Chronic Bummer Playlist, 4 - What a Nightmare to Love

The Amazeballs Adventures of Chipmunk & Mandu
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Nobody asked but this is one of my most fave things that I’ve written because I am a horrible person and because I just want a hug. 

 

Click here to sad jam to Okay's Nightmare.
 

 

 

The dragon, of course, remembered everything. 

 

She was there to witness the birth of time and space. She had watched the universe unfold from a microscopic ball of light into ten thousand things. She remembered seeing the fox for the first time rise milky white, from moonlight and cosmic dust into a spiralling eddy of phosphenes: constantly changing, beautiful, perfect. 
 

 

And from that moment of the fox's inception, where the shapeshifting creature went, the dragon followed. They were inseparable. They were devoted to each other and existed outside petty, human emotions. Their bond was timeless, absolute, enduring.


But tens of thousands of years and countless lives later, the fox had forgotten the dragon. They had fallen to the Earth as twin beams of pure light, but the fluid, ever-morphing fox was lost in the seasons and tides, and distracted by dizzying details. 

 

In this life, the dragon was Jennie Kim, an ornery brunette, forever watching, forever waiting for the infuriatingly squirrelly fox, Park Chaeyoung, who was oblivious to their true nature and destiny.

 

The deathless dragon was currently living through the indignity of kindergarten. Her Chaeyoung was currently not so sneakily trying to eat paste with her best friend Lisa. 

 

Jennie sighed. In this iteration of her life, her only compatriot was a six year old named Jisoo, who was wise beyond her years while being an idiotic marvel at the same time. 

 

“Why would you waste time on paste when everyone knows newspapers are salty and delicious,” she noted while observing the two four year olds. 

 

“No, Lisa! Dumbo is mine!” Rosé squeaked tearfully as her best friend now teasingly held her favourite plush elephant out of her grubby little reach. 

 

Jennie marched over, shoved Lisa to the ground, yanked the elephant from her, and wordlessly gave it to Rose. 

 

Rosie retaliated by smacking the plush toy against Jennie in a surprising plot twist. The whack was too weak to physically hurt, but Jennie felt in right in the meowmeow. 

 

“You can’t do that to my best friend!” the blonde squeaked tearfully and defiantly.

 

Jennie picked Lisa up and dusted her off. “Mess with her again and I’ll set you on fire,” she snarled. 

 

In middle school, Jennie resentfully had to listen to Rosé talk about boys, food, and art, her most favourite things in the world.

 

It was a Saturday afternoon, and JenChuLiChaeng were up in the Parks’ treehouse, eating Turtle Chips, and discussing super important things. 

 

The blonde was currently on one of her rambles. “I’m going to move to Paris, and eat nothing but bread and pastries and-“

 

“Really?” Jennie interjected, one eyebrow raised. “You’re gonna give up rice?”

 

“Well… I mean, ‘nothing but bread’ is just an expression. I’m sure they have rice in Paris,” the blonde said sheepishly. “The point is, I’m going to live there, and see Monet’s stuff, and Rodin’s, and I’m gonna be an artist just like them, and Jimin and I are going to get married.”

 

“Jimin? Mochi Jimin?” Jennie grimaced.

 

“He’s cute!” Rosé insisted. “By the way, I heard his friend, Taehyung, has a crush on you. Didn’t he follow you on Instagram?”

 

“He unfollowed her two seconds later,” Lisa interrupted, cackling evilly. 

 

Jennie’s face soured even more. The brunette looked like she was about to breathe fire. “You’re thirteen, you’re not going to marry Jimin. People don’t end up together with people they know at thirteen.”

 

“You don’t think you’ve met the person you want to spend the rest of your life with yet?” 

 

Jennie gave her friend a small, sad, secretive smile. “I don’t know.” 

 

“Anyone would be seriously dumb to not want to marry Jennie Kim,” Rosé gushed, a soft blush dusting her cheeks.

 

“That’s okay, we know you’re dumb, Chaeyoung,” Jisoo said, looking up from her video game to tease Chaennie.

 

“Huh?” Rosé replied cluelessly.

 

“I’ll marry

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter