Chapter 13

Violet

 

The changing of the route to get the island aircraft to the empire undetected worked. The fleet hasn't arrived to the moving island even on the fourteenth day from the moment Seungsoo announced it.

The people of the island didn't even seem to worry about that at all, like they all frogot about it supposed to be happening because of how everything else has been going on, how busy they were. How they are living on a mobile piece of land flying through the air.

But Kyungsoo and his crew were on higher alert the entire day just to make absolutely sure that nothing was coming their way.

This will be the very last full day the island gets to spend... Well, being just a fire island.

Within half a day more, it will no longer be what it currently is any more.

The two days and a half journey was almost all the way through. What will they be met with when they return to the empire's territory?

They will most likely be seeing the artificially created storms that surround the entire perimeter of all the islands together. The greys and browns being the major colors that adorn all of the islands that are a part of the empire... The unstable pink glowing crystal-shaped gem sticking out from the bottom of each of those islands.

There won't be any sun. Barely any light. No people anywhere on the surface, if they even get to see it at all, and no visible structures either. Just tall rocky mountains larger than the entirety of the fire island, darkened jungles, and dirt.

Thinking about the view Kyungsoo remembers of the empire from the outside, he realized how efficient it is to keep the island looking that way. At first glance, one would assume it's completely desolate of people. Empty. Like it's never been touched by a human before.

So even though all that protection is entirely unnecessary, it is well executed and believable.

Will all of those things still be there? It's been well over two months since he last saw those grim details. Or perhaps after all the conflict the information they uncovered had stirred, things will be looking different than the way Kyungsoo remembers them?

Sadly, Kyungsoo won't have anybody to confide about these questions with. Because he had to spend the night between their second and third days of flight alone.

Chanyeol was to be taking a night shift at the back of the island. They knew it was necessary, and shouldn't be avoided or skipped over. As much as they wanted to spend that possible last night ever together, neither of them wanted Chanyeol to be exempt from the routine just because of their selfish wish.

Besides, while everyone at the back of the island aircraft could continue switching shifts and doing heir duty in parts, Sehun at the front had to be present at all times. Even when sleeping during the nights he had to remain in the make-shift cockpit in case anything will suddenly go awry.

He wasn't there alone, of course. And had enough supplies if he ever wanted to eat anything and more. But it's still a heavy responsibility to tackle. The entire island is quite literally, in his hands.

At least the locals seemed to be handling the situation exceptionally well.

They continued their teaching routines with the younger members of their society as usual, only improving it with the new information and helpful steps to take according to the explanations given by the crew.

Along with the normal studying sessions, they taught the youngsters how to activate all of the contraptions they've worked hard on creating themselves from scratch. They taught them a few protective moves they could use in case a stranger is approaching them with harmful intentions, carefully preparing them for every possibility.

But most importantly, they never stopped repeatedly making sure everyone understands that they are never going to use their powers to cause harm. Even if they were to get stressed or be in danger, there are ways to use the fire and make it helpful instead of harmful.

Kyungsoo found that amazing. Even when their own lives might be at risk, the Teachers and Wonder Souls would never allow themselves to become aggressive.

He was afraid that changing the world around them would cause a shift in their behaviour, but it seems that the Teachers on the island have already realized that it might be just so, and decided to convey even more boldly within their teaching, that violence is never the answer.

It made Kyungsoo feel relieved, but also be at awe. When seeing how important the peace is for the people of the island, even in such dire times, he felt even more confidently than before that he was doing the right thing. 

These principles being inserted so deeply within the fire people's beings, their hearts and minds, are going to remain exactly the one thing that will survive no matter what. He's going to make sure of that.

 

 

Kyungsoo's ideal life after the gems reuniting, would be the empire changing its ways to become an extension of the fire people's legacy.

He wants to see the empire islands under the sun. He wants the people to explore the jungles, to build homes on the surface, to farm and let the heat of the sun color the crops and give them flavor.

He wants to turn all of the military efforts into technology advancements. He wants to let the people grow with love, and not fear. He wants everyone to learn the history of how humans were brought back together despite their differences, instead of a punishment that lasted a thousand years.

He wants to see no more difference between those who have powers and those who don't. He wants to help all of the poor souls that were sent down to the surface of the cracked earth and give them back everything they've never had because of selfish prejudice.

He wants to explore the world, both in the sky and on the surface of the earth. Maybe find even more islands that have been disconnected and were possibly occupied by new civilizations just like the fire people.

But most importantly, he wants, no... He wishes deeply and strongly, that none of his friends, that Chanyeol, wouldn't have to die at the age of thirty any more. There is just so much more to this world than what any of them have ever been exposed to... He wants to make the world, the island, and everything else be something worth living for.

Kyungsoo knows well enough that this is just a fairy tale fantasy in his mind. The ultimate best reality that could ever possibly exist. Even though it's just a wish. A hope.

There is nothing to pray for if he wants these things to actually exist and become a reality. If he wishes to see the world be a certain way, he will have to make it be that way himself. There are no real forces that control the life on earth anymore. Only people.

A thousand years ago they might have existed, but there is no earth anymore for them to take care of. Things will have to be done by people, for people. This is how reality has been, and will continue being.

And that is exactly what he plans to do. Reuniting the gems together is merely the first step to ensure the safe start for the rest of the world to change.

Even if the fire people come in peace, after a thousand years of propoganda against them, the empire's society wouldn't be able to simply... Well, change what they think towards them overnight.

At least not realistically. But who knows, maybe reuniting the gems will help those war obsessed lunatics rearrange their minds.

He spent way too long thinking way too much. By the time he finally managed to shut his eyes and fall asleep, he had to be woken up to welcome the new day.

The day of the expected arrival at the empire islands.

 

 

When he left the bedding house after his morning hygienic routine in the showers, he saw Chanyeol and the group of other Wonder Souls approach. All looking exhausted to the point of having to drag their feet against the sand in order to walk forward.

His eyes immediately detected the flower crown still placed on top of Chanyeol's head. It was amusing, seeing someone looking this tired, yet wearing a flower crown on top of their messy haired head. Let alone that it looked like the flowers already started wilting.

Kyungsoo was more than eager to greet his beloved, but from the dark circles under his eyes and his blank expression of fatigue, he knew it would be better to keep that need at bay and be patient instead.

Once Chanyeol gets his very well deserved sleep, the two could see each other again in better circumstances.

Kyungsoo decided to spent his energy on something useful for now. He toured to the back of the island and into the open cave, or, the ship's engine. Standing by the Talkie was one of the younger looking Teachers who seemed to be calmly watching over the line of Wonder Souls.

In that line, Kyungsoo noticed and was more surprised to see, a teen Wonder Soul standing and providing a large flame behind them just like the rest of the adult Wonder Souls.

When he turned to the Teacher to ask about it, he didn't even need to open his mouth for them to understand what he wanted to address. The teacher smiled warmly.

"They insisted they wanted to help, and refused to head into class. How could we say no?"

It was pretty impressive actually. This teen by no means was struggling with the task at all. In fact, they seemed to be filled with even more energy than the rest of the adult Wonder Souls who're standing in the line.

The others were even chatting with one another from time to time, but the teen, probably around fifteen in age, was focused on the task without being distracted at all.

On Kyungsoo's way out of the cave and towards the cockpit of the island ship, he thought about all of the children of the island once more. Of course, some of them are too young to be able to comprehend what is going around them that well... But their sense of duty and responsibility towards their fellow fire people was nonetheless admirable.

Even during the first time Kyungsoo has been present in a classroom, when he made the small cloth bauble that was later used in the Fire Dragon Passing ceremony, the children were more than kind. Kind to the Teachers, kind of him, and kind to one another. 

There was no competition, or a need for them to 'prove' themselves worthy of any attention. All of them grew up being so loved, and expressing so much love, that they didn't need to fear failing at anything. 

Not fearing a failure had turned them into a group of clever, brave, and independent people who are able to judge a situation with a clear mind and make a choice that will benefit the greater good. Even at the price of their own momentary comfort.

The teen who chose to be there... They did it because they chose to. Because they must have seen the struggle of the adult Wonder Souls getting exhausted the previous two days, and decided they could help out for the better of everyone's sake.

Kyungsoo wondered just how much more amazing he will find this island and its people to be even after he thought he saw everything.

 

 

When he entered the cockpit, Sehun was still sleeping at the back of the tent, huddled on a hay mattress and a thin blanket that Sehun himself must have folded in a strange shape in his sleep.

Nobody sat at the actual seat, but Yixing and Baekhyun were sitting right beside it and chatting quietly about things Kyungsoo couldn't hear yet. It was pretty peaceful in here, considering today is supposed to be the day of the encounter.

"Oh, Kyungsoo, good morning." Yixing called out with a smile at the moment he spotted Kyungsoo shutting the cloth piece that is the 'door' to this tent.

"Good morning." He replied, carefully passing by napping Sehun and sitting beside Baekhyun.

"We were just talking about how impressed we were with Chanyeol, actually."

Yixing said, and Baekhyun nodded in approval.

"Junmyeon already told you before... But, he was the first one to welcome him into this place. The island, the people... I heard he even cried with Junmyeon when he couldn't hold back time because he was missing this kid so much."

Baekhyun began talking, he ran a hand over his hair, fixing it to the part in the middle before gesturing at Sehun with a small smile.

"And look how far he's come. He helped all of us so much through this whole experience... And we wish there was something we could give back to him... But I'm pretty sure you're doing a good job at that." Baekhyun's gentle smile turned into a small smirk when he gave Kyungsoo a glance. Clearly hinting at knowing way too much.

Kyungsoo felt his muscles freeze for a split moment before a pout formed on his lips and he nudged Baekhyun's arm aside, receiving some laughter in return. Really? Now is the time they decide to open this subject up?

"Even though I am afraid, I am very happy. When we first arrived Junmyeon never stopped telling me about the amazing things this island has to offer." Yixing spoke, looking down at the leather bag he carried with him this whole time.

It looks worn out, nearly falling apart, filled with so much paper and bottles of ink that Kyungsoo is surprised it hasn't given in yet.

"I hope that the empire will understand what needs to be changed after today. I hope we will be able to still stand here and change the world."

Both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo looked at Yixing when he spoke. They didn't really know what to respond with. It was obvious they simply agree. There's nothing either of them want more than that.

"Xingie, when we're free, after this is all over, will you make me a flower crown?" Baekhyun broke the silence with a complete change of the subject into something light. Even though Kyungsoo was sure he was still being teased, considering everyone could see Chanyeol wasn't taking his own flower crown off even after days.

Yixing's expression widened in surprise, but he quickly turned it into a wide grin. He looks so soft when he smiles like this. 

"Of course. They are beautiful, and meaningful." He said and reached his hand out, holding his palm upwards in Baekhyun's direction.

Baekhyun chuckled with satisfaction and cheerfully placed his own hand onto Yixing's palm to hold their hands together tightly.

"I'll make you one too."

 

 

After about an hour of chatting, Sehun woke up, and was immediately greeted by Baekhyun shoving a basket full of nutritious fruits for him to consume. He sleepily thanked him, and while sitting lazily in the bed, began chewing on the late breakfast and half participating in the conversation.

Several more hours have passed, and Sehun was already sitting in front of the flying board filled with buttons, and began comparing different air currents with the special diagram of a map that Yixing has hung when the journey began two days ago.

"You can't even compare how delicious everything is here to the nasty empire food. Look, even the mushrooms here are better! And mushrooms are supposed to be thriving in caves!"

Baekhyun spoke passionately about the differences between the food on this island compared to the different bland colorless crops that grow in the darkness of the empire's underground fields.

"I especially like the strawberries here." Yixing responded with a smile. 

"I liked the oranges a lot. They were the first thing I tried." Kyungsoo added with a nod.

"See! I told you! We don't even have anything that tastes like them in the empire. Like, sure, we have sugar, but it's still not the same flavour." Baekhyun gestured confidently with his arms. this conversation must be fascinating for Sehun to listen to.

Suddenly, the cloth door of the tent slid open, with both Minseok and Junmyeon huffing.

"Guys. W-We..."

Junmyeon mumbled, his eyes darting around in a strange mixture of excitement and deep concern. Minseok's nervous expression was just as surprising.

All eyes turned to the front of the island ship immediately. The fields and the flowers were moving gently with the constant wind blowing because of the movement.

But out in the distance, very far away, was a darker dot in the sky.

They all recognized it instantly.

Before anyone could point it out or exclaim what it was, Sehun grabbed onto his cup-like device of the Talkie.

"We've got a view of the target." He stated surprisingly coolly.

"Oh , really?" Jongdae's voice responded back. When did he even get there? Back to the engine cave? When Kyungsoo visited the back before, it was a Teacher standing in charge of the Talkie communication.

"I'll get Jongin to inform everyone. I guess this is really happening."

Jongdae spoke again, his voice now more serious than the surprise he expressed before. Sehun held the Talkie device to his mouth again.

"Don't forget what I told you." Sehun sounded weirdly mysterious when he said that, despite everyone in the tent knowing exactly what he was talking about.

In order to make sure no Wonder Soul will be falling off the ship in case they'll be met with turmoils or sharp turns that'll disrupt their balance, Jongdae had prepared a special hooking system attached to the cave's hard walls. Each of the Wonder Souls will be attached to a hook by a rope, preventing them from possibly falling off the edge.

"Yeah. We have all of the hooks here, don't worry, Jongin will gather the extra units." Jongdae confirmed, and the communication in the Talkie went quiet again.

It's time. This is happening. They're already at the point of no turning back. But now they have to act on it.

Kyungsoo turned back to the rest of the crew present in the tent. He saw Baekhyun planting a warm kiss on Yixin'g lips in a rush before waving at everyone and leaving the tent. Junmyeon stepped inside and leaned beside Sehun, holding onto his hand and making eye contact.

"You already know." He said with a small smile and shiny eyes.

"I do. And I do too." Sehun responded. He turned in his seat to face Junmyeon, and while his cheek, leaned in to kiss him warmly and affectionately.

When the kiss ended and Junmyeon stood back up, he wiped his eyes with one hand, but the other remained in Sehun's both hands. Without saying anything more, Sehun pecked the back of Junmyeon's palm, and let him slide away in order to leave the tent.

"I will see you later." Junmyeon said right before the door of the tent shut behind himself and Minseok.

This must be especially hard for Sehun... Last time he had to say goodbye to Junmyeon who went on a mission, Junmyeon never returned. And this time too... There's no guarantee that Sehun will ever find him alive again.

"I should also..." Kyungsoo returned to himself suddenly, realizing that this is no time to stand and wonder. He has a task he needs to fulfill.

Yixing remained in the tent with Sehun, and after Kyungsoo exit, he could hear the two begin discussing important information about the empire's island that they are going to aim for.

Out of the eight islands that are currently considered a part of the empire, their plan was to unite the fire gem with the biggest of them all. The one from which all of the members of the crew who are leading this mission are from. The one that just like the calculations, is supposed to be located the closest to their current airway path.

It might seem reckless to aim for the largest island in the bunch, not only because it has the biggest military base factions, but also the most aircrafts at its disposal, ready to fly off and attack anything that might be approaching it.

But this would be their best bet, because the gem at the bottom of this island is also the largest, and when they want to make this collision happen as quickly as possible, their highest chances of success would come from hitting the biggest target surface.

It was almost ironic, how the crew are bringing the fire island directly to their own original home island.

However, it's no laughing matter when there's such a high risk for things to go wrong and for people to be put in danger.

 

 

Everyone got into their positions. A few people had a specific job they knew they had to do, but most, like Kyungsoo, didn't have an exact spot to be stationed in. So he decided he will put himself at the edge of the village in the direction of the fields. Fairly close to where the cockpit's tent was located.

