Yeah."

"Hah, it's funny you brought it up. It's pretty cool. I remember thinking you're younger, since you're so cute." Chanyeol's voiced was laced with a smile, Kyungsoo didn't even have to look to know that. But it didn't change the fact that his heart jumped a little.

Kyungsoo kept silent for several long moments, forcing his mind to avoid the comment so he could remain calm and continue with his line of thought. 
Six years... All Chanyeol has left are six years. That is so little time. Too little time for Kyungsoo to be able to make up for all the years they haven't spent together. Too little time to risk hurting Chanyeol in any way... Like... Developing feelings.

He already knew that... And yet everytime those thoughts take over his mind he becomes anxious. Worrying that he is doing something wrong while the time is ticking without mercy.

"Kyungsoo, are you scared of dying?"

Oh... He didn't expect such a question. Kyungsoo actually... Never really thought about that. As a Lightless with no gem powers, he knows his life wouldn't be ending when he reaches the age of thirty, so that death sentence was never applied to him personally.

He is afraid of the death of the people he loves more than his own, because he knows he will be there for them... He will be there and see them breathe their last breath... Just thinking about it made Kyungsoo's skin crawl.

"I'm afraid of my friends dying."

"Yeah... It sounds scary, right? But you shouldn't be scared." Chanyeol spoke softly. He sounded so convincing, but for some reason it felt like none of that confidence came from the inside.

"Do you remember what we talked about when we visited the fire gem's chamber under the library?"

Kyungsoo nodded with a hum.

"When people we love die, we do feel the sadness about it. It's large, and consuming, it makes everything harder to handle for a while. But we are Wonder Souls, and the fire inside of us is fragile." Chanyeol began explaining.

"We must make sure our inner flame remains tamed, otherwise it will burn us inside... So after being sad, we turn the sadness into gratitude."

Is it possible to just... Do that? Turn something as cold as sadness into something as warm as gratitude? Maybe the flames of Wonder Souls are stronger than Kyungsoo had already thought they were.

"We believe that it is thanks to the person's sacrifice of dying, that our gem is able to stay alive, and therefore keep the rest of us alive." Chanyeol exhaled.

"You know, I could have contributed more to the people... I'm old enough to have children of my own and bring more life into existence..."

He spoke without a smile now, and sounded a little troubled.

"But I don't... I don't want a child... I will have to leave them when they're so young. I won't be able to see them grow and become a good Wonder Soul, or a Teacher." He continued, moving a little on the grass.

Kyungsoo saw at the corner of his eye that Chanyeol was raising his hand up to the sky.

"I also... Don't want to unite with a girl. I mean, it's not like there's any pressure. People praise and pray for fertility but I just--- Don't feel that way. I don't want to become somebody's partner without actually loving them. And I... Don't love girls that way."

The two of them sunk into silence for a little while. Kyungsoo began wondering if Chanyeol had already been in a relationship with a person that he liked. And after this explanation, if Chanyeol indeed had a relationship, it must have been with another man.

Kyungsoo could relate to the sentiment. In the empire, unlike what Chanyeol explained about the island, it is considered a task to bring children into the world. It's like a chore that people who are able to, must do.

"Not much time for love." Kyungsoo replied, hoping that Chanyeol understood he was trying to be relatable and agree with Chanyeol's statement.

"Yeah. You're right."

It's something that had always bothered Kyungsoo, but as a soldier he was lucky enough to avoid even thinking about it. Even though he would not die at thirty, he wouldn't want to bring anyone new into the empire. It's more of a punishment than a life. He wouldn't want to be held responsible for a newborn's well being and disappoint them, like his own parents disappointed him.

 

 

Kyungsoo was slowly filled with a bunch of conflicting feelings.

He thought back in all the times he watched people from the empire die, and how differently death was treated there compared to this island.

When someone in the empire died, they were placed in a metal coffin and taken to a small deck at the edge of the island, located right next to Kyungsoo's previous working station of the Dearthers.

If the deceased was a normal citizen, like a farmer or a merchant, their family and friends were allowed to come and bid their final goodbyes to them, before their coffins were closed shut, and dropped off from the edge to plummet down onto the surface of the earth.

If the deceased was a soldier... Nobody outside of the military was allowed to be present in their departure. Only their personal Unit of soldiers could be there to see them off with a cold silent salute.

Kyungsoo still remembers the bitter cold emptiness he felt when his own parents were shut in the coffins and dropped from the edge. He was just a little child and had barely known them, therefore, he couldn't even cry. His brother was right beside him, ever so slightly older yet so secure and reliable.

He remembers feeling almost angry at his parents, thinking how unfair and it was of them to die and leave him with so much unknown about the world.

But then... He still remembers the funeral he saw on the island. The funeral of his own victims.

The way the coffins were filled with flowers... The way each of the deceased was so important they had their scrolls of achievements and contributions saved with a lock of their hair... The way nobody cried or sobbed or wept because everyone truly believed that their death was something to be thankful of.

Even if it sounds pretty wild, the way the fire island treats its dead shows a lot more respect and appreciation to one's life than the cold disposal of bodies in the empire.

But respectful or not... The fact that Chanyeol's death is approaching as quickly as his other friends' terrified Kyungsoo.

Suddenly the realization hit him. No matter how close he got to pcy during these years, how deep their connection will be, or how much love he'd give away... They will be forced apart. Even though Chanyeol is still so young, soon he will just die away.

Kyungsoo would have been scared for his own friends as well, he already was. But nobody in his life has ever made him Feel like Chanyeol does. Nobody has ever made him smile, made his heart bounce in his chest, or made him want to laugh out loud, even if he didn't do it.

Nobody made him feel like his own person. Like his words matter, his wishes matter, his life matters. His heart deserves to be heard and his feelings are free to roam. Nobody made him feel quite as small, yet quite as alive as Chanyeol.

Chanyeol is the only one who could play so easily on the strings of his heart, and thinking about how poetic and meaningful Chanyeol's death will be, doesn't make the sudden, unbearable sadness the took over him any less painful and scary.

He doesn't want Chanyeol to go. He doesn't want Chanyeol's coffin to burn and float away into the clouds. He doesn't want Chanyeol to lose his flame.

This unexpected urgency inside Kyungsoo made his emotions feel even more intense, the sorrow and fear washed over him, and without realizing it, his vision turned blurry, and two little streaks of salty tears started sliding their way down from the corners of his eyes.

"Kyungsoo...?"

Chanyeol asked, and moments later, despite not moving even a little, Kyungsoo felt warm and long fingers gently the side of his eye, and cheek.

He must have noticed Kyungsoo was shedding tears. But they stopped as quickly as they appeared, when Chanyeol began adjusting himself on the grass some more. Kyungsoo felt the warmth of his body getting closer, and moments later, felt his wrist being carefully wrapped by the same large fingers that touched his cheek.

"I know." Chanyeol's voice was barely above a whisper, but it filled with so much warmth, understanding, and affection, that Kyungsoo felt instantly relieved.

He exhaled slowly, letting the drum inside his chest ease down and allow his muscles to loosen back on the soft grass like before.

Kyungsoo understood just how special it is. How meaningful and important is the time they are spending right now, together, is. Every moment in the life of a Wonder Soul, a Carrier, holds so much value. More than Kyungsoo could ever provide.

"I will have nobody..." Kyungsoo mumbles out, barely loud.

He felt Chanyeol's very careful grip on his wrist tighten a little. Did he realize now? Did he understand the truth about Kyungsoo, and why the pain of having his loved ones die will never compare to any Wonder Soul's, or Carrier's?

Kyungsoo is just a useless, powerless Lightless human. Yet while being unable to give anything, he still receives the most.

When all of his friends and loved ones will plummet down in metal coffins, he will remain standing. Alive. And alone. And the empire will haunt him no matter how hard he tries to hide. There's no hiding from their raging cruelty.

But the Wonder Souls... The Teachers... They found the answer to this imbalance. There is no hostility, no degrading... A powerless Teacher is as important as a powerful Wonder Soul.

Is Kyungsoo considered a Teacher too...? Does he deserve to be one?

