Ch. 9

Husband or stranger?

It seems like forever since the rain has started. Water is pouring from the gray sky and the time in the camp stopped. The prisoners can't work, the rain turned everything into mud and formed rivers on the ground. The prisoners are locked and no work means no food.

 

Yesung and Donghae are silently lying on the thin mats and drops of cold water are falling down on their freezing bodies. They have plenty of water but no food and it is extra hard for Yesung after the days he spent in the tiny prison cell. At least they can speak. Donghae used to live in the capital city and it sounds weird to hear about all the things they had. They even owned a car which is a wonder for Yesung. Yesung speaks about his husband and ensures Donghae that Siwon is going to come and get him out of here. 

 

After they have nothing to say they just sit there and silently listen to the rain and thunders. When the rain finally stopped, they can see all damages. The road is ruined, water washed away the rocks as if trying to stop this cruelty. Mud is everywhere and the mines are flooded. The soldiers are extra angry because they need to wade in the mud and yell at the prisoners who are running out of the huts to stand in long lines. Yesung, Donghae and one hundred more prisoners get buckets and they are going to build the road again. They create a long line next to the huge hill of rocks which were mined and carry the buckets to the ruined road. There they empty the buckets and hurry back. It is a hard job.

 

They are hungry and the buckets are very heavy. The mud is covering their knees and it is exhausting to carry the heavy buckets with stones while their legs are getting stuck in the mud.

 

At the end of the day they go a tiny portion of corn and stumble back in their huts. Yesung feels like his body is in flames. He can't decide what is worse - building the road or working in the mine? The mud is slowly drying up and hurts his legs even more, but Yesung is too tired to care. He fell asleep right after swallowing the bit of food.

 

Donghae is watching him and thinks about Yesung and his husband. He caught Yesung mumbling: “Siwon is going to get me out of here.” a few times during the day. And Donghae knows that it isn’t possible.

 

Meanwhile Siwon is slowly recovering. They moved him in some hidden house. He has no idea where he is, he only sees the forests around the house and the guards don’t let him leave. NIS is scared that North has sent agents to kill or kidnap Siwon and they don’t want to risk such a thing. Siwon is going crazy. He knows that other spies in North Korea are trying to find out if Yesung is still alive. Winter is coming and Siwon’s worries are slowly torturing him. He knows how the winter looks like in the camps. Many prisoners don’t survive. The only thing he can do is to believe in Shindong that he will find out where is his husband.