CHAPTER 5

The Purple Haired Manager

"Oh wouldn't you like to know?" Ji-yoon grinned at her. 

Jisoo raised an eyebrow. "What's up with everyone asking me that?" 

The older Kim laughed. "Because you're clueless and gullible little sis." 

Jisoo was currently sitting on her counter top while watching her sister cook. 

"Really?" Jisoo pondered. "Do I look clueless or do I just emit that vibe?" 

The brunette acted like she was actually thinking of her answer. "Both."

Jisoo groaned. "I'm 24, everyone at my age surely doesn't know what's going on with their life either." 

Ji-yoon cocked an eyebrow at her as if she was saying 'sure sis, whatever floats your boat'

"But seriously tho, you need to get a job. It helps with the quarter life crisis. You know, the kind that gives you a new purpose." 

The younger Kim scoffed as she hops off the counter and went to her full body mirror. She stared at herself, wondering where did the ambitious and confident Jisoo go. She exhaled and ran her fingers through her hair when suddenly she remembered her conversation with her neighbor.

"Unnie!!! Ji-yoon unnie!". Jisoo ran back to the kitchen. "Do you know anything about being an idol?" 

Ji-yoon was flabbergasted. "An idol?" 

"Yeah, a Korean idol!"

"Jisoo...do you want to be an idol?" 

Jisoo scoffed at her sister's reaction and explained to her how she met Chaeyoung her hot beautiful neighbor and how she had mentioned to her if she's interested in becoming a manager because the company she works for has an urgent need for a female manager.

"An idol manager?" Ji-yoon repeated which only earned her a nod from her sister. "Are you sure about that? That's a very demanding job, like super demanding. It doesn't even pay that well." 

Jisoo frowned. "Is it really that hard?" The younger Kim clearly remember how Chaeyoung speak so highly of her  manager and how she travels with her to different countries. Jisoo loves to travel and a job that let's her travel is slowly going up her lists of possible jobs. 

"Maybe you should search more about it before you go with your plan. " Ji-yoon transferred their meal to a plate and motioned for Jisoo to grab a seat before her. "Jisoo, you can do whatever you want with your life but always remember that you're cut out for bigger and greater things, don't settle for less." Ji-yoon pointed at her. "Look at you, you're smart, beautiful, rich and kind, don't feel pressured about this adulting stuff. I miss my vain and overly confident little sis." Jisoo smiled at what Ji-yoon said. She was really not herself lately but in her defense having no support from you father, who you dedicated yourself in making him proud has not even lifted a finger to check up on you would actually make you not yourself. 

the Kim sister's were talking animatedly about how their lives went when suddenly Jisoo asked. "How's Mom and Dad?" 

Ji-yoon's demeanor changed. "Same old." Came her short reply which only made Jisoo's face fall. 

"What about dad?" 

Ji-yoon stopped eating and wiped with a napkin. "Jisoo..." The tone of her voice made Jisoo stop eating too.

"I get it, he's still mad at me." 

It was hard for Jisoo to hear that her father was still not supportive of her decision. She's her dad's little girl, she did everything for him, everything to make him happy and proud. It that she disappointed him.

"Come home at dinner tomorrow Jisoo. I'm sure Mom and Dad would love to see you." Ji-yoon reaches for her hand, her thumb drawing circles on the back of it. "Believe it or not he keeps asking mom about you. I know " 

That made the younger Kim smile and nod. "I'll be there." 

///////

"Jennie, are you even listening?" Lisa asked as she glance through the rear view mirror.

The idol quickly put down her phone and nodded. "Yes, I'm with you." She confirmed with a smile.

"You're totally lying." The Thai manager scoffed. Jennie's stiff body did not go unnoticed to the latter's eyes. "Have you talked to him?" 

Jennie gave her a weak no. "Not yet....I can't face him yet." 

Lisa sighed. "It's not your fault Jen." She consoled.

The idol ignored what the Thai said she let out a shakey breath before checking the road ahead.

It's only 4 am, her two days off felt like 2 minutes and it had always been like that ever since she had become an idol. Resting is just an illusion because you never really get to rest. It was just a mandatory catch up on sleep because if they don't they'd literally go crazy. 

"Why don't you sleep Jennie? We're still far from the location of your shoot anyway."  

Jennie hummed and tried to sleep.

She tried because she didn't even get to the peak of her dream when she felt a hand lightly tapping on her shoulder. 

"Jen, wake up. We're here already." Jennie sighed and nodded. Rest is really just an illusion. 

If she could just go back in time and slap some sense on her younger self about sleeping on time and in the afternoon, she would've done so right now. 

Before going down the car Lisa gave her a run through of what is about to happen, she even gave her some pointers just so she can secure an air time for the show. 

"Ready?" Lisa asked.

"Always." Jennie took a deep breath, put on her best smile and went down the company car. 

