Ch. 2

Husband or stranger?

After a short ride the soldiers harshly pulled Yesung out of the car and started to drag him toward a gray building with no windows. Yesung’s knees are giving up because he recognized this place. If the police get information or think that someone committed a crime against their country, they are taken here, to the infamous police station. If they take someone here, then the person simply disappears.

 

Yesung goes around this building every day when he goes to the school and he always avoids looking at it. He knows that many people suffered here because they did something bad, but why should be a torture the response to a crime?

 

Yesung is inside the police station for the first time and already feels all the pain from people who suffered in this place. There are no windows and a few lightbulbs can’t provide enough light for the one big room with many tables. Someone got up in the back of the room and Yesung recognized the person. Yunho - head of local police. Siwon knows him and he probably remembers Yesung so Yesung is going to ask why is he here. Before he can ask, Yunho stopped in front of him and his dark eyes are staring at him. In the dark room Yunho’s eyes look like a pair of black holes in an empty skull.

 

“Where is your husband?”

 

Yesung is surprised by this question. He thought that he said something unclear to his pupils and that the kids understood it wrongly and their parents said it to the police. He wasn’t expecting to be here just to get this question.

 

“He is somewhere with the army.”

 

Yunho growled and punched him in the stomach. Yesung gasped for air and almost fell down but the two soldiers hold him up.

 

“Now you are even lying to us?! Traitor and liar in one person!”

 

Yunho punched him again and the soldiers started to drag him somewhere. Yesung is whimpering in pain and coughed up a bit of blood. The soldiers are dragging him down from some stairs and Yesung’s knees are painfully hitting every hard step. They finally let go of him and Yesung collapsed on the ground. They are standing in some long hallway which is under the police station. On both sides of the hallway are metal doors and Yesung hears sounds of crying and whimpering. Yunho opened one of the doors and the soldiers kicked his side to get him up. Yesung is stumbling behind Yunho and they walked in the room. There is one single light bulb and a metal table with a chair. Yunho sat down and glares at Yesung.

 

“Your husband is a spy. He is working for South Korea goverment and you knew about his traitorous actions.”

 

Yesung gasped in shock and then furiously shakes his head no.

 

“What? No! I never ...”

 

A sharp slap across his face silenced him and Yesung fell on his back. The two men started to kick him and stomp on the fragile man who is writhing in pain. Yunho is watching the scene and after a few minutes when Yesung already bleeding and coughs up blood he stops them.

 

“Did you work with your husband?”

 

Yesung shakes his head no and yells that this whole thing must be a mistake but no one is listening. There were so many people investigated like him, most of them were innocent like him, but on this place innocent and guilt don’t matter. They already decided if you are innocent or guilty.

 

.

.

.

 

Siwon doesn’t know what happened, what went wrong or why. He only knew that everything is suddenly in deep s, that he is in deep s. He has worked for South Korea as a spy for more than 10 years and no one ever found out who he truly is. It was terrible to lie to the man who he loves with his whole heart but Siwon always thought that if he needs to run away from North Korea, then he is going to do it with Yesung. And now he is on the south. Alone.

 

His commander in NIS is Lee Shindong. He has never seen him, only received commands from this man. Siwon thought that tonight he is going to pass information to a messenger like always. And then he found out that his cover blew up. Siwon fought with the agents from NIS because he needed to go back for Yesung but he is too valuable for South Korea. Siwon was forcefully dragged away to a hidden beach where is waiting a boat for them. He is arguing and fighting with the agents and suddenly he hears some yelling and on hills around them appeared North Korean soldiers. They emerged out of nowhere and started to shoot. Siwon wanted to run away in the middle of this sudden chaos and get back to Yesung but intense pain in his leg stopped him and he fell down. He feels that he is dragged on the swaying boat while the shooting isn’t stopping. 

 

Siwon must have lost consciousness because when he woke up, he is in a completely strange room. Siwon looked around and spotted lots of lights shining outside the only window in the room. Seoul. He bursts into tears because he really left Yesung alone. A huge wave of anger and fear washes over his body and he knows that he can’t stay here. Siwon tries to get up, but his left leg isn’t listening him. He grunts in pain and managed to only fall down. Siwon bites his lips to stop himself from screaming in pain and pulled himself up on his elbows. He looks back at his leg which is covered with bandages and then feels something hot on his stomach. He looked down and sees more bandages wrapped around his stomach. Blood is now soaking through the material and Siwon hears that the door opened. He is shielded by the hospital bed and sees a pair of white shoes. It must be a woman because the person has very small feet. Like Yesung, Yesung also has small feet. Siwon is seriously injured and lost some blood, but he can win over a nurse. He drags himself up with the help of the bed and the young nurse is staring at him in shock.

 

“Don’t scream or I will break your neck.”

 

She only nodded and closed . She wouldn’t be able to scream no matter how much she wants to. This man was brought here with serious injuries and significant blood loss. No one was expecting to see him awake so soon. 

 

“Where am I?”

 

Siwon takes few short steps closer to her and looks at the door. He needs to get out of this place as soon as possible before someone comes.

 

“In Seoul’s military hospital.”

 

Siwon cursed because it isn’t going to be easy to get out of here. But he has to, Yesung is going to be arrested if he hasn’t been already arrested. And that is not a good thing.

 

Before he can take more weak steps the door opened again. This time two men walked inside and froze. Siwon jumped toward the nurse and grabs her around the neck.

 

“Don’t move or she is dead.”

 

It is a weak threat. Siwon feels that he is going to faint in a few minutes and his wounds are heavily bleeding. It is no problem for the two men to grab Siwon and forcefully laid him back on the bed. He has no power to fight and the nurse stabbed a needle in his shoulder, which made him feel even weaker. Siwon is too tired to move and the nurse started to change his bandages. He tries to tell them that he must go back for Yesung but his mouth doesn’t listen to him and refuses to move. Siwon started to cry in helplessness and thinks about his husband. Is he going to see him ever again?