Regardless, Chanyeol didn't seem to respond with shock, or surprise. Maybe he somehow discovered that already.

Acceptance... Chanyeol had accepted it just like that. Without judgement, without disgust, fear, or worry. He took it in like it was just another simple fact about Kyungsoo. Similar to the way people would react when being told a person's favourite color.

"My time is limited... And that's exactly why I always try my best to make each day worth living. I want to live to the fullest." Chanyeol spoke calmly. "So that when my soul returns to the gem, it'd provide enough energy for two more lives!"

Kyungsoo hasn't moved his head and hasn't looked at Chanyeol, but he knew he was smiling that one goofy smile of his.

 

 

"Chanyeol, do you have a wish?"

Kyungsoo would do anything to fulfill whatever that might be. He wants to give Chanyeol true happiness. At first he thought that developing feelings towards Chanyeol, or allowing himself to express his own emotions would be a source of trouble for Chanyeol, who has much more important things to deal with every day.

But after hearing Chanyeol wants to be alive, and realizing that Chanyeol is the reason Kyungsoo is feeling alive, maybe the correct way to give back the same feeling is... To do the same for him.

"I don't think I do."

"I do." Kyungsoo replies immediately, he could sense Chanyeol wasn't expecting it.

"I want to change the world. I want to make it safe for everyone..." Kyungsoo exhaled. "I want you to be happy..."

These wishes aren't wrong. But they aren't completely true either. Kyungsoo has never had the opportunity and the luxury to even think of his own wishes and desires until he reached the island. 

But he's made his mind.

Kyungsoo's true wish, is for Chanyeol to be free of the gem's death sentence at the age of thirty. There's so much about the world that Chanyeol doesn't yet know... And Kyungsoo wants to make sure the world is peaceful enough before bringing Chanyeol to it. He doesn't want his heart to corrupt with the cruelty and darkness threatening to consume this bit of heavenly island.

Chanyeol laughed heartfully for a bit, then sighed with a smile and lowered his palm, trailing fingers over Kyungsoo's hand, and gently grabbing a hold of it. With a hum, he turned Kyungsoo's hand just a little bit. Just enough to allow their fingers to intertwine in a tight hold.

Kyungsoo felt the blood in his body heat up slightly.

"Actually... I have a wish now." Chanyeol said, a smile still hearable on his lips.

"What is it?"

Kyungsoo asked with subtle eagerness, knowing deep down that he would do absolutely anything Chanyeol would want him to. He will make sure that wish gets fulfilled even if it costs him his life.

But instead of answering, Chanyeol moved himself even closer to Kyungsoo's body, and his side. While still keeping a hold of Kyungsoo's hand, he pulled himself in, and let his head rest on top of Kyungsoo's chest. His free arm lazily wrapped around Kyungsoo's waist just for comfort.

Kyungsoo felt like his heart was about to jump out of his chest. He didn't move a muscle, just looked down when he felt the weight and warmth of Chanyeol's body placed on top of him.

He couldn't see Chanyeol's face on his chest, only the top of his mahogany fluffy hair covered head.

"I just... Want to be like this for a little while... If that's okay."

It tingled when Chanyeol spoke. Kyungsoo felt the vibrations of his deep voice on his chest. But his heart had settled, and his pulse had slowed, when he heard just how impossibly deep the sadness in Chanyeol truly was. 

Through the little shake in his voice, Kyungsoo had received an opening to a side of Chanyeol that he never thought he'd get the privilege to know.

Chanyeol's heart was like a storm of fear and sorrow. A dark and scary place hidden deep under the golden sands and colorful flowers shining in the sun that is Chanyeol's kindness and love expressed towards the outside.

For a moment, Kyungsoo felt an urge to just scream and sob, not for himself. For Chanyeol.

But the loud darkness had quieted down, and the skin cutting winds turned into a gentle breeze after Chanyeol exhaled deeply on top of Kyungsoo's chest.

It was so warm, and heavy, but Kyungsoo wouldn't trade this for the world.

Chanyeol's power might be the fiery flames, but when resting so calmly on top of his chest, he reminded Kyungsoo of a volcano in slumber. A deep beautiful heat that keeps the core of the surface alive.

After a long minute of silence, Kyungsoo raised his free hand and began threading his fingers through Chanyeol's hair locks. over his scalp in slow repeated movements and brushing the silky soft curls with every gentle pull.

The quiet of the day passing was soothing. Kyungsoo couldn't hear anything other than the waterfall's noise, and Chanyeol's breathing pattern over his own body. He doesn't even know how long had passed of him endlessly and affectionately Chanyeol's head.

The clouds in the sky above him have already changed several cycles.

"My wish has been granted... Thank you, Kyungsoo."

Chanyeol mumbled peacefully at some point, and once again, Kyungsoo found himself smiling. He might not have any powers from any gem, but Chanyeol sure did light a fire inside of him.

 

 

To Kyungsoo it felt like minutes, but when Chanyeol finally removed his head from Kyungsoo's chest and returned to lie beside him on his back, Kyungsoo felt the relief of hours of the weight on his body.

He doesn't mind it, though. He enjoyed every second of it. Even if he is now too embarrassed to turn to even look at Chanyeol.

They've just exchanged something quite intimate, and for someone who doesn't even hug anyone out of free will, it was a lot for Kyungsoo. So he decided to focus on something else instead.

"Do you have a family?" Kyungsoo asked, thinking about his own older brother since they've talked about children before.

"I do, I have a sist---... I mean... I had an older sister."

Chanyeol's answer started happy, and switched into more of a melancholy tone. He would expect him to continue elaborating on it and explain more about her by himself, but Chanyeol kept quiet. Which made Kyungsoo worry a little.

"What was she like?"

"She was amazing." Chanyeol definitely smiled. "My parents died shortly after I was born, but she took really good care of me. She was brave, ambitious, smart, responsible... She was my best friend, my role model."

Kyungsoo heard the grass shift under Chanyeol a little bit. But when looking at the sky, he couldn't see what Chanyeol was doing.

"She was a Teacher, and not a Wonder Soul. But it never stopped her from doing just as much as everyone else. One time she told me that even if she could, she wouldn't become a Wonder Soul, because thanks to being a Teacher, she can spend many more years by my side."

Chanyeol continued, Kyungsoo could feel the warmth and love Chanyeol feels towards his sister. She sounds incredible. A person worthy of respect and appreciation... But now after hearing about her, Kyungsoo couldn't help but wonder what happened to her.

If she wasn't a Wonder Soul, it means she was supposed to still be alive. Right? All of the other Teachers on the island look old enough to have survived many years beyond thirty.

Would it be too rude to ask? Too insensitive?

Kyungsoo listened calmly until Chanyeol finished talking about his sister. Waited a little longer to make sure he was done, and decided he should go for it.

"...What happened to her?"

Chanyeol didn't answer right away. In fact, he didn't answer for quite a while after Kyungsoo asked.

 

 

Kyungsoo was about to change the conversation to another subject in order to stop whatever possible sad thoughts Chanyeol must be thinking. Ugh. He's stupid, he shouldn't have asked something so personal in the first place. The last thing he wants is to make Chanyeol sad.

He inhaled and opened his mouth to speak again, but right as he did, Chanyeol's voice started.

"Kyungsoo... My sister's name was Park Yoora... She... On the day you arrived... Uh..."

His voice sounded conflicted, a mixture of confusion, sadness, and an attempt at sounding neutral. Almost apologetic.

But no matter how softly Chanyeol would have worded it, it wouldn't have been able to stop the way Kyungsoo's heart sunk when he realized the cause of Yoora's death.

"I'm sorry Kyungsoo, I know that it is not your fault, I know that you came to save Junmyeon. You had no idea who we were... It's natural to be scared of strangers, so---" Chanyeol hurriedly attempted to remedy the shock. But why? Why would he do that? Why would he apologize to Kyungsoo when he is the victim? 

Kyungsoo gulped hoarsely. His body now tense and stiff, flooded with fear, sadness and guilt. But mostly, with fury.

He knew... Somehow, at the back of his head, in the depths of his heart, he knew this was the case. He remembers the moment he released the Branbers from the close watch of his fleet, and saw Chanyeol carry a body he silently wept over.

He remembered the way Chanyeol's eyes teared up when he touched the forehead of that same body at the funeral. He remembered that victim's name was Yoora... Kyungsoo knew all that. He had already connected the dots. He simply denied it because he couldn't face it.

The young, innocent, and inexperienced part of him just couldn't accept being met with the instant consequences of his ordered actions. He was just a tool under command, but it was still his word that made the difference in the end. And it's too much.

"I know that you didn't want to do it. You were sent here from... Uh, the empire, right? To bring Junmyeon back and---"

Chanyeol rose up to sit in his spot on the grass, his hand still tightly gripping onto Kyungsoo's. How can he...? How is he able to hold hands with the man who ordered the death of his own sister?

He sat up in the grass as well, but his entire body was numb. He couldn't feel anything at all inside of himself, couldn't hear his own pulse or even breathe... All he felt was the painful heat of Chanyeol's hand holding his.

Like some holy being that touches a creature from the dark and cursed abyss, Kyungsoo felt himself burning.

 

 

Kyungsoo's whole mind flipped and fell into the dark hole of pressing regret. How dare he even interact with Chanyeol at all at the moment...? Who does he think he is, being given so much warmth and kindness after what he's done?

Has he lost his mind? His manners? If anything he must lay himself on the ground and apologize to Chanyeol a million times. There will never be enough he could do to pay for the harm and loss he had caused.

And the worst of all of this, is that it's Chanyeol.

The one person Kyungsoo would have done anything to keep safe. The one person who was hurt by him... Is also the person who made him feel the most alive...?

What kind of twisted monster is he to have allowed himself to spend the time on this island in that blissful ignorance and false peace. There is no peace. There is war. The empire demands blood, and the island bleeds right on his bare palms.

"No." Kyungsoo cut Chanyeol's words.

"I did want to do it." His voice was rough and stuck in his throat. "I wanted to do it because it was my task. My mission. Because I wanted to be a good soldier. I wanted to please my brother... Show my worth."

Kyungsoo couldn't even see at that point, his mind was spiraling downwards out of control. Deeper and deeper into the dark and cold emptiness that is the nothing he is as a being, as a Lightless empire soldier with no purpose, no heart, and no thoughts.

"Kyungsoo, I know that." Some movement was happening in front of him, but his eyes lowered with the blank empty stare of the military fleet captain of unit 3X0. Chanyeol's voice sounded too muffled to be understood.

The pain, rage, fear, guilt and anguish climbed up inside his body like a monster made of sharp thorns. Each time it moved, it tore another cut on the surface of Kyungsoo's heart.

 

 

What has he done...?

How could he let that happen...?

Why didn't he listen to Yixing...?

Is it too late...?

 

 

"...---orry... I am sorry..." Kyungsoo mumbled out like a desperate gasp.

His back hunched over and his head fell to the front, creating a strong shadow over his face since it is now not directly in the sun. He doesn't know how long he's been stuck in the darkness of his own mind.

Everything Chanyeol is thinking right now is a lie... Even the death of his own sister is sweetened by the lie Junmyeon and the elders in the Council of Radiance weaved in order to keep the island's residents... The Wonder Souls, safe from the true broken world that's just outside of their reach.

The truth is, that when it was Kyungsoo's time to call for the attack, he didn't regret it at all. In fact, he was proud of himself for taking proper command and proving to himself and his fleet that he's finally worth something.

He thought that by finishing his mission of death he'd return as a hero. He was so sure that his life would be so much easier once this island no longer existed.

And yet, there he sits, head lowered in shame and torturing regret, feeling that even the little bit of humanity he had experienced on this island, the worth he had finally felt he had, were all built on a lie that gave him an innocent aliby.

"I am... So sorry, Chanyeol..."

He didn't even care how he sounded, he could barely hear his own voice. It was just so quiet, so quiet but so damn loud. Impossibly loud. Louder than a shriek of rotten metal, louder than the deep rumble of the lava pit's core in the empire's islands.

Everything was so nothing, but all too much at the same time.

Until it stopped.

