Ch. 5

Husband or stranger?

Yesung, his brother and father are going to live with another 97 people in one bunkhouse which is made of rocks and roof made of straw laid on wooden planks and on the floor is straw and dry plant mats. Yesung still believes that this is only an ugly dream, a nightmare and he is going to wake up soon in arms of his husband who will protect him. The guards woke up the prisoners at 5 a.m. when the sky is still dark and it is cold. Yesung’s feet are freezing, but at least his little brother has shoes and he is more important than himself. Everyone got 200 grams of corn boiled into gruel and then they are separated into different group and led away to work. Yesung’s father is going to work on a field with textile plants and Jongjin is led away to work in forests which are situated on the slopes of the large valley around them. Yesung got a shovel and he entered a coal mine. Now he wishes to have shoes because the sharp stones are cutting his feet. He hurries to work like the people around him. He is still hungry, but something is telling him that they aren’t going to get more food, everyone around looks like a skeleton. The prisoners are working in silence, only the guards are yelling at someone from time to time. They have only primitive tools like shovels or picks, but many of them uses only their hands. Yesung is trying to work hard, but his body still hurts after being beaten up by the police. A guard starts to beat him with a stick and Yesung fell down. That made the guard even angrier and he wants to beat him with the shovel. However, a few meters away from them an old man collapsed on the ground and the guard rushes to beat him. It gives a bit of time to Yesung to drag his exhausted body up and he started to pick up the coal and throws it in cargo coaches. The old man isn’t moving anymore and the guard walked away as if nothing happened. Yesung heard about labor camps, but he never imagined them like this. It looks like lives of the prisoners have absolutely no value and they are here to work until they died and then new prisoners will replace them. Yesung started to cry while forcing himself to collect the coal as fast as he can. What has he ever done to get here?

 

Shindong finally told the truth to Siwon. They don’t know where is Yesung, they only know that he was arrested and that’s all. Siwon’s health is still bad, so he has to postpone his return in North Korea, but he is planing everything in his head. He doesn’t care that going back is a suicidal mission, he has to get his husband back. Siwon looks around his room and thinks that he doesn’t deserve such luxury. He is a rat, he left his husband to suffer and Siwon knows very well what are the consequences of being accused of a betrayal. Siwon silently cries while thinking about Yesung. Siwon doesn’t cry easily, he killed in the name of the leader of North Korea, he saw such terrible things, but the thought of Yesung being tortured or dead is terrifying. Siwon looks around the dark room and stares out of the window. He knows that a better life is waiting for him in this country, but he can’t live without Yesung.