Ch. 25

Husband or stranger?

Chanyeol has big news for Siwon and the big news need to stay secret because otherwise it won’t be a huge surprise. Chanyeol arrives to Siwon’s house and the surprise got out of the car. Chanyeol rings on the doorbell and in a few seconds Siwon opened the front door. Siwon almost fainted when he opened the door and can’t believe his eyes. Jongjin! Healthy, alive Jongjin is standing in front of him!

 

And Jongjin’s way here? 

 

He and his father were locked in the re-educating camp and he managed to escape. He escaped in China and worked there until now to get money for getting in South Korea. Here he went to a police station and asked about Choi Siwon, they sent someone from NIS and then he got to Chanyeol. 

 

“Can I ….. go inside or are you going to stare at me?”

 

Siwon quickly moves away and Jongjin walks inside the house. Chanyeol can sense the heavy atmosphere between them and basically ran away to avoid drama. Siwon leads Jongjin upstairs where is sleeping Yesung. 

 

Yesung heard that the door opened and he opened his tired eyes. He thinks that he is dreaming but then Jongjin comes closer and smiles at him.

 

“Hi.”

 

Few first tears left Yesung’s eyes before a waterfall starts.

 

“Jongjin …!”

 

Jongjin grabs shaking the hand of his brother and the bony fingers. 

 

“Hyung, how are you?”

 

Yesung just cries and tightly hugs his beloved little brother.

 

“If this is just a dream then I don’t want to wake up.”

 

Jongjin pats his back and his hair to calm him down.

 

“And dad?”

 

Yesung hopes that maybe if Jongjin survived, then their dad might also be alive. However Jongjin crushed his hopes with a simple shake of his head.

 

“Dad fell sick and then I escaped.”

 

Yesung starts to cry harder and Jongjin sighs.


“Dad regretted leaving you. He said that we should have stayed together like a family. He was angry at himself for leaving his beloved son.”

 

Jongjin smiles a bit at his brother who starts to cry. His dad still loved him! Yesung cries and Jongjin sits down on the bed until Yesung got exhausted and slowly fell asleep. Before Yesung fell asleep he fought to open his eyes one more time and looked at Jongjin.

 

“Promise that you will be here after I wake up.”

 

Jongjin nods and gently squeezes his brother’s hand.

 

“Of course.”

 

Then he walked out of the room and Siwon follows him.

 

“I am glad your father still loved Yesung.”

 

Jongjin turns to him and shows him a weird grin which is something between smiling and crying.

 

“He hated Yesung. He saw him as the reason of our suffering and cursed you and Yesung.”

 

Siwon is standing there, completely dumbstruck and Jongjin starts to prepare tea.

 

“Sometimes a lie is better than truth.”

 

Jongjin is silently preparing the tea and remembers the first time he drank a good cup of tea in China after running away from the camp. He was amazed by everything in China and South Korea is even better because no one is going to arrest him for being a refugee.

 

“Siwon I am not saying that I agree with what you did. You left Yesung to suffer for your crimes and I can’t believe that he survived in the camp because I was there for a while and wanted to die. I am just saying that I understand why did you run away and …”

 

Jongjin wasn’t expecting an outburst of anger but here it is - Siwon banged his fists against the table and throws the cups away.

 

“Do you think I ran away? That I wasn’t trying to get back? I couldn’t!”

 

Siwon feels helpless when Jongjin confronted him. He is fixing his relationship with Yesung and now Jongjin comes and Siwon needs to fix the relationship with his brother-in-law. Jongjin is shocked and stands there for a few seconds before he grabs two other cups and continues in preparing the tea.

 

“No matter how angry you feel, you are still guilty.”

 

Jongjin sips on the hot tea and sat down.

 

“I feel guilty for leaving Yesung in the camp, I left with father and hyung was alone.”

 

Siwon sat down and stares in the cup.

 

“We don’t need to fight on our own, we can help each other for the sake of my brother.”

 

Jongjin and Siwon are looking at each other for a while before Yesung starts to scream due to a nightmare. They both get up in the same time and go upstairs. Yesung is awake and sits in the middle of the big bed while gasping for air and hysterically crying. Siwon sat down on the bed and starts to rub Yesung’s back. Jongjin sat down too and Yesung’s hair. They are both smiling at Yesung and he slowly calmed down. Yesung is exhausted and fell asleep while sobbing and whining a bit. Jongjin and Siwon look at each other but it isn’t a competitive look, they know that there is no space to fight with each other because Yesung needs them. They can work together for now until they are 100% sure that Yesung feels good. He is fast asleep and Jongjin tucks him under a blanket and smiles at his brother. Siwon looks at Jongjin and bites his lower lip. He has never really liked Jongjin, he knows that Yesung loves his brother very much. But Siwon repeats to himself that there is no space to compete. 

 

“We can be allies and save each other from everything what happened.”

 

Siwon sighs when Jongjin nods and he gets up.

 

“We are a family so you should live with us.”

 

Siwon leads Jongjin into an unused bedroom and Jongjin decided to take a nap. Jongjin lay down and closes his eyes. He misses his dad but he can’t imagine him in South Korea. Jongjin was thinking hard while working in China, he was thinking about choosing between his brother and father and after long weeks he realized that he loves his brother more than he loves his father. Jongjin feels bad for admitting it but he got over the death of their father quite quickly and doesn’t mind losing him when he has Yesung. Jongjin smiles a bit while looking around the room. The house is really pretty and he is sure that Siwon will take good care of him. Jongjin wants to start a new life so he won’t stay here forever, he loves his brother but Yesung and Siwon deserve to be happy together. Jongjin sighs and closes his eyes again. They survived hell but now they can start living again.

 

THE END