The dark stormy clouds kept growing more and more, the closer the island ship got to the empire's territory. Kyungsoo's been on a few flights that got to exit the empire territory before for the sake of practice, so it wasn't anything new. And yet it looked increasingly intimidating the closer they moved.

"Kyungsoo!"

He heard, and turned his head, spotting Chanyeol rushing towards him after he seems to have just left Sehun's tent. The nearly fully wilted flower crown that's already in the stages of falling apart still adorned his head.

Kyungsoo didn't know if luckily or not, but Chanyeol apparently wasn't taken to be a part of the crew that'll be firing the engine at the back of the ship from within the cave. Which means that he will be further exposed to possible danger, but at least they will be able to face this scary experience together.

The two of them together could do much more for the sake of protecting the village than Kyungsoo could do alone. In case it'll be necessary, there will be at least a few things they could do.

Without saying a word the two of them wrapped around each other in a tight embrace, and Kyungsoo gently planted a warm kiss onto Chanyeol's cheek before they parted, keeping the physical contact to a minimum by gripping tightly onto each other's hands instead.

The air had a lot of tension in it. Chanyeol looked as nervous and concerned as Kyungsoo felt.

"Sehun looked ready. I hope it will go well." Chanyeol stated in a low voice.

"It should." Kyungsoo replied, glancing over at Chanyeol, whose eyes were wide, brows furrowed, and mind occupied by just how large the stormy clouds are getting as the distance between the islands closes.

The whole point of the plan is that there won't even be any conflict between any people, because once the fire gem simply nudges against the large unstable pink gem of the empire island, that can be seen peeking from under the clouds a little bit, it'll all be over.

"Have you ever seen a storm before?"

Kyungsoo asked, trying to break the very intense silence that grew between Chanyeol and him now that they are facing the storm almost directly. While still holding tightly onto Chanyeol's hand, he pulled them both backwards to stand against the wall of the structure behind them.

"I've only seen the clouds Junmyeon can make... But never something this big." Chanyeol replied, turning his head upwards to grasp the scale of dark grey in front of their tiny island.

Kyungsoo was preparing himself for impact with the different turbulance that will come with the change of temeperature and air due to the storm.

But suddenly, instead of the island hitting the front of the storm's chell, he saw the clouds in front of them glow in deep blue. A loud shout echoed lightly through the island, and Kyungsoo recognized it to be Junmyeon's.

The clouds glowing in blue started moving aside, squeezing into the rest of the clouds around them to create a free opening for the island to pass through untouched. Junmyeon is incredible. He's clearing the way out to make sure things continue smoothly. Just how powerful is he? Being able to fight a system that's powered by hundreds of Water Carriers all on his own.

Kyungsoo watched the nose of the island ship get engulfed by the clouds. The opening was just large enough to fit the exact size of the island passing through rather than a full open hole, but it still must have required an insane amount of powers for Junmyeon to do.

The wall of dark clouds approached Chanyeol and him quickly, brushing over the flower field, the crop fields, and the sand. Kyungsoo winced, holding tightly onto Chanyeol when the cold electricity charged air passed right over them.

 

 

When he opened his eyes again, he was faced with the bottom of the largest empire island. The under side of the island he had considered his home for his entire life until recently.

Crossing that wall of clouds was like entering a bubble. The outside of the bubble was made out of the clouds and storms, but the inside was fairly clear of clouds. The air was cold and very damp, strong chilly winds began hitting against the sandy surface of the fire island, and Kyungsoo's own body. It was also considerably darker.

It was... Wild. Seeing the island again, under these circumstances. Chanyeol beside him was in a state of nervous shock, but Kyungsoo began already bracing himself for what's to come. The gigantic gem at the bottom of the empire island...

Ever since he knew what the gem even was, it always looked like this. Glowing in a strange unpleasant pink color, pulsing irregularly, and having weird sparks of different energies suddenly burst out of it from time to time.

Even in the mere few moments he got to see of it again, he spotted a small pink lightning appear from it. And then a round transparent pink bubble, then it popped and instead grew a shard of ice, that exploded into many little drops of water.

For a thousand years the gem has been in the constant state of unbalance. And now, if they are correct, it will finally change.

To unknowing eyes, this must look absolutely absurd. A gigantic island like this is surrounded by an even larger cocoon of grey storms like a blanket wrapped tight. And yet, after they crossed that thick wall of a barrier, there was nothing happening inside. Like an eggshell.

After a minute or so of getting the chance to take this familiar yet new-feeling sight in, Kyungsoo felt the ground under his feet shake and tremble. He knew what was going to happen next. The island must have fully crossed the storm barrier. Now if they manage to gather enough speed, they might even make it to the target without being noticed.

The wind pushing against Kyungsoo and Chanyeol got stronger as the speed of the entire island aircraft increased quite a fair amount. Kyungsoo could only imagine how much bigger is the flame the Wonder Souls in the open cave at the back of the island are creating now.

However, despite the island moving at a speed similar to that of an actual metalic empire aircraft, as they get closer and closer to the stone rocks and the downwards sticking large pink crystal of a gem, they hear a loud horn sound echo in the air. They were spotted anyway.

 

 

At this point, all they are able to do, is trust in Sehun. As long as he'd be able to turn the ship at the right moment, they'll succeed.

The pressure is definitely present in the air now, though. The island keeps speeding up more. Even though Kyungsoo is standing at the front of the island, he can tell the fire at the back is getting really strong. The light of the fire bounces and reflects within the bubble of clouds surrounding the empire island.

They get closer and closer to the pink unstable gem. His grip on Chanyeol's hand gets tighter than ever.

Closer... A little more.... The strong air force pushing against Kyungsoo's face doesn't stop him from looking with utmost attention forward.

He started seeing the details of the rocks, stones and dirt that make the bottom of the empire island. He could even spot the different angles in which the crystal of the gem is shaped.

Sehun aims, a little bit of a green glow appears on surface of the entire fire island. The sand, the crops, the flowers, the structures, even Kyungsoo and Chanyeol themselves. That means Sehun is definitely using his own Air Carrier powers to make sure this goes well.

They get faster, closer, Kyungsoo could feel the heat of the empire's gem energy slowly take over the cold air surrounding it.

At the last moment before the nose of the fire island ship hits the bottom of the empire island, Sehun changes the angle of the ventral fins installed at the tail, and the fire force coming from the Wonder Souls changes direction, turning the island sideways both in direction, and angle.

Kyungsoo grabbed onto the sandstone structure behind him for balance, feeling the source of gravity had shifted since the island is now tilted to the side.

Just a second more, and the red fire gem will reunite with the empire's gem. Kyungsoo didn't know if he was fully prepared for what will come out of this. But he shut his eyes, and he's holding tightly onto Chanyeol. He won't be letting go until it's done.

However, right before the impact, he felt the island jerk terribly, and a wave of extremely cold wind brushed over him.

Did they... Hit it?

He squinted his eyes open to the front, but saw a giant icicle sticking from the bottom of the empire island, piercing straight through the sand dune several meters ahead of his and Chanyeol's location.

Before he could understand why it's there or how it got there, the fire island crashed straight into the bottom of the empire island and shook everything.

Kyungsoo saw the nose of the ship crumble down. The impact had caused the whole flower field area at the front of the island to simply fall apart and crash downwards towards the surface of the earth.

But... Nothing changed. There was no explostion, no light, no indication that the gems even united at all.

Kyungsoo quickly understood that the gigantic icicle shot from the empire island down, managed to hit them strong enough to tip the careful balance they've managed to create, and caused the island to hit against the stone rocky bottom of the empire instead of the gem itself.

Oh no.

He started hearing shouting coming from somewhere on the island, along with a strange buzz. When he turned behind the structure he was grabbing against to look, he saw splashes of energy being shot upwards into the air.

Blue energy, cyan, and yellow.

Looking up, Kyungsoo realized that the lights were in fact his own friends trying to shoot down or at least keep away, a whole swarm of many small individual empire solo ships that were making their way towards landing on the island.

While still in a crazy tilted angle, still with the fire from the back pushing the fire island more and more towards the empiric gem, he realized something had to be done. Now.

The gems haven't met. But that doesn't mean they failed, right? He just needs to find the reason, and fix it.

He felt his mind almost leaving his body in a way. He was under so much stress and fear that in order for him to function, he had to remove himself from his physical being.

People were starting to fight. Guns were being shot, and powers were being used. He can't just stand there and hide. They haven't even reached their goal yet. The gems haven't been reunited.

 

 

Chanyeol beside him was holding tight to his hand, looking scared and pale from fear. 

The only thing he wanted to protect is slowly falling apart, breaking from the hard friction with the stone of the empire island's under part. The only people he wanted to protect are now in the beginning of a confrontational battle against literal guns carried by soldiers who can use their powers against them.

He can't just let it happen. He will never forgive himself. And there are already enough things he will never forgive himself for.

Not this time. He wouldn't let fear win. He wouldn't let any force take what he loves away from him. Not again. Not any more.

He has to do something. Anything.

The goal of their operation was the make sure the gems get to touch and reunite. And yet they didn't. So there has to be something he could do to make sure this goal is still achieved.

Kyungsoo turned over to face Chanyeol, who was sitting on the sand and holding his hands onto his own ears with fear and shock.

"Chanyeol. Chanyeol!"

He kneeled down in front of his scared Wonder Soul and freed his hand from the tight shaky hold. Instead, he carefully cupped Chanyeol's face and leaned in close.

"Chanyeol... Look at me." He spoke gently, warmly, carefully. And it worked, because Chanyeol's darting eyes finally focused into his.

"I know this is scary. I know it's hard." He began, noticing the way Chanyeol's hands were slowly sliding off from his ears.

"But I made a promise to someone I love dearly. And I plan on keeping that promise."

Kyungsoo said with a small smile, gun shots and flashes of different colored energies being exchanged behind the structure they're sitting under.

"Remember what we came here for? For peace, we have to connect the missing piece... And we're so close. We're so, so close Chanyeol."

Chanyeol's level of panic was starting to decrease as his expression became more and more serious rather than fearful. This is bigger than them... This is bigger than the war, bigger than the powers and the earth.

"I want our mission to succeed. I want our hard work to pay off. I want to keep my promise... But I need your help." His soft voice turned into more of an encouraging sincerity now. He wished he had more time. He would have loved to simply comfort Chanyeol softly back into wellness. But they cannot afford even a second to spare.

"I wouldn't be able to do this without you. So will you help me?"

The look in Chanyeol's eyes had changed entirely by now. His eyes regained their focus, his brows furrowed back down, and Kyungsoo could feel his jaw clenching under the gentle hold he has of his face.

A moment of silence passed, and through the veins in his body he knew the adrenaline was starting to pulse. It's now or never.

"Yes. I'm with you, Kyungsoo."

Chanyeol finally spoke, his voice didn't quite crack, but sounded rough and hoarse.

Kyungsoo smiled confidently and released Chanyeol's face, offering his hand to help him back up to his feet instead.

"Alright. Let's change the world." He turned to walk from behind the building. He'll have to make his way down to the gem's location somehow. There must be something blocking the two gems from touching one another, and this is where he could help even without wielding any powers of his own.

But right before he took a step away, Chanyeol grabbed onto his arm and pulled him back. Kyungsoo's whole body flew onto Chanyeol's from the roughness of the pull, but he was immediately wrapped around by Chanyeol's arms, and felt his mouth pressing on the top of his head.

"For tomorrow."

Chanyeol mumbled right against Kyungsoo's head, and Kyungsoo held around Chanyeol's body in just as tight of a hug as well.

They stood like this for a moment, before mutually pulling apart and nodding at each other.

Whatever it takes, they will do it. They have to.