Chapter 1

Violet

 

"PLEASE!!" 
The woman begged desperately, eyes swollen and red from the uncontrollable sobs of a mourning mother.

To Kyungsoo, it looked like even the soldier carrying the wailing mother's infant child got goosebumps running down their spine. There really is no way around it. This is their task, and they will have to complete it, or suffer the consequences themselves.

Nobody in this situation seems to be enjoying it. Nobody except maybe the weird border guard stastioned at the landing booth. Kyungsoo was almost angry at his stupid creepy smile.

 

 

"Give me back my child... I'm begging you---..." She sounded defeated this time. Her whole body slumped down as she fell to her knees, arms shaking up in the direction of the soldier who's carrying her child away from her, and towards the entrance to the transport ship going down to the earth's surface.

A slightly younger woman dressed in a semi-military attire stepped out of the metalic scrap built winged vehicle. Her face heavy with seriousness and concern as she was given the infant who was quietly crying, to hold.

She stood and stared at the bawling mother, an internal struggle visibly causing her muscles to tense. Kyungsoo could relate. A part of him wanted to drop everything he was ever taught, forget it all, ignore the rules, and provide this poor mother with her child for good.

But it was impossible, everybody knew. The mother knew, the woman carrying the infant into the aircraft knew, the soldier standing by the gates to the platform knew, the creepy guard knew, and Kyungsoo knew.

Lightless children are not allowed in the empire.

Ugh, even just thinking about that term sends Kyungsoo's mind in a loop. Lightless... The poor children born without having a connection to any of the gem's powers, without the unique magical abilities, without any sense of belonging.

'Carriers become the strength, Lightless folk be thrown to earth.'

He'd never be able to get rid of this phrase. This slogan coursing through society as a whole. It's the reason why this mother is losing her child, it's the reason he had reached where he stands today.

It haunted the ancestors who came before him, and will continue haunting the generations coming into life after him.

This is their world. These are the rules that keep them the way they are. How dare he even think about having a nation that runs differently. Let alone believe in that crap. Only the crazy coocoo individuals who work around history risk preaching about such absurd ideas.

Kyungsoo's mind leaped out of his thought process and back to reality when the mother's sobs turned into miserable lengthy tearful groans of someone who's been beaten by a system too big for them to tackle.

The younger woman, dressed in the military-esque uniform, carried the child in her arms with a troubled face. Refusing to turn and look back at the mourning mother while stepping into the vehicle. It won't take long until another parent will be brought to this one way down deck to have their offspring taken away. The military units assigned for that job are painfully spectacular at their job.

"Ready for take off."

Kyungsoo heard coming from the now opened window of the metalic dirty looking front of the ship. The ships leading the Lightless down to earth always look at their worst condition at all times. Given the shortened nickname 'Dearthers', as for many there's a shared belief that the Lightless being sent to the surface of the earth are sentenced to an inevitable death.

He's never been on one of the Dearthers, clearly, but he's heard the tales of the pilots about the travel down from the nation's islands to the land's unforgiving conditions. Dirt storms, thick shards-filled hurricanes and turmoils that shake the whole ship while descending even through the safe air paths.

There were never news of any of those ships crashing down on earth, only going through a near-disaster experiences on a daily basis. Stories like that about the difficulty of the earth's reachability only add up to the fear and detestment the nation's Carriers feel towards that land. Calling it cursed, damaged, even hell. How are lightless people, who are already weaker than their Carrier counterparts, supposed to survive through such conditions?

Actually, that is exactly the whole point. To try and ensure that they would not survive.

The beaten metalic fish-like shaped ship, with all of its rusted bits and cranky screws and dented boards, started making the sound of a loud shaky electrical buzz. A few sparks shot out from the engine's compartment at the back bottom of the ship.

"Clear!" One of the flight operators shouted from the platform. The sound of the ship starting to clank and hover above the landing space, along with the mother's quieter cries, were not new to Kyungsoo. 

The window that had been left open before was now closed and locked with a loud bang, and moments later, the Dearther flew away, straight, and then downwards. Vanishing fairly quickly into the thick and humid grey clouds surrounding the entire island from all directions.

 

 

And that was the mother's final goodbye to her child. So young it couldn't even understand that'd be the last time being held in their mother's arms. But so is life for those living on the empire's islands. It's harsh, cold, cruel and unforgiving, but it's all in systematic order, making it impossible to question, doubt, or protest against. Order rules the lands. These flying, humid and rainy islands.

Some of the nation's islands have it slightly better, with some more flat lands and even hints of sun once in a while. But for Kyungsoo home island, the biggest main empire land, the situation wasn't bright.

Most of the nation's islands are rocky, riddled with giants mountains and cliffs reaching up into the clouds above, and down into the clouds below. Alongside the terrible rocky surfaces, there are heavy layered, dangerous jungle forests stretching on every patch of greenery available.

The cloudy grey weather is almost tropical, except the temperatures outside never go above having to wear a leather coat to not feel too cold, especially at night. The humidity is so high with the constant rain and turmoils of dark clouds appearing thanks to the unique mixture of jungles, mountains, and a technical weather system. Sunlight only comes peeking in the creaks of the appearing and shifting grey intimidating masses around in the sky.

In order to successfully live a life in such unforgiving conditions, the empire's people have built their civilazations buried deep inside the bellies of the mountains. While the need for an actual living space is always increasing with the rise of population, priority from the very beginning was given to the military.

The empire's pride. The jewel of the crown.