The Thai manager quickly scanned around the place and I introduced Jennie. The idol bowed down with a smile and asked for their help and support for the show. 

"Let's all work happily." Jennie grinned and made a final bow before entering a tent. Inside is her glam team, which compromises her make-up artist, hair dresser and stylist. Jennie's three years in the industry made her realize how important it is to keep everyone in her circle and at the same time keep them at arms length. You'll never really know who to trust so kindness is the way to go. 

"Good morning." Jennie greeted with a smile. She made some small talks with her team and discussed some looks they would like her to try. 

"Ta-da!" Her make-up artist jumped happily as she pushes the chair near the mirror. "The no make-up make up look." She said proudly.

Jennie chuckled and moved her head from side to side, looking at her make-up. All those brushes and make-up for a look that screams under age. 

With a smile she thanked her team and went on to the set of the variety show she's in.

The young idol grew up watching variety shows on TV and being on a variety show where she has to work with people who are tenured in this line of work made her both excited and nervous. 

Jennie warily introduced herself with her co-workers. The breath she stopped was released as they all greeted her with warm smiles from her male seniors and warm hugs from her female seniors. Some even took the liberty to  help her with how the show goes and how things work around. 

Being an idol is like being on a continuous flow of Hello's and good-bye's. It was comparable to your first day in school, where you just want to give it your best while not overstepping on any boundaries. Plus of course you always wish you get into people's good side. The entertainment industry is far more dangerous than high school and that alone speaks a lot because high school is a pain the .

"Thank you everyone." The director and the producers bowed, then came everyone bowing back at them. She's lucky that her co-workers are nice because you don't always get that. She learned that the hard way.

Despite her tiredness Jennie went on to Lisa with a smile plastered on their face.

"You did well Jen." Her manager handed her an iced coffee. "Everyone thinks you're cute and sweet, which surprised me." 

Jennie gave her a look. "Yah!". 

Lisa chuckled and ruffled her hair "I was just joking." The manager escorted the idol towards the company car. Before closing the door the Thai spoke. "Look I told you, you've got tonight cleared, right? But Seulgi unnie called and told me that the bosses wanted to speak with you. "

The idol's face turned grim knowing well enough that she have to cancel plans with her members again due to her schedule. The brunette could not help but sigh. 

"It's not like I have much of a choice." 

The Thai pouted, feeling guilty about crushing the idol's plan for the night. Jennie told her about their dinner plan and how finally their schedules aligned. Turns out the young idol counted her chicks even before it hatched 

"I'm sorry but I promise I'll drive as quick as I can so you can eat with the girls." Lisa grinned and went on to the driver's side. "Hold tight Jennie I'll make this thing fly."

Jennie laughed. "Just drive safely Lisa, the girls would understand if I'm late but not if I'm dead." She sighed, thinking that lately all the she can do is sigh about the things that's happening around her.

///////

Jisoo is wearing her fluffy robe as she roam around her walk-in wardrobe. Shuffling and trying clothes for their family dinner. 

Jisoo was anxious because it's been a month and she has not found a job yet and she doesn't want her parents to think that she's having a hard time. Surely they would understand if she go with sweats but that would only make her look like she's struggling if that actually makes sense. She'd like to appear mature in the eyes of her parents. 

The incessant ringing of her phone momentarily halted her overthinking. She glanced at the caller and took a deep breath. 

"Hi, mom." 

The talk lasted only for a few minutes with her mom excitedly asking her if she would really come for dinner. Her mother informed her that her father had decided to have a reservation on a fancy restaurant around Seoul. Her mother telling her how much they both miss their youngest daughter.

A fancy steak house. Jisoo shrugged and just pick a white shirt and jeans and topped it with an oversized coat. She took one more look at the mirror and smiled. Her parents miss her no need to worry. 

The drive lasted longer than she thought it would, she looked at the rear view mirror and smiled at her appearance. 

"You can do it Jisoo, it's just your mom...... and dad." She cheered herself.

The moment she entered the restaurant she was already greeted by the smell of smoke and herbs. She loves places that smells nice. She asked the receptionist for the reservation and was ushered immediately on the VIP section.

Her family welcomed her with  warm hugs and smile. Even her father seems to be in a good mood tonight despite not actually acknowledging her arrival.

"We've already ordered our food but you can check the menu if you want other stuffs in here." Ji-yoon spoke with which Jisoo only declined with, saying she's good with what they chose.

The dinner went by quietly with the occasional talk about business and current events. Typical Kim dinner but all stopped when her father addresses the giant elephant in the room.

"Jisoo...." The youngest Kim stopped mid chewing when her father spoke. "How are you?" Jisoo hears the off tone on her father but she just chose to ignore it.

"Uhm...good, I'm actually adjusting quiet well." She smiled and cut a smaller portion of her steak.

"That's great honey." Her mother smiled warmly. 

"So when are you planning to come back home?" The head of the family asked. Still not sparing her any glance, which again Jisoo chose to ignore. "I'm pretty sure your mind must've cleared up by now. It's hard to maintain a lavish lifestyle like yours without any decent job." 

Jisoo's jaw tightened at her father's words. Her steak looking unappetizing in each passing second. Her sister and her mother was eyeing both her and her father wearily. 

"If only you've been just the perfect daughter like your sister, this family would've been perfect." He muttered to himself but it was loud enough to be heard clearly by everyone in the table, including Jisoo.

Jisoo's cutleries made a loud clang on the table as she abruptly let go of it. Throat tightening as she watch her mother's hand on her father's arm. Seemingly stopping him to bad mouth their daughter.

The head of the family calmly wiped his mouth with the napkin. "Why don't you work on our company, I'm pretty sure other companies would just decline you....."

The sound of the chair screeching on the floor made the old Kim look at her with steely gaze, which the youngest met with her own fierce eyes 

"And why won't they?" Her voice was strained. "You know dad, I was actually asking myself what's wrong with me? Why can't I seem to land a job because clearly my credentials are astonishing and every single company I went to told me that my credentials are brilliant. But why can't I fondyself a job, if I'm as good a they think I'am?" Jisoo enumerated her accomplishments and the University she went to, even the extra classes and the prestigious internship she bagged. "Now dad answer me, was I really the problem or was it you all along?" Jisoo was breathing heavily she was scared of what her father might say, she isn't ready, she doesn't think she will ever be ready for his answer.

The brunette watched as her father sat impossibly straighter, his hands crossed on his chest. "A brilliant mind like yours should only benefit our family, Jisoo."  All the woman of the family looked shocked at what the head of the family said. Even Mrs. Kim was flabbergasted at her husband's unapologetic smile.

Jisoo's humorless laugh bounced around the velvety walls of the VIP room they're in. "Wow...." She muttered. Her head shot up as she try to stop her tears. Jisoo only spoke again when she felt her mother and Ji-yoon's hands on hers.

She took a deep breath and gave her father a look of disdain. "I ing hate you!" She shouted not minding the buttler who seemed to be terrified at her family in each passing minutes. "Was it too hard to respect me as your daughter? or you just think we're all just a pawn on your Monopoly game huh?" She pounded the table. "Look at me! ing looking at me dad." Tears flowed down her eyes as her father's hand met her left cheek. Her mother was crying beside her nursing her bruised cheek. While her sister was beside her father, stopping him on landing another hand on her.

"You're the biggest dissappointment  in this family! How dare you go up  against me! I am your father!" Ji-yoon signalled for the buttler to go out the room as the Kim's settle their arguments. " I raised you, provided things for you, have you the be......."

"All that for what? So that Ji-yoon and I can work for your beloved company? Why won't you tell on our faces how much you value money and power over your own family?" 

"Jisoo...please." her mother pleaded. 

"No mom, I'm done with all these, I'm tired." She faced her father. "Dad, if you still have an ounce of respect for me.....please, don't ever bother me again and watch me as I prove you wrong." With that Jisoo grabbed her clutch bag and made her way outside the room. Her heart breaking as she saw her mother kneel with tears in her eyes while her father was trembling with anger. Shouting furiously as she chose the door behind her.

"Jisoo wait." Ji-yoon grabbed her arm to stop her. 

"Unnie." her sister pulls her in for a hug.

"Shhhh. It'll be fine. I'll come visit you tomorrow okay? Don't do anything stupid." Jisoo wiped her tear stained cheeks. "Call me when you're home. Okay?" She kissed her cheek and waved her good bye. 

Jisoo let her cries fill her car as she recall what transpired at their family dinner. How her father admitted to interfere with her job applications to how he thinks she's a dissappointment down to the fact that he just hit her. Ji-yoon assured her that things will be fine but she honestly didn't care about that right now. All she wants is to prove her father that she's more than what he think he made her. 

The moment Jisoo parked her car she rushed to go on her neighbor's door. Taking a deep breath as she knock on her door. Assuring herself that what she'll do is right.

"Jisoo?" Chaeyoung was surprised to see her neighbor in the middle of the night disheveled and with blood shot eyes. "A-are you okay?" She narrowed her eyes when she saw a bruise on her cheek.

Jisoo ignored her question and went straight to what she wanted. "I need that job Chaeyoung." The blonde wanted to ask so many questions but chose to keep mum because the older girl obviously did not want to talk about it.

"Sure...I'll come with you tomorrow." She smiled warmly at the brunette.

 

 

 

 


A/N thank you guys for the support and the comments. Keep it coming guys, I'd like to know what you think about this fic 💜

P.S. JenSoo soon 💜

P.P.S. don't mind the grammar and typos (sorry) ✌️