Chapter 7: Family

Sparks Fly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In a few days, Dahyun’s foot healed. It was still a bit painful for her to walk but she came back to the city with Momo since Momo needs to work and she would be resting at home, anyway.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Out of boredom, even with her foot not feeling fully fine yet, Dahyun went to the market to visit the old fruit vendor she’s close with.

 

“I bet halmeoni’s missing me as much as I do,” Dahyun told herself.

 

When she got to the market, she suddenly had a bad feeling because the fruit vendor’s stall is still close.

 

“Uhm, excuse me…” She calls the woman whose stall is next to the fruit vendor.

“Yes?”

“Isn’t fruit-halmeoni coming to sell yet? It’s been two weeks I think?”

“I knew you look familiar! You’re that young lady who helps her sell every weekend, right?”

“Yes…”

“Sad news, but what can we do?”

“Wh-What do you mean?” Dahyun starts feeling nervous.

 

The woman took something from her back and gave it to Dahyun.

 

“I bet she wrote that for you. She was writing that when she collapsed the last day she opened her stall. It must be because of old age and the weather. Old people are having a harder time when it’s too hot or too cold, you know?”

 

“Ah—Yes—Thank you.” Dahyun’s whole body starts shaking. She doesn’t know what to do and say anymore. She opened the letter and tears quickly flew out her eyes.

 

“My dear beautiful girl, I don’t feel so well today but I hope to tell you a lot of things that’s why I’m still writing you this. I can still remember the first time you helped me sell my fruits. You told me you would help as long as I’ll give you seven apples. Without really thinking you would truly help, I gave you seven apples, simply because I think you want it badly. But I was wrong when I thought you won’t be doing your promise. You helped me until all my fruits were sold out. Now that you already have a job, you no longer ask me for anything, exchange for your help, but I still give you fruits just because I’m grateful. You’re such a good kid. Halmeoni has gone too old, you see. I can only barely open my eyes and see but every time I hear your voice, I know it’s you, so I smile and greet you. I don’t really have a son. I have no family that’s why I sell fruits to live until now. Whenever I give you food, I lie and tell you that my son gave me too much just for you to accept it. I didn’t give birth to anyone but in my heart, you’re my daughter, my granddaughter, my only family. Halmeoni loves Da” the letter gets cut.

 

“Halmeoni…..” Dahyun cries out loud.

 

She did her best to know where the vendor was buried. With a broken heart, she went to visit her.

 

“Halmeoni, I told you to take a rest, didn’t I? I told you to stop overworking yourself.” Dahyun sobs.

“Remember the kids at the orphanage I always talk about? I told them I’ll let them meet you someday. How am I supposed to tell them that it would no longer happen now that you already left? They’ll sure get sad.”

 

That day, Dahyun went home with swollen eyes for crying too much. Feeling really sad, she sat at the balcony to watch the stars.

 

“They said people become stars when they die. Halmeoni, are you one of these stars now? If you are, I hope you meet my parents. I’m sure they will take care of you up there. They are very good people, just like you.”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

While walking home, Momo heard Dahyun’s voice, calling her.

 

“Am I hallucinating? This is creepy.” Momo shivers.

 

After taking one step, she heard her voice again.

 

“It must be a ghost, toying with me!” Momo runs away.

 

“Momo!”

 

“Now the ghost is shouting!” Momo gets even more scared.

 

“Stop running, you moron!”

 

“Wait—is she actually nearby for real?” Momo stopped running and looked around.

 

“I’m here, babo!”

 

With the dark surrounding, she failed to see Dahyun.

 

“Dahyun, did anything happen to you? Are you a ghost now?” Momo gulps.

“Is that why your voice is a bit different?” Momo shakes.

 

“Aish! I said I’m here!” Dahyun throws a pebble at Momo.

 

Momo looked at the direction where the pebble came from and finally found her.

 

“Oh, you’re there. I thought you already turned into a ghost. Hi~” Momo waves.

“Seriously—“ Dahyun covers her face with her palm.

 

“What are you doing there?” Momo asked.

“I live here. What are you doing there?” Dahyun asked.

“I’m on my way home,” Momo answered.

“So, you live nearby?”

“Yes!”

 

Momo looks around.

 

“Ah, actually I live at the room beside yours,” said Momo.

“You do?! Then why did you run that way when I called you?!”

“I was too scared to even realize that I’m home.” Momo rubs her nape while laughing at herself awkwardly.

 

“If you two are neighbors, can you talk at your places?! You’re disturbing us!” An annoyed woman shouted.

“Oh—“ They both didn’t realize they were shouting just to communicate.

 

Momo gave Dahyun some hand signs, saying she’ll be there in a while.

 

They met in front of Momo’s room.

 

“Can we just talk here? My place is really messy like what I’ve said last time.” Dahyun smiles awkwardly.

“It’s really cold here. Let’s just talk inside mine. As far as I remember, it’s pretty clean today,” said Momo.

 

They entered her place where clothes and undergarments are found everywhere.

 

“Or maybe not—hehe…” Momo embarrassingly took her exposed undergarments and put it in one basket.

 

“How did your even get to your table?” Dahyun hands it to Momo.

“Don’t touch it!” Momo blushes and takes it from Dahyun quickly.

 

“Sometimes I rush too much that’s why I end up throwing my things here and there. I don’t really notice where my clothes and undergarments fly to. I just realize those are already all around when I already need to bring my clothes to the laundry shop.” Momo explained.

“After seeing your place, I think my place isn’t as messy as I thought,” said Dahyun.

“Sorry… That was embarrassing. Oh, have a sit. Don’t be shy.” Momo continues fixing her clothes.

 

“Are you sick? Your voice sounds a bit different because of your clogged nose.” Momo asked.

“I’m okay. I just cried earlier.”

“Why? Do you already miss the kids and Sister Jihye?”

“I miss them already, but that’s not it. Remember the fruit vendor I was helping last time?”

 

Momo nods.

 

“I thought she wasn’t selling fruits yet because she was still resting. I just found out today that she already died. It must be from over-fatigue. At her age, she must already be resting but she was still working just to survive because she has no family. If I just knew, I would have taken her to the orphanage. The kids and Sister could have taken care of her.” Dahyun gets teary again.

“I’m sorry about the news.” Momo sits beside Dahyun to give her a hug.

 

“Just think of it this way. She’s already resting now and she’ll no longer have to work. Isn’t that a good thing? Don’t cry anymore. You already shed too many tears, I bet. That’s why I can no longer see your eyes.” Momo joked.

“You’re really such a bully.” Dahyun hits Momo’s back slightly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter