Chapter 5

Violet

 

Since it was still fairly early in the day after Kyungsoo, Minseok and Jongdae parted ways with busy bee Chanyeol, they had decided to return to their ship until the evening comes and sunset comes with it.

"I really don't get why you two are still wearing these awful boots out in the sand." Minseok sighed when the three of them sat in the general area at the center of the ship.

"It's so refreshing to walk around without them. The sand is warm and soft. It feels like it's cleaning my skin even." He kept going, pointing at his own foot and wiggling his toes on the metalic floor of the ship.

Kyungsoo had already been convinced that wearing these boots is a torture on this island. He already knows that at the moment he switches to bare feet, he'd regret not doing it sooner. But on the other hand... As the captain... Can he really do that...?

Jongdae sighed lightly, running a hand over his blonde hair and staring down at the floor.

"I just... can't. I don't want to get attached to this place. We're supposed to destroy it soon enough. Why would I bring that pain on myself if I can avoid it...?"

He had a point. Kyungsoo hasn't even thought about it that way. They really are supposed to make this place vanish, and it could happen any day depending on Seungsoo's orders. So far, they haven't received any new orders... But that could change any moment.

"You will never get a chance to do this again if you won't do it now." Minseok retorted with a small encouraging smile and patted Jongdae's shoulder a few times.

"Besides, soon enough we will have to rely on the island's resources to continue surviving on it. We don't have much food left from the empire, and the water tank is already half empty."

He continued, this time turning to look at Kyungsoo instead of Jongdae.

"Their fields had many colors..." Was all Kyungsoo could muster as a response, unsure whether or not he should confirm or deny. He knows it's the truth, but he felt like saying it out loud in front of Jongdae would stress him out.

Minseok blinked surprised, then began laughing wildly, smacking Jongdae's back a few times in amusment.

"See? Even the Captain likes it here!" 

"Come on..." Jongdae sighed, but chuckled shortly after from the sheer inability to stop himself when Minseok was laughing this happily right beside him.

"I bet your stubborn is the reason Kyungsoo doesn't take his boots off either. I mean, Sehun and Yixing. The two of them don't even wear their own shirts anymore. They were given outfits similar to those of the locals... They must be enjoying the weather so much while wearing them."

Minseok exhaled with a clear sign of envy. Being an Ice Carrier, or maybe just because, Minseok really dislikes spending a lot of time in hot locations. And even though he has been sweating quite a lot on this island, he hasn't complained once or expressed his need to return to the empire's cooler temperatures.

Jongdae glanced at Kyungsoo after Minseok spoke, questioningly staring at him to receive any signal about whether or not Minseok's accusation is correct.

Kyungsoo would never admit that, so he simply averted his eyes to the side, pretending to busy himself with his uniform's shoulder pad.

He heard Minseok's laughter bursting out again, and Jongdae making whiny sounds of embarrassment.

 

 

Hours later, after a nice afternoon of the three members of unit 3X0 spending some time together, Kyungsoo noticed the skies are beginning to shift their colors. Turning from blue to pink to orange, and he knew that his agreement with Chanyeol will need to be fulfilled soon.

"It's sunset. Let's go."

He called out, fixing up and tightening a few of his uniform's details after he had loosened them while inside the ship. He stood up by the exit out of the ship and stared back at the pair sitting and looking at him.

"Go where?" Jongdae asked.

"Go meet with Chanyeol, like we agreed earlier."

"Are you sure the two of us should come? Chanyeol asked you to join him, not us." Minseok asked with genuine curiousity.

Huh? What are they on about? Clearly, the only reason Chanyeol asked Kyungsoo and not them is because he views Kyungsoo as their captain and leader. So it was obvious he in fact invited everyone within Kyungsoo's commandable reach.

"Don't be ridiculous. He has no reason to invite me alone." Kyungsoo sighed lightly.

"I don't know man, he looked pretty adamant on you." Minseok shrugged, but stood up to join Kyungsoo anyway. Jongdae followed suit, putting no effort into fixing his loose uniform this time. Maybe Minseok's words actually got to him.

Eventually, the three of them made their way back into the village.

At the moment they crossed the arched open gate, the village already looked different. In fact, none of them have seen how the village looks like during the dark hours that come after sunset. But even so, they could tell something special was happening.

On a normal evening, Kyungsoo would have guessed that the little nooks spreaded around the various structures of the village would become a fiery little lighting source, much like the small fire balls they had seen in as a part of the chandelier located in the council's room at the top of the tower.

But this night was different.

All of the large wooden poles, ropes, and planks they have seen the locals transfer and prepare during the day, were packed with a whole bunch of cloth decorations. Many of which seemed to be the same designed baubles they had made earlier and brought with them under Chanyeol's request.

Some of the decorations were shaped like flowers, or fruit, but most of them were shaped in an unfamiliar shape that neither of them could recognize. It looked like a long thin tube, with two other smaller tubes connected to it at the top, making the shape of a loose X.

Each of those, lit from the inside with a flame small enough that the cloth wouldn't even be singed. The power of fire, as opposed to how destructive and dangerous he was always taught could be, is actually incredibly beautiful and useful when used for the right purposes.

The center of the village was crowded with the local people. Wonder Souls and Teachers alike, were walking around, chatting, laughing and enjoying their time there.

There were different banners hanging on the walls of the sand buildings, most of them depicting images of something that looks like a snake but with a big head and wings. A scaly creature it probably is, if to judge by how much effort and time it must have taken to stick each of the little golden colored cloth scales onto the drawing of the creature's body.

The village was filled with so much light, and life, that Kyungsoo almost forgot just how dark the skies were above him.

Eventually, he spotted a tall fluff of deep brown hair coming in his direction from the crowd. Chanyeol must have seen them.

"Oh, Kyungsoo! You made it!" His eyes seemed to be brighter than ever. The red in them glistening beautifully with the reflection of all the little flames surrounding this village center.

His excited smile tamed down however, when he spotted Minseok and Jongdae standing behind Kyungsoo.

What's with this reaction? Were Minseok and Jongdae correct? Did Chanyeol really only invite Kyungsoo?

Doesn't matter. He'll gain nothing by trying to think about it any more.

"Thank you for coming here. I hope you will enjoy tonight, it seems the gem is smiling upon us, because the sky is so clear without a single cloud." Chanyeol explained with a gentle smile, and moved his hands as if to give the trio instructions on a certain way to hold the baubles in their hands.

With one hand above, and one under the little cloth bubble, Chanyeol clicked his fingers.

At first they seemed confused, but after Minseok's wonderous impressed noises, Kyunsoo quickly looked at his own bauble. It was glowing. A tiny little flame was dancing inside it, making it emit a gentle warm light.

"Make sure to hold onto it until it's time to release them. Otherwise they'd float away." Chanyeol smiled down at Kyungsoo, and very gently slid the string attached to the bauble's top part over Kyungsoo's finger.

Curiously, Kyungsoo released the ball from his hand, and it began floating upwards, staying connected only by the string wrapped over his finger.

"It's starting very soon. I hope you'll like it."

Chanyeol stated calmly, and began leading Kyungsoo and the other two through the crowd to one of the less dense corners of the village center.

"Please stay here for now, one of the Teachers will tell you where to go next. I have to get ready." He explained to Kyungsoo with an apologetic nod, then waved goodbye and walked right into the crowd again. A fluffy haired head bouncing around until Kyungsoo could see it no more.

 

 

Standing there and looking around though, Kyungsoo noticed that the outfits the locals were wearing are different from their usual attires. Normally they wear simple layers of cloth that don't cover much of their skin and look worn out.

But right now, it seems they were all dressed in clean, formal clothes. Well, more like strongly pigmented dresses and cloaks. The main color he could see was red, but a lot of thin lace adornments on their outfits were dyed in bright yellow and white.

It felt like the village was expressing a holiday spirit of some sorts.

This sort of celebratory atmosphere reminded Kyungsoo of the only day in a year where even the empire celebrates. During that day the residents of the empire get to see the military parade march across the main street of the underground city. There would be soldiers playing drums in the marching rhythm, and everyone would be dressed in white to show their gratitude for keeping the empire safe and protected.

But... This celebration is completely different.

This atmosphere is nothing like the confined and strict manner in which the empire parade marches.

Everyone looked genuinely happy, excited, and free. Children were running around with little baubles in their hands, elders were handing out small cloth wrapped hay strands like gifts. And with all the natural fiery lights around, it felt cosy, almost magical.

 

 

Kyungsoo had gotten so lost in people watching and absorbing the atmosphere, that he nearly missed the fact that the people began flowing towards one direction. The way that leads to the fields at the edge of the island.

Minseok had to tap his shoulder to remind him to move, and as they started following the river of people heading to the fields, the elder Teacher from the council came beside him with a smile.

"I see that Chanyeol didn't joke around when he said he'd invite you. I hope you enjoy the celebration." He said, leading the three of them to stand on the hill that oversees the whole area of greenery on the island.

While standing up on the hill with a few of the other elders, Kyungsoo watched the majority of the Wonder Souls on the island gather on the large flower field right by the ledge that meets with the sky itself.

He also spotted the rest of his crew standing on top of another hill to the side. Junmyeon enthusiastically talking to Sehun with the taller's arm around his waist. Yixing writing down on his papers energetically, Baekhyun talking to him and pointing out different details. And Jongin beside him waving to a few of the children making their way to the field.

None of them wearing even a hint of their military uniforms. And Kyungsoo is... Glad. He doesn't know why, but it made him feel good to see them letting go of the burden of having to represent the empire in any way.

The young Wonder Souls gathering on the fields all raised their lit baubles above their heads, then in one swift wave, clicked their tongues to turn the little flames inside of them off again.

Everyone who wasn't a Wonder Soul themselves, were standing on top of hills and watching from a distance.

"Welcome to our Fire Dragon Passing festival."

The old man beside Kyungsoo spoke in a proud tone. And Kyungsoo saw how the teen and below Wonder Souls walked backwards to fill the rows and paths dividing the actual produce fields, leaving the adults standing in a circle at the center of the flower field.

Some of the Teacher elders were located at the corners of the field on both sides, holding unique looking wooden instruments in their hands.