The people themselves reside within the deeper, less properly accessible depths of the mountains. But the military bases of activity are located closer to the outer surface to provide easier access for the empire's one and only strength. The air force. 

Which makes sense, considering they do all live on a gathering of islands floating above the surface of the cracked earth.

From the very beginning of the empire's history, the talented Carriers through the generations, have created and upgraded thousands upon thousands of different aircrafts. Used for transportation purposes of people, and goods, between the islands to keep communication and peace through the entirety of the islands under its control. 

Used for protection militant purposes of keeping the empire safe and equipped in case of an incoming attack of any kind.

 

 

Every bit of him would have wanted to do literally anything other than having to tear parents and their children apart. 

He knows that if it wasn't for his brother Seungsoo he would have suffered the exact same fate. Taken away, thrown down to earth.

Sometimes Kyungsoo forgets that he too, is a Lightless. A hidden one at that. A Lightless whose older brother managed to get into a high enough position in the military to not be doubted.

He's incredibly lucky to be the younger brother of the empire's Commander in Chief.

It really is twisted that someone like him who had managed to avoid banishment, received the exact job of becomming the one banishing others. Maybe his brother was trying to teach him a lesson. Or maybe life is cruel, and he will have to feel the immense guilt of his actions his entire long life.

Well, the latter will be true regardless.

 

 

The sound of the chirping crickets slithered into his consciousness, made him realize that the little bit of sun they never receive had already set. Kyungsoo turned around to face away from the edge of the Dearther's departure platform. An old stone caved entrance rises from the ground, a man made bunker entrance leading down to the depths of the island.

Behind it, trees as tall as large hills block his view of the land. Densely structured in a tangled mess of branches and dark green leaves. As the grieving mother was escorted down into the tunnel, Kyungsoo could hear the rustling of life in the wind.

The islands of the empire are beautiful, but it's a beauty too dangerous for even Carriers to push through. The thick forests are luring, but incredibly ominous. 

Heavy footsteps began echoing from the tunnel instead. Grabbing his attention away from his natural curiousity of the world around him.

"Private ID 61012, attention."

Deep voice coming from the mouth of the soldier who had just arrived to the platform said.

"Do Kyungsoo, present."

He replied immediately, straightening his posture and sticking his hills together. Left hand behind his back while the right held onto the firestock of his rifle to point it upwards from his hip.

"Follow me. The commander calls for you."

The man utters with no emotion, signaling for Kyungsoo to join him. Which Kyungsoo does, relaxing his posture enough so he could begin marching with the soldier while not looking too stiff and unnatural.

His fellow soldiers at the Dearther's departure deck gave him a curious look before he descended down the bunker's stairs and into the intricate rock and metal tunnel-like maze of the military base underground.

He's passed through these tunnels every single morning for years now. Tall straight grey walls with single square lightbulbs every exactly four meters, create a very repeterive pattern for the ones having to make this journey without any sign of their whereabouts. 

Only their heavy leather boots steps on the metalic floor of the tunnel echoed around them, along with the light clanking and clicking sounds of their equipment and weapons shifting and nudging against their bodies and uniforms. It's a pretty long walk to reach the nearly deserted location at which Kyungsoo was assigned. A long ascend to the surface each morning, and a long descend to the depths each evening. The usual routine.

Several minutes later, the sounds of heavy metalic gears and wheels, strong leather stomps on the ground in unison, and chatter, finally spread in the tunnel. And upon opening the large door at the end, the two have reached one of the many flight units' storage and repair garages.

Nobody there paid mind to them. Soldiers of different ranks, wearing different types of adorned or less adorned uniforms were marching around. Carrying equipment in bulks, taught something by a superior, wheeling carts of rations, fixing up some mechanical gadgets. All of them young and serious looking. It's never boring to be a Carrier. It was an underground giant dome shaped human carved cave. With the same square little lightbulbs installed all over.

The soldier leading Kyungsoo gave this place as much attention as it gave him. None. And in quick paced steps, they walked across the whole space and reached yet another entrance to a maze of grey metalic tunnels.

 

 

Eventually, after passing many turns, doors, salutes to other high ranking young Carrier solders, and the frustrating repeating pattern of their steps echoing through their march, Kyungsoo was instructed to enter a room he has seen a few times before. A room that normal soldiers, or even soldiers in his own rank, are not even allowed near.

As he opened the door alone, having been left on his own after the other guy left, he saw that the room was empty except for one. His brother.

Just like every other location in the military base, this room too, is constructed with grey walls, metalic floor, and the square lightbulbs at a measured distance. Except at the center of this room stood a large stretched table surrounded by nearly twenty chairs. On top of the table rested a special grain built map from one corner to another. Probably thirty Kyungsoos could lie on this map together for measure.

Kyungsoo knows this room well enough, and yet he will never not be impressed by this map. It's a technology that despite being around for several years, has never gone stale or lost its importance and value.

The map's surface is made out of light brown leather patches stretched seamlessly through the entirety of the map's size. And on top of the leather, there are special metalic grains that in ticks of five seconds at a time, shift their position ever so slightly. Creating a real time transformative three dimentional model of the skies around the cracked earth.

This room, this map, are reserved for the highest of ranking soldiers within the empire's force. Only those who are in control of the system above the soldiers who take tasks into action are ever allowed to see this.

And yet, here he is, standing right there and saluting to his Commander in Chief brother Seungsoo. Authority means nothing if you're family, apparently.

"Private ID 61012, reporting in."

He states respectfully, while the military's highest commander gives him a nod of dismissal, allowing him to drop his formalities at that.

"Sit down." His brother instructs, and Kyungsoo follows instantly. Finding his seat at the nearest chair.

"The information I'm about to divulge to you must remain confidential."

Seungsoo began, standing by the table and staring down at the slowly shifting map with his familiar serious expression. Kyungsoo is fairly used to receiving these sorts of talks from his brother. He had gone on a few so called 'discreet' missions for the military before. This is probably another one of those briefs.

"Several weeks ago, my right hand man, ID 940522 Kim Junmyeon has gone missing." His brother's demeanor felt a little heavy. Kyungsoo thought he even saw a hint of emotions on his brother's expression. Does he know about Junmyeon being such a close friend to Kyungsoo as well? Does he feel remorse not only for his own sake but Kyungsoo's too?

"As you've probably heard all around the empire's news, this year is the thousandth and final year of the fire gem's exile punishment."

Oh, that's right. Kyungsoo actually did hear about it. He doesn't really stay updated with the news very often, however it was hard to avoid the commotion of the people in town when word came about. There were mixed reactions about the subject.

From what Kyungsoo understood about it, mostly through the conversations of his fellow soldiers in the dorms, or passing by in the base, the news caused a split in society. 

The majority of people believe that by finishing the last stage of the sentence of this historical godly punishment to the terrible Branbers, a name given to the unknown society of the fire gem island's people, there will no longer be a need for the empire to remain as a militant nation and stay hidden within underground cities. Since once the Branbers are gone, there won't be any more danger to society as a whole.

The rest of the people believe that a thousand years of exile were more than enough of a punishment. And that after so many generations have turned and switched and passed, there is no way a single floating island could pose any threat on the empire to begin with. They think the times have changed and that the Branbers should be spared from the ancient sentence calling for their erasure.

This conversation has been going on under the covers all through the years leading to the thousandth. And as his brother explains, the empire's authorities have come to a final decision before the matter was brought to the public's attention.

The decision which gave the Commander in Chief at the thousandth year, free access to all necessary resources from all of the nation's islands.

Seungsoo admits that when he accepted the job, he hadn't even realized the responsibility of carrying such a heavy duty would fall on his reign. However, the only thing he can do is fulfill what he was purposed to do, commit to the empire's cause for the sake of society's safety, and proceed with the preparations for the operation.

 

 

Which led to him sending his very own right hand man out in the search of the fire gem island. A strong and wise soldier, who is also a good friend.

However, after traveling to the expected location of the island with his crew, it seems that Junmyeon's traces have vanished.

Kyungsoo could tell this subject was quite a personal interest of his brother's, with his friend being involved, everything rises at the stakes. Seungsoo's knuckles nearly turned white from the strengh he had been clenching his fist while sharing the facts about his fellow soldier.

"And here you come into play."

Kyungsoo gulped lightly, staring at his brother's unreadable expression. Although Kyungsoo and Seungsoo have been close from the very beginning, and had a very natural and genuine connection between one another, right now Kyungsoo couldn't understand what his brother was feeling.

It looked like his soldier part, the cold, logical, serious, blank expression was taking the majority of the emotions. But Kyungsoo still spotted something else. Fear? Worry? He couldn't tell.

"Kyungsoo, I believe that the Branbers killed Junmyeon. I believe they are dangerous people, wielding dangerous powers, and ready to eradicate anything of us that will come their way."

Kyungsoo felt the anger build up in his brother's posture. This must be serious. Well, it actually is, incredibly serious. 

"I'm going to be sending you there as my own personal hand at the field. You'll be leading a fleet to the location from which we've heard last of Junmyeon. You are to find the island, and destroy it."

His words are heavy, his diction sharp and strict, and yet slightly hesitant. Only family would have noticed such miniature changes to the nuances, though.

"You understand what that means, right? Your mission is to kill every single one of the Branbers on the island, and get rid of the fire gem's existence as a whole. Kyungsoo, you'll become the empire's hero. A legend that'd be remembered through history."

Seungsoo's way of speaking now turned into trembling excitement. Ah... Being ambitious must be lively.

Wait. Wait what? His brother is going to send him to complete the world's greatest task? Kyungsoo felt the shock run over his body for a moment, but he quickly came back to his senses and accepted his fate. Submerged under the totalitarism of having no option to refuse, plus not wanting to.

Taking this job upon himself will cement his solid reputation as a Carrier. Nobody will dare to come for him or doubt him. As his rank is now, it'd already raise suspicion to doubt his status as a Carrier, but having this historic event happen under his command will turn him invincible.

Killing people was never on his list of things he wanted to do. In fact, he never actually had such a list to begin with. But despite the undeniable bright future that'll come to him with the succession of this operation, his insides turned into an ever twisting fold of fear. And guilt. And shame.

In the empire's history books there was never a hero who didn't have to pay for the consequences of their extreme actions, whether they were good or bad, a price was deemed of them. Either by the people, or by some sick godly interference.

Kyungsoo's eyes lowered to the active map on the table with the silence of acceptance.

"I know it's a big thing to ask. And I don't want you to misunderstand this. I'm not sending you off to die, I'm sending you there to secure your safety." Seungsoo added, his serious and stern commander facade fading away.

Kyungsoo had a bunch of contradicting thoughts flying across his mind. Is his brother actually sending him off to die like Junmyeon? Is he actually giving him an opportunity? Is he even allowed to doubt and have hesitations about a task he was given as a soldier? Is he willing to destroy an island and its people?

