BRAND NEW GIRL, who dis?

Baggage

                Today was the last preseason practice before school started. Tzuyu leaned on her stick as she stared up at the bleachers for the nth time today. The cheerleaders were goofing around before their coach showed up. One cheerleader in particular caught her attention as she sat herself on the Australian girl’s lap and had her arm around the girl. She didn’t yet know her name, but what she did know was that she was Japanese and beautiful. She must have told a joke because everyone laughed suddenly – and the Aussie stared up at her with sparking eyes and a beautifully white smile.

 

                Tzuyu spit her bright blue mouth guard into her hand and studied it in disgust. Maybe if she didn’t have to wear it all the time, she could smile up at the Japanese beauty like that too… wait—no I didn’t mean think that—I’m supposed to be thinking of field hockey, I need to—

 

                “Heads up T-Star!” Yuna called and Tzuyu ducked just in time for a ball to fly right where her head had been a second ago.

 

                All of the cheerleaders looked at her with wide eyes in shock. Her face flushed bright red as she begrudgingly put guard back in… she couldn’t have perfect teeth if she didn’t have any. She jogged back over to the team that was being scolded by their captain, Jihyo, for not watching where they were hitting.

 

                Jihyo had smacked Yuna on the back of the head for being so careless.

 

                “We were all passing around to warm up!” Yuna defended, “How was I supposed to know she wasn’t paying attention?”

 

                “She was literally looking at the cheerleaders, how did you think she was paying attention,” Hyunjin teased.

 

                “Guess you missed that lesson when you skipped a grade,” Ryujin chimed in receiving a high five from Hyunjin. Yuna shoved her out of the circle in retaliation, and Haseul had to step in between the two before they broke into a shoving battle.

 

                “I—I’m sorry, she’s right, it was my fault,” Tzuyu apologized. Her head just wasn’t in the game today.

 

                “You were looking at the Cheerleaders?” Jihyo asked, suddenly serious, “Why, did they say something to you?”

 

                “N—no, I was just—I’m fully focused now,” She said attempting to change the subject with determination.

 

                Jihyo narrowed her eyes at Tzuyu before dismissing the team back to warming up, “Tzuyu, wait a second, will you?”

 

                Tzuyu stopped and turned to Jihyo curiously.

 

                “We’ve had incidents with the cheerleaders in the past. If one of them says anything… just let me know. Especially Minatozaki Sana… just—stay away from her, ok?” Jihyo warned. Minatozaki Sana. That name sounded Japanese… did she mean--

 

                “Alright, gang, circle up!” Coach Moon called, causing Jihyo to instantly leave her side and preventing her from questioning her advice.

 

                She looked up one last time at the cheerleaders who were now being addressed by their coach – a petite woman with long dark hair – and their captain, an intimidating looking girl with bunny teeth. She noticed the Japanese girl—Sana had moved a reasonable distance off the Aussie and onto the bleachers, before Tzuyu turned away to jog with the rest of the team to their coach.

 

                If Jihyo’s plan had been to get Tzuyu more focused, it seemed to have backfired. The whole practice she couldn’t help but think about what she had meant when she told her to stay away from Sana. What could she have done to warrant that sort of warning?

   

                 ~

            

                Sana returned to her and Momo’s apartment after a long day of cheer practice and pretending to care about field hockey. She had her cheer bag strapped over her shoulder as she tapped quickly in the rapidly ringing cheer group chat—needless to say she wasn’t paying attention to where she was going until she nearly tripped over someone.

 

                That someone yelped in surprise.

 

                “Oh, Mina, what are you doing outside?” Sana asked, upon finally looking up to see who had made that noise.

 

                They lived in an apartment complex not far from campus called “Okaeri” which means “Welcome Home” in Japanese. It was known to be a place where a lot of the foreign students because it was owned by a Japanese couple who were very cooperative with students who weren’t confident in their Korean yet. It also offered decent housing, so they usually ended up staying even after their first year.

 

                “I forgot my key, and my roommate isn’t answering her phone…” Mina answered glumly.

 

                “Want me to text the landlord? He’s really reasonable, he would probably make you another key,” Sana explained.

 

                “N--no! I don't want to trouble him after business hours,” Mina sighed in defeat, “Tomorrow is the first day of school and I’m already starting it off on the wrong foot,”

 

                “Hey, don’t think like that,” Sana comforted, “Why don’t you come stay in my room tonight. I’ll take Momo’s bed, she’s out late tonight,”

 

                “Oh no, I don’t want to impose,” Mina said uneasily waving her hands frantically.

 

                “It wouldn’t be imposing at all. We promised we’d look out for each other, Mina,” Sana said extending a hand to help Mina up, and then dragging her to her own apartment.

 

                As soon as Mina entered the apartment, she felt self-conscious. Mina’s apartment was a bit of a mess right now because she and Sakura were still unpacking from their summers in Japan, but Sana and Momo’s was spotless as if they hadn’t gone anywhere… or conversely, hadn’t returned from wherever they’d been.

 

                Sana tossed her apartment keys on the sparkling counter and turned to Mina. She was about to inform her which room was hers when Mina started talking.

 

                “I—I’ll just take the couch then. You don’t have to give up your bed for me,” Mina stuttered, their couch did look super nice… and that Sherpa throw was really calling her name.

 

                Sana let out a giggle “Nonsense, I sleep with Momo most nights anyway—she’s probably expecting me to be sleeping there by the time she gets back anyway,” Sana said, waving off Mina’s offer, “My room is on the left… it’s purple in case you at directions like Momo,” she smiled before adding, “Oh, and PJ’s are in the 2nd drawer… if you want to get comfy,”

 

                Mina shook her head at Sana’s attempt at humor before disappearing into Sana’s room. Sana hadn’t been lying: the room was very purple. She felt kind of weird borrowing her clothes, but she didn’t exactly want to sleep in jeans. She eyed Sana’s dresser hesitantly… there were two drawers which she would consider the 2nd drawer, but Mina didn’t want to go back out and ask her now.

 

                “Mitang, it’s the 2nd on the right,” Sana called through the door as if she could read Mina’s mind.

 

                Mina opened the drawer and it practically exploded with Sana’s extensive lacy lingerie collection. She let out an audible gasp in surprise.

 

                “Other right,” Sana chuckled, “Damn, you and Momo do have that in common after all,”

 

                Mina blushed, even though she knew Sana couldn’t see her through the closed door, she still felt embarrassed. She opened the correct drawer and quickly grabbed the first pair. She changed and got into bed, just hoping the night would go by quickly so that she could go back to her own apartment and hide.

 

                 ~

 

                Momo had spent another late night at the dance room on campus. She was exhausted and sweaty, and she wanted nothing more than to go home, take a shower, eat her leftover jokbal, and go to sleep. Sana would have probably already sleepwalked her way into Momo’s bed and she’d have to manoeuvre around her, but she was used to this by now.

 

                She heard a clatter and she wasn’t sure why, but her instincts told her to hide behind the nearest wall.

 

                “, Yang Yang, be careful!” a girl hissed from the shadows.

 

                The boy looked around before reassuring her, “No one is here, we’re ok,”

 

                The girl extended her hand from the shadows to hand the boy a brown paper bag. Her leather jacket rode up just slightly enough to reveal the prominent inking of a tattoo, which Momo thought was pretty on brand with her idea of what a drug dealer might look like.

 

                He looked in the bag to make sure it all was there before closing it back quickly.

 

                She scoffed, “I’ve got some more green in my car if you think that’s not enough,”

 

                “N—no this should be enough,” He laughed weakly, “Can I try some right now before I buy it?”

 

                “Are you stupid? You can’t try it here, we’re on school grounds! You would immediately get arrested, and I’m not going down with you,” She scolded.

 

                “Yeah—right,” he agreed hesitantly.

 

                “You’re the one who wanted to meet here,” She reminded impatiently.

 

                “I know, I know,” He grumbled, surveying the contents of the bag again.

 

                “You know me Yang Yang, I don’t with anything less than the best. It’s good —expensive , so pay up if you want it,”

 

                “Aish, of course—always straight to the point,” he griped, patting around his pants for his wallet before finally retrieving a couple bills and passing them off to her.

 

                Before he could walk away, she pulled him back in close by his collar, “Don’t be stupid, don’t get caught—” she warned.

 

                “—Yeah, yeah, and if I do, I don’t know you… I know,” He said before she let him go and he departed in silence.

 

                What the , what the , what the , Momo thought as she doubled back and went out of her way to avoid the area to get to Okaeri. I can’t believe I just witnessed a drug deal what the actual ?

 

                 ~

 

                Jeongyeon snapped her bubble gum as she waited, leaning against her car, “Did you finish what you needed to do?” she asked when a figure started to approach her.

 

                “What’s done is done,” Nayeon responded, smiling devilishly.

 

                Jeongyeon shifted up from the car and pulled Nayeon in for a quick peck on the lips.

 

                Nayeon wanted to deepen the kiss, but instead found Jeongyeon’s gum, “Ew, spit that out Jeong,” she complained.

 

                Jeongyeon chuckled mischievously, “And what if I don’t?” she asked tauntingly.

 

                “Then I’ll take it and spit it out for you,” Nayeon countered, stepping forward and backing Jeongyeon up against the car again.

 

                Jeongyeon bit her lip suggestively and Nayeon took that as her invitation, crashing their lips together.

 

                After a moment Nayeon broke away and Jeongyeon shook her head in disbelief, “You won this time, Im,”

 

                Nayeon spit the gum on the ground before reaching around Jeongyeon to open the passenger door, “I always win, Yoo,” then she winked at Jeongyeon and got in the car.

 

                Jeongyeon walked around the car to get in the driver seat and they departed campus.

 

                 ~

 

                When Momo retuned home she reheated the jokbal and hopped in the shower mechanically, her mind hadn’t stopped racing about what she’d encountered earlier. Part of her hoped Sana was still up so she could tell her about it. After she was clean, she ate her dinner, and got ready for bed.

 

                Surprisingly, her bed was empty. Sana must have a friend over, Momo mused impressed. School hasn’t even started, and Sana is already jumping right back into her old ways. She chuckled at her best friend’s antics before turning off the lights and going to sleep.

 

                She woke up at 7am to a startled cry from the next room over. She jumped out of bed, grabbing the nearest makeshift weapon and ran to Sana’s door just in time to seen Mina scamper out of it and out of the apartment.

 

                Sana followed lazily, scratching her head and yawning tiredly.

 

                “Was that—what just happened?” Momo asked, lowering her weapon, which was a totally non-threatening Hello Kitty umbrella.

 

                “I sleepwalked again,” Sana said shrugging noncommittally.

 

                “Yeah well you always sleepwalk,” Momo countered.

 

                “Mina didn’t know,” Sana said, smirking slightly before walking past Momo into the kitchen to start making coffee.

 

                “Sana…” Momo whined, “What did we say about sleeping with our children… especially her,”

 

                She didn’t mean children children. In fact, Sana and Momo weren’t even a couple. They just tended to adopt all of the younger Japanese students under their wings. Sana and Momo were both fairly well known and thus had a lot of power at school. Everyone knew not to mess with the new Japanese students because they’d have to deal with Sana and Momo.

 

                Mina on the other hand wasn’t just any Japanese student. She had a very prominent family, in fact, they were so well off, they were rumored to have ties with the Yakuza. She moved to Korea in order to escape their reputation and live a normal life. Mina thought she was flying under the radar for the most part, but Sana and Momo knew about her family and past. They had taken it upon themselves to take extra good care of her… and definitely not just because they were terrified of the possible alternative.

 

                “Not to… I know babe, don’t worry it wasn’t intentional!” Sana exclaimed, not looking up from her task at hand.

 

                “It wasn’t intentional, I just fell into bed with her,” Momo mocked humorlessly.

 

                “In my defense, I started the night in your bed. When I start in your bed I usually end up on the couch,” Sana defended.

 

                “Not when there’s someone else around!” Momo exclaimed, “You know no one is safe from your sleep-cuddles, Sana, you should have at least warned her,”

 

                “Ok, but none of this would have happened if you’d just come home early and got in bed with me,” Sana countered.

 

                “This is not my fault,” Momo retorted, “Now you need to go explain yourself to Mina before she calls the Yakuza on us,”

 

                Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

 

                “Oh my God they’re already here, where’s my umbrella?” Momo said looking around for where she’d discarded it.

 

                Sana rolled her eyes and opened the door to invite Rosé in, “Ready to go?” Rosé asked brightly as she crossed the threshold.

 

                Rosé lived down the hall, opposite Mina. She was a transfer student from Australia, and about as foreign as they come.

 

                “One sec let me get dressed… we had an incident this morning I still need to take care of,” Sana said before disappearing back in her room.

 

                “'s sake, Sana. We haven't even started the first day of school and she’s already having… incidents,” Rosé joked, doing air quotes around incidents, "Nice brolly," she said eyeing Momo's umbrella curiously..

 

                Momo lowered her umbrella and sighed, it was going to be a long school year.

 

                Sana reappeared quickly, dragging Rosé towards the door.

 

                “Last chance Momo, you sure you don’t want to ride with us?” Rosé asked, twirling her car keys.

 

                “Absolutely,” Momo answered quickly, “I don’t know who trusted you with keys, because everyone knows lesbians can’t drive,”

 

                Rosé laughed sing-songily before Sana pulled her out of the door. She was distractedly typing an apology on her phone to Mina and almost didn’t see the stairs ahead of her. Rosé halted her just in time.

 

                After hitting send, she looked up at Rosé questioningly. Rosé sighed, shaking her head, “What would you do without me?”

 

                “Probably walk to school? With Momo?” Sana replied teasingly.

 

                “Can’t walk very well with broken legs, you drongo,” Rosé mumbled rolling her eyes.

 

                 ~

 

                Mina clicked her phone off with a sigh, of course that was Sana’s apology… a non-apology. She guessed it was a little reassuring to know that Sana actually recognized that she was in the wrong this time though.

 

                “Gooooood morning Mi-etnam!” a voice bellowed in front of her startling her from her thoughts.

 

                She looked up to see Dahyun beaming at her excitedly, “New school year already, can you believe? How was Japan?” she asked.

 

                Mina smiled warmly at the girl, “I know, and I’m excited to be back,” she said.

 

                “That bad?” Dahyun asked, reading through Mina’s smile.

 

                Mina’s smile faltered, “Every time I go home its like… its like this huge deal—I don’t know, I’m being dramatic. My parents just miss me that’s all,”

 

                “Why don’t they ever visit you here?” Dahyun asked.

 

                “T—they can’t,” Mina answered quickly, and Dahyun decided it was probably better not to question it.

 

                “Who are you waiting for?” the younger asked, changing the subject.

 

                “A new girl, a sophomore transfer from Taiwan, her name is… difficult,” Mina said, deciding not risk the pronunciation and have Dahyun clown her forever for it when she inevitably screwed it up, “They asked me to mentor her because I was a transfer last year and they thought I could relate to her,”

 

                “Ooh, so she’s my age, can I meet her? I love making new friends,” Dahyun asked perking up.

 

                “Let me at least meet her first before I overwhelm her with meeting anyone else. Besides, she may not be looking to make friends,” Mina replied.

 

                Dahyun pouted, “Ok, fine, but if you plan on inviting her to lunch with us, she’ll have to meet me eventually,” then she headed off to the library. Dahyun was fortunate enough not to have any morning classes scheduled this semester, but for some reason she still insisted on showing up to campus bright and early.

 

                “Meow-y Mina,” a voice that could belong to none other than Son Chaeyoung called.

 

                Mina turned her head towards the girl who was passing by on her way to class. She was remarkably already covered in paint stains at this hour of the morning. The girl saluted her with a smile and Mina blushed before looking down at her feet again.

 

                The art major and she had been in the same architecture elective class last semester and for their final they’d been paired up to design a building for a made-up company. They’d decided to design a cat café and Chaeyoung hadn’t let her live it down since. 

 

                She was Mina’s first crush since moving to Korea… that was until she ran into her leaving her neighbor's apartment one morning and all but gave up on her.

 

                 ~

 

                “Hey,” a girl’s voice said suddenly appearing behind her, “Are you Mina?”

 

                “Y—yes,” Mina said whirling around quickly, surprised that someone had been able to sneak up on her, and looked up at the beautiful girl that towered over her, “Are you—”

 

                “Tzuyu,” She responded, the faintest upturn of a smirk briefly grazing her face, “I’ll save you the embarrassment of trying to pronounce it,”

 

                Mina smiled back gratefully, she definitely would have embarrassed herself if she hadn’t saved her, “Alright then, shall we?” Mina said gesturing for Tzuyu to follow her.

 

                Tzuyu scratched the back of her head, hesitating before following Mina, “I—I’ve pretty much seen most of campus already,” she said, “I’m on the field hockey team, so I’ve been here pretty much every day for pre-seasons,”

 

                “Oh… so you already know your way around?” Mina hoped her voice didn’t betray her disappointment.

 

                “Kind of…” Tzuyu admitted.

 

                Mina’s face fell, well this is awkward… what do I do now?

 

                “But I don’t really have any friends yet… so I could use some help with that,” Tzuyu replied, searching Mina’s face for her reaction.

 

                Mina’s face instantly lit up, “I can do that! Actually, let’s go to the library, I can introduce you to my friend too,”

 

                Tzuyu’s face shifted into a soft smile as she let Mina lead her to the library.

 

                 ~

 

                “Mina, Mina, wait up!” Momo called, barreling through the aisle of books after the girl.

 

                Mina had stopped and turned around, shooting the model-esque girl with her, mortified glances.

 

                “SHH!” the librarian called, shooting Momo a dirty look.

 

                Momo bowed apologetically at the woman before continuing towards her target.

 

                “Your friend?” the youngest girl asked Mina, raising an eyebrow.

 

                “Hardly,” Mina mumbled, before sighing, “It’s a long story, though,”

 

                Momo skidded to a halt in front of the pair and flashed them her signature good-natured, lopsided smile, “Hirai Momo,” she said after a beat, extending her hand out to the unfamiliar girl.

 

                “Chou Tzuyu,” The tall girl nodded in greeting without accepting the offered hand.

 

                “Ooh, exotic, transfer student?” Momo asked.

 

                “Aren’t you going to be late for class Momo?” Mina replied before Tzuyu had a chance to respond.

 

                “Probably… but I wanted to—needed to formally apologize on behalf of Sana—someone had to,” She explained, “You know how she is…”

 

                There was that name again, Tzuyu thought.

 

                “She texted me, but it was… well it was a Sana apology,” Mina said shrugging and handing Momo her phone to see.

 

[07:25] M. Sana: I’m sorry you had to wake up to that… sometimes I sleep with people. Should’ve warned you.

 

                “Yeah no ,” Momo grumbled in response to her best friend’s text, before handing the phone back, “Listen, I feel partially responsible because if I was there none of this would have happened. So, on behalf of myself I would also like to formally apologize,”

 

                “Uhm thanks I guess… just don’t let it happen again? Or—wait I just won’t fall for the whole ‘you can have my bed’ trick again,”

 

                “Or maybe don’t forget your keys,” Momo said winking at the younger girl.

 

                “That’s—I—yeah you’re probably right,” Mina answered.

 

                “Ok, well I’ve got to run to class now, Chou Tzuyu, it was so nice to meet you. Mina I’ll probably see you later—Oh and tryouts are tomorrow if you’re interested, I’ll make it worth your while!” Momo called before literally running out of the library.

 

                Tzuyu turned back to Mina with a sly grin on her face, “Why is that upperclassmen kissing your like that?”

 

                “I—I have no idea… but her best friend is kind of an idiot, so they balance out… sort of,” Mina explained as they kept walking to Dahyun’s table.

 

                “Yeah, who is Sana?” Tzuyu asked.

 

                “Momo’s friend,” Mina answered, rolling her eyes as if the mere mention of the girl was annoying.

 

                “What did she—” Tzuyu started to say.

 

                “You don’t want to know her,” Mina said with an air of finality before placing her books down next to a small blonde girl that was hunched over an overly large textbook. She was so focused on her reading that she hadn’t noticed them arrive and was startled by the gesture.

 

                “Oh, hey Min—holy ,” Dahyun said as her eyes landed on Tzuyu, “Wo ai ni,”

 

                Mina smacked Dahyun, “Close your mouth,” she huffed annoyedly.

 

                Tzuyu let out a small chuckle at the blonde’s behavior and choice introductory greeting.

 

                “Tzuyu, this is my… best friend, Dahyun,” Mina said slowly unsure whether she wanted to claim Dahyun anymore after how she’d reacted.

 

                “Hi, Kim Dahyun!” She said, standing quickly to bow in greeting.

 

                Mina’s face flushed at how extra Dahyun was being, “Let’s all just sit please,” she said gesturing to their table.

 

                “Are all your friends this… energetic?” Tzuyu asked teasingly.

 

                “I—uh well, I don’t have a t—ton of—” Mina started to nervously stutter out.

 

                “Mina, tell her about Games Club!” Dahyun hissed before Mina could totally discredit them.

 

                Mina rubbed the back of her neck, “It’s—well its nothing really, but I started this club called Games Club—and it’s actually super lame so you don’t have to join, but I told the Dean that Chess club was too exclusive so I suggested Games Club instead and—well you can still play chess if you want to—” Mina was rambling off now, Dahyun had to save her or she’d never get to the point.

 

                “Really it’s an excuse to use school funding to play video games,” Dahyun finished.

 

                “Yeah, that’s what I was getting to,” Mina seconded.

 

                Tzuyu kept looking between the two as if she was trying to read them, then she looked at Mina with a small smile on her face, “That sounds really cool actually, can I join?”

 

                “Oh my God, of course!” Mina said, her eyes widening in surprise, “I’ll get you a form,” she started rifling through her backpack and pulled out a form for Tzuyu.

 

                Tzuyu looked over the form quickly, “It says meetings are at 4pm on certain days… but I usually have field hockey practice during that time,” she said evenly.

 

                “W—well you don’t have to sign now. Think about it?” Mina asked.

 

                “Ok,” Tzuyu replied simply, slipping the form into her own backpack.

 

                 ~

 

                Yeri slammed her hand on Chaeyoung’s desk startling the girl awake.

 

                “Jesus, someone forgot their morning coffee,” Yeri teased smiling wickedly from her seat in front of Chaeyoung.

 

                “And that’s the tragic part, I’m already three cups in,” Chaeyoung groaned, rubbing her bleary eyes.

 

                “Rough night or… rough night?” Yeri asked winking at her innuendo.

 

                “ all the way off,” Chaeyoung said, rolling her eyes.

 

                “Have you talked to her since you’ve been back?” Yeri asked, switching to a serious tone suddenly.

 

                “Who?” Chaeyoung asked uninterestedly.

 

                “You know who,” Yeri pressed impatiently.

 

                “No,” Chaeyoung grunted stubbornly, “Out of sight, out of mind,”

 

                “Hello, hello, hello!” Sana sang all-too-cheerily for this early morning class, as she entered the room trailed by Rosé.

 

                Yeri snorted at the irony before turning around in her desk to face the front of the room.

 

                Chaeyoung groaned silently before banging her head on her desk a little too loudly.

 

                “That sounded like it hurt,” Sana said as she slid into the seat next to Chaeyoung, and Rosé sat silently on her other side, “Wow, what are the odds? I’m seated between my two favourite Chaeyoungs. This is going to be a fun semester,”

 

                Chaeyoung ignored her, turning her head the opposite direction and tucking her arms under her head so she could nap more comfortably.

 

                The rest of the class slowly started to flow in, and just before class started Momo walked in, slightly sweaty from her morning run. She scanned the lecture hall before landing on Sana and making her way up to their row. Most of the seats were already taken so she slid in next to Chaeyoung instead.

 

                “Sorry I was late, I had a run in with the Yakuza this morning…” She whispered offhandedly to Chaeyoung – who honestly couldn’t care less, she just wanted to sleep in peace – before looking pointedly at Sana.

 

                When Chaeyoung didn’t respond, Momo continued, “…but I’m ok—you should see the other guy,”

 

                Chaeyoung humored her by cracking an eye and snorting a small laugh. Maybe if she acknowledged her, she’d leave her alone.

 

                This had the opposite effect however, Momo grinned triumphantly at Chaeyoung… and Chaeyoung would admit, it wasn’t a horrible sight to stay awake for.

 

                “Babe, did you really run all this way here without your backpack?” Sana asked.

 

                Momo looked down at her feet – where she undoubtably would have deposited her backpack, had she brought it with her, “Kuso,” she muttered in Japanese.

 

                She stood up and was going to attempt to sneak out to run home to get her backpack and then run back again when the professor – without turning around – commanded, “Sit,” and Momo obeyed.

 

                “Here, use mine… I’m not getting much use out of it anyway,” Chaeyoung said, toeing her own backpack over to Momo.

 

                “Thanks,” Momo said, taking the hint and pulling out a notebook. It, not unlike its owner, was covered in paint stains, but with added doodles of mostly strawberries and various other fruits and vegetables in all the margins. She could tell the girl was an art major—she was extremely talented, but before she could think to ask her about any of them, Chaeyoung was asleep.    

 

                ~

 

                When Chaeyoung finally woke up to Yeri flicking her repeatedly in the head, Momo was gone, but she’d left the notebook on her desk… still open… with “Thank You!” and a phone number written on it.

 

                Chaeyoung quickly flipped the cover closed before Yeri could see and clown her for it.

 

                “Got enough sleep yet?” The brunette asked teasingly.

 

                Chaeyoung rolled her eyes, grabbing her backpack, “C’mon, let’s go get coffee before our next class,”

 

                Yeri snorted in laughter at Chaeyoung’s answer to her question, “I’ll take that as a no,"