A cold breeze crossed the air, and those holding the instruments began playing music on them. It sounded like nothing Kyungsoo has heard before. Different wooden knocking instruments, a few flutes, a large leather drum and many smaller wooden instruments with strings.

All began playing in unison to create music that pleasantly echoed through the fields, carried by the wind and filling the air.

At the same time, the adult Wonder Souls at the field began moving... No, not moving. They began dancing. All together, the whole group doing the exact same moves either towards the center of the circle, or outwards. Kyungsoo spotted a familiar tall man in the circle. Doing his absolute best with the rest of the adults.

The music kept getting more and more intense with emotions. They began shooting small balls of fire from the tips of their fingers, creating shapes and images out of flames, while growing a tall fire pillar that kept growing more and more up into the sky like a huge beacon.

After a while, the music had calmed down to a softer tone.

The Wonder Souls performing came to a cease back in the perfect circle they had before, and raised their arms together, allowing the fire pillar at the center to float upwards and slowly turn itself off with the wind.

Darkness overtook the fields, and it looked like all of the Wonder Souls, children and adults alike, started spreading even more through the flowers and crops fields alike. Gathered in smaller groups located randomly across the area.

The music finally stopped fully, and Kyungsoo only then realize how loud his own heart was beating inside his chest. Something about this is so powerful. So enchanted. Even just the fire performance felt out of this world.

 

 

A voice then began singing, the adult Wonder Soul woman standing at the center of the whole area started singing. And by the time she reached the second line of the song, the entirety of the Wonder Souls began singing with her.

Kyungsoo's entire body shivered strongly.

In the absolute darkness of the fields, the Wonder Souls were singing together in unison. The melody kept rising and falling in tone, but every single Wonder Soul, whether if a child, a teen, or an adult, were singing together in harmony.

A fist clenched at the side of his body when Kyungsoo felt his throat tightening with emotions. He couldn't explain it. He didn't understand why, but all of those people... All of those wielding the power of the fire, singing down in the fields... They will be gone sooner or later. They will never get to experience what it's like to see them conduct this ceremony from a hill.

If they won't die by the empire's cruelty, they'd die from the natural cycle of life force that befell them as a price for their given powers.

The lyrics of the song included many different variations of ways to express gratitude. Towards the gem, their island, the nature, and each other. There was so much love and meaning behind each word.

In all honesty, it does look strange at first. A bunch of young people standing in darkened fields and singing towards the sky together. And Kyungsoo had no idea what to expect that'd happen next in this ritual.

Eventually, the song ended, and the silence filled the air once more.

Something really magical is in the air for sure. Kyungsoo cannot see it, but he can feel a strong energy creating a connection between the souls of those present in this location.

A voice calls out from the very edge of the field then, one of the Teachers who played on the instruments shouted loud for a moment. It made Kyungsoo jump in surprise. But the council elder standing beside him gave him a reassuring smiling nod.

He continued watching the edge of the island in anticipation, and indeed, his patience paid off when he saw what looks like a giant scaly creature fly up into the sky above the island.

Wide eyed, he watched the creature swirl around itself in absurd speed several times. Many of the Wonder Souls by the fields began cheering in excitement. But Kyungsoo simply couldn't believe his eyes.

Is this... Is this the creature he had seen portrayed in the images he saw on the banners that hung at the center of the village?

 

 

However, the creature stretched itself in the sky right above the fields and the hills surrounding it. Losing its original shape. Very slowly, Kyungsoo noticed that what comes down towards the island was not a scaly creature, but rather what looks like a swarm of hundreds, no, hundreds of thousands of small glowing insects.

Slowly and with no fear, the layer of glowing insects, like a blanket, floated down towards the island. Landing down on the heads of people, the shoulders and clothes, hands, feet... They landed everywhere, making the fields glow and the Wonder Souls cheer victoriously.

At that moment, the Teachers by the edges of the fields began playing calm and pleasant music.

"These are Fireflies." The elder next to Kyungsoo held his hand up, where a small insect was standing. "Each on their own makes just a small light. But together, they are bright enough to light the sky like the fiery breath of a dragon."

He explained, and although Kyungsoo didn't have any previous knowledge about a creature called 'Dragon', he easily connected the dots and realized the creature on the banners was what he talked about.

Behind him, Kyungsoo heard Minseok and Jongdae giggling happily and moving around with the fireflies around them.

And when he turned to look back at the fields, his breath got stuck in his throat.

It was... Mystical. Magical. Beautiful beyond belief. 

The fireflies lazily floated around the Wonder Souls who carefully swayed from side to side, allowing the chunks of swarms to land on their bodies and rest. Kyungsoo could see endless bright smiles shining and sparkling with the tiny dots of light being emitted from the fireflies.

The children were ecstatic, and the adults were happily chatting with their arms spread to provide even more space for the insects to land on. A few of them even lied on the ground and allowed themselves to be covered entirely by the shiny little lights.

He glanced over at the hill nearby, where the rest of his crew were standing.

It seemed that Sehun and Jongin made it their mission to cover Yixing with as many fireflies they could possibly gather, while beside them, at what looks like absolute tranquility, Junmyeon stood with his eyes shut, a few fireflies on his head and shoulders, and just breathed in the air.

Looking back at himself, Kyungsoo found that a single firefly had landed on his sleeve. He stared at it quietly for a while, then back at the Wonder Souls laughing with joy, the Teachers smiling with pride, and the magical glow of this phenomenon... And then it hit him.

His heart had shifted. It moved ever so slightly to the side, and he no longer understood what he was doing there at all.

Days ago... Was he really supposed to... Kill all of this?

A painful sting hit him front the inside at the realization, and at that moment, he managed to spot Chanyeol in the fields.

He was crouched down in front of a few of the youngest children of the bunch, smiling widely as they all carefully stacked individual fireflies on his head and hunched back. He was happy. Everyone were happy.

And Kyungsoo? He was... Happy, too.

 

 

After several minutes of what felt like a small sip of heaven, the music being played had gotten a little more powerful, and the fireflies started floating back up into the air. Lazily and slowly flapping their small wings to rise up to their forming swarm in the sky.

The music now had reached the peak of emotions, and the swarm huddled together in the sky once more. Shifting and swirling around itself just like the snakey movements Kyungsoo would have assumed a creature like a dragon would do.

It felt like the dragon was watching the island, before it began flying again. The swarm flew lower towards the ground, passing right by the many Wonder Souls spreaded in the fields, over the edge, up to the sky, and then across the fields and over the entire island from higher above. Until the dragon of fireflies' trail vanished behind the waterfall's hill of the island.

There was a moment of awed silence shared by everyone around. But right after, a click his heard, and every single little cloth bauble in the vicinity lit up and began floating, attached to the hands of their holders. Even the elders had little glowing balloons attached to their fingers with a string.

"Happy passing!" 

The crowd of Wonder Souls began shouting, and releasing the strings from their fingers, allowing the baubles to float up in the air with no restrictions. The Teachers and council members have all done the same, and Kyungsoo quickly joined. Letting his little creation join the beautiful trail of floating glowing balls be carried by the wind and light up the sky once more.

Right after that, tall wooden torches and decorations hanging by more ropes lit up around the entire area. Making it look as festive and bright as the center of the village did before moving to the fields.

Wonder Souls of all ages began jumping, clapping, cheering, laughing and hugging each other in celebration of what Kyungsoo assumed was a successful Fire Dragon Passing ceremony. By now, many of the elders and Teachers started descending from the hills in order to join the Wonder Souls in the fields.

The music started playing again, this time a bright and cheerful simple tune.

Kyungsoo too, made his way to the fields as well. Standing near the Council of Radiance members that gathered at the edge of the flower field to rest on the sand rocks by another hill.

Finally, the rest of his crew seemed to have spotted him, and made their way to him as well. From the way their eyes were shining, he could tell they were in awe from this event. They were buzzed with energy and excitement. Like a magical force was flowing through them, as it did through the entire island's population.

At first they seemed to be holding back while being in Kyungsoo's vicinity, but he could easily tell they wanted to experience this further.

"Unit 3X0." He called out fairly loudly and formally, sounding almost intimidating. Unintentionally grabbing the attention of a few of the locals as well.

After seeing the surprised expressions on his friends, Kyungsoo loosened his shoulders and eased his own standing position.

"You're free to celebrate as you'd wish. Just please stop looking at me like that."

He said with a small sigh, receiving a round of chuckles from his friends.

"Yes sir!" They all called in unison before turning around and heading into the crowd occupying the fields.

 

 

He watched how Junmyeon and Sehun found a spot by the music players and began dancing together. How Jongin was already surrounded by many Wonder Soul children seeking his attention. How Minseok and Jongdae toured their way around the fields to check out the different stations set up from which people were giving away random items.

Yixing, surprisingly, caved under Baekhyun's persuation, and the two of them enjoyed their writing-free time with the music while holding hands.

"Hey, would you dance with me?"

A voice came from beside Kyungsoo. It startled him, and his body tensed up defensively as an automatic reaction.

It was only Chanyeol with his hand reached out for Kyungsoo to grab in case he'd agree to join him, and a warm smile across his lips. Has he always had a dimple on his left cheek? Because in this light, suddenly Kyungsoo just can't ignore it. It's cute.

The amount of time it took Kyungsoo to process an answer to the question became awkwardly lengthy, and by the time Kyungsoo shook his head to decline the offer because, clearly, the captain cannot dance. Kyungsoo cannot dance. This is beyond what he's willing to ever do. Chanyeol had already lowered his hand.

"Maybe another time then?" He tried so hard to keep his facade uplifted, but Kyungsoo could tell he was disappointed by the cold decline.

He didn't even respond, so Chanyeol just laughed in amusement and turned to walk away, leaving Kyungsoo's spot with a wide wave.

Kyungsoo's good enough just watching from afar. Which is exactly what he did after Chanyeol left. He followed the easily recognizable fluffy head through the crowd with his eyes, and kept watching Chanyeol chat around with all sorts of different people who were in the field dancing.

Kyungsoo's good. He's good. He shouldn't get involved too deply. He shouldn't get his feelings involved. He shouldn't cross lines he'd never be able to return from.

 

 

After hours of partying into the night, the celebration seemed to be slowly dying out. Many of the younger children had already been taken back to their bedding lodge, and there was a significantly smaller amount of elders still remaining in the vicinity of the fields.

Even the music had already stopped and the instruments taken back to the village. It was mostly adult Wonder Souls and Kyungsoo's crew who remained.

Sehun had already been given the permission to sleep the nights with Junmyeon in the communal structure of the village, but the rest of the crew started making their way out of the fields in order to cross the village and reach their ship.

"Kyungsoo!"

Kyungsoo stopped in his steps and turned around, seeing Chanyeol standing behind him beneath the hill.

"Thank you for coming. Did you see our fire dance?" He asked, wide shiny eyes filled with expectations. How could Kyungsoo ignore that.

"I did. You were very cool." He replied quietly.

"Haha, thank you! Good night!"

Chanyeol beemed with happiness before cheerfully greeting Kyungsoo goodnight and rushing back to the rest of the adult Wonder Souls who were sitting in the flower field and chatting.

What... On earth.... Is he thinking. 'You were very cool' ? Really? Is he an idiot? Why did he say such a thing to Chanyeol? Where did it even come from? Since when does he ever say such things to anyone, at all, ever?

All through the path back to the ship, Kyungsoo lamented over his miserable comment to Chanyeol. And then he struggled some more to understand why he even cares about that in the first place.

But eventually, they all bedded for the night.

 

 

Lying silently in his lower bunk of the bed, Kyungsoo gave himself a recap of all of their experiences on the island so far.

He used to have dreams about a land like this. This... Utopia. A paradise floating in the air. This island, untouched by the evil corruption and paranoia of any of the empire's military destructive islands, is the purest thing that Kyungsoo knows exists.

The earth is broken, harsh, and dangerous. A space forced only upon those the empire deems unworthy of their utilities.

The empire islands are living in constant fear. In cruelty, in cold grey skies and colorless uniforms. Their technology might be advanced, but their humanity fell. Got lost in time and replaced with an aggressive false instinct for preservation at all costs.

But the fire island... Is Pure. It's small, beautiful, and raw. The people are kind, warm, welcoming and genuine. There's no such thing as differences between the different types of people in their society. Everybody is equal from birth.

 They treasure their lives... The exact opposite of the empire's obsession with death.

On one hand, Kyungsoo knows deep down that he will have to destroy this island and everything on it. But on the other hand, he... Almost feels like he wants to destroy himself. So that he wouldn't have to execute that action.

And if not himself, he would want to destroy at least his past self. Maybe he could become a part of this land he had always dreamed of. 

How is such euphoria surrounding a gem island that got exiled for committing such terrible crimes in the past? Maybe in order to reach such a state, he will have to commit a terrible crime himself. Like deserting his military duties...

No. Has he gone mad? He cannot do such a thing. What about his brother? His crew? He cannot just leave them all behind for his own selfish desire. 

He just doesn't want this moment... This place, these people, their true happiness to vanish. He had received more warmth from the strangers on this island than he had ever received from the people he knows in his life on the empire island.

But in the end of the day, if destroying this island will keep him alive, will keep him safe in the empire, that's what he knows he would do. He's just a soldier doing his job, after all.

His heart was aching. He tried to force himself to believe in the thoughts he was so used to having cross his mind. But something had changed. Something was different. He just couldn't fully commit to agreeing with those statements anymore. And it troubled him.

 

 

-----

 

 

Kyungsoo was standing on top of the hill overlooking the fire island's fields. The breeze was cool and pleasant, the sun hitting the top of his head and shoulders from above without mercy. Looking down at himself, he was wearing nothing but his underwear. But looking around, it seemed that the whole area was clear of people, so he didn't feel the need to get embarrassed. Plus, after changing his daily attire into a local fit, he didn't find the light sensation so foreign anymore.

He stood like that for a while, staring at the little white clouds breaking the clean blue skies in the far distance away from the island. It felt warm and nice to be this peaceful.

Suddenly, from the very edge of the flower fields, rose the dragon swarm of fireflies and began twirling in the air. Except... Now that it is day time, they weren't glowing, they didn't look like a dragon at all. They were just... Dark, large insects flying in odd directions as a swarm.

Kyungsoo started feeling uncomfortable standing on that hill. It'd be strange and gross if any of those bugs landed on his exposed body. But he stayed and watched how the dark cloud of flies spread above the fields and started landing. Just like the ceremony he's already seen several long days ago.

Well, this isn't so bad, is what he initially thought, but when the bugs finally made contact with the ground, or the field crops, or any flower, it caught on fire. At first Kyungsoo thought it was just a momentary occurance.

But when the main blanket of dark bugs fell on top of the fields, everything caught on fire, and with the wind blowing by the edge of the island, the flame spread over everything that is growing in the whole area immediately.

Kyungsoo panicked, watching how the Branbers--- No, how the fire islanders' hard work is burning up and getting destroyed. The smell of this scene was putrid. Not only did the greenery smell bad, but the insects bodies catching flame stank really bad.

As fast as the fire took over, it also vanished. Leaving nothing but the ruins of what once was behind. Kyungsoo's stomach twisted hard, and he felt like either crying, or getting revenge for what happened. Against who? The stupid bugs, or something.

"Don't be sad, we can save this." A voice spoke from beside him, and he turned in shock to see who it was.

"I can save this."

It was Yixing standing beside him. Also wearing nothing but his underwear that are for some reason stained with ink. But he spoke confidently, and had a bright smile across his lips, so Kyungsoo nodded to him in approval.

He is a Life Carrier after all.

Yixing then decsended down the hill and walked the sandy paths between the fields to stand at the center.

"No, don't let him do it." Another voice came from Kyungsoo's other side. Turning to it, he found Baekhyun. His underwear clean, but his whole body was covered in stains of ink. He looked worried.

"Tell him to stop! If he brings it all back he--- He will fall instead!"

Baekhyun grabbed onto Kyungsoo's shoulder and shook him roughly, with urgency, with high pressure and fear.

Kyungsoo nodded, and turned to face Yixing at the center of the fields once more, he inhaled to speak, but before he managed to make a sound Yixing's body started glowing in lime yellow, just like his eyes.

Out from the ground in the entirety of the field grew mystical lime green branch-like tentacles, and everything those tentacles touched, came back to life. Into full bloom. It was a beautiful sight, but Kyungsoo couldn't see it as such because Baekhyun's sobs beside him made his heart ache.

"Remember Kyungsoo, It's a life for a life."

Yixing spoke from the field, his voice didn't come from his mouth though, it came as an echo carried out from the air itself. The fields were glowing brightly in the Life Carrier's lime green. Then brighter, and brighter, until Kyungsoo couldn't see anything at all. 

No... Yixing can't die. He can't just vanish. Why would he sacrifice his life for the sake of the islanders' crops and flowers?

Would... Kyungsoo have done the same?

The next time Kyungsoo opened his eyes, he had the view of the metalic woven net above him. The build that's holding the uppet mattress of the bunk bed in his ship's chamber.

He couldn't think about anything, only feel the fear of having Yixing devote himself to a goal as the one in his dream. Because he knows Yixing is the type to do so.

When was the last time Kyungsoo slept well?

He rubbed his face and in quick effort stood up from his bed, entering the second sleeping chamber on the ship just to make sure Yixing was still there. And indeed, he was. Sleeping peacefully in the lower bed, Baekhyun above him on the top one. The two of them have spent the majority of their time on this island together. Wherever Yixing goes, Baekhyun follows to keep him grounded.

Kyungsoo was thankful to Baekhyun for that.

 

 

Maybe what confused him the most about the dream wasn't Yixing choosing to sacrifice himself... But the fact that Kyungsoo felt the immense pain of loss from the dead fields. And that he couldn't do anything useful even if he wanted to sacrifice himself for the cause of saving them again.

Either way, at this point there was no denying that Kyungsoo's heart, and his crew's spirits have changed.

Something made their hearts grow on this island.

They've been here for mere three weeks, and in those days so much about them was already different.

The first and easiest thing to spot about the changes they've been through, was the color of their skin.

Living in the empire their whole lives means they've spent that entire time like moles under the ground, hidden from the sun or any natural light of any kind. Electricity had provided them with light to see, Life with food to eat, and Water to not dehydrate. 

Walking all day under the sun, breathing in fresh air, feeling the heat, the sand, the raw elements of the island on their skin, their bodies have developed to fit into those. Even if just a little. 

And instead of looking like deathly pale ghosts, their faces were flashing with the subtle golden glow. It wasn't at the same level of beauty like the locals of course, but it's something they'd achieve a little bit at a time.

The second immediate change all of them have gone through was that now, even Jongdae and Kyungsoo no longer feel the need to wear their hot and heavy military uniforms. Let alone the heavy boots.

Kyungsoo, the day after the ceremony of the Fire Dragon Passing, took a courageous leap and followed Minseok's advice at letting his boots go.

He hasn't regretted it at all. The sensation of the soft sand rubbing and brushing against his feet, just how light and easy it was to walk on top of the gentle pillow like surface, the pleasant heat emitting from it due to being under the direct sun at all times... Kyungsoo loved it. And Jongdae did, too.

Chanyeol had provided each of the crew members with proper local new outfits that make them blend in with the islanders rather than stand out like a sore thumb in the heat. And Kyungsoo never felt this free in his life.

Not even a single piece of cloth was pressing against his body uncomfortably. The outfit was so light, that just like in this night's dream, it almost felt like he was walking around with underwear only.

The cotton grown on this island must be very different from the type grown in the empire islands. The fabrics are so soft against the skin. He'd go as far as to say it felt like silk. Although he doesn't quite know what silk feels like, since only the emperor is allowed to wear it back home.

 

 

"Everyone," Kyungsoo spoke up. The few crew members on the ship, who were still lazily eating the very last breakfast they have in supply, turned to look at him.

"This meal will be our last on the ship. We've run out of food and water supplies. Which means we will have to earn our meals on the island."

Kyungsoo explained, not speaking in the very formal and strict manner that a commander would normally use.

"And along with that, I would like to absolve you all from the order I've given in the past. You are now allowed full freedom on the island, and no longer required to sleep on this ship." He said, feeling relief spreading through his body when he saw the faces of his friends light up at the news.

"If any information is to come, I'd find a way to get it across to all of you... Also, please tell that to Junmyeon and Sehun."

He sighed lightly, but pleasantly listened to the excited conversations his friends were having about finally being able to try the local food they've been smelling every evening before heading back to the ship's boring empire rations.

Kyungsoo still remembers how when they first arrived, the crew and him didn't dare letting go of their weapons for several days. Let alone change a single detail about the way they wore their uniforms.

Now all seven of them aren't wearing a single empire given item any more. Well, all except underwear, maybe.

He remembers how cold and cautious he was towards the islanders when they first landed and he kept them under guard at the center of the village like some hard to be slaughtered. And he still wonders why, despite that, they have given him a second chance to redeem himself in their eyes.

He remembers the funeral. 

He will always remember the funeral. 

And he will never be free from the guilt that's haunting him every single night in his dreams.

 

 

After the night of the Fire Dragon Passing ceremony, they were all different. Kyungsoo didn't feel the need to be so defensive anymore. His worries about the island turned into curiousity. He hasn't taken an active part in the island's activities yet, unlike the rest of his crew, but now after he uplifted the previous commands he has given, everyone were allowed full freedom to experience the island in their own way.

Even Jongdae, who would previous show signs of displeasure at such a choice, was more than glad about it when he realized the options available to him now.

Kyungsoo too, was glad about having some more mental space to absorb and consume everything in his surroundings, as opposed to constantly trying to hold a captain's facade.

Chanyeol and him have met each other every single day during their stay on the island. Until the festival of the dragon, it seemed to have been a chore given to Chanyeol by the council. But after that night, it felt like he was looking forward to their meetings.

In this last week, none of the crew members joined Kyungsoo any more. So the hours of his day were spent with Chanyeol alone. And Kyungsoo made the extra effort to be more aware of his actions and reactions. After seeing the disappointment on Chanyeol's face when he was cold and distant, Kyungsoo felt like it'd only benefit the both of them if he'd try harder to not ruin the atmosphere.

He made sure he didn't furrow his brows in order to look serious, and was glad when Chanyeol mentioned he doesn't seem so grumpy anymore. He made sure to pay more attention to what Chanyeol is saying and doing.

He provided more reactions to his words, and asked questions about anything that caught his interest. Wether it be a word or term he didn't understand, or something somebody was doing in his surroundings.

Today, however, with their ship's supplies emptied out, Kyungsoo knew things will change once again. He would no longer be a passive observer of the island, but rather have to participate in the work in order to be worthy of receiving the same treatment as the islanders.

After a week of day light hours spent with Chanyeol alone, he wasn't scared of that change at all. In fact, he felt anticipation building inside him, knowing that now he'll get to experience the life on the island from up close.

The first week, they were too uptight to change anything, only Sehun and Yixing were brave enough to submit to the new land. The second week, Kyungsoo had given his crew a little more freedom, which proved to be a good choice when the Fire Dragon Passing took place, allowing everyone to open their minds and learn more.

On the third week everyone had already received their local clothes and roamed free during the day. And now, the beginning of the fourth week on the island, marks the moment they are allowed to forget that they're from the empire at all. Nothing is holding them back anymore. At least until any order comes from Seungsoo.

 

 

"There are still some places you haven't seen yet, right?"

Chanyeol asked when the two of them were sitting on one of the sand rock stairs at the center of the village. It was around midday, and the sun just took a shift towards the second half of its daily journey through the sky. Kyungsoo nodded while staring at the path beside the classroom-like house they've been to before.

"Well, you can't possibly start working without seeing everything first, so I'll show you!" He smiled, and Kyungsoo's attention turned to him immediately. He didn't understand why seeing Chanyeol smile made him feel so happy.

It felt as if every time Chanyeol smiled, a flower had grown and bloomed inside of him. Which Kyungsoo certainly wasn't complaining about.

The two stood up and began making their way to the entrance of the tower once more. If they'd go up the spiral stairs, they'd reach the Council of Radiance's room. But instead of climbing up, Chanyeol glanced back at Kyungsoo for a moment, before going down.

Finally, Kyungsoo will get to see what's located underneath the tallest building on the island.

The further they descended, the darker it got, but Chanyeol naturally clicked his fingers, and three little fire balls began floating above them. One above Kyungsoo's head, one above Chanyeol's, and one in front of them to provide more light while going downwards.

"This is very useful." Kyungsoo stated, impressed by yet another use for the fire. "On our island nobody can do this. So we built special metal and glass objects into the walls that light up with a different power." He then explained, seeing Chanyeol's face from the side only, but he could tell he was listening.

He just hoped he was able to give Chanyeol a description he could understand. Because how else is he supposed to explain that on the empire's island, all indoor light can exist thanks to the dedicated Electro Carriers who spend their time to create engines and power machines which only they can power.

Thinking about it that way... It sounds pretty awful. Like the Electro Carriers are being used... which, is probably exactly the situation. Ugh. Kyungsoo doesn't want to think about it.

