Epilogue - Always and Forever

I Know There's Nothing Left To Cling To (But I'm still calling out your name)

A/N, One last chapter. You guys deserve an epilogue from all your lovely comments. It looks like the one-shots won, so stay tuned to see the first one come out soon.

-------

Life was great and Jennie has to admit that the one good thing to come out of the whole flower thing was the fact that they had time off, it’s been a month since Chaeyoung had been released from the hospital, and although the girl was doing great and almost back to normal they still need to keep and observation on her lungs, they need to give them time to rest and not over do it for a couple months. It was because of this that Blackpink was on an indefinite hiatus until the doctors gave the all clear. 

After Chaeyoung woke up neither girl wanted to leave her side. When it was lunchtime or dinner time they were there to eat with the other girl. When she was bored Lisa or Jisoo usually were there to keep her entertained. When she got back home they made sure there was always at least one person at the dorm. It took sometime but eventually the girls starting easing up little by little, their hearts and minds slowly understanding that Chaeyoung was still there and she will continue to be.

Jennie loves the fact that management was able to give her time off, Chaeyoung told her she was okay, that she should get back to work, but the older girl told her that they had lost a lot of time and this was step one to getting it back. And what was that you asked? Well she booked the a vacation in a small town outside of the city, where not to many people knew them, where the air was fresh, and both Jennie and Chaeyoung could spend the days together.

She smiles when Chaeyoung snuggles into her side, a sleepy whine exiting . It’s later than they usually wake up, around ten, and Jennie tangles her fingers in blonde hair.

The sun shines through the window and makes Chaeyoung’s hair looks like a sunset. Her eyes are still closed, the brunette takes a big breath of the fresh morning breeze coming through the window, making her body relax and calm into the covers. Jennie runs her fingertips over the blonde’s shoulder and lays there for a bit.

“Jennie.” The girl whines when the brunette uses her other hand to massage her fingers through her hair.

“Good morning, baby.”

“No. Too early.”

Jennie chuckles and shakes her head but presses a kiss to Chaeyoung’s hair.

“You smell nice.” Says the younger girl snuggling closer and hiding her face on her neck.

Jennie lets her drift back to sleep after a few minutes, she then checks the clock again and they need to get going if they want to go to the farmer’s market before it closes. Mostly because they still need to have breakfast and work on Chaeyoung’s respiratory exercises. Pulmonary Therapy they called it, they are exercises meant to help gain the blonde her strength back, get her lungs back to normal. 

“Rosie, come on.” She uses her shoulder to jolt her a bit. 

“No.” She says getting off her to lay on her back. Eyes still closed. Jennie eyed the other girl with soft smile, she notices how the scar where Chaeyoung had to have emergency surgency that night peaked from under her shirt and she thanks the heavens once again for the blonde still being here.

Moments like this are her favorite where she can witness the childlike behavior Chaeyoung has in the mornings, when she can see her sleepy smile after waking her up with kisses.  The brunette rests her hand on Chaeyoung’s chest, not pressing, just letting it rise and fall with each inhale-exhale. It’s a thing she finds herself doing every morning, it’s become habit by now, if Chaeyoung has noticed she doesn’t say anything.

 Chaeyoung whines when Jennie scratches gently with her nails, but she doesn’t protest. “Come on, Chaeyoung get up.” She says getting up herself and removing the covers from the blonde’s body.

“I hate it when you do that,” she grumbles as she sits up in bed, grabbing the covers again. “Do we really have to go?”

“I’d really like to get some fresh stuff so we can have it in the house for our time here.” she said her back to the blonde as she gets the equipment they need ready for Chaeyoung’s exercises. “You don’t have to go if you don’t want to…” She says smirking already knowing how the girl is going to response.

“And be here all by myself without you. I don’t think so.” She says sitting up, on the side of the bed ready for the exercises. Jennie walks over and gives Chaeyoung a kiss on the forehead.

“I thought so.” She says. “Now exercise away.” She says giving her a small machine, where Chaeyoung had to inhale through a mouthpiece, hold, exhale and cough, this is meant to help clear the lungs from any remaining flowers.

“Therapy first, breakfast after. You know the drill, ten minutes, my love.” 

“I hate you.” Chaeyoung says rolling her eyes, taking the device from her hands.

“No, you don’t”

“No, I don’t.”

Ten minutes had passed and they could move to the next exercise which were more physical ones. “Think you can do the rest on your own?” Jennie asked after some time.

“Mhmm…”

“Alright, I’ll go take a shower and make breakfast.” 

After Chaeyoung is done she puts everything away and takes a shower, but once she’s in the bedroom getting ready she can’t help but stare at her reflection with her shirt half ed the scar on her chest showing. She traces it softly and looks around the room, they have been here for two weeks and they were traces of them everywhere, she thinks often how lucky she is to still be here, that Jennie loved her back, but at times she can’t help but wonder what if she hadn’t made it, what if she had given up? Like that trainee did. She often finds herself wondering what she did to deserve this second chance.

Jennie calls Chaeyoung for breakfast but she doesn’t receive and answer which is strange, so she makes her way to the room where she find Chaeyoung quietly staring at her reflection. “You okay?” she asks as she walks towards her. Chaeyoung bites her lip and looks down, so Jennie takes her hand and sits them on the bed. “Talk to me.”

“I almost died, Jennie.” She says quietly. “I… I was so sure that I would die, because not once did I ever considered getting the surgery and forgetting about you.” She continues, and the older girl pretends her heart doesn’t shatter at the mere thought of that. 

“Are you thinking about that trainee again?” The older girl asked, she knows about her, Chaeyoung has told her story plus she’ll be lying if this is the first time this has happened, ever since getting out of the hospital there are times where Chaeyoung gets like this, quiet, unsure and in those days Jennie makes sure to reassure her that she’s still here and that as long as Jennie was alive, not one day would pass with Chaeyoung feeling unloved.

“She didn’t make it, Jen. And I can’t help but think that there are people out there going through the same thing and just like me they could be saved if they only would believe they deserved to feel loved.” She said sometimes the weight of having gone through what she did was unbearable, it was like a trauma of some sorts.

“I know, love.” Jennie said softly. “I know it’s sad to think about it, and I cannot even begin to understand what it felt like for you, but you made it. You are still here, you are loved deeply and wholeheartedly. I don’t know if this matters or not, but you’ve seen stories of success right?” Her hand still holding the blonde’s while her other arm was placed around her waist, holding her close.

“I mean, you have Jisoo, your friend Wendy and...and Irene. And you.” She said tapping the girl softly on the nose, making her smile. “Plus I made a promise to you, love, ‘til the end of the line remember? I didn’t give you that necklace just because you know.”  She said as the young girl reached to her chest to touch the necklace, it rested right above her scar. It was simple, it was a gold chain with an infinity pendant with a message engraved ‘Always and Forever’ 

“Always and Forever.” The young girl repeated.

“‘Til the end of the line.”

-----------

Sometimes Jennie can hardly believe her life was real. Aside the obvious fact that she’s living her dreams as singer, she has the most wonderful angel by her side and it’s times like this when she feels thankful for it.

The farmer’s market smells like fresh bread from the portable ovens the bakers bring. The tomatoes shine in the sunlight. The grass shining with the light mist of the morning cool and she smiles when she feels a hand slide into hers. Just half a step behind her, Chaeyoung's arm pressed against Jennie’s. 

There’s old man Hyuk selling meat he hand-raises on his farm his wife with her homegrown produce that always looks amazing. This is a whole community of people that Jennie’s known since she was kid, when her parents used to bring her here to their cottage when she was younger. This feels like a home away from home and Jennie feels lucky she gets to share this with Chaeyoung.

She pauses at Sohyun’s booth, a young florist with kind smile. Jennie nudges Chaeyoung up to the table, she feels the hold on her hand go tighter and feels her girl getting closer to her. The sight of flowers is still something that shakes her to the core, both of them. But in one of their conversations Jennie had jokingly said she’d like to see no flowers for at least a year, to which Chaeyoung responded that she would, getting sick was her own doing in a way the flowers were not at fault, so yes to flowers but maybe no to those that mean something sad.

Jennie turns to look at her, pushing her slightly encouraging her to pick the flowers she likes, Chaeyoung’s eyes close as she leans closer to smell one of them a Chrysanthemum, joy and long life. She’s so captivating Jennie has to kiss her, sweet and soft and slow on the lips and Chaeyoung has to pull away from how hard she was smiling. 

She takes out her camera and takes a picture of the blonde, as she knows that even if Jennie will keep this memory with her, she’d like to have a picture of Chaeyoung’s brown-eyes glinting with happiness. 

Once they are done with the flowers, they find Jihyun, another young woman who sells fresh fruit. Jennie remembers accompanying her mom on Friday mornings, just like this one, and help Jihyun’s mother sell to keep her from getting bored in the house. She loves the girl as she saw her pretty often growing up and her mom did the best dumplings in town, both women even helped her with the planning of this trip. 

“Hi girls.” She greets with a smile. “How are you today?”

“Doing well, thanks for asking Jihyun. How’s Mrs. Nam? and the business?” 

“Oh, mom’s great” she says. “Can’t stop talking about you and Chae. Says she still surprised at how you managed to get such a beautiful girl.” At this Chaeyoung tries to hide her face with her head shyly, never one to take a compliment making both girls chuckle.

