Chapter 4: Sharing is loving

Sparks Fly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Momo and Dahyun left the orphanage in the afternoon after lunch so they could go home earlier and rest. Before parting, Momo tried to ask Dahyun if she could have her phone number, but Dahyun refused to give it to her.

 

“Then how would I know when and where to meet you next week?” Momo asked.

“We met yesterday but we didn’t talk about it, right? You know where to find me. See you~” Dahyun waves and winks at her before leaving.

 

“Does it mean she helps the vendor every weekend before leaving? Wow—she’s really—“ Momo’s liking her even more because of her personality.

 

That night, Momo dreamt of Dahyun again.

 

“Guess I won’t meet her today.” She prepares for work.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Dahyun passed by the market but didn’t see the fruit vendor there.

 

“She must be resting. I’m really happy I was able to help.” Dahyun happily walks going to her work.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

As soon as Momo enter the office, Ms. Lee came to her, running.

 

“Can you deliver my files again?”

 

Momo was about to take her files, but she suddenly remembered what Dahyun said; “Don’t let anyone control you.”

 

“Why? Does your foot hurt again?” Momo asked.

 

Ms. Lee nods.

 

Suddenly, Momo stepped on her foot, making some of her officemates shock and laugh.

 

“What was that for?!” Ms. Lee asked.

“Just something to confirm how ‘painful’ your foot is. Base on your expression, it doesn’t hurt at all. But I could do it harder for it to hurt for real, then I’ll take responsibility by delivering your files,” said Momo.

“You —“

 

Momo tilts her head.

 

“Don’t call me that, because as far as I remember, you’re the truth between us two. Then—“ Momo goes to her desk.

 

“That was actually y.”

“Yeah, I love it.”

“Me too!”

 

In the afternoon, for the first time her whole life, two officemates of hers asked her to have lunch with them. Momo happily agreed to eat with them.

 

“You were so cool earlier when you stepped on Ms. Lee’s foot,” said one of them.

“That’s right! Your words really roasted her, I bet,” said the other one.

“Uhh—“ Momo awkwardly laughs.

“Honestly, I felt bad suddenly after realizing what I have done,” said Momo.

“You don’t have to. She deserves that for always making a fool out of you.”

“She’s right. Don’t let anyone command you and ask you to do this for them. We’re all getting paid to do our jobs, not someone else’s job. Don’t let them get paid for doing nothing.”

 

Momo nods, thinking they also got a point.

 

“We thought you were weird, that’s why we never talked to you. We’re sorry for that.” They both apologized.

“That’s okay.” Momo smiles at them.

 

“We live in a world full of judgmental people, indeed,” Momo tells herself.

 

Since that day, everyone who used to order her around stopped out of fear they might also be humiliated like Ms. Lee.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Dahyun came to the fruit vendor’s stand on Saturday, but still didn’t see her.

 

“Maybe she still has money, that’s why. I think she’ll be back on Monday. I’ll just wait here for Momo.” Dahyun thinks.

 

After just a few minutes, Momo came.

 

“Are you already done selling?” Momo asked.

“No. Halmeoni didn’t come today. I guess she’ll be back on Monday. Should we go now?” Dahyun asked.

“Sure. But can you help me? These are too heavy, I might not make it to the station while carrying these alone,” said Momo.

“What are those?”

“Woods, so we could build a new table for them.”

 

Dahyun chuckled and said, “I was planning to buy one.”

“Uh-ah. That would be too expensive. This would help us save a whole lot more.” Momo winks.

“You’re learning well from the prodigy.” Dahyun proudly said.

 

While they were on the train, Dahyun fell asleep on Momo’s shoulder.

Momo’s shoulder started feeling numb, but still, she endured it just for Dahyun to have a good rest before they tire themselves again the whole day.

 

At the next stop, Momo woke Dahyun up.

 

“Sorry to disturb you, but are we here?” Momo asked.

 

But instead of checking if they’ve arrive, Dahyun panicked because she drooled on Momo’s shoulder.

 

“I’m really sorry! I don’t usually drool, trust me! Ugh~ This is embarrassing!”

“Don’t mind that.” Momo folds her sleeve up.

“Are we here?” She asked Dahyun once again.

 

Dahyun looked outside and confirmed they’ve reached their destination.

 

While walking out of the train station, Dahyun kept some distance from Momo out of embarrassment. After noticing the distance between them, Momo moved closer to Dahyun, but Dahyun kept on moving away.

 

“We’re already friends, aren’t we?” Momo asked.

“We are,” Dahyun answered.

“Then why are we so far from each other as if we’re strangers?”

“Just—“ Dahyun looks down to hide her blushing face.

“What’s wrong?”

 

Dahyun shakes her head.

 

“She’s acting weird. When did she start acting like that?” Momo thinks of it.

 

“Is it because of—“

 

Dahyun suddenly ran to Momo to cover and stop her from talking.

 

“Can you not cause me much more embarrassment by not shouting and letting everyone around us hear what happened? Thank you.”

“You were so far so how would you hear me if I won’t shout, right?”

“Now I’m here next to you. No need to shout, okay?”

 

Momo chuckled and said, “I should have tried saying it earlier if I just knew that would keep you nearer.”

 

While walking, Momo asked Dahyun for some minutes to rest. She didn’t expect Dahyun to agree about it, but she did.

 

“These woods are heavy. We should have bought it here,” said Dahyun.

“At least I’ve learned my lesson. I’m going to buy the things we need at the orphanage here from now on.”

 

“WE?” Dahyun wondered if she just heard it wrong or what.

 

After a while of resting, they started walking again. They reached the orphanage in a couple of minutes.

 

“I’ve never been this tired walking to the orphanage my whole life. Please, let’s make this the last.” Dahyun wipes her sweat away.

“I’m sorry. I’m sure this would be the last. This is also the most tiring day of my life,” said Momo.

 

As soon as the kids hear someone open the date, they ran out excitedly, knowing it was Dahyun and Momo.

 

“Unniiiie!!!!” They all hugged them.

 

“Momo-unnie, you really came back,” said Tzuyu.

 

Momo bends down and smiles at Tzuyu.

 

“I never broke any of my promise.”

 

Seeing her bending her body down, Jeongyeon suddenly jumped on her back for a ride.

 

“Carry me too!” Nayeon hugs Momo’s left leg.

“Hey, enough. Momo-unnie’s tired,” said Dahyun.

 

Jeongyeon goes down and Nayeon lets go of her leg.

 

“Then—“ Jeongyeon and Nayeon looked at each other and nodded.

“Carry us instead, Dahyun-unnie!” They were planning to cling onto Dahyun and make her walk with them on her legs, but Momo held their clothes from behind, stopping them for taking a step near Dahyun.

“D

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter