Chapter 3: Little Dahyun

Sparks Fly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sister Jihye mentioned earlier that you were traumatized like Mina and Tzuyu, that’s why you were quiet. May I know why?” Momo asked.

“Tzuyu was like you. She gets beaten up and cursed all the time for no reason, that’s why she escaped. Maybe she’s a savage talker because as a kid, she thought talking that way is normal because that’s how people around her before talk to her. Sister Jihye saw her on the street, looking so weak, so she brought her here. She told us everything that happened, but she never cried. That’s why at first, I was doubtful. But I believed her when someone came here, looking for her. That was the very first time I saw her crying and shaking. She even knelt in front of Sister and I to beg us not to tell the man that she’s here. Since lying about that would be considered as kidnapping, we still admitted that she’s here. But we didn’t let him in for Tzuyu’s sake. Suddenly, he kicked the gate and shouted, “I’m going to kill you the moment I see you!” Hearing that kind of thing, I’ve made up my mind instantly. I took the case to the court for him and the other abusers to be imprisoned. I spent a lot of money on that, but I didn’t care at all. All I wanted to happen was for Tzuyu to be safe and happier.”

“As for Mina, she’s a new kid so I haven’t heard her story yet. I’ve only heard her voice once when she thanked Chaeyoung.” Dahyun added.

“I hope I could hear her voice too,” said Momo.

 

She noticed that Dahyun doesn’t want to talk about her personal story on why she was traumatized when she was young, so she has decided not to ask her about it.

 

“Hearing your story, you must also be traumatized from your own experience, that’s why you follow everyone’s command,” said Dahyun.

 

Momo nods and says, “I also think so.”

 

“I personally don’t know how to overcome a nightmare, but I hope soon, you will. Because as long as it’s inside you, you’ll never be happy.” Dahyun smiles slightly.

“I hate seeing that wistful smile of yours, so I hope you’ll also be able to overcome whatever it is that makes you sad.”

“Thank you, Momo.” Her smile gets brighter.

“No, thank you. You’re the only one who listens to me and talks to me, even before I met you…”

“What do you mean?” Dahyun tilts her head.

“When I first met you, I asked you if you know me, remember?” Momo asked.

“Yes,” Dahyun shortly answered.

“That was because I used to dream of you a lot. I also don’t know why. I wasn’t planning to call you my ‘dreamgirl’ at all, unlike what you speculated that time. I really dream of you.”

 

Dahyun thinks of it.

 

“What kind of person am I in your dreams?” Dahyun asked.

“Cheerful and kind, like the person I am with now,” Momo answered.

“Have we met before? Because they said the people you dream of are people you’ve met or seen at least once.”

“I don’t remember meeting or seeing you at all.”

“Hmm… I also don’t. I wonder why you dream of me.”

“Maybe sparks fly when I’m with you because I feel like I’ve known you my whole life, and you’re the only person I’ve been depending on all this time.”

“Sparks—fly—when you’re with me?” Dahyun asked.

 

Momo nods.

 

“Didn’t I tell you about it already? You even told me I must have fallen in love with you.”

“You talk like falling in love with the same gender is so normal and fine to you. Have you fallen in love with a girl before?”

 

Momo shakes her head.

 

“I never fell in love with anyone, that’s why I want to try.”

“Try??? Falling in love is not a choice, Ms. Hirai.”

“I want to experience, rather.”

“I’ve never fallen in love with anyone too, but I’m not thinking of wanting to experience it at all, because I know that would just cost me money. Just imagine how much would you spend on dates and gifts you’d give your partner just to celebrate days and years of being together,” said Dahyun.

“You said earlier that you can only die when the kids could already stand at their own feet. Why don’t you rephrase it and make it sound better?” Momo asked.

“Better? How?”

“’I can only date someone when the kids could already stand at their own feet.’ Say it that way instead,” said Momo.

“Or maybe make it ‘I can only date someone who would take care of the kids with me until they could already stand at their own feet’.” Momo added.

 

Dahyun chuckled and asked, “Are you asking me to date you?”

“No, not at all.” Momo shakes her head.

“I just thought that dating won’t be bad for you if the person you’d date is someone who cares for the kids as much as you do,” Momo explained.

“Well, that makes sense. But still, I’m not ready to fall in love with, so still, no.”

 

“Let’s go pay for these now. I think we got all the ingredients needed,” said Dahyun.

 

While waiting in line, Momo suddenly remembered something.

 

“I’ll be back. I’ll just get something,” said Momo.

 

She runs for her to be able to come back quickly.

 

When she came back, Dahyun got surprised to see her holding a pack of gummy bears.

 

“Do you love that?” Dahyun asked.

“It’s for the kids. I promised them earlier that I’m going to buy them a pack of this because they’ve been good kids for cleaning the orphanage and playing without fighting.” Momo grins.

 

Dahyun smiles sweetly, thinking Momo would sure make the kids happy.

 

“You’re being so good to them. I’m afraid they’ll no longer be excited to see me next week, because they’ll want to see you instead.” Dahyun joked.

“I’m sure they’ll still be excited to see you. They love you so much, you know?”

“Who told you that?” Dahyun asked.

“They told me earlier that the persons they love the most in this world are Sister Jihye and you. And if I fulfill my promise, they said I’ll be the second person they love the most.”

“Wait, Sister and I are two persons so you’ll be third.”

“No, because they love both of you equally,” said Momo.

 

“That’s so cute of them.” Dahyun smiled.

 

“Oh, and something happened that made me laugh while you were away.” Momo laughs, remembering it.

“What is it?”

“Mina didn’t talk, so I came to her to ask her who she loves the most. I was expecting for her to talk and say Sister Jihye, but Chaeyoung suddenly shouted, ‘Me, of course!’”

 

Dahyun laughs together with Momo.

 

“I didn’t see that coming,” said Dahyun.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Thank you for buying the ingredients so we could eat our favorite dish by Sister Jihye, unnie.” The kids thanked Dahyun.

“I got something for dessert too,” said Momo.

 

She takes the gummy bears from her bag and shows it to them.

 

“Woooow!!!’ They clapped with so much excitement.

 

“I thought Momo-unnie have forgotten her promise,” said Nayeon.

“I won’t forget it, of course.” Momo goes to divide the pieces of gummy bears for them to have an equal amount of it.

 

“There are three pieces left. Let’s have it.” Momo gives Dahyun and Sister Jihye their share.

 

Momo gives Sana her share.

“Thank you, unnie!” Sana kisses Momo.

 

She gives Tzuyu her share.

“Thank you, Momo-unnie.” Tzuyu smiles.

 

She gives Jeongyeon her share.

“Thank youuu!” Jeongyeon smiles brightly at her.

 

She gives Nayeon her share.

“Yay! Thank you!” Nayeon hugs her.

 

She gives Jihyo her share.

“Thank you so much, Momo-unnie.” Jihyo smiles sweetly.

 

She gives Chaeyoung her share.

“Looks delicious! Thank you, unnie!” Chaeyoung grins.

 

She gives Mina her share.

 

Everyone looked at her as if the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter