CHAPTER 4

The Purple Haired Manager

"My place or yours?" The blonde asked which only made the older girl open without uttering a word.

"Yours? Okay." Chaeyoung giggled. "Lead the way Jisoo." She moved out of the way and signalled for the older girl to walk ahead of her. Upon arriving to her door, the blonde gasped. "Oh my gosh, I live next door."

Jisoo bit her lips to prevent a smile as watch the blonde get excited over the fact that they are neighbors.

"You leave alone?"

Jisoo nodded.

"In a four bedroom apartment?"

Jisoo nodded again as she asked Chaeyoung to sit on her couch.

"Anything you'd like to drink?" Jisoo was already walking towards her kitchen and when she looked back, Chaeyoung was staring intently at her.

"What's your job?" Chaeyoung asked.

"None as of the moment." Jisoo answered shyly. "I'm still on the process of settling in." She chuckled awkwardly.

"Should I be worried that you've got no job but you were able to afford an expensive apartment?" Chaeyoung eyed her suspiciously. "Are you hiding something illegal?"

Jisoo was flabbergasted. "I'm sorry, what?"

Chaeyoung gasped. "Are you a reporter?" Jisoo frowned. "Maybe you're an informant." The blonde kept on rambling, making it more confusing for Jisoo.

"Chaeyoung-ssi." The blonde jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Jisoo...." Chaeyoung hastily removed her face mask.

A few seconds passed and the blonde cleared as an obvious attempt of cutting Jisoo's heavy stare.

"Uh...what do you want me to say? That you're beautiful? Cause you're beautiful Chaeyoung-ssi."

The blonde's cheeks were painted red as she heard Jisoo's compliments.

"N-no, I mean don't you know me?"

Jisoo frowned. "I--do I have to? Have we met before?"

Jisoo was never good with names but one thing she prides herself is how she can recognize people by their face. So now that the stranger who she met at the park started to act like Jisoo should now her only made the latter more frustrated with how things are going.

"No, Jisoo....look at me, like really look at me." Chaeyoung moved impossibly closer to Jisoo.

"Chaeyoung-ssi, I don't...." Jisoo paused and frowned. "Oh my gosh...did you think that we..." Jisoo made a back and forth gesture between her and the blonde.

The blonde frowned and her eyes widen before she laughed loudly.

"What? No!" The blonde moved away and chuckled. "Jisoo look at me haven't you seen me somewhere?" Chaeyoung looked like she's borderline offended.

"Look, Chaeyoung-ssi I don't think this is going nowhere just tell me, okay?" They we're obviously both frustrated.

"Oh, oh wait!" The blonde quickly unlocked her phone and showed her a picture of a beautiful woman. "Do you know her?" Jisoo shook her head 'no'. Chaeyoung scrolled another picture and showed a picture of a woman who had captivating eyes.

"Nope, still don't know her." Chaeyoung sighed loudly and opened YouTube, she showed her a video of an idol girl group. "Do you know them?" Chaeyoung asked with some new found hope but was quickly crushed when she saw Jisoo's stoic face.

"You're hopeless." The blonde was laughing and shaking her head.

"Yah, Chaeyoung-ssi!" Jisoo has some warning in her voice.

"Jisoo, who are you?" Chaeyoung tugged at the brunette's collar. "How come you don't know who I am?" The blonde's voice dripping with curiosity.

"I...uh, maybe because I have stayed overseas for the past 4 years that's why?" Jisoo sounded unsure, because honestly she doesn't know where this conversation is going.

"But still, you should've known me." Chaeyoung tilted her head and whispered but Jisoo caught on it. "Is it my lack of make up?"

Jisoo cleared to cut her neighbor's rambling.

"Jisoo, are you really not a reporter?" Chaeyoung asked which was urgently answered by Jisoo with a hard no.

The blonde exhaled loudly. "Gosh, I got paranoid, I'm sorry."

Jisoo relaxed a bit as she saw the blonde's caring smile. "Forgive me?" The blonde pouted.

"I..uh sure, no problem." Jisoo laughed awkwardly.

After their awkward encounter, Jisoo and Chaeyoung went on to clean and bandage the older girl's wound and scratches. They talked a little bit about their lives but didn't touch any topic about their work or Jisoo's lack of work. Chaeyoung is a sweet girl and Jisoo is more than happy to meet her despite her "weirdness".

"Oh my gosh, it's 3 am already?" The blonde gasped.

Jisoo cocked an eyebrow when she noticed the diamond studded watch of her neighbor.

"I have to leave now, still got work later this evening. I need to sleep." Chaeyoung smiled.

Jisoo nodded and stand. "Let me walk you home, please?"

The blonde hesitated for a few seconds but agreed nonetheless. They walked in silence and stopped just by Chaeyoung's door.

"Thank you for this." Jisoo pointed the bandage on her arm.

Chaeyoung smiled and nodded. "It was nice to meet you Jisoo."

"Pleasure is mi...."

The new found friends jumped slightly when they heard a gasp from the door.

"Chaeyoung?"

"Oh, unnie? Why are you still up?"

Jisoo silently watched the exchange of  her two gorgeous neighbors. Her musing stopped when she noticed the brunette's eyes on her.

"Who is she?" Jisoo heard the brunette asked.

"She's our neighbor." Chaeyoung smiled. The brunette hummed and gave her a nod and tight lip smile.

They all fell into an awkward silence which of course Jisoo could not handle.

"Sooo, um, I got to go?" She pointed back to her apartment. "Bye Chaeyoung." She ran back to her apartment but not before tripping in her own feet. "."

"Jisoo, oh my God." Chaeyoung rushed to her side and helped her up. They stared into each other before the blonde erupted into fits of laughter. "Seriously?"

Jisoo groaned and thanked her before rushing in on her apartment. She locked the door and knocked her head on it, still hearing Chaeyoung's faint laugh in the hallway.

......

Jisoo woke up later than usual. The sun's light  was already peeking through the gaps of her thick curtain. She sighed at the deafening silence of her place. Her brows furrowed when she heard her front door unlock, she groaned when she heard the familiar clicking of heels on wooden floor.

"Jisoo if you're not going to work yet atleast have some effort to socialize." Ji-yoon said as she open the curtains and sat at the lazy boy facing the window.

Jisoo peeked through her comforter. "Give me a break unnie."

"Your friends called me yesterday. She was asking if it's true that you're back now in Korea." Ji-yoon stand from her  seat. "Seriously, are you going through something?" Her sister's voice sounded so concerned.

Jisoo closed her eyes and sighed. "Identity crisis, a bad one." She exhaled loudly.

"Are you? Do you like girls?"

"Unnie, Identity crisis is not limited to questioning ual preferences. It's a lot more complex than that." She sat at her bed and leaned on the head board.

"Okay, chill I was just asking." The older Kim surrendered, she stopped laughing when she noticed Jisoo's bandaged arm and a few scratches on her face and arms. "What happened to you?"

"Bike accident." Jisoo rolled her eyes in annoyance when she heard her sister's snort. " So who called you?" She drove the topic away from her bike.

"Jisoo you have a small circle of friends, who do you expect to call other than them?"

"They all called?" Her brows rose.

"They all called." Ji-yoon confirmed. "All your pretty friends called. Are you sure you don't like girls?"

A pillow flew straight to Ji-yoon's face.

"They're my friends unnie and no I don't like girls." Jisoo yelled to which the older Kim only laughed out loud.

Ji-yoon only stayed for a little while and though she won't say it out loud, Jisoo knows that she's worried about her and just want to check up on her from time to time.

"I should really change my code." She sighed as she went on to make a cup of tea for herself

.......
Jisoo had decided to grab some pastries on the nearby café. She contemplated about riding her bicycle but her aching legs and arm was enough to remind her of what happened the last time she rode her bike.

"Jisoo?" speaking of last time. Jisoo almost snap her neck when she heard  Chaeyoung's muffled voice. There was the blonde, shining with her...well beautiful blonde hair model like physique. "Jisoo, Hi!"

Jisoo smiled. "Back with the mask?"

"Terrible allergy." Chaeyoung rolled her eyes with a laugh. "Where are you going? Wanna go grab brunch with me?" Jisoo did not even have the chance to say no because Chaeyoung is already dragging her.

While the older girl is being dragged around by the beautiful blonde, Jisoo could not help but think if the beautiful blonde might be having a crush on her. Not that she's against Chaeyoung's preference but the fact that the blonde seems to like her a little bit too much than the ordinary is enough of a red flag for Jisoo. 

"Chaeyoung-sii, I'm not interested with relationships right now." Jisoo stopped walking and spoke albeit quickly, which earned her another eye roll from the blonde.

"Same goes for me Jisoo but I don't go around prancing and telling people I'm not interested."

The older raised an eyebrow. "Look you're pretty and funny but you're waaaaaaaay ahead of yourself here. I just want a normal life and you're the closest to normalcy for me because you're too naive." The blonde's hand was flailing around as she explains. Jisoo watched with a smile as Chaeyoung skipped ahead of her. "Jisoo! come on! brunch won't wait even if you're pretty." Jisoo run and chuckled not minding the fact that Chaeyoung called her naive a few seconds ago.

..............

"Job?" Jisoo repeated.

"Yes, job!" the blonde exclaimed. "You know, what people do to earn money."

"I know what a work is Chaeng." Jisoo chuckled as she bit on her fork. "I told you I don't work....yet."

"You mean you haven't found one.....yet."

The older nodded. Both went into a comfortable silence as only the clicking of the utensils were heard.

"Sooo....um, What can you say about being a manager?" Chaeyoung supplied.

"Is this a job interview?" Jisoo chuckled. "Manager? that's not an entry level job."

"Entry level? But you said you're 24." Chaeyoung asked.

"Well I...I went to travel for one year, I also took a lot of short courses in between my actual years of studies and...."

Chaeyoung's chewing stopped. "You're a Chaebol." the fork was accusingly pointed at her.

Jisoo scoffed. "What? No! Do I look like a snobby spoiled brat to you?" Jisoo crossed her arms on her chest.

The blondes eyes narrowed as she leans closer to the uneasy woman in front of her. "You don't look like a snobby spoiled brat but you do look like you can buy this café." 

Jisoo sipped on her coffee nervously. Her family can actually buy the café they're in. She squirmed in her seat when she saw the blonde's eyes scanning her body.

"Chaeyoung-ah stop checking me out." Jisoo whined.

 "Who are you? like for real?" 

Jisoo sighed and slumped on her seat. "I'm not a reporter or an informant, whatever that is you insist about me, so chill the out" Jisoo reached for her coffee and sipped on it. " I came from a well off family but I'm not a chaebol, we don't have the old type of money and I'm too kind to be one of them." Jisoo chuckled. "What about you Chaeyoung?" Jisoo leaned towards the blonde. "Who are you really?"

Chaeyoung smiled. "Wouldn't you want to know huh, Jisoo?"