 

 

A touch. Something soft, large and careful started radiating warmth from the right side of his face. That same sensation, the softness of large, careful heat began climbing up from his left hand, to his wrist, to his arm...

And it was silent. Everything went quiet around him. He forgot that the waterfall was even there. Even the slightly stronger breeze on top of the hill didn't make a sound.

"...---soo. Kyungsoo, please..."

A deep raspy voice, only a little muffled, came from right in front of him. The warmth from his cheek spreaded further through his head like the ripple of water when a single drop falls onto it.

Tiny waves of warmth covered more and more surface and reached his ears as well. Clearing out whatever muffling effect had constricted his hearing ability.

"Kyungsoo, it's alright. It's okay... You're okay."

The voice was clear now, nervous, familiar, a voice he'll never get tired of hearing.

Only then Kyungsoo had realized what his bodily state was like. Sitting forward, hunched down, curled painfully, and heaving in a desperate attempt at inhaling properly. His heart was beating fast and hard. So hard he could feel his pulse at the sides of his neck and arms, but it hurt. 

This fast pace wasn't caused by excitement, happiness, or Chanyeol. It was caused by the sudden leap Kyungsoo's consciousness has taken down into the scary depths of his own aching heart.

When his vision returned, he was able to make out the details in front of his eyes, instead of seeing a strange shadowy blob, he saw Chanyeol's face. Leaning in close and watching him with wide darting red eyes. 

The source of warmth on his jaw was actually Chanyeol's hand carefully holding Kyungsoo's head and his cheek with his thumb. The source of warmth spreading from his hand was apparently Chanyeol's other hand still tangled with his own.

Kyungsoo almost felt the need to pull it away, to shove Chanyeol off, to run somewhere else and never take advantage of this man's kindness ever again.

But he was captured. Captivated by the miraculous warmth that provided light for him to climb back out of the hole he had leaped into in his mind.

"Kyungsoo, are you alright?" Chanyeol must have noticed that Kyungsoo was now in charge of his physical body once more.

"You suddenly just... Broke. It was scary. Are you feeling okay?"

 

 

He can no longer do this. He cannot handle the situation as is. He cannot add another lie to the pile. He doesn't want to hurt Chanyeol any more.

Until his vision returned and his posture was no longer painful for his body to endure, a new blur gathered at the bottom of his vision, quickly filling his eyes and making Chanyeol's face into a watery mess.

"Chanyeol---..."

"Oh, Kyungsoo, what's wrong?" He's so worried...

He is so gentle... So kind... So precious. The way Chanyeol's hand and fingers ever so carefully wiped the streams from the corners of Kyungsoo's eyes felt like he was being touched by some godly being.

"I didn't come here to save Junmyeon..." Kyungsoo wept, Chanyeol's finger wiped away another tear. "I didn't attack because I thought he was in danger..." Another tear cleaned.

Kyungsoo gasped lightly when he realized his nose was getting stuffed because of his tears... But he couldn't stop. It was too much. Too painful. Too scary.

"Chanyeol---... I was sent here to destroy the island."

Saying it out loud was harder than Kyungsoo would have imagined it would be. He felt his chest tighten painfully when the words left his mouth, another burst of untamed tears and a held back sob burst out, and he felt his shoulders trembling.

"My mission was--- To kill... You... To kill the Wonder Souls, the Teachers, the council, the children---... I had to kill everyone and then destroy the island, make it vanish out of existence---..."

The stream of tears on his cheek wasn't wiped by Chanyeol's finger this time. Kyungsoo couldn't see anything beyond the blur of his own tears, but he did notice something change.

He has to do this. He cannot coninue with this deadly lie. He cannot continue unintentionally pretending that he is some heroic figure that came to save a lost friend. He was supposed to be the death of this entire place. The doom that none of them knew was coming, because the Council of Radiance tried to protect them from it.

Even if he's going to lose Chanyeol. Everything that he's built, learned, and experienced with this person who made his heart beat out of love for the first time, he simply cannot hold it in anymore.

The source of warmth on his cheek had been removed, and even their hands held together was no longer a fact if to judge by the way Chanyeol's hand began to gently tremble.