Seungsoo exhaled the steam of his excitement, then walked around the table and reached Kyungsoo, automatically causing the younger Do brother to stand up straight. At that point, he was no longer a commander, he had a proud smile across his lips when coming closer and wrapping his arms around Kyungsoo's shoulder in a hug.

"I believe in you. You've done an excellent job as the Dearthers' unit supervisor so far, and I know I can trust you."

It's actually... Very comforting to be hugged like this. By his own brother. Kyungsoo felt encouraged.

As the commander pulled away from the hug, he placed a hand on Kyungsoo's shoulder and gave him a confident nod.

"I've assigned a crew, and a fleet of our ten best warrior crafts. All under your command. I know it's sudden, but I wish you all the luck. Departure is set at dawn. You better return safely. Little bro."

Kyungsoo nodded seriously at his commander's words, until the very last bit, which caused him to feel almost giddy. He loves his brother. Adores him. They used to be so close and tight. Kyungsoo has his own struggles of course, but he knows he would have done whatever his brother asks even if it wasn't under the formality of their soldier ranks and titles.

"Thank you... Seungsoo." He responded with a warm yet not quite as cheery of an expression. Are soldiers even allowed to smile? Not that he wanted to.

If completing this mission means his brother will continue showing this much affection towards him in the future, it's only another motivator for the job. Plus, having such a big operation under his brother's Commander in Chief title would help him too. He'd earn the love of the empire's people, which would only work for his benefit once the emperor dies and he'd take over.

His brother is already twenty seven years old... And this is his second year as the Commander in Chief. The chances of the emperor reaching his thirtieth birthday are always low, which means the transition might happen awfully soon. And with Junmyeon missing, it's obvious that Seungsoo is worried about choosing his military successor.

Maybe all of this is a plan Seungsoo crafted in order to provide Kyungsoo with a chance of becoming a Commander in Chief himself? His heart swells from the possibility that his brother would go to such lengths for his sake. It's heartwarming to know that even while nearing his own death, Seungsoo still thinks of Kyungsoo's future.

It's important to treasure your loved ones. Or well, your Carrier loved ones. There's barely any time to enjoy one's life when a Carrier's ends within thirty years. Spending most of that time usually inside the military system, too.

The Carriers are the energy that holds the world together after all, being born blessed with the powers of a gem requires the heavy price of one's life force in return. 

When they reach their power's maturity and full potential, the gem takes back what belongs to it in order to sustain itself active. That's why not a single Lightless is allowed to take advantage of the Carrier's hard work to keep society safe, they can't contribute to the world.

Once Kyungsoo completes his mission, he won't have to worry about anything anymore. No Carrier will be suspicious of him ever again.

 

 

-----

 

 

"Unit 3X0, SM-Fleet , attention."

Kyungsoo knew he had to speak loud and clear for everyone to hear him. The Captains of the ten armored battleships under his command, and his six crew members, all stood in front of him in an orderly line, saluting.

"At ease." They lowered their arms in unison and placed them behind their backs instead. A soft thump of the heavy boots could be heard as their footings have shifted lightly.

"I don't like talking a lot. All of you know why you're here."

Kyungsoo began, talking in a neutral tone instead of the expected sharp structure fleet commanders usually embrace. He's been in charge of a unit of soldiers for some years, and yet he never attempted to copy the intimidating restrictions of connections between soldiers.

They're all in this situation together, might as well at least not make this a scary experience for those less used to it than himself.

"We'll be communicating through the Talkies within the ships. Further organizational instructions about the operation will be given at position. Captains, you handle your crews the way you see fit."

He explained with as little attempts to sound demanding as possible. He knows his brother wouldn't send him to his death, yet the fact that Junmyeon never returned to the empire after being sent to a simple observation mission, still puts Kyungsoo on edge.

Are theBranbers even truly enemies? Do they know the empire is coming for them? Have they been preparing for this moment for a thousand years as well? Are they prepared for a true war?

Kyungsoo exhaled lightly, looking at the serious faces of the ships' captains.

"We don't know what level of aggression to expect. Our intel provides that they're very dangerous. However, don't forget your hearts, and don't forget our goal. We're going there to erase an island from existence. So give it your all when the time comes."

He could feel his own expression and tone sharpening with intense sincerity at these words, so he quickly cleared his throat and did his best to tame his demeanor back to neutral.

"Good luck. Released."

All the captains saluted once more, then scattered around the docking area of their respective ships. Each captain then began instructing their own platoons of ten to fifteen soldiers, while the technical workers of the dock finished loading all needed equipment and resources onto the ships.

Kyungsoo then turned to his own smaller crew, already feeling relief that he's not being watched by unfamiliar eyes.

His crew is made out of all of his closest friends. His brother really did think of him.

 

 

Kim Minseok. ID 210326, a twenty six years old Ice Carrier. A veteran warrior whose attention to details during combat saved a whole platoon once. He captures everyone's attention with black fluffy hair and beautifully piercing light cyan eyes.

Zhang Yixing. ID 041007, a twenty five years old Life Carrier. A well renowned historian and journal keeper, also labled 'Keeper', who is a valuble asset to the empire's written records unity. His hair is a bit of a frazzled ashy blonde, with lime soft eyes.

Byun Baekhyun. ID 100506, a twenty four years old... hidden Lightless, just like Kyungsoo. But only Kyungsoo knows that. His genius mind and his sharp tongue are his greatest weapons. He and Kyungsoo spent the majority of their lives together. His earthy brown hair parted in the middle, and his cyan small eyes unfocused, lost in thought.

Kim Jongdae. ID 990922, a twenty four years old Electro Carrier. An expert mechanic who's described as 'Golden Hands' thanks to his exceptional knowledge in anything functional. His strongly pigmented yellow blond hair is trimmed carefully to show enough forehead and not get in the way of his yellow eyes.

Do Kyungsoo. ID 610112, a twenty three years old Lightless in disguise. Talents include doing whatever he is told, and being lucky thanks to his brother. He really doesn't think highly of himself does he. Managed to luck out and receive his mother's forest green eye color. On his head rests a fresh black haired buzz-like short cut.

Kim Jongin. ID 130114, a twenty two years old Tele Carrier. Still remembered as the highest ranking trained trooper on all fields. Unrealistically talented at everything. Even just existing and being pleasant to look at, with his silky light brown hair tied into a small ponytail above his neck, and his soulful black eyes.

Oh Sehun. ID 010412, a twenty two years old Air Carrier. A phenomenal pilot who got into a feud with his commander over a wrong aerodynamic equasion, and was deemed correct. Hard to argue against his intimidating green eyes when he has such a well styled black undercut.

 

 

All of them, including Junmyeon who is missing or dead, are fairly high ranking soldiers with a lot of reputation on their shoulders.

A few years back, all of them were put together in a unit for the sake of completing a secret transport deal with a crime group at the edge of the seventh empire island. Despite things getting out of control, the unit managed to not only keep the goods undamaged, but to capture the head of the criminal organization and bring an end to their reign on the island beneath the surface.

They kept each other close ever since.

Nobody was really talking. It seemed that each member of his crew was busy taking care of their own attribution to this operation. Yixing was piling up papers and ink, Jongdae and Sehun gave a thorough check to the ship itself, Baekhyun and Jongin were loading some food.

Kyungsoo wouldn't really describe it as being nervous, but he certainly did feel a strange buzz in the air at the large dock.

He's used to spending time near departure platforms, so the thick grey layer of clouds wrapped around the island's sky was nothing new. The rocky exterior of the cave-like dock looked very similar to the Dearther's partform, even though they're located at two separate corners of the island.

Humid wind was brushing over the leaves of the gigantic forest treetops right beyond the metalic tall barbed fences separating the military base's large dock from the nature surrounding it.

"Kyungs--- I mean, Sir, we're ready for take off."

A cheery turned fake-serious voice came behind him. Kyungsoo doesn't need to turn to know it was Baekhyun speaking, but he turned anyway in order for the two of them to enter their aircraft.

"And the fleet?" He asked, looking at his life time best friend.

"All confirmed ready through the Talkies."

Kyungsoo nodded with approval, and the two entered their battle ship for this operation.

A slightly smaller, older model compared to the rest of the fleet's ships, but they're a smaller crew that's technically not even supposed to get down and dirty in the possible battle itself. Just like every other ship, it's shaped similarly to a fish, built out of metalic plates and boards attached to one another with large screws. 

The wingspan of aircrafts is fairly small, compared to the large engine located at the bottom of the craft's back part. After all, these ships don't need anything other than a skilled Air Carrier pilot to fly. The engine is there solely for the purpose of keeping the systems inside of the craft working, like the ventilation and lights, and is completely unrelated to flight.

Kyungsoo fared his goodbyes to the dock workers before boarding his ship and finding his crew sitting ready in their positions. A crackling sound came from the ship's cockpit open space, where Jongdae and Sehun were seated.

"They say they're all ready, dock tower too, Captain Soo~"

Jongdae turned around and smiled, giving Kyungsoo a thumb up with his unique metalic fiber mechanic gloves.

After sitting down and clicking his seatbelt shut, Kyungsoo gave both Jongdae and Sehun a nod.

"Let's go."

 

 

Jongdae excitedly yet skillfully handled all of the coordination with the flight tower at the top of the mountain, then moments later, them and their ten combat aircraft fleet flew into the grey clouds. Disappearing out of sight, and losing their own sight for some time.

Nobody is worried. They know they're in the right direction, and It takes several minutes to fly past the layers of humid dark clouds that surround the entirety of the empire's military territory. Everything was rumbling, clicking and making shaky sounds as their ship trembled safely through the weather's turmoils.

And just as predicted, after several long minutes, they were out of the depressing grey. Instead, they were at the same level of, well, normal clouds. Soft cotton white clouds that are spreaded sparsely through the skies.

Everytime, with no change, going out into the sun like that is an event that takes time to recover from. They are all so used to the general dim light of the empire's underground living situation, that suddenly coming out of the darkness and into direct contact with the sun left them in a small shock each time.

Even though the only source of sunlight came from the front of the ship, since there were no other openings for view from the inside, aside from the open space cockpit, it was blinding at first. And took time to get used to.

Underneath them, the cracked earth laid bare.

Deep brown mixed with some greys, along with enormous craters going down as deep as the earth's core. Remains of the cracking that happened a thousand years ago, caused by the separation of the gems due to the Branbers' murderous actions.

Now all that's left are barren tough lands. The surface of the earth is scarred with the holes left by the departure of the islands from the ground. And within those giant trenches, rest the core gems connected into one. A large pink gem unstable and glowing in different directions. It's chaotic and uneven, making even the most sacred thing in existence lose its true beauty.

 

 

"So he was like---" Baekhyun shifted his position in the seat, crossing one leg above the other and straightening his back. His expression turned pouty, and he continued with a funny voice.

"dOn't YoU wAnt To eNTer tHis pLaCe?" He then switched back to his normal voice. "Well, duh, why would I be at your reception otherwise? Just let me in, bro, ID 100506."
"bUt wHY?"
"Oh my gem." Baekhyun placed a hand on his own forehead, acting a perfectly reasonable facepalm, which caused both Jongin and Yixing to chuckle.

"Either way the fool let me in, and then I had to go through ANOTHER receptionist! Who knew being a Keeper at the empire's written records unity is such a secured job!"

Baekhyun exclaimed with a mix of shock and an exaggerated sigh of frustration.

"I mean, Yixing did work with the military before, so I guess it makes him more important." Jongin reasoned with logic, sitting with his legs crossed like a bakery's pretzel on the floor while leaning back at the bottom of his seat.

"Well, if I'm that important, the unity sure knows how to make me Not feel that way."

Yixing responded with a sarcastic eyeroll, causing Jongin to laugh again while Baekhyun snickered in glee.

"Harsh words, write that down too!"

"I can't write that down, Baekhyun."

"Come on!" The other urged with a mischievous grin across his lips, watching with anticipation as Yixing raised his quill carrying hand up towards the ink container.

A silence fell on both him and Jongin as they followed Yixing's delicate and careful hand movement, however, their eyes quickly dropped when Yixing brought his hand back to the side of his body, letting out a small "Nope."

Resulting in yet another laughter from Jongin, and an amused pout of protest from Baekhyun.

"What are you actually going to write though?" Jongin asked again, curiousity in his eyes. It seems that everyone within hearing vicinity of the conversation were also curious, because even Sehun, Jongdae and Minseok turned quiet near the front of the ship. Mere meters away.

"Well, the first thing I will write is exactly where the fire gem island is located." Yixing began, humming lightly.

"Then... I want to write everything we learn. The fire gem people... 'Branbers'... They've been on their own for a thousand years. I want to write about their technology, what they wear and eat, how they live... I want to write about what we will find on the island."

Such a heartwarming answer. So would be the answer of a true Keeper. Especially a Life Carrier Keeper. Kyungsoo's always known that Yixing has a knack for these things. He can only hope that their operation won't happen too quickly for his friend to collect enough evidence and information.

Them going on a mission to destroy the island entirely means that by the time they return to the empire, there won't be anything to bring back. Nothing other than Yixing's records. Will they even be able to get close enough for him to learn the answers to all of his questions?

"It seems to me that someone is way too excited to be here." Jongdae's voice came from the front. He turned his seat around to face the group at the back, his lips forming an unhappy pout.

"Of course he'd be excited, he's going to be the only Keeper who gets to see this whole new island, ever. It's part of his job to want to know everything."

Minseok replied, giving Jongdae a curious look, almost as if concerned about the reasoning behind his salt flavored sarcastic statement. Jongdae's always been an enthusiastic appreciator of learning new things and putting them to use. Even Kyungsoo was a little confused as to why suddenly this sort of information isn't something that burns in his heart to know as well.

"I wish our mission wouldn't have included the whole..." Yixing gestured vaguely with his hands. "You know, destruction, thing." He sighed lightly, staring at the blank pieces of paper resting in a pile beside him. Tied carefully with a brown string.

"Yeah... I mean, of course they could be incredibly dangerous and all, but maybe they're not that bad." Jongin agreed, rubbing his head with an expression that looks a little emotionally scattered.

"Branbers could be different from us, but... They're also just like us. They're people. Supposedly, people who are Carriers of their own fire gem's powers."

Yixing proceeded, turning his eyes towards the open glass front of the ship. Sehun, who is calmly monitoring the ship's movement through the sky, turned his seat around as well and stared at the group seated at the back, all slumping in thoughts.

"What's with this sad party over there. You can't function without Junmyeon being here to baby all of you?" He asked with a raised eyebrow, trying to lock eye contact with any of them. 

Kyungsoo complied and they looked at each other for a little while of silence. Eventually He shrugged, and the silence continued. It's clear that they all know he's missing. But other than Kyungsoo, nobody knows why.

 

 

"I just---" Yixing broke the silence, this time, obviously with something that's been bothering him and weighing on his heart.

"I just wish there was another way. You know? What if they don't even want to fight? What if we're coming with a fleet of ten ships to murder a whole civilization of innocent people?"

He asked with emotion in his voice, hand placed on the paper beside his seat. Nobody could really retort an answer to this. None of them know. How could they? Kyungsoo wished he could tell them that the reason the island is suspected to be aggressive is because their very own friend might have lost his life there.

"It doesn't sound too far fetched, right? If you just look into our history, there is a clear way to solve all of this without shedding any blood at all. Not to sound like I'm ungrateful to the empire--- But... I almost feel ashamed that our whole lives revolve so much around battles and military and war."

Yixing kept on. Surprisingly, to nobody's burden. It seems like although Yixing's statement is extremely controversial, and could even be considered treason, nobody could refute that he's representing a thinking process that they all share. Especially when it comes from a knowledgable person like Yixing, what could simple minded soldiers like them say?

"B-But... In our history the Branbers massacered the Light gem's people..." Jongin hesitatingly replied. Not to open an argument about the subject, but rather to give Yixing further reason to continue explaining what he means.

Yixing gave a nod in Jongin's direction, then adjusted his position on his seat, and exhaled, preparing to speak.

"From the beginning of earth, the eight gems were connected into one single ninth entity. They've created their deities, and their deities created us, humans." Yixing started, receiving attentive silence in return.

"Each person born would become a Carrier of one of the gem's powers at random. And according to their carrier powers, they had different tasks to do for humanity's sake. Just like the soldiers of the empire, except with no war, weapons, or harm."

Minseok, Sehun and Jongin seemed to be especially interested in Yixing's rundown of history. And while Baekhyun was staring at the ground lost in thought, Kyungsoo noticed Jongdae slowly growing impatiant.

"The light gem's people, being a power created from the energy of all the gems combined together, were fated to become the leaders of humanity. Receiving not only the usual powers like the rest, but deeper insight as well."

It was actually interesting to listen to this. Mostly because when history is shoved down the throat it becomes insufferable. And yet when presented with genuine passion, it turns into a whole new story.

"Unhappy with it, were the Branbers, the fire gem people. Being the protectors who do most of the taxing physical labour to keep everyone safe, they felt like it was unjust for them to have no say within the leadership ranks."

Yixing exhaled slowly.

"Noticing their unhappy people, the fire gem's deity, the strong and prideful being, spoke to their people through dreams and instructed them into a revolutio---"

"Yeah right, what is this nonsense? As if they weren't just hungry for more power, like you'd expect from a power that comes from anger." Jongdae butted in, rolling his eyes and resting an elbow on the side of his seat.

Yixing gave him a short glance, but nobody else bothered reacting to the comment, so Yixing nodded to confirm he's going to continue.

"They've secretly prepared a raid, and massacred the Carriers of the light gem. The other deities, shocked by the deeds of the fire, sentenced the deity, the gem, and the people into a thousand years of exile, in which at the end, they will pay the last price with their own lives."

The atmosphere got heavy.

"However, in order for the punishment to take action, the gem had to separate. Ejecting the fire out of itself in the form of another individual gem, that was forced away from the earth via the explosion that gave our planet the title 'Cracked Earth'. Destroying the surface of the land and, within the chaos of the now unstable gems, shooting out of the earth the islands we now call home."

"Exactly. The reason the world is so messed up right now is thanks to these es Branbers. If the punishment they received was a thousand years of exile, and then to get extirpated, then it's our 'Historical Duty' or whatever, to fulfill that. They've done wrong, they will pay." Jongdae spoke again, giving Yixing a harsh glare of determination.

Whoa. It seems that Jongdae's sense of patriotism and rightousness takes a large portion of his mind. Other than Kyungsoo, it seemed that everyone were pretty surprised by the cold hearted reply.

 

 

"Aren't a thousand years enough?" Yixing asked him, his expression giving away that he's unhappy to hear such things.

"I'm not the one to make the call about that. And frankly, I don't know if a thousand is enough. Hell, I don't even know if a million would be enough." Jongdae replied, waving his arm sideways to express his disagreement. He stood up from his seat as well.

"We're now stuck, just like they are. Our empire had to live a thousand years while being convinced that they're under constant danger from these barbaric heads. I don't know, and I don't care if they have suffered or not. But what I do know, is that I hate living with the constant blaring reminder in my head, telling me that I might not have a next day to wake up to,"

Jongdae's voice rises, not a lot, but although the volume isn't unbearable, his intense sharp diction and his stiff shoulders as he begins approaching the group are quite stressful to look at.

"And that I have to be locked inside boring bases underground without a hint of light other than electricity that I provide myself. And It's sickening me to even be outside and see no sun, just more freaking grey wherever I look. It's frustrating that we're locked as victims of a punishment we shouldn't even pay for," He placed a hand on his chest, gripping at the special utility strap attached to his mechanic uniform.

"I don't want to be on the same level as these murderers, and suffer, and I don't want to die in six years, just because they couldn't handle doing some work. Now our whole lives revolve around them. I'm tired of it,"

His voice cracked with the pain behind his emotions being poured out to everyone.

"And you know," He cracked an empty sad smile underneath his blank yet slightly wet eyes. Raising both his hands up in a lazy defeated stance. "If becoming a killer is what it takes so that at least nobody after me will suffer like I do, and go through what I have to, then so be it."

He allowed his hands, together with his forced smile, to drop, before turning around and making his way back to his seat. He slumped back into it and turned it around to face the glass from of the ship instead of having to see anyone else and their reactions.

At this point, one would expect that Yixing, along with everyone else, will remain quiet and let the heat of the moment's anger pass. Kyungsoo was convinced it's what would happen, so he started shifting his weight in an attempt to stand up.

To his surprise, instead of going along with the flow, Yixing clicked his tongue in frustration and grabbed onto the side of his seat.

"This wasn't even the point. You think it doesn't scare me either? You think that just because I'm a Life Carrier I get a spare on death? I wasn't talking about this." He replied, gripping onto the seat with his own energy of determination.

"But what if you don't have to become a killer to achieve the goal you're seeking? What if nobody has to die at all? What i---" Yixing paused when Jongdae's seat ce more, and he rose up to his feet quickly this time. Starting to make his way towards Yixing.

"Shut up, I don't care what you're thinkng, about all of your pretty little 'what if's. We have a concrete way of solving the problem, that's what we're doing on this mission, get on with your---" Jongdae began arguing back, and this time, Yixing had risen up as well, stepping in Jongdae's direction to stand up to him.