Eventually the two made it down to the bottom of the stairs, where they were met with a heavy wooden door, and an adult Wonder Souls standing beside it. Next to her, a torch was attached to the wall.

"Hey, Sunyoung, I'm here to show him around."

Chanyeol called out to the guard with a smile, and her stern expression of suspicion immediately shifted to a gentle smile of her own. She was shorter than both Chanyeol and Kyungsoo, but looked much more capable of guarding something than them.

"Alright. Just don't make too much noise." She nodded, then approached the door and lifted the wooden plank keeping it shut.

Chanyeol nodded to her in gratitude, then carefully opened the door only half way, leaving it open as they entered the next area.

This...'room' looked like a hand carved cave out of hard sand. The floor, walls, and ceiling were all asymetric and not smoothly chafed like the rest of the structures on the island. It looked more like a long corridor. With a tall solid yet not perfectly straight wall on the left, and weirdly shaped wall on the right.

At equal distances were torches similar to the one next to guard Sunyoung attached to the left wall.

As the two began walking by through the corridor, Kyungsoo realized the reason the wall on the right was shaped so weirdly. It had small carved rooms behind it, with thick wooden bars separating those nooks from the main corridor.

To Kyungsoo, it looked like a hand crafted, natural version of the empire's military prison. The nooks were like cells with those bars, although all of them were empty.

"This is our Jail. Or 'Bad Ward'." Chanyeol explained, his voice echoing lightly, bouncing off from the walls. "When somebody chooses to make a bad action, they are brought here as punishment in order to reflect on their choice."

Kyungsoo nodded, following Chanyeol's large steps with his own, less large ones. Until Chanyeol stopped ahead of a cell that seems to be lit a little brighter than the dark and empty ones.

"And... Here is the cell of Bok TaeSeok."

Chanyeol's voice was almost as quiet as a whisper and his whole body gave off the the impression that he felt very uncomfortable being in this location.

"He's been here from before I was born."

"What did he do?" Kyungsoo asked quietly, stepping a little to the side to grab a glance at the prisoner.

It was an old man with long greasy salt and pepper hair, along with a long messy beard. He was sitting at the center of his cell, facing to the side and doing strange movements with his fingers. Oh... A Lightless.

Chanyeol took a step back and exhaled, then turned to begin walking back to the exit. Kyungsoo almost felt nervous of being here from how much discomfort Chanyeol was radiating after seeing that man.

"He did terrible things to a Wonder Soul child many years ago."

Kyungsoo didn't need to hear anything more. From just how painful it looked for Chanyeol to say, Kyungsoo understood that whatever has been done, truly is terrible, and that some things are better left in a cell under the ground. Just like that man.

Once the two of them crossed back to the other side of the large door, and Sunyoung placed back the heavy looking plank to lock the door, Chanyeol exhaled in relief. He's so deeply bothered by simply thinking of such things... He's so pure hearted.

How can Chanyeol even be friends with Kyungsoo at all after the terrible things he has done to the people of this island? All the lives he took?

"Normally the people who are sent to this jail are released when the moon is full, or when it rains. No matter how long they spent here. But it never really happens. I've never seen anyone get sent down here in my life!" Chanyeol stated with a small proud smile. Pride in his people.

The two waved goodbye to Sunyoung before Chanyeol popped out the three little flames to float above them as they ascended up the stairs and back to the surface. The sun is incredibly bright and hot after spending some time in the cooler temperature under ground with only dim lights.

 

 

The day had passed awfully quickly, and Kyungsoo wasn't able to find the right chance to ask about food or bedding for the day. Chanyeol and him parted ways for the night after Chanyeol had brought a bucket of well water to the surface. 

It was cold and refreshing. The flavor of the water was almost sweet on Kyungsoo's tongue.

But after seeing Chanyeol this upset over the man in jail, he didn't have the guts to ask about anything else. So he returned to the ship with the sunset, finding Minseok and Jongdae hanging out there as well.

They compared their activities for the day, where Kyungsoo heard about how both of them got to learn how to collect crops from the fields. Which also provided them with a delicious fruitful dinner.

Chanyeol has been treating him with nothing but kindness. And Kyungsoo couldn't have been more thankful about that. He turned over in his bed. But he simply cannot understand why. 

If the people of the village are not aware of the real reason Kyungsoo and the fleet were sent over here... And still suffered large losses because of the attack, how could they just forgive the crew so easily? 

What exactly did Junmyeon tell them to prepare them for something as terrible as what Kyungsoo had done? And even if they had a good reason to do it in the first place, how could they just gloss over all the pain it had caused?

Kyungsoo buried himself in his bed with his heavy burden of guilt and regret. There's only a little hope in him that maybe the good times he is having on the island are something he... Maybe actually does deserve.

It just feels awful to connect to the people of the island... To Chanyeol... While everything is built on a lie.

Eventually he will have to take care of that. Expose the truth and continue his mission. But at this point... Would he really listen to any command coming from his brother anymore?

He is very new to the whole, freedom, thing. But he's starting to understand it. And he isn't sure he'd be willing to let it go.