Kyungsoo forced himself to explain everything to Chanyeol. Sobbing and sniffing, weeping and whimpering endless apologies in between. He told him about the true history of the gems, of the cracked earth, he told Chanyeol about the sin of the fire people a thousand years ago, about the punishment...

He explained to Chanyeol why he was sent there, for what purpose, and finally... He explained why those things have changed.

Despite fearing that Chanyeol would take his distance and never want to interact with Kyungsoo again, the Wonder Soul hasn't let go of Kyungsoo's hand all while he spoke.

Instead, once the sniffly wet silence after the explanation came to be, Chanyeol offered Kyungsoo a piece of cloth to use in order to clean his face and calm down.

Which Kyungsoo did as best as he could with one hand. He was so afraid of letting go, because it might be the very last time he'd ever be able to hold Chanyeol's hand in his life, after all that he had exposed.

 

 

Chanyeol didn't say anything at all. Even after Kyungsoo's panicked cries have settled back into calmness, he simply sat there and looked at him. Kyungsoo wasn't even able to read what kind of facial expression he had, or what it meant.

"I thought I would be proud. But everything had changed since I met you. I regret everything I had done with utmost sincerity." Kyungsoo decided it'd be a good time to conclude it with the only thing he could do. Apologize.

"I feel haunting remorse for taking the lives of innocent people away. Nothing I will ever say or do will be enough to repay that priceless debt."

Another sniffle managed to sneak out of him.

And as terrible as it is to admit... Kyungsoo... Actually felt better. Whatever energy this breakdown had taken out of him, all the pained and hurting tears he was able to shed for the first time in his life... He felt relieved.

A heavy stone has been removed from his baggage of burdens to carry. 

He could finally think clearly again. Like his mind has been put under a shower of heavy rain and the strong water drops cleansed it from the hardships and dirt.

He remembered now, the way Yixing fought for the sake of saving this island. The way Sehun's cold eyes lit up when he recognized Junmyeon on the island... The way Baekhyun kept making sure he was alright every morning... The way Jongin played with the Wonder Soul children.

The colors of the fruits and vegetables, the bright flowers and cold breeze, the large library filled with history, the delicious food in the dining room, the flower crown--- The way Chanyeol called him cute...

None of it would have happened if he hadn't made the choice of sparing this island and stopped the attack on it against the orders he was given.

He might have given the signal to shoot, but he had also stopped it. It was the first choice he had ever made on his own accord. Even Yixing pointed it out.

"I have nothing to offer for comfort... But Chanyeol... I want to promise this to you."

Kyungsoo felt a fire being lit inside of him. He grabbed Chanyeol's hand and held onto it with both of his own hands. Not to be distracted by the fact Chanyeol's single palm could contain both of his own, he raised his head and made straight eye contact with him.

"I will do anything I possibly can, to keep you, and this island, safe. I will pay for this with my life if I have to." He exclaimed with determination.

"I won't let anything like what I had done happen again. No matter the cost."

Chanyeol's eyes went a little wider when Kyungsoo spoke with so much passion, but he didn't lean or pull back. He actually tightened his own hold onto Kyungsoo's two hands.

"I will think of a plan to fix this. And---... I am sorry for holding the truth back from you all this time. I'm sorry for playing along and letting myself take advantage of your honest kindness. But Chanyeol---"

Kyungsoo felt his throat choke up with renewed tears again.

"You made me realize I have a heart. I want to show you I am worthy of it."

The two of them stared into each other's eyes, the atmosphere between them was intense, but somewhat... Positive?

 

 

"You already are worthy of it."

Chanyeol finally spoke, a small yet harsh smile across his lips. Like his intentions have found a direction.

"I uh... At first I was really upset. Not at you... I was just upset because I thought it was so unfair that the gem took Yoora away..." He admitted, his eyes averted sideways.

"Now I understand that it wasn't the gem. It was people... You are probably right. The world out there must be pretty bad if people think they are allowed to take other people's lives away. You just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and... Now even more than before I realize that there is a lot I still don't know."