"No! I won't shut up. Use your brain for once, I thought mechanics were supposed to be smart. If the Light Carriers' massacre accured a thousand years ago, and is the reason for this on going 'war' situation, what was before that happened? How did the world look like before the gems banished their fire away?" Yixing's speaking volume raised a little, the tension kept rising between the two.

Baekhyun, Minseok, and Jongin all stood up as well, getting into careful positions to tear the two apart in case it turns into violence.

"I don't know?! If you know all so much why do you keep asking so many damn questions then?!" Jongdae called out, pointing at his own head to mimic it being empty to express it to Yixing.

"If the war began as a punishment, and the world broke apart, it means that before there was any need for punishment, there was peace! All of the gems connected together into one gem that kept the whole earth alive. It kept the people, the deities, the planet alive and safe. Early historians and wise elders kept suggesting in all of their writings that getting the gemstones back together will return the peace to the earth---"

Yixing continues his preech, he also continues walking in Jongdae's direction, but he's stopped by Minseok's hand gently grabbing onto his arm.

"Ohhh, we're listening to stupid Lightless shmucks now, Huh? You prefer listening to old geezers who are a burden on our already short lives, over listening to your own fellow Carrier soldiers?"

Jongdae's attitude feels a lot more aggressive than Yixing's, which is why Jongin's priority wasn't the peaceful protestor. 

He mumbled a quiet and stressed "Stop it..." that got ignored by the two. So instead he placed himself behind Jongdae and locked him in a hold. One arm pulled Jongdae's arm back, while the other wrapped around his chest from the side upwards like a safety belt.

"I'm telling you, there is a way to make this work! We just need to find how to combine the gems again and---" Yixing insisted, Minseok at least kept him in place.

"If you knew all of this for so long why haven't you presented your case to the emperor then, huh? Why wait until the very last moment, while you're on the ship heading to destruction, and not create a change before?" Jongdae mocked coldly while struggling to not escape, but loosen Jongin's grip on his body.

Yixing looks stumped by the question. Not surprised, but rather, like there's something he's holding back from saying. 

"Stop it, both of you. It's enough." 

Baekhyun called out in a serious intimidating tone, stepping between them and spreading his arms to push them apart in a fair distance. When it comes to things of this sort, Kyungsoo is glad that Baekhyun is his very own right hand man.

Both ends went quiet. Only their heated breathes, Jongdae's subtle struggle to get free, and the ship's engine could be heard. Their lack of words was almost defeaning. It felt like electronic sparks of energy flew all over. But Kyungsoo couldn't see them.

It's very hard to get Jongdae to lose control like this. It's even harder to make Yixing lose his pleasant and calming status quo of charm.

"Gh--- Finally." Jongdae huffed out when Jongin had released him with concern on his face. Yixing had already went back and sat down by now. The two forces avoided collision this time.

"I did... though. I did try to bring it to the emperor. Me and almost fifty more Keepers have collected all of the historical proof for that plan to be accepted... I thought we did really well, because he seemed to approve of our resolution."

Yixing talks again, this time quiet, burned out, sad. Although Jongdae's back is turned in Yixing's direction, Kyungsoo was sure he too, was still listening.

"We thought we solved it. It happened almost a year ago--- But a few weeks ago something changed." He exhaled shakily and ran a hand over his face.

"Me and the rest of the Keepers prepared a whole set of instructions and propositions for the military to follow, as this operation was supposed be a peaceful one. But suddenly it was all scrapped. We were told the plans have changed and that we should stop working on it. And... That was it." His hand then ran higher, through his hair and back to his neck.

"When I heard I was being appointed to this operation, I thought somehow we succeeded anyway. But after hearing the briefing, I realized that there might be something, a deeper rooted reason as to why it got rejected. Something bigger than the emperor's own decisions. I wanted to throw up."

Discomfort and a sense of a small space closing in on all of them could be felt, passing each one of them. It felt like something was wrong with everything all around them. Kyungsoo knew this feeling was mutual when he managed to make eye contact with both Minseok, and Sehun, who still sat back at the open cockpit area.

"I thought that by coming to this mission, it'll be my last chance to make a change. My last opportunity to maybe create a new page in a history that doesn't revolve around war, and pain, and suffering." Yixing's eyes were dancing in their sockets, focusing on nothing in particular down on the floor.

Baekhyun settled back in the sitting area beside Yixing, and began his back gently. Adjusting himself closer and closer to his friend.

"And if not make a change, I could at least document our terrible mistakes, and let the next generations understand how foolish they'd be if they continue in our deathly bloodied path of destruction and chaos."

He expressed with subtle spite to his tone. Not spite towards Jongdae, or the Branbers, but rather a rare sort of anger that's turned towards oneself. Yixing was furious at himself. At the empire's choice of action. At the fact that he, and everyone else on this ship knew, that being angry about it wouldn't change the orders they're going to have to follow, whether they like it or not.

A heavier silence fell upon the ship.

Jongdae took the steps and sat down for the final time in this conversation. Everyone were troubled, and quiet, and tense.

This whole storm of anger and fear passed as quickly as it came. And thankfully, slowly but surely, the atmosphere began soothing back down after a while. When Sehun pointed out that the sun is about to set, and that their ship will be put on auto pilot during the night.

Kyungsoo, who realized he hasn't said a word the entire time, seized the opportunity to raise a conversation with everyone about their tasks for the rest of the flight. It'd be enough distraction from the awkwardness the argument had caused.

They have at least a day and a half more of air travel before reaching the last location Junmyeon has been confirmed to be alive at.