 “Don’t hide pretty girl.” Jennie coos on the girls ear.

“Stop.” She whines with a smile.

“Nah, you are too pretty to stop.” She says in a small whisper.

“Jen, stoooop.”

Jihyun smiles at the two of them. “Leave the girl alone, Jennie.” She says.

“Mom says you should come visit some other time. We got a new horse, pretty spirited and stubborn, just like your girl.” She says pointing to Chaeyoung. “We named her Courage.”

“That’s a beautiful name,” Jennie says as she squeezes Chaeyoung’s hand. 

“We are staying for another week maybe Thursday?” The blonde asks looking at Jennie then and Ji-hyun.

“For sure! I know mom will be happy to see you both.” She said. 

“Alright, Jihyun.” Jennie hugs the girl tightly. “We gotta keep moving, but I’ll call you next week.”  

“Take some stuff before you go. I know how much you eat girl.” She says to Chaeyoung who only blushes. She hands her a few strawberries and some oranges in a small basket. The girls once again say their goodbyes with a promise to keep in touch.

She pulls Chaeyoung and walks towards a clear space on the side of the marked and sits on the grass, leaning against a tree pulling Chaeyoung to sit between her legs. The young girl leans against her and Jennie places her arms around her waist. 

The orange makes a squishing noise as Chaeyoung breaks it open, digging her nail into the peel to break the skin open. Chaeyoung takes a piece and feeds her to Jennie then taking one for herself. 

“You hungry?” Jennie asks.

“When am I not?” The other girl asks jokingly. 

“Stupid question then?” 

“If you know the answer why ask?” She said rolling her eyes with a smile and eating another orange piece.

“Someone’s still grumpy from waking up early.” She teased.

“Not grumpy, just tired.” She said turning quickly to give the brunette a kiss.

“I know, love.” Jennie says nuzzling the other girls neck. “All the walking hasn’t helped either.” 

“It’s fine, Jen.” She reassured her. “I love this,walking around like an old couple, cuddling at the house or at the beach, I’m just happy to be with you.” She says leaning further back on the girl.

“I love it too, baby.” 

They spend some time under the shade, resting and talking about their future plans, having gone through what Chaeyoung went through gave them some perspective. They both want to keep releasing stuff with Blackpink, but they also want to enjoy their time, not take it for granted anymore. They start talking about what they both want for them as a relationship and they both agreed they want to get married someday. Ultimately it was decided Jennie will propose eventually, while Chaeyoung promised to say yes when the time came.

------------

They leave the car in the park’s lot and walk on foot. Chaeyoung swings their hands between them. Jennie turns to smile at the blonde, touching the Baby’s-breath flower woven into another braid in her hair, the one flower Jennie had bought her when they left the market. Everlasting and undying love. Just like hers was.

The place where they were eating was a dinner owned by the same family since the 50s, 4minute Diner. The hostess and owner, Jiyoon smiles at them as they wander over to her. Seeing as how everyone in this town watched Jennie grew up here, she lets them pick their own table, a small booth at the back, Jennie let Chaeyoung sit first and then slides over laying her arm on the back of the booth. The younger girl sliding closer, tucking herself below her arm.

Jiyoon gets to them and leaves them a couple of glasses of water and then pulls a pen and taps her pad. “You want your usuals?” 

Chaeyoung nods. She takes a deep gulp of water, completely ignoring the straw, and a few drops dribble down her chin and onto her shirt. Jennie reaches up and wipes them away with her thumb. While they wait, Jennie takes some pictures of Chaeyoung while the girl draws in small notebook she started carrying after the whole thing. Photos might be Jennie’s thing, but for Chaeyoung her drawing were her photos.

Jiyoon comes back carrying their usual, Kimchi rice for Chaeyoung and Naengmyeon for Jennie, with the promise of milk ice cream afterwards.“Hyuna says hi, by the way. She saw you come in,” Jiyoon says as she puts down the silverware.

“You’re working her like a horse back there, you know,” Jennie says before blowing into plate. “Take her out on a date once in a while.”

“I’ll tell her you said that.” Jiyoon smacks the back of Jennie’s head in the same way an older sister would.

“Send my compliments to the chef,” Chaeyoung breaks in. “So that she doesn’t kill my girlfriend.”

Jiyoon laughs and shakes her head as she pulls away to go to another table. Jennie flicks Chaeyoung’s thigh and the blonde giggles. Jennie loves days like this, this simple life, sitting in a diner, messing with the owner and her wife, Chaeyoung by her side... she looks up to find her staring at her with chipmunk cheeks kimchi her lips pressed together and turned up in a smile.

Yep, this is her dream life and while she wouldn’t give up her career for this just yet, she would soak in every second of it. Always and forever, ´til the end of the line.