He looked a little defeated, and Kyungsoo started getting worried. This is no easy truth to absorb.

"Thank you for telling me the truth. I feel that my eyes have opened to something that is within my ability to change." He nodded lightly.

"I understand you now. And I can see it even clearer than thought I did, that your heart is stronger than you think it is."

There is so much that Chanyeol still isn't aware of. All of the intricacies of being a resident of the empire. Of being Lightless. Of having to be responsible for things that are beyond one's own control.

And despite all that, all of the pain and misery he must have had to deal with internally this whole time, he is able to forgive and learn.

Chanyeol moved his body closer to Kyungsoo's, and very gently released both of his hands. Instead, he raised his arms and wrapped them around Kyungsoo's frame in order to pull him in against him.

Kyungsoo felt himself stick against Chanyeol's upper body without a single need to resist. If before Chanyeol's head was on top of Kyungsoo's chest, now it was the other way around. 

He could hear Chanyeol's heart beating. Could smell his scent and feel the warmth of his skin seeping out of him. The tight hug felt strange at first, Kyungsoo wasn't sure what to do with his arms, or head, or back.

"It was not your fault, Kyungsoo."

Chanyeol's deep airy voice came from above his ear, and he felt the depth of Chanyeol's voice rumble his chest and body. How come Chanyeol needs to be the one comforting him? But he would take it. Chanyeol spoke from his heart... Kyungsoo could tell... And decided to believe him.

"I want to help you. I want to save my home... I want to save my friends, I want to save you. I don't want you to have to do bad things anymore. I don't want to be upset anymore." Chanyeol was filled with the same type of determination Kyungsoo had expressed moments ago, and Kyungsoo couldn't have been happier about this outcome from breaking the silence about the dark corrupted truth threatening them.

Suddenly he remembered Sooyoung's words. Kyungsoo brought a lot of sadness with his arrival to the island... But he had also brought happiness. And growth. Maybe just this one time, he is allowed to let his heart decide what to believe.

Maybe he really is no longer Do Kyungsoo, Captain of fleet SM and unit 3X0. But rather, Do Kyungsoo, the human being.

"Kyungsoo, your arrival came with sadness... But there is just---... Something in you that makes me feel so much more than I ever did. You came and you filled all of my emptiness. You made me happy. And I want us to stay happy together. I want to create a happy future with you... For as long as we can."

Chanyeol's muscled arms tightened even more around Kyungsoo's waist and back, pulling him higher up so that Kyungsoo would have enough space resting his chin on Chanyeol's wide shoulder.

Which he gladly did, and even wrapped his own arms around his island's tour guide, who truly has a soul full of wonder.

 

 

He wants to spend the future together with Chanyeol too. Just as much, if not more. He now knows that although the fault of action will weigh on his shoulders for life, he was, indeed, just a soldier completing orders and fulfilling commands. He's not free of the fault, but he's not the gear that set this machine into action.

It was not his choice to shoot. But it was his decision to cease fire.

The only fire he needs is the fiery heat coursing through his veins from the warmth and affection this tight and secured hug with Chanyeol is giving him.

He remembered the way Jongin acted before and after speaking with Taemin. And wondered if he too, would look like his battery has been recharged after all this time of functioning on the lowest energy settings.

"Thank you." 

Kyungsoo finally exhaled, removing his mind from the equasion and allowing his fingers of both hands to trail upwards and carefully grab a gentle hold of Chanyeol's face by his jaw. He pulled himself backwards just enough to put enough space between them, so he'd see the view of Chanyeol's confused yet charming expression. Unable to move much due to the needy tight hold around his waist.

"Thank you, Chanyeol. There's so much I want to thank you for." He repeated, feeling his cheeks and ears heat up from their faces' close proximity.

But Chanyeol just grew a smile and leaned back in. He shut his eyes and allowed their foreheads to bump against one another lightly, while letting out a warm sigh of relief.

"Let's change the world."

Chanyeol claimed with a gentle depth. Kyungsoo too, just shut his eyes and relayed on the tips of his fingers to feel and around Chanyeol's face, spotting the raised corners of his smiling lips.

Kyungsoo's own smile grew just as wide.